API Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Worthwhile Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time

Pros

Abundant opportunities for personal growth, they show genuine interest in helping their customers, and the work environment is professional without being stifling. Above all, the team is easy to work with and eager to assist on most problems.

Cons

It's sometimes difficult to find work to do.

Advice to Management

People who go into software development/maintenance/implementation are problem solvers. They're most effective when they're given a clear problem with a clearly defined solution.

"Management"

I worked at API Healthcare full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and skill building opportunities. The consistent growth of the company meant there were plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Sold and merged with several companies during my time there, now owned by GE Healthcare. Makes for lots of chaos and disconnection between support staff and management.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to streamline administration and services. A great company to work for but I left because of lack of direction...I was unable to do my job because there were so many poorly implemented changes.

3. "API Review"

Pros

The people. Most all of the associates I have worked with really care about doing a good job for the customers, and people frequently go the extra mile to respond to customer needs.

Cons

Like any growing company, even though many challenges have been overcome throughout the journey there are always new challenges to overcome. This can put a good bit of strain on the associates and can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Do your best to take good care of the associates so they can do their best to take good care of the customers.

"they are kidding themselves"

Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at API Healthcare full-time

Pros

you get to say you work at "GE" because you do on paper (but you dont get to work on any cool ge stuff. you just inherit all their processes and corporate BS)
    good place to work if just interested in collecting a consistent mediocre paycheck
    after working here you can leave one day and sit around at lunch with family, friends, or new coworkers and laugh and point at / feel sorry for everyone still working at api healthcare and losing at life

Cons

developers and qa are in denial about how good the tech industry is outside of their bubble because it threatens their comfort zone
    architects dont have any unique skills transferrable to modern software companies because api Healthcare does not innovate
    upper mgmt asks employees to stop writing glassdoor reviews and says 'trust your mgr and give them feedback directly. trust us. trust us.' but they are forgetting their own accountability training: experiences have led to the belief in the truth that mgrs look after themselves first. problems with the team are assumed to be developer's problem instead of mgmt
    hack days are really just ways to get devs to do stuff on the product roadmap, not innovate
    in denial about the fact that they don't really do agile anymore
    terrible office- an entire floor of a large building filled with male engineers all sharing two toilets. so much pee on feet always.
    desperately needs subject matter experts, but experts only willing to do contract work because they can smell the stink that is api healthcare from a mile away and take comfort in the fact that their time there is temporary while getting paid alot
    QA department is not engineers by any standard and thrive off meetings and talking fancy
    devs and qa are in denial about how HORRIBLY under market they are being paid
    app quality sucks
    mobile app quality sucks even harder
    teams never heard of any JS library besides jQuery, ExtJS, or angular. that is their idea of modern- and even then no one really knows what they are doing with any of those. wat?
    toxic interpersonal problems
    hr violations up the wazoo every day

Advice to Management

please continue to lie to yourself, otherwise you'd feel terrible. wouldn't want that

5. "Acquisition Growing Pains"

Pros

Colleagues, benefits (medical, dental, vision, pension, 401K)

Cons

Lost the small business feel, clients are noting they feel "nickel and dimed" and yet we are instituting more and more costly options to bring in more revenue. Millions of dollars for innovation were to be given to API for GE, yet our innovation teams feel smaller as they are able to accomplish less than they have done in years past. Directive to incorporate more GE Corporate individuals into positions, especially leadership to help foster the integration; we are losing valuable internal staff because of this.

Advice to Management

Remember what made API and acquired companies good and stellar in the customers minds. We are losing sight of this and losing the value add to our clients.

6. "Still a good company"

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time

Pros

Granted it has become more corporate since GE Healthcare bought them, but I still enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

Since it is more corporate, it seems to take longer to get things resolved, more channels to go through.

"Needs a few more years..."

Pros

a family friendly atmosphere. friendly people. Allows some people in the service area to work remotely. Just purchased by GE Healthcare.

Cons

Not ready for prime time. Too many old timers that seem to be trying to keep the company to themselves. Be interesting to see what happens when GE starts meddling.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your customers are saying. Create a new on boarding process for the services consultants. Hire more people, you are burning the rest of the consultants out..

8. "Interview experience"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The interview process was very structured and went pretty quickly. I was contacted by a recruiter for an initial screening interview. A week later I had a interview via Skype with the hiring manager and another person. The next day I was contacted by a phone interview with HR. They made me an offer the following week. The entire process took about two weeks minimum.

Cons

I would recommend offering more details about the companies products and solutions during the interview process..

"Exciting opportunities, plenty of room to improve"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location and many good people to work with. Flexible with time off and vacations. Company is moving fast and growing quickly. Exciting future prospects. Easy to grow and advance if YOU take the initiative.

Cons

Salary compensation is below market average. Benefit package is not flexible with associates not living nearby. GE acquisition has added red tape that slowed us down. Management does not communicate enough about their initiatives and what's coming next. Management does not spend appropriate time coaching and growing their associates.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent on your initiatives and to how your staff can help you accomplish them. Put your associates first and spend time coaching and growing them to succeed.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working at API for over 10 years. It is a great place to work. The people are great. I feel like we matter in the world. We are trying to do our part to keep the cost of healthcare down. That is a great motivator.

The GE acquisition has opened a lot of doors, both individually and for the company. We now have access to 300,000 other employees. There are opportunities to move positions within GE and keep seniority. As for the company, GE Healthcare is investing heavily in our business because they believe in what we do. That is allowing us to do things we never could in the past.

We get great benefits. Very generous vacation/personal/sick time.

Cons

Hartford is a little bit out of the way, but it isn't that bad. 30 min drive and you are in Milwaukee.