API Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Lisa A. LaBau

1. "Interview experience"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The interview process was very structured and went pretty quickly. I was contacted by a recruiter for an initial screening interview. A week later I had a interview via Skype with the hiring manager and another person. The next day I was contacted by a phone interview with HR. They made me an offer the following week. The entire process took about two weeks minimum.

Cons

I would recommend offering more details about the companies products and solutions during the interview process..

"they are kidding themselves"

Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at API Healthcare full-time

Pros

you get to say you work at "GE" because you do on paper (but you dont get to work on any cool ge stuff. you just inherit all their processes and corporate BS)
    good place to work if just interested in collecting a consistent mediocre paycheck
    after working here you can leave one day and sit around at lunch with family, friends, or new coworkers and laugh and point at / feel sorry for everyone still working at api healthcare and losing at life

Cons

developers and qa are in denial about how good the tech industry is outside of their bubble because it threatens their comfort zone
    architects dont have any unique skills transferrable to modern software companies because api Healthcare does not innovate
    upper mgmt asks employees to stop writing glassdoor reviews and says 'trust your mgr and give them feedback directly. trust us. trust us.' but they are forgetting their own accountability training: experiences have led to the belief in the truth that mgrs look after themselves first. problems with the team are assumed to be developer's problem instead of mgmt
    hack days are really just ways to get devs to do stuff on the product roadmap, not innovate
    in denial about the fact that they don't really do agile anymore
    terrible office- an entire floor of a large building filled with male engineers all sharing two toilets. so much pee on feet always.
    desperately needs subject matter experts, but experts only willing to do contract work because they can smell the stink that is api healthcare from a mile away and take comfort in the fact that their time there is temporary while getting paid alot
    QA department is not engineers by any standard and thrive off meetings and talking fancy
    devs and qa are in denial about how HORRIBLY under market they are being paid
    app quality sucks
    mobile app quality sucks even harder
    teams never heard of any JS library besides jQuery, ExtJS, or angular. that is their idea of modern- and even then no one really knows what they are doing with any of those. wat?
    toxic interpersonal problems
    hr violations up the wazoo every day

Advice to Management

please continue to lie to yourself, otherwise you'd feel terrible. wouldn't want that

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working at API for over 10 years. It is a great place to work. The people are great. I feel like we matter in the world. We are trying to do our part to keep the cost of healthcare down. That is a great motivator.

The GE acquisition has opened a lot of doors, both individually and for the company. We now have access to 300,000 other employees. There are opportunities to move positions within GE and keep seniority. As for the company, GE Healthcare is investing heavily in our business because they believe in what we do. That is allowing us to do things we never could in the past.

We get great benefits. Very generous vacation/personal/sick time.

Cons

Hartford is a little bit out of the way, but it isn't that bad. 30 min drive and you are in Milwaukee.

4. "Continues to be a great place to work and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, WI

Pros

Continuous improvement culture, amazing growth, team transparency, large investment in products, and people care. Enjoy being part of GE.

Cons

M&A/Integration activities have been distracting in the last 5 years, but things have settled down and we are getting more and more focused everyday.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the the things that differentiate us from our competitors and why our customers love us.

5. "Very Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very nice place to work. The company cares for their employees. Management is really nice and always tries to keep the employees happy. Very good work culture and very nice co -workers. Also the benefits are very good.

Cons

Little bit far from Milwaukee.

"Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management cares for their associates, fast growing company, excellent culture and work-life balance, challenging work that keeps your mind thinking every day

Cons

Some of the processes need to be refined to make my job easier, some of the products are outdated and need a fresh look.

7. "Great Place To Settle In"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, WI

Pros

The coworkers go out of their way to help you. If you think you have a stupid question, it probably isn't - make sure to ask. Fresh faces means new ideas, and that is what keeps products continually refined. Remote working + flexible hours is definitely a nice bonus.

Cons

Hartford is a little bit outside of the metro Milwaukee area if you enjoy that culture. But don't let that persuade you! Easy highway access makes commute feel short plus there is a lot of new places opening near and around Hartford.

8. "Great company with many opportunities, Excellent Reputation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Open door policy with executive management team
    - Transparency
    - Global company with many opportunities throughout the world
    - A positive and diverse culture
    - Advanced employee education is encouraged, and in many cases, sponsored.

Cons

- Many internal systems and processes; some necessary, some not.

9. "Still a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GE has really allowed API Healthcare to stay intact and keep our culture and identity. We have always been a very team oriented company, close knit and family oriented. I'm glad to say that this has not changed and we have enhanced opportunities to better ourselves and that of the experience of our clients.

Cons

There are always some challenges when a smaller company is purchased or merges with another bigger company, but for the most part, the hiccups have been minor.

Advice to Management

Continue striving to keep the unique and wonderful culture that API Healthcare has always had.

10. "Still a Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Hartford, WI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Hartford, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having been through multiple acquisitions, the leadership team still attempts to look out for employees like they are family. Our health and well-being are very important. There is a great deal of opportunity for advancement and employees are encouraged to make their aspirations known. There is a true effort to match you with the right job for you.

Cons

Understanding corporate GE structure can be a challenge.