Absolute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Geoff Haydon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They really take care of their employees by promoting a healthy work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• great people willing to share their expertise (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Dischord at the C-level: personal agendas seem to trump strategic objectives (in 7 reviews)

• A lot of pressure from senior management, especially quarter end (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great progress"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is investing heavily into new security and management features. Teams are settling into the Agile cadence, and development environment has improved greatly over the past year. Product features are growing substantially and potential market is growing as a result.

Cons

Responsibilities for components are still in flux as teams take over different features and devops techniques continue to mature.

"Lack of employee focus"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Absolute full-time

Pros

Great product and has a chance to explode if they market it correctly. Do invest in employees on training.

Cons

Below market pay. They have taken away the chance to hit quarterly accelerator's. Which means less in employee pocket and more in company based on your performance. A lot of pressure from senior management, especially quarter end. Job can be stressful due to this. May consider training for managers up to C level on how to treat people.

Advice to Management

Better bonus plans, invest more on performance. Provide senior level training on how to treat employees.

3. "Inspired, High Energy and Respectful Environment"

I have been working at Absolute full-time

Pros

All of the positives of a growth startup without the excruciating hours and bad behavior. My customers are fanatical about the technology, communication is good, our marketing messages are great, lots of career growth opportunities and accomplished security industry execs are joining. Plus, we are growing and investing heavily in R&D--all good indicators of future success. The offices are also really nice and I like my colleagues. Feels more like family.

Cons

In the midst of transformation, so we need better processes and infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. Invest in collaboration technology.

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back casual place to work

Cons

I don't really have any cons.

"Great Management"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Towson, MD

I have been working at Absolute part-time

Pros

I am currently getting my undergrad degree and could not find a job that worked with my schedule. This company was able to work with my class schedule during the week, giving me a chance to continue with my degree while staying employed.I hope to stay with this company after I finish my degree in May!

Cons

The amazing money comes with long hours

6. "Great place to be!"

Pros

Great people, great product. Lots of opportunity for professional growth. Huge market potential with the product.

Cons

Things are changing fast, so if you are looking for something that is slow and stable, this is not the place for you.

"Company has changed a lot with the new CEO, and not for the better"

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly. Very large sales force for company its size. They do invest a lot in their product. Good chance to hit your numbers if you're in the right territory. Not a lot of diversification in product portfolio. There's only one product now so they can focus on that single product. Company meetings are usually in beautiful Vancouver.

For US employees they cover your health insurance. Rest of your family is extra.

They do match your 401K.

Cons

High turnover in sales staff. Their idea of staff development is to bring someone in for a 1-2 day seminar. The most training you get is during the annual sales conference. Sucks for you if you get hired a week after the sales conference. There's not a lot of mentoring. Company originally was great about cross-selling all their products to customers of their Computrace product. New hired gun CEO comes in from EMC and decides to sell off all non-Computrace products to focus on security. They rename the product to some incomprehensible acronym DDS with no brand recognition. Existing customers that were cross-sold products predictably get angry that they got rid of the non-Computrace products. Corp culture changed a lot after the original CEO was pushed out.

They are terrible about raises. Aim high with your salary requirements because once you get hired that's probably going to be your permanent salary. I didn't get a pay adjustment once the entire time I was there.

New CEO from EMC is a corporate robot. Listening to him talk during company meetings was bizarre as every other word out of his mouth was a corporate buzzword. There was no meaningful content behind it. Try listening to one of their quarterly shareholder meetings if you're wondering what it's like.

A lot of the security functionality they are providing will eventually get rolled into the Windows and Mac OS. Without a diversified product portfolio the company is toast.

Advice to Management

If you're going to sell a product off don't announce it to the world until after the sale goes through you dummies. Announcing you're getting rid of a product in advance is like throwing chum into the water around a bunch of sharks. It devalues your product as customers flee and competitors swoop in to steal your customers. Guess selling the product for the highest price possible was a lower priority then selling it off ASAP.

Get a new CEO and hire a decent marketing team. Especially get rid of the person that decided that DDS was a better name than Computrace. Way to destroy decades of branding.

"unusally odd sales"

I have been working at Absolute full-time

Pros

great unique security niche, a couple really good managers. Ask you who will be reporting to as its 1000% different in some cases

Cons

old school micro management. like someone read a how to sales book from the late 80's. tread carefully.

"Company is Absolutely Clueless"

I worked at Absolute full-time

Pros

I had ample travel opportunities and good work-life balance while working for Absolute. There were many great people with great minds in the company as well.

Cons

When the current CEO came into the picture in June 2014, his CV gave many people high hopes with expectations of a great future for the company. Morale was high. However, it was all downhill since. Anyone who questioned the CEO's authority or raised any conflicting opinions was sent packing.

The attempt to rebrand the company and refocus the core technology and product from an IT asset management solution into an InfoSec solution was appealing. However, their grand design failed in execution. It would appear that management failed to realise that by making Absolute an InfoSec solution provider, it now faced a different set of competitors in the market segment. Due to the refocus, management had also decided to neglect the education sector, which has traditionally been their biggest customer base.

The company has also failed to capitalise on growing globally. The mantra of "let's replicate our successes in North America to the rest of the world" every year, and having to replace the sales people around the world every other year, doesn't seem to faze management. Their inability to realise that the world does not work like North America is unbelievable.

All the good people have left. However few good ones that are remaining, hangs on to the hope that the company can turn around one day.

Advice to Management

Do you really need that many CxOs? And even if you really do, the company isn't working like a well-oiled machine like it's supposed to if you haven't already noticed. Getting rid of people who can work and give two hoots about the company, and replacing them with those that supposedly "share your vision", which basically just means yes-people, is driving the company into the ground.

"Oh boy....."

I worked at Absolute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Persistence technology in the BIOS is a great thing. Window has close though, Windows 10 and Google providing free services will end this advantage.

Cons

Leadership, Management. Neither of which should be used to describe what's going on at this place. Most dysfunctional, amateur hour place I've ever seen. Been is business for 21 years and have 18 VPs of Sales..... Pinging Linked-In contacts should not be your sales strategy.

Advice to Management

Good luck!!! Maybe in 6 months when you're still not hitting your numbers #19 will work.