Absolute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Geoff Haydon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working time is flexible and promoting work-life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "great people willing to share their expertise" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of pressure from senior management, especially quarter end" (in 7 reviews)

• "Dischord at the C-level: personal agendas seem to trump strategic objectives" (in 7 reviews)

1. "great company"

I worked at Absolute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

this was a decent company

Cons

the management could have been better

"Corp Greed at its finest"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great technology and a great office space in downtown Vancouver

Cons

CEO and CFO are really only concerned with lining their own pockets. Most of SR Mgmt is subservient to them and walk around on egg shells

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and CFO bring in new leadership that cares about building a company and rewarding its people for success

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, lots of lunches provided. Flexibility work hours, able to work from home some days.

Cons

Management was not great, short staffed and work was stressful trying to meet SLA. No training what so ever, pay was sub par but other positions did pay well. I guess it's who you know

Advice to Management

Try to check on your employees and take feedback when they ask for help and listen well.

"Lack of employee focus"

I worked at Absolute full-time

Pros

Great product and has a chance to explode if they market it correctly. Do invest in employees on training.

Cons

Below market pay. They have taken away the chance to hit quarterly accelerator's. Which means less in employee pocket and more in company based on your performance. A lot of pressure from senior management, especially quarter end. Job can be stressful due to this. May consider training for managers up to C level on how to treat people.

Advice to Management

Better bonus plans, invest more on performance. Provide senior level training on how to treat employees.

"Great progress"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is investing heavily into new security and management features. Teams are settling into the Agile cadence, and development environment has improved greatly over the past year. Product features are growing substantially and potential market is growing as a result.

Cons

Responsibilities for components are still in flux as teams take over different features and devops techniques continue to mature.

6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back casual place to work

Cons

I don't really have any cons.

"Great Management"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Towson, MD

I have been working at Absolute part-time

Pros

I am currently getting my undergrad degree and could not find a job that worked with my schedule. This company was able to work with my class schedule during the week, giving me a chance to continue with my degree while staying employed.I hope to stay with this company after I finish my degree in May!

Cons

The amazing money comes with long hours

"Company has changed a lot with the new CEO, and not for the better"

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly. Very large sales force for company its size. They do invest a lot in their product. Good chance to hit your numbers if you're in the right territory. Not a lot of diversification in product portfolio. There's only one product now so they can focus on that single product. Company meetings are usually in beautiful Vancouver.

For US employees they cover your health insurance. Rest of your family is extra.

They do match your 401K.

Cons

High turnover in sales staff. Their idea of staff development is to bring someone in for a 1-2 day seminar. The most training you get is during the annual sales conference. Sucks for you if you get hired a week after the sales conference. There's not a lot of mentoring. Company originally was great about cross-selling all their products to customers of their Computrace product. New hired gun CEO comes in from EMC and decides to sell off all non-Computrace products to focus on security. They rename the product to some incomprehensible acronym DDS with no brand recognition. Existing customers that were cross-sold products predictably get angry that they got rid of the non-Computrace products. Corp culture changed a lot after the original CEO was pushed out.

They are terrible about raises. Aim high with your salary requirements because once you get hired that's probably going to be your permanent salary. I didn't get a pay adjustment once the entire time I was there.

New CEO from EMC is a corporate robot. Listening to him talk during company meetings was bizarre as every other word out of his mouth was a corporate buzzword. There was no meaningful content behind it. Try listening to one of their quarterly shareholder meetings if you're wondering what it's like.

A lot of the security functionality they are providing will eventually get rolled into the Windows and Mac OS. Without a diversified product portfolio the company is toast.

Advice to Management

If you're going to sell a product off don't announce it to the world until after the sale goes through you dummies. Announcing you're getting rid of a product in advance is like throwing chum into the water around a bunch of sharks. It devalues your product as customers flee and competitors swoop in to steal your customers. Guess selling the product for the highest price possible was a lower priority then selling it off ASAP.

Get a new CEO and hire a decent marketing team. Especially get rid of the person that decided that DDS was a better name than Computrace. Way to destroy decades of branding.

9. "Great place to be!"

Pros

Great people, great product. Lots of opportunity for professional growth. Huge market potential with the product.

Cons

Things are changing fast, so if you are looking for something that is slow and stable, this is not the place for you.

"unusally odd sales"

I have been working at Absolute full-time

Pros

great unique security niche, a couple really good managers. Ask you who will be reporting to as its 1000% different in some cases

Cons

old school micro management. like someone read a how to sales book from the late 80's. tread carefully.