Aecon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aecon President & CEO John M. Beck
John M. Beck

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, Informal working environment (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits, management support employees, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance needs to be established early on and maintained because if you give they will take (in 5 reviews)

• Too many long hours for the backpay, e (in 6 reviews)

1. "Calculate loads and design HVAC systems for new construction buildings and/or renovations; create whole building models"

Pros

Great bosses and multiple company events

Cons

Pay is too low for degree

"Clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what it actually is"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Aecon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, there are very few positives to being here. Of those, we have solid benefits and, personally, my co-workers are a lot of fun and help me make it through the week. Sadly, that's about it. Aecon is doing very little to retain me as an employee.

Cons

Get ready for a good read!

There's a clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what actually happens here. Aecon is continually on the "Best Employers in Canada" list, but our scores - which are shown to employees in HR-led meetings/witch hunts - are laughably low. Despite the Best Employers survey being anonymous, management tries to figure out who gave low scorings or made negative comments that are meant as discussion pieces toward positive change. Anything brought up in these meetings is made an action item and quickly forgotten about. Nothing ever changes and the same mistakes are made year after year.

Management continues to take on more work when there's no capacity for it. There are weeks where you can't even get out of your chair for lunch in order to make a deadline. In meetings, management stands behind the fact that there's no budget to hire more bodies to take on the ever-increasing work loads. They blame the company's target EBITDA. Meanwhile, the existing team members are miserable and disengaged. If someone quits (happens a lot), their work load is cut up and distributed to the team. We are severely understaffed and demoralized, which leads to a semi-toxic environment filled with passive aggressive behaviour.

Aecon's career advancement system is severely flawed. Without exaggerating, everyone here is a vice president of something, even if they have no one working under them. Everyone is entitled to advance their career every few years with little to no raise, so employees move up until they hit a fictitious ceiling. There's a lot of lateral movement where employees change job titles but do the exact same job.

Right now, I do the work of three employees on the same pay grade that I started at two years ago. A large portion of my work load right now isn't even in my job description. Talk about the company getting bang for their buck. I'm over-extended and completely disengaged.

Management will make decisions without your expertise on projects you're expected to deliver. You're hired for your skill set and knowledge but they won't tap into it to build an efficient foundation for success. Instead, they will drive the project without knowing what it takes to reach the end product. It's like forcing a ship captain to fly an airplane. All that matters is getting it done as fast as possible. This leads to a lot of wasted time, mistakes being made and immense frustration. Voicing your opinion about concerns leads to hostility and defensive behaviour from management. There's an unnatural obsession with over-delivering when everyone should be managing expectations and grounding promises in realism.

Aecon is very reactive to situations, at least in my department. You're never given enough logical time to complete a project. You're expected to perform miracles in half the time that's physically needed. If you do turn water into wine, you're given a handshake and told to do it again. Aecon will take everything you give them with very little reward, which I suspect is universal within corporate culture.

Meetings are of very little value and last way too long. They're often scheduled to meet the needs of someone in senior management, which means they will almost always be at the end of the day an hour before you normally go home. Expect to stay late listening to the same three people talking for three hours about subjects that are of no concern to your deliverables.

Work-life balance is hit and miss. You will receive emails all hours of the day, will be called on your cell while you're driving into work at 6:30 a.m., and will have to come into work on a scheduled vacation day (no joke). I've received emails on holidays and at hours when you should be romancing your spouse.

By far, one of the worst aspects of working at Aecon, or in Toronto for that matter, is the commute. I spend 12 hours a week driving. That's a work day and a half with no pay. I also use a tank of gas in five days. I arrive angry, perform my job angry and pull into my driveway angry. This is no way to live your life.

I'm sure all of these things are universal issues people have with their jobs, but I'm over being beaten down. I invite you to stand up against the same if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. You will always find another job and life will go on without you. Find happiness for yourself while you're still here.

Advice to Management

They won't read this, so it doesn't even make a difference. They need to read my "Cons" and figure it out for themselves. I make it pretty clear.

3. "Good Experience"

Pros

Multiple disciplines to learn from. Lots of opportunities.

Cons

Nature of the project industry

5. "coordinator"

Pros

lots of work available safety culture

Cons

long hours easy to get unnoticed

6. "Aecon -great place to stay in the same position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)

I worked at Aecon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Try hard to keep themselves in the Top Employers in Canada status.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement

7. "Its ok"

Current Employee - Driver in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Driver in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aecon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is only thing that keeps me there
    Its a place i try my hardest to stay but its getting harder

Cons

Challenges are dealing with co-workers smoking things other than cigarettes daily.

Advice to Management

Need to investigate properly undercover blend in and you will find.really needs to be dealt wiith its getting (got) outa control.its got to where they can hide what they do with electric device's to mask smells what they do .laird and eglinton yard.( Wick)needs a wake up call .
    As for management and foreman well its a buddy buddy system .they have guys with no liscence or even guys with dui's working ahead of decent working family guys who struggle .

8. "they take advantage of immigrants paying them as little as possible."

Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Caledon, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Caledon, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aecon full-time

Pros

nothing, I would say get out ASAP or don't take the job

nothing, I would say get out ASAP or don't take the job

Cons

pay is really low, they don't care about employees, they just care about max profits.

they take advantage of immigrants paying them as little as possible because they know they need a job ASAP to support their families even thought most of the time are overqualified for the job.

Advice to Management

be fair

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

The core values of this company are what drive it to success

Cons

Cant tihnk of any at the moment

10. "Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Aecon (More than a year)

Pros

They provide extensive support and training in all manners of the business, allowing you to not only progress through the company but gain valuable skills along the way

Cons

Being such a large company it is often hard to get through to specific people when you need them

11. "Overall Company"

Pros

If you're in a good position, ex: a supervisor position or above, you will be compensated well. Other worker get paid peanuts in comparison, they are over-worked and really under appreciated.

Cons

This organization is full of politics. If your not related to someone, your chances of moving up are slim to none. I've seen so many times where the unqualified boss' child and friends, move up and get promoted over workers who actually deserve it. Sad to say it, but its the truth.

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism.