Affinity Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Steve Schmidt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "HI"

I have been working at Affinity part-time

Pros

A family feel to the company

Cons

Management need to hire new human resource

Advice to Management

Get it together

Aug 10, 2017 – Fulfillment Leader

Not the right Affinity, Inc. We don't hire part time people. We hire high-level IT Management Consultants. And we don't have "human resource" department. Not sure what this is about.... More

2. "Horrible place to work"

I worked at Affinity part-time

Pros

The residents makes it rewarding

Cons

Everything about this company is sad!!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Affinity Recruiter - best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Affinity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Affinity is the best of both worlds, a small privately owned company, with opportunities to work on challenging large-scale projects that will keep your skills fresh.

The management team represents everything I have looked for in an employer; down to earth, engaging, super smart people who know how to help companies solve their business problems with IT Solutions and the best talent.

I have been a Tech Recruiter for Affinity for 3 years, and when I talk with candidates, I tell them they would be lucky to work under the direction of our Business Managers, as they are all interested in developing not only technical skills, but in helping with career growth as well.

My boss Tom Keyes has been an amazing mentor to me, helping me to be not only as a recruiter, but as an individual.

Cons

Hmmm..this is tough. 20 word minimum, so I will say that the only con I can think of, is that Tom and Steve don't visit L.A enough!

Advice to Management

Advice to management. Another hmmm...Keep doing everything you are doing, keeping employees engaged, and seriously making more visits from Milwaukee, and start thinking about opening an L.A office!

"Stable work, nice people, interesting work at client site"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Affinity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company hires you for your skills and experience. Most of the positions require at least 7-10 years of work and the firm looks for people who can get stuff done. The firm highly values people who are self-starters, and can step into a professional environment in their field and become part of the team at a client site.

They do not micro-manage. It is up to you to figure out how to get it done. There are monthly tag ups via video conferencing to provide feedback and discuss work items.

Advancement in terms of compensation is based on client feedback so your customer on-site is where you need to put the focus.

The counterbalance is that you get to solve interesting problems for the client with clear ownership of the process and getting results.

The firm has industry competitive pay and benefits and this year significantly enriched the 401K program. Pay is actually a bit above the norm. If you want professional development, like learning a new project management method, or a new software package, just ask.

Finally, management has stated repeatedly that work / life balance is important as a value in its own right and in terms of employee retention.

Cons

The embedded consultant role isn't for everyone. You are on your own on a day to day basis with the client and must depend on your professional judgement about what to do, when to do it, and so forth. The company is very lean in terms of top management, but they are responsive if you need help.

Also, the company's lean culture also goes to the issue of positions, titles, and other rack and stack HR stuff. For instance, business cards do not have titles on them. It is refreshing, but can be a bit of a change for someone coming out of a more rigid work environment.

Advice to Management

Probably could do more to encourage employees to take ownership of professional development investments and to set expectations about always keeping skills sharp.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Affinity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative Environment. This is a true solution based Consulting firm with great Portfolio, Project and Program Management solutions among other things. Staff is fun and impressed with Project Managers employed here. Client focused.

Cons

There are not a lot of concerns that could be designated as a con. Maybe more company communication with consultants at client site.

6. "Creative Mentor- Job Review"

Current Employee - Unit Supervisor - Creative Mentor in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Unit Supervisor - Creative Mentor in Pune (India)

I have been working at Affinity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freshers are welcome
    Basic Training and knowledge building
    Gives opportunity to work under moderate pressure
    Direct co-ordination with seniors is possible that allows personal development
    Open for change provided the work culture is not hampered

Cons

Growth possibilities are limited to high performers
    Initial package structure is uniform for all employees being appointed on 1 post

Advice to Management

Necessity to take steps for retention of the capable employees using

Aug 10, 2017 – Fulfillment Leader

Not the right Affinity, Inc. We hire high-level IT Management Consultants, not "Unit Supervisors", and we employ no one in India.

"Just Average"

Pros

Generally good pay, clean work environment, some opportunities for advancement, hardly any micromanagement, good career coaching if you're lucky enough to earn the favor of one of the key management players.

Cons

While they claim to be consultants, much of what Affinity does is actually staff augmentation, which means that employees' futures with the company are not as secure as they are lead to believe, i.e. you are brought on as a "perm" employee, but if your contract at the client ends, through no fault of your own, it's advisable to start looking for a new gig. Employees are sometimes made to feel as simply a commodity. Management can, at times, be biased toward employees who they choose as pet projects while other employees are left in the field w/ little guidance. Culture can, at times, be unprofessional and includes gossip, inappropriate discussions and behavior from management, and way too ego driven.

Advice to Management

Communicate more transparently with your employees. Provide professional develop guidance to EVERY employee, not just those you seem to have a personal affinity for. Provide positive feeback when warranted, not just constructive criticism. Be honest about an employee's status with the company, i.e. if their employment is dependent on a particular contract, tell them that. Don't let them think they'll be there for the long haul, even if their contract expires.

Feb 2, 2015 – Affinity Recruiter -IT Solutions

This is not the Affinity or mgmt I work for currently.

We do hire people as salaried employees to work on-site at our client locations; we also hire for W-2 and C2C arrangements. There is risk in... More