Agate Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Timothy C. Pearl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Configuration Specialist"

I worked at Agate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for easy work if you have the basic concepts of programming down. Company is very open to cross-training if you show them the aptitude. HR is very down to earth and perfect for entry level 20-somethings who don't want to deal with out-of-date HR practices and people. The work-life balance is great and the company spares no expense to make sure that their culture is great as well.

Cons

The entrance to the building is right off the highway in Okemos so it is a huge pain to get to work and out of work at 8am/5pm. The configuration specialist title is secretly a joke. I think anyone with very low skill set can do the job but the bright side is that at least the company looks into your skill-sets if you show aptitude for programming.

Advice to Management

Offer just a tiny bit more money to diamond in the rough type entry level employees. Hire a help desk technician who can actually deal with tier1/tier2 service requests so that the network analyst doesn't have to handle them.

2. "Software Company?"

Pros

The company focuses on trying to build a team environment. They bring in food on a regular basis and try to offer a happy hour every month.

Cons

The way and manor in which clients are billed is not clear, concise, or realiable. The pay could be way more competitive. They try not to focus on "titles", but when it comes to review time, bonuses, and raises, they strictly relie on this terrible excel spreadsheet that they deem is their reasoning. The small perks they offer is just a way to keep people somewhat content and a way to not offer raises.

Advice to Management

Get a better trainer, and update the training procedures. Team leads need to be consistent across the board when it comes to work, procedures and training. Companies don't lose employees , management loses employees.

"RUN, do not walk as far away as possible from this outfit"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could say something positive about my time with Agate but truly in all respects, this company fails miserably when it comes to employee work conditions and attitudes and overall office energy . Oh yes, they have free parking - there, a positive item to their credit.

Cons

In order to do the job, you need to learn the software. Big issue is that there are no training manuals or any training plans of any sort. The software is very form-intensive and each decision point has an impact on activities far later in the process. My issue is not with the software - it is the fact the my training was to sit behind various other staff (who all wear headsets and listen to music) and watch them design the forms. No context, no explanation of process flow - just watch others and do what they do, The leadership team is unavailable because they are in perpetual crisis mode and tie up all management resources with endless conference calls and meetings on how to fix serious customer issues surrounding bugs in the software . Clearly they bit off more than they could chew. The mood in the office is indifferent - very little interaction - staff just arrive in at 8 am, put on their headset and start entering data. They are so busy panicking about one crisis or another that there is a constant sense of tension and urgency to everything they do. I understand they have high turnover and apparently they have developed their business practices on the assumption that most new hires won't stay. As a prospective job seeker, to experience the satisfaction that comes with landing a new job and then be so completely let down once the reality of the place sinks in is a journey I would wish on my worst enemy. The operation can best be described as indifferent and mediocre. HR issues are teeming just below the surface and it is easy to see why so many others have left with a bad taste in their mouth only to resume searching for another job.

Advice to Management

Hire or promote an executive team that is not constantly putting out fires - let the chain of command work as intended. Also, create a training function complete with manuals and dedicated training resources to support new staff so that they are not placed in the position of interrupting someone they don't even know to ask a question when they are stuck or need a hand. Clock-watching is no way to inspire a team - treat staff like the adults they are and you will be surprised how much more content people feel when they are trusted to responsibly manage their time.

Sep 14, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

I'm not sure entirely how to respond other than to present facts that seem to contradict this review at nearly every turn.

A couple things the review got correct
    1) We have free parking
    2) Our... More

"Software Developer"

I worked at Agate Software full-time

Pros

You get to learn a lot since the company is small and you can make good progress pretty quickly.

Cons

The company works with a manufacturing mindset. You need to be at work at 8am and can only leave at 5pm. You need explicit permission if you have to run out for a little bit in the middle of the day. I was treated pretty badly given my educational background.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and they will respect you back. Don't demand the respect and impose restrictions like they're high-schoolers.

Apr 28, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

It is true that one can learn a lot and progress quickly with Agate, we appreciate that being pointed out.

To address the "manufacturing mindset" and being at work "8am and can only leave at... More

"The Company You Keep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time

Pros

Happiness at Agate really depends on who you interact with the most and the clients you work for. I have never had a problem working with anyone at Agate. I enjoy my job. Management has always been fair towards me. My workload is pretty balanced, and when I feel overloaded I can reach out to others for assistance. I rarely need to work overtime, but whenever there is a deadline that requires me to put in extra hours, the people involved always show appreciation.
    Agate is a good company to start out getting experience at. Unfortunately people tend to treat Agate as only that.
    There are events such as free lunches in the summer, random "Happy Hours", Christmas Party, Golf Outing, and office cook off. (I admit promoting some of the events seems like "Mandatory Fun" but every event is actually enjoyable)

Cons

The last couple overly positive reviews seemed like they were planted by management, to be honest.
    The turn-over has always seemed kind of high. There have been a lot of Project Leads that left and management had to scramble to get all Projects Covered. Also with the turnover, there is a lot of time used to try to train up new employees. Training feels lacking in the company. On the bright side those who learn and catch on quickly make good team mates, but other new employees are left struggling and can make them feel like a burden to coworkers.
    The pay does seem a bit lower than the average wage for similar positions. You have to make an effort to get a significant raise (which is fair, but can be lack of motivation for some people). It can be hard to get recognition for your work.
    There is a bit of a quality issue, but we try. A fair amount of mistakes are made, but at least people are quick to fix them before many people are affected. Some of the developers aren't the greatest, but there a few good ones.
    Like any company there are some toxic coworkers and clients. As mentioned in the Pros sections, it really matters who you have to work with. Some managers and clients are harder to work with than others. I haven't had this problem but I know other's have.

Advice to Management

A complaint I've heard from some previous employees is that there is obviously a problem, but no one is doing anything to fix it.

6. "Agate Rocks"

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Okemos, MI

Pros

Great work atmosphere, full gym in basement including showers, free lunch and shorts Fridays all summer long, the Christmas party is epic!, almost never work night/weekends. The golf outing every year is beond sweet, the taste of agate event is today and I can't even tell you how excited I am to get to work, lets not forget the pool table fooze ball shuffle board darts and projection T.V. with suround sound just to name a few. I see a lot of reviews on here bashing Agate by old employees who didn't want to put the time or effort in to helping Agate grow and then were mad because Agate wouldn't pay them the moon and stars for doing nothing. So yes Agate runs 8-5 M-F but with a generous amount of paid days off and Agates generous understanding of things happen that are out of your control I've never had an issue, not to mention profit sharing and 401k match and the list just goes on and on.

Cons

People wanting unfair wages while doing poor work! Then leaving reviewes about it on glass door

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you have shown that Agate is Relentlessly improving and truly a career and not just another job to add to a resume

Sep 21, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

I'm happy to hear that the little things we do are appreciated. At the end of the day work is work, we'd all love to do nothing and get paid for doing nothing, but I don't know anywhere that's the... More

7. "You can do better...."

Former Employee - Configuration Specialist in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do provide free lunch sometimes and there is really no dress code so feel free to wear whatever.

Cons

Too many to list. The few good employees are tremendously overworked. Due to constant turnover they dump whatever work onto the better employees until they get fed up and quit. Seen it happen time and time again. Hardly anyone lasts over a year or so. Low pay and lousy benefits.

Advice to Management

Value the employees more and maybe they would stick around longer than a year.

8. "Awful!"

Former Employee - Configuration Specialist
    Former Employee - Configuration Specialist

I worked at Agate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None of their paychecks bounced...yet.

Cons

Very poorly run company. Inexperienced management team runs it like a manufacturing shop down to expecting all employees to go to lunch at exactly 12noon. Like the widgets will start falling off the assembly line if people don't stick to precise times. Incredibly high turnover, well over 80% every year, leads to constant client complaints and rework that is billed to whichever client has room in the budget. Stay away, stay far, far away!

Advice to Management

Hire some a consultant that knows the software industry and totally rethink how you run things.

Sep 8, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

As a management team, we're not perfect and we don't claim to be. It's upsetting that this former team member had such a bad experience.

What I can say is Agate has been in business since... More

"Not Bad"

I worked at Agate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management staff is friendly. Most of the people who work there are helpful and friendly. Great pay for what you are doing. Many perks like free lunch, golf outings, Christmas party, and a bar.

Cons

The girl who is the trainer there was kind of condescending. It feels a little bit like being chained to your desk for 8 hours. No schedule flexibility, you work 8-5 and if you have an appointment, you have to make up the time. Even salaried employees have to us PTO for sick days. The heath insurance is not that great. $1500/3500 deductible options with high copays and coinsurances. Overall I did like working there, though!

Sep 8, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

The feedback on the trainer is helpful, always looking for ways to improve and to deal with someone who is condescending while trying to teach you should not happen.

As for the schedule, our work... More

10. "Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee perks are nice for helping you overlook the deeper issues that exist.

Cons

Quality is not valued over quantity and no accommodations made. While attempting to learn the culture and how to operate little support is given by fellow employees to assist. Team is not just sitting together and working on entirely different aspects of the business.

Advice to Management

Build a team that can make your products and services better for the client. Invest the time into growing quality and good employees that are willing to stay instead of having their eye on the door.