AlertEnterprise Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place where you can quickly learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer/Fullstack Engineer/Machine Learning Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Technology Driven
    AlertEnterprise is a technology driven company, we use the most advanced technology in our product. Front end we are using AngularJS 2 and we are on the way to migrate to Angular 4.0. Gulp/Webpack/NPM/Node technologies are also there. Backend we are using so many different technologies for different projects, i.e. Microservice architecture + docker + cloud + JavaEE + python + scala + machine learning. Especially from last year, we started heavily using microservice/docker/cloud which makes our technology stack more flexible and agile. As a technology driven engineer, you will love these tech stacks.

2. Open Engineering Culture
    The engineering culture is quite open here in AlertEnterpise. Everyone can propose using new technology as long as you can do a great demo and convince the technology committee. I bring the docker(docker machine/swarm/stack) to AlertEnterpise. I did a great demo and they love it. I'm proposing deep learning technology now.

You can also propose any thoughts on system architecture, like how the components are connected, how the data flow goes, how to split micro service and how to design the database schema. It's quite open, as long as your proposal makes sense.

3. Tons of opportunity
    AlertEnterprise is a fast growing company. Therefore, there are tons of opportunities here. The whole engineering team is very selective and each project team is very small, composed of elite engineers of 5-7 people. You typically undertake very important roles in the team. We welcome full stack engineers because, in the team, we prefer an engineer can work on the front end modules as well as backend modules.

4. Nice management team
    The management team is very nice. They are nice and easygoing. The supervisors are great leaders. They lead the team very well and themselves are a high-level technology expert. They can always guide you when you got stuck in the technology.

5. Ambitious CEO
    CEO is a super smart guy and very ambitious in IO/OT field. Meanwhile, he's very easygoing. You can usually see him in the office. He works really harder, I often see him in the office on Saturday.

6. Nice comps & benefits
    The comps & benefits are nice. They are generous about salaries and they value the talents. We have the performance review each year. You will have a salary gain if you did a great job. There are always food/snacks and drinks in the kitchen.

Summary:
    Generally speaking, AlertEnterprise is a fast growing and technology driven company. AlertEnterprise has a small but very selective engineering team in U.S. Engineering culture is quite open, you can meet a lot of good colleagues here. It's a great place where you can enjoy working and learn and grow. Tons of opportunities here. You can be successful if you work hard. To be honest, you work here for a year equals to working 3 years in some other companies. That's how fast you can grow.

Cons

Fast work pace & Personal capability challenge
    The work pace is fast here. Because we are a fast growing startup, our team is quite dynamic. We usually finish a project in 3-6 months. You need to keep it up. If you are about to use a new technology that you never used before, then you need study after the work, because we expect you to use it and work on it ASAP. Challenges are there, but it's also a huge gain for us in our capabilities.

Advice to Management

1. Hire more and more talents. Because we have so many high profile customers, so many projects, we need to expand our engineering team.
    2. Start launching deep learning project. Deep learning is a changing force which is gonna overturn each field/industry. Our business will be changed by Deep Learning sooner or later. We need to catch up with it and stay on top of it to lead the entire business. Though we have a lot of customer needs and projects to do at the present time, meanwhile we still need to look at the future and prepare for it.

"CFO"

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, fun environment, family like environment, let you do your work your own way, open door policy with management

Cons

People are passionate about what they do and expect others to be passionate

"A very negative experience"

I worked at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros unfortunately.

Cons

The level of nepotism and arrogance is astounding and unlike anything I have ever experienced. Hire people who have no reason being in the roles they are because they are family and alienate anyone who thinks critically. The lack of any formal processes and the constant bait and switch from management has led to a level of employee turnover never seen in my entire career. AlertEnterprise is really a consulting company that tries to act like a software company. Meaning they say yes to every client demand even when there is no way to deliver. The engineers spend more time coding demo systems than they do coding real software. Also, there isn't an inherent demand for 'convergence' so while it sounds great most clients do not have a requirement for it. The products are also very immature. If you want to buy a product that essentially has never been out of beta and then pay a professional services guy (for multiple years) to get it to work then this would be a good product for you. Meanwhile, other more well respected competitors are flourishing while Alert doesn't even get invited to the dance. Their reputation is shady and the founders run this company like a hobby. Lack of respect and culture makes AlertEnterprise, by far, the worst career move anyone could make. My recommendation would be to negotiate VERY hard and don't drink the Kool Aid.

Advice to Management

Realize that past success is no guarantee of future success and that your people are your largest asset. Public humiliation is not what leaders do, it's what bosses who lack confidence and people skills do. Being a visionary does not mean you know how to run a company.

"Disappointing company"

I worked at AlertEnterprise full-time

Pros

There really aren't any positive comments I can make.

Cons

The list is long but here are some highlights.

Arrogance. Company leadership is arrogant but that arrogance is based on outstanding performance that happened over a decade ago. (they had a very successful acquisition of a prior company) There have been a near total lack of meaningful accomplishment at AlertEnterprise.

Turmoil. There has been a rapidly rotating cast of external management talent that has come, clashed with the founders and moved on.

Disappointment. AlertEnterprise has a long list of disappointed customers. Over promise and under deliver has been a way too common pattern.

Nepotism. Nepotism has been rampant at AlertEnterprise. People are put in place not based on merit but based on relationships. This company is not run in the model of a typical Silicon Valley company that hires and promotes based on merit. Think of it as a small, family run business that is without meaningful external oversight.

Yes. This is a "yes man" culture run by charismatic but overly strong willed founders that don't listen to input from smart people. Feedback that is perceived as negative can be very career limiting.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what is working, what is not working and why. The answer might be in the mirror.

5. "Offers high-quality opportunities to get a quality experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary package is decent. The CEO is a very ambitious guy who has ingenuity and vision for the future. HR is helpful if needed.

Cons

Work-life balance is poor and sometimes you'll have to work 16-20 hours a day. The product is put together is a slapdash manner and has tons of bugs which are not addressed. Cafeteria has only a coffee machine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in making profits but please think about providing a better work-life balance for employees.

6. "Great vision, execution needs improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at AlertEnterprise full-time

Pros

Visionary CEO, Great team, Security is a hot market, Good alliances in place

Cons

Product quality needs improvement, Engineers think they run the company & are very arrogant, Lack of focus,
    Bullying needs to go away

7. "Outstanding people and product and marketing"

Current Employee - Channel Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Channel Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AlertEnterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are high character

Cons

Disorganized sales process that slows closure

Advice to Management

Develop a clean sales process that is more straight forward

8. "Just Say No"

Current Employee - Developer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job provides income to pay bills and support family. Also gain good technical experience, plus skills in lying to customers and misrepresenting product capabilities.

Cons

100+ hour work weeks wear you down after while, no balance of work and personal life. After 6 yrs, product is still barely more than beta quality.

Advice to Management

Stop letting greed influence every decision. Stop pretending that Fremont CA is India. Consider giving the values of honesty and integrity a chance!

9. "Software Company on a mission, getting ready to explode!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear vision by the company, software which significantly increases safety, reduces the risks of terrorism, internal IT attacks and damage. Really intelligent and dedicated employees who believe in the product, do amazingly creative solutions for a wide variety of customer needs. Management is still a little bit in start up mode, but very caring about the staff. Recent partnership with SAP is opening doors in every country, expansion in the Sales team is significant.

Cons

Work/life balance is still not even, the company is still scaling to the larger commitments, but the opportunities for individual growth is huge. The work loads are probably what you get anywhere in Silicone Valley with a high growth software company.

Advice to Management

More transparency and clarity around the objectives, revenue and future would be helpful.

10. "Lack of strong Executive Management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fremont, CA

I worked at AlertEnterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convergence of Physical and Logical security is a great concept and goal for certain industries, hard working developers and technical teams.

Cons

Most customers don't have a demand for what is being offered. Very high turnover within entire organization. Technical team is brought into ever sales cycle and constantly being asked to build demo systems of what they could develop, which interferes with the ability to actually develop.

Advice to Management

Bring in a strong CEO to run the business.