American Century Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Century Investments President and CEO Jonathan S. Thomas
Jonathan S. Thomas

Pros
  • work life balance, corporate mission, culturew (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits and good learning environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many opportunities for advancement in certain departments, also some teams had managers who were really into favoritism (in 6 reviews)

• Need to leave the company and come back for a promotion (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at American Century Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance, corporate mission, culturew

Cons

compensation, opportuities for advancement, stagnant outlook

Advice to Management

none

2. "Client Operations"

Former Employee - Client Operations in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Client Operations in Kansas City, MO

I worked at American Century Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-from-home opportunities; good benefits; team atmosphere

Cons

Management is out for themselves, not employee

3. "Overall"

Current Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Century Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with the company for 20 years; love everything about it! Benefits, salary, leadership, guiding principles!

Cons

I do not have any to share

Advice to Management

Great job!

5. "Generally Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The people at American Century are top-notch. It's nice to work for a company whose profits go toward cancer research, it feels like you are working for the greater good of mankind.

Cons

The company has gotten into a bad habit of implementing changes before they have been thoroughly tested because they want to meet a deadline. Sometimes extending a deadline can save a lot of headaches.

Advice to Management

Management should make it a point to occasionally visit floors other than the one they work on. There are many employees who would feel so much more appreciated if you would just walk by and say hello from time to time.

6. "Good Company Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Century Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company definitely takes care of its people. PTO starting is 19 days. benefits and 401k matching are excellent. Pay/salary is wonderful. Can't complain at all. The company helps pay/can cover all of any personal advancement in education, if decided to use.

Cons

Older working crowd with people who have been with the company for decades. Not really a con though, it just shows how great the company is.

Advice to Management

None - Doing a great job

"Things you should know if you work here"

Former Employee - Investment Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at American Century Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and work/life balance. The health insurance was good, not great. They have pretty good lifestyle reimbursements for a gym membership and things like that.

Cons

I felt the need to write this review because there are a few things about them that I think EVERYONE should know. Both potential, former and current employees.

1. If you work here, you can not apply to a job at Mariner Holdings. You possibly can if you get permission from your current manager, but that is obviously not an ideal situation.

2. They will not allow their managers to provide you a personal reference. A future employer can call HR and find out that you worked there, and which years. Luckily I printed and saved my year end review. I HIGHLY recommend doing this because it will come in handy. I asked previous managers I had not worked for in years at American Century to provide a reference for me and nobody would, and my performance at those jobs was excellent, and I had good relationships with the managers. They won't even do it now that I'm no longer an employee.

3. If you quit, they will walk you out of the door before your two weeks is up. They will act like there is something horribly wrong with you for quitting and make you feel terrible. I had just received my bonus and a great review, so when this happened to me I was confused. I thought we had a good relationship. I've found out from other employees and ex-employees that they do this to everyone. The morning after I completed my exit interview I was told "today is your last day, we will pay you til the end of the week." on a Wednesday when I still had one and a half weeks left. Meaning I went a week without pay that I was hoping to get, wasn't a big deal and I was happy to have a break between jobs, but it was a crappy thing for them to do. Now I realize, since they wouldn't even provide me a reference I might as well have quit the day of, and gotten full pay.

4. Full time jobs have a 45 hour week minimum. You must take an hour, unpaid break. If you work in the call center there is also another inevitable 30 minutes a day at least because you have to arrive early to clock in on time, and end up staying late on a call.

5. You will get paid less than market rate here. They say this "balances out" with the culture, but the culture isn't that great (I was disciplined for arriving less than 5 minutes late twice), the benefits are industry standard or less, and there is really no excuse for paying someone less than industry standard. Their "culture" is shoved in your throat so you don't leave for a better paying job, but since Mariner is the next best investment firm in the city, they have that taken care of.

Best of luck if you are going to work here.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Learn to adapt.

"Investment Representative"

Current Employee - Investment Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Investment Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Century Investments full-time

Pros

Benefits, Culture, people, PTO, health insurance

Cons

Call Center, micro managed, limited time to take PTO

9. "My experience at American Century Investments was great, great place to work."

Former Employee - Priority Investor Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Priority Investor Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at American Century Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of their people. Great benefits and good learning environment. They want everyone to better themselves and move their careers forward.

Cons

There were not many cons that come to mind. The biggest con or reason I am not working there any more is because the company relocated to Kansas City from Denver and I did not want to relocate.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Century Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are strong, supportive company culture, great pay for sales positions. Minimum 19 days PTO, 4% 401(k) match, profit sharing. They are currently upgrading many workspaces to a modern environment which is great.

Cons

None, the company is great

"Still a great company, but needs some work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Mostly great benefits, most of the people are really nice.

Cons

Culture has shifted, not as family-friendly anymore, more focused on the bottom line, people are not widely appreciated for skills/experience they bring to the table, education to further ones self is not as valued as it used to be.

Advice to Management

Focus on and appreciate the employees more - happy employees means a better workplace and relates to increased focus on making the client successful.