Anchor Sign Reviews | Glassdoor

Hank Cheves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time

Pros

They are a great company to work for. Family-like atmosphere, casual/ laid-back attire and culture. They give you the tools to do your job and they have great benefits.

Cons

Departmental communication could be improved.

2. "My Second Family"

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On a daily basis I am afforded the opportunity to utilize my professional talents in an atmosphere that challenges me intellectually. At the end of the day, I leave work feeling fulfilled knowing that I made a real impact and am appreciated by the company for doing so. The Anchor family has granted me and my family so many opportunities and they truly are my second family. The company is continuing to grow and those that have been around get really excited about where the company is headed. This is company where every voice is heard which is hard to find these days. Lastly, there are numerous positions of need that are not yet even created so the individual potential for those that want to earn additional responsibilities and grow with the company is limitless.

Cons

Sustainable growth is extremely challenging for any company. There are fleeting moments when the preparation for upcoming swells in an individual’s workload could be improved or better dispersed. Also, there is an average rate of turnover that could be improved. However, this may not necessarily be a ‘con’ for Anchor as a company; it is likely more of a ‘con’ when considering the individuals. This is not a company where you can expect to just show up and do minimal work and be rewarded. It is a meritocracy and those that strive to be the best and make the company better are those that rise to the top. This is not a ‘con’ necessarily, but I am mentioning in the ‘con’ section in case there are individuals looking for the easiest job available where minimal effort is required.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for excellence and do not let mediocrity live long. Inform employees of future company plans, it is motivating and exciting! Elevate the level of accountability and continue to evolve the team structure so that training can be a higher priority.

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had nothing but positive experiences at Anchor since starting. I did read some of the other reviews that were posted about this company prior to coming to work here. What I have realized is that the people posting negative reviews are probably not the type of people you would want working for your company in the first place. Those people are here to collect a paycheck, put in the least amount of effort required to remain employed and complain about anything and everything. To me, the negative review is a direct reflection of a poor employee and not of the company.

In my opinion, Anchor has one of the better benefit packages out there compared to other companies I have worked for. It is very reasonably priced with a low deductible and great coverage. They do offer a 401K, which isn't matched, but I don't really think that is that uncommon with most companies these days.
    The facilities on campus are nice and the entire environment is pretty laid back, provided you get your work completed.

If you are hard working, motivated and looking for a place to start and maintain a career, Anchor is that place to be. They are continuing to grow and I'm excited about the opportunities available at this company.
    Anchor is the type of place where you get out of it, what you put into it. If you work hard, put in effort and don't treat this place like a place to just collect a paycheck, you will be rewarded.

Cons

I don't really have any real "cons". It would be nice to see a match to the 401K at some point in the future.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The employees that are here and the employees that remain are here for a reason, they support you and approve of the job you are doing.

Apr 21, 2017 – Director of Communications

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you are part of the Anchor Sign team. As the largest manufacturing company in Charleston, we are always looking for opportunities to shine. Appreciate... More

"Excelent Opportunity"

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Anchor Sign for more than 14 years. Opportunity best sums up my experience. Anchor Sign is a rapidly growing company with numerous national accounts. Anchor’s rapid growth provides opportunity for employees. Anchor loves to promote from within, filling management positions with existing talent. Hard work is recognized and rewarded.

Every day brings new challenges and obstacles, work is never boring. Team work is a major part of the environment. My coworkers are quick to step up and help out. We don’t hear “it’s not my job”, instead “What can I do?”. We have a sense of pride and ownership in our work. We have fun together. Many of my coworkers are close friends.

The hard work is fulfilling. It’s rewarding to see our signs welcoming customers to Chick-fil-A, Home Depot, Bank of America, Outback Steakhouse and more.

Anchor offers great benefits including health insurance. Our Health Insurance is excellent! I have peace mind knowing my family is well covered.

When I was hired at Anchor, I was looking for a job. Instead of a job, I found a lasting career. I’m thankful for the many way I’ve been able to provide for my family. I look forward to many more years at Anchor!

Cons

None. It's great to work where hard work is appreciated.

"Production"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Place to work and your treat you like family. They taught me hard work pays off and if you stick with something it will pay off. I started working as an installer and now a manager inside the plant. They have made me the man I am today.

They have always seen something in me that I didn't see in myself and was able to push me towards something great. They give you the tools here to make a lot of decisions yourself and push you to always become better.

Cons

Just meeting people in the workplace that want something for nothing. It's just sad but Anchor has a great hiring process and weeds the negative people out fast

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and always shoot for the stars. There are a lot of employees here that love this place and are very thankful for the job

Apr 21, 2017 – Director of Communications

Thank you very much for your kind words. At Anchor Sign, our mission statement is clear: “To become the world’s premier sign company by providing complete customer satisfaction beyond all... More

6. "Current Employee"

I have been working at Anchor Sign full-time

Pros

Not micro-managed, overtime available for most hourly employees, recently updated the policy to be able to wear jeans and headphones.

Cons

Not very much paid time off or pay for your first 3 years.

7. "Sweatshop"

I worked at Anchor Sign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good company to start with if you are interested in the sign industry. The worker bees who aren't management are a mixed bag, but most are good team players.

Cons

No room for advancement; it's a good-old boys' club. Middle management is basically a handful of yes-men. Account reps and designers are very underpaid and treated more like sweatshop workers.

Advice to Management

Start compensating the real talent fairly and they'll stop leaving so abruptly. Hire and promote based on actual merit.

"Horrible Employer"

Former Employee - Project Designer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Project Designer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Anchor Sign (More than a year)

Pros

Getting a paycheck (which isn't much to begin with)

Cons

Not a great place to work. Immaturity at all levels. Over-worked and under-paid is an understatement. Too many people joking around and making noises makes for a very distracting work place. Especially when one of the people being a distraction is a team leader. I don't mind joking around every once in a while, but not all the time. No possibility for advancement, only a small annual raise which is determined by your annual evaluation. 3% is nothing when you're making peanuts to begin with. Minimum pay equals minimum effort. No recognition for a job well done ever. People only worry about themselves, even though it's a team environment. Because of the lack of pay and the office environment, the turnover rate is very, very high. Annual parade of people quitting. That should tell you that something is wrong and that you need to change something. They've lost so many good workers because of this, which results in inexperienced people coming in and screwing everything up. Management doesn't care and they aren't doing anything at all. They are oblivious to the fact that a great company has great employees that are happy. This place has no happy employees. Well, except for those who are actually getting paid, those who are content with mediocre, those who are there because they are good friends or family of somebody who is with the in crowd, or people who are just stupid. If you are looking for a job, look else where unless you are very, very desperate.

Advice to Management

Stop being stingy and start caring for your work force!

Nov 12, 2016 – Director of Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. I apologize that your experience at Anchor Sign did not meet our commitment to being the best place you have ever worked. Your feedback will... More

"National Accounts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

Solid upside potential if you are willing to work and not just collect a paycheck and be like the status quo in today's workforce. Anchor provides a place for employees to, not only have a job that pays the bills, but develop a career with a company that is growing.
    We get the opportunity to be a part of the site development of some of the world's largest companies like Home Depot, Bank of America, Chick fil A, Chipotle, CVS, Hertz and lots of others.
    There are over 30 people in the national accounts program at Anchor and they are a great group to work with. The office environment is not like any other I've been in. Everyone plays hard, works hard and we get our job done.
    One of the biggest pros of working at Anchor is the healthcare. Best plan I've been a part of and really good if you have kids.

Cons

Don't really have any. The job is what they described it as when I started. I guess I don't like that some people just come to get a paycheck and put forth less effort. It makes it harder on the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Don't stop growing the company. We all want to make more money. Maybe offer a health savings account or 401k match once we've been here for a certain time?

Nov 12, 2016 – Director of Communications

Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate your comments. It is feedback back like this that will help us as we continue to make sure that our employees are our top priority and our most valuable asset.

"Finished my 1st year and really like Anchor Sign!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Anchor Sign (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoying my career here at Anchor Sign. Just completed my first year here and have learned a ton. The company has solid management, great leadership and the people who work here are solid as well. The company has outstanding health benefits, pay and opportunity to grow. The company has great office space and top level equipment. I also really enjoy the company outings/events (Chick-fil-A day, Food Truck Friday, free doughnuts, annual family Oyster Roast and the new team member lunches). My success has come from getting into Anchor, learning the business and working hard. In my first year, I have been provided additional opportunities to succeed. . .just had to step out of my comfort zone. What I enjoy the most is that Anchor will give me all the opportunities to succeed, I just have to take ownership and make it happen. Thanks for everything Anchor Sign!

Cons

Still learning the ropes of the sign industry. I think Anchor would do better to focus a little more on the initial training provided. Even though I had never worked on the sign industry, I was able to grab the business quickly, but some of my colleagues have struggled. I know that the company is working on efforts to improve training.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to grow the company. I Have enjoyed getting to know the business through some of the most outstanding brands in corporate America (Chick-fil-A, Home Depot, Bank of America, TJ Maxx, CVS, Pizza Hut and Hertz).

Nov 12, 2016 – Director of Communications

Thank you for your positive feedback. We will continue to focus on making sure we are providing the best for all our employees. We have work to do - especially in the area of training. I have... More