Animoto Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Love Making Videos"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Animoto is an inclusive, warm and friendly place to work, with very talented and driven individuals. Everyone cares deeply about the product, design, technology stack and company direction. The team culture is fantastic, valued and invested in. You can share your ideas and thoughts openly and easily reach across departments to be heard. There is so much space to grow and people to learn from.

Going to work every day is genuinely fun and challenging.

Cons

Animoto is still running a startup mentality in a very competitive market. It's not a place to be a background contributor.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in strong cultural and values. Keep a laser focus on the goals.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

Culture, great people, life balance

Cons

Rapid change in company direction at times

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and clear with company direction. Keep the culture the way it is. Keep hiring great people

3. "Good work place but terrible mentors"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Animoto (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Interesting product & engineering where you can contribute to any part of the stack. Also, the stack is written in various languages but mostly in Ruby, Node & C++. So anyone who is feeling extra adventurous gets to work with multiple technologies, which I think is pretty cool.
    2) It's easy to voice your opinion. There are plenty of platforms where your voice can be heard about both product & engineering. The leadership constantly engages in many informal conversations on how to improve the product.
    3) Super cool co-founders. In my 10 years of experience, these clearly are the best co-founders I have worked for. Keep up the good work guys!

Cons

1) Terrible tech leads cum managers. The tech leads in most of the teams are quite terrible when it comes to their leadership and mentoring skills. It often seems like they are still stuck in their "developer" mentality and do not put enough time and effort into their managerial side of the job, which I think should be their focus. It would help the company if it invests in manager training programs. Good managers always evolve good teams, and sadly my manager was the reason why I moved on from here.
    2) During the last year I thought, the product's pace has slowed down. I personally would like to work with product people who are more aggressive.

Advice to Management

Invest in supervisory skills and management skills training programs please, most of the engineering managers really need it.

"A+ on Company Culture"

Pros

I've worked at a lot of companies and never before have I seen a management team place such a priority on the happiness and overall health of ALL of the employees. Everything starts with a healthy foundation where people are set up to enjoy their day to day experience: from there, execution and growth feels easy.

Cons

While bulk of company is in the NY HQ, many key employees are geographically distributed so regular video conferencing becomes a must!

"Quirky, balanced, fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthy work environment that doesn't take itself too seriously. There's never a dull moment and plenty of challenges. Your interests outside of work are celebrated here which leads to more balance than I've seen at other companies. Medical insurance is fully paid for.

Cons

Not a lot of career growth in the form of titles but I always feel like I'm/we're moving forward and tackling new things so I've definitely learned new skills and expanded my development in other ways.

"Love it here!"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

Awesome culture, health insurance covered at 100% (no employee co-insurance), smart, hard working people / teams.

Cons

We need more talent! Trying to get ahead of the opportunities is tough when you're short staffed.

"Animoto life and what to expect"

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at the company wants you to succeed and will provide you all the resources to do so. One of the first things I noticed when I first started is the culture. It truly is one of a kind and they make every effort to make sure you enjoy your time spent there. Fully stocked kitchens and probably one of the best benefits you will get from a company.

Cons

This is a startup so the future is not always certain but the path they are heading down now certainly seems to be working and thriving.

"Wholesome Company with Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company poised to take over the social and marketing video segment,
    Amazing people/Culture , most people are friendly and helpful.
    Very Transparent and Approachable Founders
    Free food and other perks. 401(K) matching expected.

Cons

- Growth has been stagnant but its picked up in recent months with the new product launch. Company is very optimistic about it.

Advice to Management

More market research and Keep an eye on competition(especially from Big players)
    Preserve the culture and Keep pushing hard.

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work life balance and culture are great. People really believe in the product and enjoy using it internally to make fun videos. Everyone here is so friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Twice a year we have a weeklong gathering to work on hacks and bond with the rest of the team.

Cons

The 401k plan is not that great but they are introducing matching next year.

"Show up for the job, stay for the people"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The office is like home away from home and its people are like family. I used to dread commuting to my job, but now, Animoto is what gets me out of bed.

It's an environment for learning, where we get excited about the unknown. We expect each other to focus on bettering ourselves just as much as we focus on our product.

Cons

We're a small team, so title advancement / promotion can be rare (even though I'd say it's commensurate with the size of the company). If you are more concerned with job title and rapid achievement than personal development, you might be happier elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Diversify, spend more time with (and hear from) ICs, and make sure we work as far ahead on benefits as we do on strategy.