Answer Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Answer Financial President and CEO Rob Slingerland
Rob Slingerland

Pros
  • If you keep your sales at a certain level, you can work from home (in 15 reviews)

• I am making more money than before, have the work/life balance that I always wanted and am always motivated to make money (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We still have no idea how comp plan works (in 14 reviews)

• turn over rate was fairly steady but expected with the size of employees in a call center (in 9 reviews)

1. "Hard to attain the position, but it is worth the work."

Current Employee - Unknown in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Unknown in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Updated equipment and hands free restrooms are a plus. Great information and great help available for you to succeed. It's difficult work, but for a dedicated individual it's smooth. Good luck to you if you are interested in insurance sales with consistent learning opportunities and room for self successes for one and their wallets.

Cons

Hiring process was horrible and the road to getting into the position was way rougher than any job I've ever seen, and lack of remorse is definitely is present in the workplace . Follow rules or follow the exit is the feeling at first. Once your licensed it's very different environment where one is accepted and wished the best with open arms.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "The best paying insurance sales job!"

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working for Answer Financial is the financial stability. You control your paycheck! We work with knowledgeable and driven managers who are relentless to teach us to do right by the customer, and the company. I love working for Answer Financial. After 15 years in the field, this has been my big break!

Cons

I have not experienced any cons, and I have been working for the company for 3 years. Employees complain at times because they feel entitled for one reason or another. I have zero complaints.

Advice to Management

Please don't change the rules. They're set in a way where it benefits the employee and the company which is ultimately how it should be to keep the company long lasting and successful.

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Encino, CA

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home program. Affinity groups (Primerica)

Cons

not the same as before. culture wise and compensation wise. Less Carriers, not too many options for consumers.

Advice to Management

Base salary should be higher. Coverhound is paying $22 for their agents. we are licensed professionals and i think a higher base salary is necessary. Also, we are advertising on our website more carriers are available than actual. In California alone, we don't have mercury, 21st century, metlife, everest, safeway, esurance and titan. These carriers are listed on our website and that's false advertising. As an agent, i'm hoping we could get more carriers on board to give more options to our consumers. i know it's hard but to be noticed as the largest agency in the US, we should have a lot of carriers for our clientele. The comp plan makes it hard for you to take a vacation because the if you don't sell, you don't make money. They should try to think of other ways to make it bearable for agents to take time off.

"Are you trying to have unhappy employees? Because this is how you do it."

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Simple work
    -Mostly inbound leads
    -Interact with a wide variety of customers

Cons

-Unclear objectives and expectations
    -Lack of communication across the company
    -Micromanagement of sales agents
    -Many leads are cold calls which are also cold transfers
    -Lack of insurance carriers significantly hurts sales opportunities (many states only have 1-2 carriers anymore)
    -No raises
    -After latest compensation adjustment, all sales agents are effectivley 100% commission for bonus and base
    -Treating licensed sales agents like children
    -Lack of support services means sales agents basically have to sell policies and act as primary customer service liaison, but we only get paid to actually sell the policy

Advice to Management

Treat your insurance agents as responsible, licensed sales professionals. If you have to, make two sets of expectations: 1 for rookies with extra safeguards and 1 for seasoned pros that is less micromanaged and more freeing.

Rather than adjusting the compensation plan to get rid of underperforming agents, maybe you should actually do annual reviews with all employees.

"FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the flexibility here. We receive paid time off twice a month and it builds over time and acquires more hours to schedule off and still be compensated. Very lenient if you cant come into work due to sickness or if you have to run an errand in the day as long as you can make up the time, its ok. You work as your own business per say, creating call backs and leads and marketing yourself as the agent. If you're a top rep at AFI, they will pay for you to have your own business cards to pass out and create more business.
    lots of events. Top agents (which is very achievable) receive bonuses per quarter based on their ranking, and are awarded with lunches, dinners, and entertainment on company money. sometimes will give away free money as an incentive to contests. gift cards are passed out occasionally. movie tickets are always a give away for good sales days. who doesn't like free movies. :) not a strict environment. AT ALL. you can take a walk around the building if you need a breather. You can work OT as much as you want. no need to search for a second job, just come to work and work longer at $15/hour and time and a half for OT. No micro-management, break when you want. Allstate offers Good Life Perks, like couples-therapy that is free every year. And benefits through Allstate even if you don't have the insurance, to put an extra $200 in your pocket just for doing the exercise which is normally an exercise to improve health.

Cons

you're in a cubicle all day. The calls can be poor at times. Money can be a struggle if you don't have a pipeline built up. The chargebacks can be bad, if you don't try to sell policies that stick for 5 months or more.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more excitement. Be more of a one-of-a-kind company and do things that aren't normally exercised in a business.. like making your birthday a paid day off or holiday if you will. Something else that could makes us different, and THE BEST.

7. "Growing Company with a fun & challenging work environment."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- This company wants what's best for you, and gives opportunity for those who work for it.
    - Paid time off
    - Fun work environment
    - Multiple carriers to sell
    - Rewards for hard work
    - Friendly managers & staff
    - paid licensing and training
    - 401k & full medical, dental, & vision benefits
    - Flexible work schedules
    - Opportunity to work from home!
    - Frequent offers to work over time

Cons

- Paying to park
    - Tough auto market
    - Policy retention has to be a minimum of 120 days on the books in order for you to get paid

8. "Success at AFI"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is not "difficult" to be successful at AFI, it really just boils down to doing what it expected of you. If you are on time, minimize your break times, and stay on the clock until expected, success is inevitable. The other part to that is having a genuine heart. Occasionally the customers we work with can be extremely unnerving, to say the least, but it is imperative to keep in mind that they do NEED us, and we need to do everything we can to help them, even if it means being slightly inconvenienced. Returning rudeness for rudeness is not the answer, and although this practice is kept by some, it is not the most effective and efficient way to handle the situation. Being empathetic is key. Although most of the time these individuals are in this situation at their own hands, they are still people and they still have feelings and a heart. If they know that you have feelings and a heart, they will be 100% more likely to do business with you and your company rather than go elsewhere. I do my best to put their mind at ease, and let them know that I am there for them. My job is to help be a problem solver, not a problem maker, or even making a problem worse, so I will go to every length possible to help them if I can.

Cons

As with any job, anywhere, there are rules and regulations in place. In this particular environment, occasionally they can seem a little tedious, especially when you are doing your best. I understand that it appears as if some bad apples of the past have ruined it for everyone, but if someone is LEGITIMATELY doing their best to be successful, that also needs to be taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Make the hiring process a little less severe. I have dear people that I know would make PHENOMENAL employees, but lack of 2 years of sales experience stops them cold in their tracks. If referrals come from top employees, that part of the resume needs to be reconsidered.

9. "Great Company To work for"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Encino, CA

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Answer Financial might be the best company I have worked for.. The environment is great here and everyone is helpful. The platform we work on is very modern, as well as the actual work floor (kitchen, bathrooms, etc).

I saw a few reviews of people complaining about not knowing how the comp plan works, and sorry to be blunt or rude, but you are NOT qualified to work here if you don't understand it. Plain and simple! For people looking at AFI for their future employment, the comp plan is this... Answer Financial will pay you X amount of dollars if you sell Y policy. Some policies are worth more depending on the quality of the policy, and what company you sell it through. You also get compensated for "Combos". For example: Auto + Home = COMBO! Combos is how you make good money here. Now you have to "Pay for your chair" meaning you pay the company a certain dollar amount PER DAY, and anything you make after that goes into your pocket. Typically, if you sell 1 Combo a day, you will "pay your chair", and anything you sell after that would be your bonus. People have days where they sell 1 - 2 policies, even 0 per day. But then have a day where they sell 10 Policies in 1 day. If you sell 10 a days your bonus can go up anywhere from 500 - 1000 in just one day. SO when people say they don't get it, and you got what I just explained to you, you understand who really should even be qualified to write a review about a company..

People also complain about management. Management is awesome here... If you work, show up, and do your best you'll have no issues. Do they push you to do better? Of course... But what job has management that doesn't ALWAYS want more from their employees? None.. Get real people. In fact in this job, the more someone pushes you the better it is for your pockets ($$$$).

YES, the top 10 people in the company are typically the same, and a lot of people don't take home a bonus. BUT, if you look at the people who don't take home a bonus, its the people who just show up, punch in, give people quotes, and put NO effort. I promise you, that if you put in the effort and do what it takes to expand your business, you will take home a good bonus EVERY month. ANd sometimes that bonus is $1500 and sometimes its over $3000. Sometimes you may not have that good of a month, and its $600. But the people who consistently don't take home a bonus, are people who don't try, and don't look at ways to improve themselves to be better salesman. There is too much opportunity at AFI to expand your business and make a lot of money for these people to come on Glassdoor and write reviews. People come on here because the company doesn't give you 100% PERFECT Leads. Trust me, if any company gave leads that closed at 60% conversion and offer our comp plan, people would still complain.. Show up, work hard, have a good attitude, and make it happen and you'll succeed here. If you want things handed to you(perfect leads), go look other places for a job.

Cons

I don't really have any cons, but if I was to give my best advice to new employees it would be that in the beginning of your employment here, get ready to GRIND. You need to build you business in order to succeed here and make sure you get home certified as quickly as possible and do nothing to jeopardize it. Give it time, and you will see your bonus reflect your hard work (I have).

* Some people complain about parking, but lets get real people.. Any job on Ventura BLVD you will pay for parking.. If its really that big of a deal, just sell 2-3 Extra Policies per month and you'll pay for the parking. If that isn't enough, you also have a write off when tax season comes along. Give me a break... haha

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a good job so far. Ive been treated very fair here and no matter who I got up to I always have someone who is happy to help me.

Answer Financial Response

Apr 25, 2017 – Team

Thank you very much for your high level of integrity and for sharing your perspective. We appreciate your inspiring words for others regarding the value of their capabilities and self-motivation in ... More

10. "10 Year+ Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Answer Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to work in a company that supplies training, licensing and continued Career Development. Compensation is good for Top performing Agents. Good atmosphere: The Management Team are supportive. Colleagues are great to work with.

Cons

Insurance Sales is a very competitive environment. To be successful you have to keep your skills honed and be ready to work hard for sales rather than be dismissive of the ever changing environment. If you are not determined and self-driven to be the best, this job can be very challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your Agents. There are years of culminated knowledge. Leverage that experience.

"The grass is not Greener on the other side. Stick it through."

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Encino, CA

I worked at Answer Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management
    -Coworkers
    -Number of leads
    -Work from home
    -Benefits day one
    -Backed by a large company
    I left Answer because of the compensation plan at the slow time of year. I was promised at another agency high commission percentage plus quality leads with uncapped compensation. They were selling a dream and i bought it. I got no benefits. I was micromanaged all the time even while hitting my numbers. It is easy to blame Answer for the tough times but in all actuality it is the industry. Att any agency you will still get the "tough states". Currently I get maybe ten leads a day at the agency i am at with half of those being NY KY GA SC LA MI. You will have small unproven agencies promising you what you want to hear. Don't buy into it when you have benefits,leads,good management . Stay Positive and make your money .

Cons

-Have to pay for parking.
    -Food in area is expensive
    -The quality scoring is a bit arbitrary , Changes from call to call month to month.
    -Cut those lead sources that take info but don't pass it on to agents.

Advice to Management

Make sure you let agents know its the industry not the leads. We all sell in the same states.