Apache Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 2, 2018

3.7
John J. Christmann, IV

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good people to work with and for" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great pay and benefits, charity contributions" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Huge workload, no work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "All of the department managers allow 1 single girl to run the department based on her opinions, with only 6 years experience in oil and gas mind you" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Lead Operator"

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Safety orientated, hands on help from supervisors

Cons

Aggressive, someti.es micro management

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Talented people, good location, great package

Cons

Need to elevate base salaries, other offers can easily snatch people

3. "Great"

Current Employee - Pumper in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pumper in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great companies to be employed by and wish we didn’t get bought out

Cons

None that I can think of. Great companies and amazing perks

"Communicate, Train your Managers how to manage people and ideas"

Former Employee - IT/Data/Applications in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT/Data/Applications in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are good. Lots of work to be had

Cons

Apache used to have a saying: "The best idea wins" which is a great idea, and maybe at one time that is how Apache used to work. But that really isn't the case anymore. There is a considerable amount of cronyism in certain parts of the company where mid-level mgrs have known one another for years and they have formed this impenetrable knot of well-intentioned but misguided managers working beyond their expertise. Any important policy/approach or decision was decided amongst old buddies in their office...rather than with the full team or key players present and heard.
    I know for a fact that I was paid very well relative to the same role at other companies. I've been doing what I do for quite a while, and I know this sounds egotistical but I am good at what I do. But it was a constant struggle to be able to get your ideas injected into that impenetrable knot of mid level managers for consideration... It was a very frustrating job to not be able to do the job you were hired to do.
    We've all heard this
    "Don't hire good people and then tell them what to do, let them tell you what to do"
    There is a kernel of wisdom in there. Obviously you can't let the animals run the zoo, but when you are working outside of your own area expertise or experience....vetting more ideas and approaches is a good idea..have a meeting.. talk,

Advice to Management

Just because someone is a fantastic at their present role, does NOT mean they are natural leaders or managers of people. Maybe they have potential, but if you are going to promote people into Management I think you need to give them some foundation in managing people, managing ideas and managing work. Don't just throw them in and expect them to "just know".

5. "Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great company. Good reputation.

Cons

Don’t care enough about employees. Care more about business.

"Watch your back"

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to going to work at Apache, I was told that in the industry, Apache had a reputation for hiring very smart people and working them very hard. I found that to be true.

The company offers very good salaries, benefits, and perks, but you definitely have to work to earn it.

I had the opportunity to learn a lot; I was in a team of some very smart and good folks. I was also given the chance to attend quite a few training classes, and for that I am grateful to the first few managers I had during those times. They were also very supportive during some times of personal hardship.

Cons

The company has changed from a place that used to be exciting to work at, to somewhere that only cares about the bottom line. Employees are a number and nothing else. When you leave, regardless of the circumstances, you are referred to as "not Apache material".

A lot of sexist and racist commentary and activity goes on; anyone who speaks out is either frowned upon or isolated. Some people are even blacklisted. Complaints are not taken seriously. I went to HR once and was told that I needed to "lighten up".

Educational assistance is difficult to use. I tried twice and was turned down both times (it was approved by my manager by declined by senior management). Other folks seemed to have no problem though, so I guess it's who you know.

Although I learned a lot, respected my first two managers, and made some good friends there, I don't miss the company culture, I feel that it is toxic.

7. "Great company with upward momentum."

Current Employee - Pumper III
    Current Employee - Pumper III

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Actually run the route like you own it. I

Cons

Not enough incentive for innovation.

Advice to Management

To create innovation you must incentivize. Aim up is good but it could be great.

"Once Happy Long-Timer, Glad to Have Moved On"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, competitive salaries, intelligent hard working employees - this is a lean machine, so if you aren't keeping pace and working with a sense of urgency, and a fire in your belly, eventually you will be gone

Cons

Didn't realize just how bad it was until I hired on at a new company. More work than staff, unhealthy work life balance. It doesn't matter how long you work there - no one cares, it will not make any difference now or if you leave. Information is not only withheld, but management will flat out lie to employees about the company, it's future, etc. It is still an old school boy's club, and there is a hierarchy amongst staff - at noon the executive floor is like an episode of Mad Men with skirted women rushing to prepare lunch for the men - yuck! I miss the benefits - they are just unmatched. That said, I don't miss the workload, or feeling like a second class citizen to anyone with a total above mine, or the unsettling feeling that you could be let go at any minute - no matter how long and how hard you worked.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and honest. Try to remember that the people making that machine run so well are just that - people. They have families that require work balance and honesty about the future of the company. Also, no one is better than anyone else, no matter what your title - lose the caste system, it makes you look bad.

9. "analyst"

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great people and great teams

Cons

none that come to mind

"Bait and switch"

Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half day fridays. Benefits were good.

Cons

Not transparent on interview at all. No idea I would be taking on as much as I did, and that they were spinning off some of their business, leaving my future very unclear.

Advice to Management

Care more about the people you hire. Had I gone to the CEO, he would extremely disapprove of what I know.