Apache Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
John J. Christmann, IV

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Location, work life balance can be better (in 8 reviews)

• Oil and Gas market is scary, makes it stressful (in 5 reviews)

1. "Excellent company"

I worked at Apache full-time

Pros

I have learned a lot from working there. Everyone is extremely friendly and it's a wonderful way for a person to enhance their skills.

Cons

The only con I can give would probably be the long work hours. Monday-Thurs you work from 7:30-5:30; but on Fridays you only work 4 hours so it isn't really a con because the hard work is worth it to get off early.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. "Engineer"

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great benefits working environment etc

Cons

Located in the galleria area

3. "Been my best job yet!"

Current Employee - Gas Measurement Technician in Mertzon, TX
    Current Employee - Gas Measurement Technician in Mertzon, TX

I have been working at Apache (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with! Great support staff within the measurement department! There is a lot of diversity between all the technicians that brings wide range of knowledge of gas measurement.

Cons

We went three years without annual raises due to the downturn of oil prices even though we came under budget and had higher production than what was expected.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Landman in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Landman in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people with great benefits

Cons

its a political game, once you get in with upper management, you are set

5. "Mostly good"

Current Employee - Electrician II in Mertzon, TX
    Current Employee - Electrician II in Mertzon, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good and knowledgeable people in the field. For the most part a good team environment. Overall not a bad place to work.

Cons

Too much inexperience in engineering. Micromanaging from people who have no clue what you do. Not enough support from upper management.

"Good company but stay away from corporate land"

Pros

Apache corporate has good benefits, they contribute annually to an additional 401k for a pension style retirement 6% of your annual income. The annual time off is pretty decent, but it seems that if you have your manager in your pocket you can pretty much take however much time you want and never report it to HR with no consequences.
    Their severance packages are very nice, the best thing Apache did for me was to lay me off and pay me to go get a better job.

Cons

I worked for 2 departments with Apache, one I was in a training role which meant I interacted with many other departments. Each department has their own culture, as I am sure is normal. However stay away from corporate land. It is where employees at Apache go to die in their souls. All of the department managers allow 1 single girl to run the department based on her opinions, with only 6 years experience in oil and gas mind you. And if she doesn't like you, start saving your money because she will start a file on you to justify getting rid of you even if there is no justification.
    Apache is very behind in the times as far as making it a fun place to work. They used to be good about this until around 2013 and it all went downhill.
    Oil and gas is cyclical and you are subject to the whims of the stock market price. The company as a whole is doing better staying on a steady path since they switched the CEO. However, G&A is the first thing to get cut when they're trying to cut costs. Employees are just a number on a page, nothing your going to do or say is going to matter. So if you are ok with putting your head down and doing whatever your manager says, you will survive and thrive at Apache. Promotions and raises are not given on merit but more of favorites and brown nosers, especially to supervisors with low self esteem that crave those kinds of things.
    The Galleria sucks for traffic, and add an extra 30 minutes for traffic in Christmas time.

Advice to Management

Stop with the corporate games and favorites, it gets old. Actually take a look at what your employees are doing rather than taking the word of some stuck up person who has their own agenda.
    I think Apache needs a truly anonymous way of subordinates to review their managers. HR needs to review these, not the other managers that are just protecting their protégés.
    Start making more incentives for employees to collaborate and have their ideas heard. Apache tried a few years back but then the program fell stagnant.

7. "Fast-paced, team oriented"

I worked at Apache full-time

Pros

Minimal management style, willing to make changes to management and group structure when needed, encourage multidisciplinary teams and seek quality employees, fast-paced

Cons

Work on weekends and evenings is expected depending on the group, overly competitive culture, short sighted corporate goals, not enough guidance or training for new employees

Advice to Management

Changes feel unstable but are overall beneficial. Newly formed groups need additional guidance from the start.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great (new) management, colleagues, and benefits.

Cons

Some departments burn the midnight oil, but that's the nature of the biz.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Apache"

I worked at Apache full-time

Pros

A great company culture overall

Cons

Industry is up and down every four years or so

Advice to Management

Give your employees more opportunities to grow

10. "Great benefits"

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great location and work environment as long as you adapt to the Apache Core Values

Cons

some members of management can't be trusted to do the best for their employees; depending on which department you work in there is not alot of room for growth