Apigee Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Apigee CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, Great Work/Life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Smart people, market leader, work with fantastic customers who have an urgent need for Apigee's solutions (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You must be very self motivated and self-directed (in 6 reviews)

• Behind the marketing veneer, you will find few good engineers who are stretched trying to keep all the infrastructure in place (in 3 reviews)

1. "GL accountant"

Pros

everything is good everything is great.

Cons

Nothing to mentioned everything is perfect.

"Thoughtful, Passionate People"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people are incredibly passionate about their work, bright, and supportive of each other. It is truly a hub of learning how companies across the world are becoming platforms and implementing API business models.

Cons

It's tough to come up with cons as I had a wonderful experience at Apigee. Be ready to move fast and be accountable for your own growth and learning.

Advice to Management

I know the best ADRs do this on their own, but encourage them to take on small projects in CS and Marketing more often -- it'll keep ADRs fresh and motivated and provide potential routes for internal hiring into those teams.

Jul 22, 2016

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It is always sad to see a review from a "former employee" but gratifying to know that you had a fulfilling experience. And, I can't agree enough that we... More

"Awesome company with lots of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time

Pros

- Really interesting technical problems to solve on all fronts (customer-facing, internal tools, infra, open-source) and opporutnity to work with brand new/up and coming technology
    - Dedication to open source contribution and presence in communities
    - They take care of their employees, great benefits, pay, perks and appreciation from coaches
    - Coach > Manager, your coach is the person responsible for evaluating bonuses and doing all the managerial things, but they also take their job as a mentor seriously. I've had great coach relationships and they've been the highlight of my time here.
    - Lots of opportunity to step up and take ownership of projects
    - Obvious that everyone believes in and is passionate about the company and is unified behind a central vision.
    - Flat hierarchy means you can talk to anyone, and it is in fact welcome/encouraged

Cons

- can feel slightly chaotic at times due to flat hierarchy, when attempting to determine who the PoC is for something
    - hint of poor work/life balance, sometimes messages will come in on weekends or late hours of a weekday, sometimes asked to make really tough deadlines (however upon hitting them, reward is not far behind)

Advice to Management

- Keep the Organization team breakdown up to date, they are really helpful

Aug 5, 2016

Thank you for your thorough review. I've learned from reading your thoughts. Perhaps one of the most gratifying things I've read here is when you said "I've had great coach relationships and they've... More

"Fantastic Internship Experience"

Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

Pros

- As an intern you get to work on projects which are interesting, challenging, and will actually be used
    - Interesting people, great work environment
    - There are biweekly lunch and learns where the CEO, the CTO, senior engineers, and other interesting people talk about their experiences and answer questions
    - Fun events for interns
    - The other interns are great to work with
    - Lunch is catered and is always different

Cons

I have not really had any downsides working here as an intern. Truly a great place.

Advice to Management

The interview process was a bit painful as they never called me for my second phone interview. We got it resolved, and we rescheduled for the next week but it would have been nice to get notified that it wasn't going to happen. However, I'm glad I stuck with it.

Aug 2, 2016

I'm glad that you stuck with it too and am thrilled that you are having a great experience. Thank you for writing such a thorough and thoughtful review. And, thank you for dedicating your summer to... More

"Great impressions"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of exceptional people at Apigee. There are also people who aren't quite there yet, but most of them are young and by being here, they'll definitely be exceptional in their field in the future.

If you're an Engineer, you'll be tasked with challenging problems. The problems, in my experience, have been fun and exciting. I remember during my interview, my interviewer said something that really stuck with me and enticed me into joining and that was "We're trying to solve the problems of the future". For context during the interview, "problems" referred to technical problems, but in many ways Apigee as a whole is trying to solve other problems in the world.

If there's anything that you need in order to do your job better, you can definitely send a casual message to either the front desk (people ops) or IT. There's also a vending machine with common accessories.

Parking is a breeze if you manage to get access to the building's parking lot. Otherwise, it's a small walk from the other parking lot down the street.

Keto/Low-carbers will not have many issues with the catered lunch selections. There's usually always options. I, however, sometimes cheat when Sushi day comes along.

Mostly everyone's calendar is public so you can spy

Table tennis table and billiards in the gym

Cons

You might gain weight here if you aren't strongly willed when 11:30am comes around, but even the healthy options are tasty

Advice to Management

Definitely the best company I've worked for so far and I'm hoping to stay, so +1. Continue to be transparent and continue to retain/acquire talents.

Jul 29, 2016

Wow, what a wonderful way to start a day! I woke up to this review and feel like my day is off to a great start

Thank you for being so thorough and so thoughtful. We are operating on the belief... More

"Great company which customer focus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Apigee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture (people, mentor)
    Fast reaction to customer demands (very active customer interactions, POC design)
    A bunch of great people with a wide range of knowledge (technology, strategy, sales)
    Concrete actions and delivery (it is all about what to contribute)

Cons

Being customer focus is not enough since there is a need to be ahead of what the customer need/want,
    There are some cliques (technical/nontechnical, new hire/old hire, previous company) that in term could create some problems,
    Sometimes acting too much at strategic consultant with high vision but no path to execution.

Advice to Management

Maximize usage of people knowledge on specific domains (in particular related to technology innovation and technology trends)

Aug 4, 2016

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I agree that we've built a pretty special culture and that we place priority on "fast reaction to customer demands"

It's an interesting thought about being... More

"Solid company: Better employees"

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Apigee (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, backed by a better team. Open door policies and genuine top of the class team. Forward movement and a general happy work environment.

Cons

More openness about big company and product changes, but overall a good job by management. Could me more accommodating of remote employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and empower the next level of managers.

May 20, 2016

I think that perhaps the best testimony about a company comes from someone who is now a "former" employee. While I'm always sorry to see people leave, I understand that change is inevitable and that... More

"On track"

Current Employee - Apigeek in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Apigeek in Portland, OR

I have been working at Apigee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, market leader, work with fantastic customers who have an urgent need for Apigee's solutions.

Compensation is fair and the perks are very good.

Managerless culture lets you make your mark without worrying about the political angle.

Cons

You must be a self starter, have the understanding of what it takes to get the job done or you will be quickly lost.

Advice to Management

Keep the standards up on hiring. People will not tolerate B players when they are confident that they are A players.

Apr 12, 2016

Thank you for your review.

I'm so pleased that you are finding your experience of Apigee to be positive. Your thoughts around our customers having an urgent need for our solutions gives me... More

"Fun, Challenging Environment, Pushes you to your limits"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA

Pros

Lots. Quality of people you get to work with. Passion. Energy in the office. Great food and other perks.

Cons

Lack of org hierarchy can sometimes make you wonder who does what. You need to be self driven to figure out things. You would get a ton of help, only if you ask for it. Otherwise you might just feel lost.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work. Make the markets understand what we do.

Apr 12, 2016

Thank you for your thoughtful review.

Your advice that we "Make the markets understand what we do" is totally understandable. I'm not sure that this worthy goal is as attainable as creating value... More

"Apigeek"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment for someone to learn and grow. Trusted, Empowered to make decisions. Great people and technology. Freedom in doing what you need to do to get the job done - no bureaucracy or politics. Good environment of cross-functional teamwork. Casual, flexible, open work environment.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with pushing the envelope constantly - and be comfortable working in an environment where your value is derived from the work and impact you have on a daily basis. You can not rest on the laurels of your past, your seniority / "years of experience" or job position/ title. This isn't really a con - but this isn't needed in every other place where people can be successful for other reasons. So something to seriously consider, while considering joining Apigee.

Advice to Management

Hire folks not just because they are good at their job/role, but also make sure they are the right ones for Apigee.

Apr 12, 2016

Thank you for writing such a compelling and thoughtful review. I treat this review as so valuable in light of the fact that it is written by someone with 5+ years at Apigee. I've read and re-read... More