ApotheCom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 31, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Dunn

1. "Positive and Energetic Work Environment"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people make the job. I love working with each individual at Apothecom. This is a team-based company and you never feel alone. Someone is always there to help you whether it be on a status call when a client stumps you with a question or staying late to help with a submission deadline. Its not every man for himself at Apothecom.

- There is always something new to learn and an opportunity to grow both personally and career-wise.

- While 9-5 isn't always realistic, we get other benefits like the option to work from home or take comp days here and there.

- Free catered lunch on Tuesdays & Thursdays!

- The culture and energy when I come to work every day makes my job truly enjoyable.

Cons

The employees definitely are overworked and there is no such thing as leaving work for the office. It's the nature of the beast, but sometimes deadlines are unrealistic and things can be stressful. This often causes quick burnout and turnover in the Med Com industry.

Advice to Management

Show your hardworking employees appreciation. The company is doing so well, why not give bonuses when deserved?

2. "Great work environment."

Current Employee - Associate Medical Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and work atmosphere are wonderful. The science is exciting. If there's something you're interested in doing and you ask they'll help you get the experience.

Cons

They pay a little less than competing agencies.

Advice to Management

You're doing so well as a company, why not pay employees a little more, or start giving cost of living raises each year?

"Evolution of Apothecom"

Former Employee - Vice President, Scientific Services in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Scientific Services in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic. Everyone is approachable, and scientific leadership is comparable to none. It is definitely not a culture of blaming others. It has a work hard/play hard mentality. Clinical acumen is crucial in this business, Apothecom has a wealth of that. Before I left, they had won a tremendous amount of new business. Not sure why "they don't get RFPs" was posted, that is just not true. Which leads to a lot of work, but they stress family and quality of life (which is why they are hiring like crazy). In agency life, there is always turnover, and Apothecom is nothing new. There has been a rejuvenation of the entire company with the appointment of the new Global CEO. Where there was once disparate companies in the US and EU, the transition has really made it a truly unified and global powerhouse. Opportunity is there for those who are willing. You can feel the energy once you walk into the offices.

Cons

There has been a significant amount of turnover in the past year (I am one of them). Communication to the company regarding that turnover was cryptic at times. It is a business like all other business, and sometimes turnover is forced, and other times people just leave. But communication as to why it happens must be clear to all. Don't get me wrong, while viewed as a negative, the people that have come in have been strong and competent agency folk. Apothecom has always been a roll up your sleeve type of company, and that mentality is still there. Overall, some individuals are just not amenable to change, and try to blame others...accountability is key. For senior management down to new graduates.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly. Pay no attention to the negative comments here...most just seem very bitter. No, it is not the Apothecom of old, not better or worse, it is just different. Better on the Global front, but staff heritage needs to be rebuilt.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance. An hour for lunch.

Cons

Everyone is so overworked they can not find the time to train. Because of that lack of training when I made mistakes I received snide comments. Many complaints from employees of how much they hated working there and were looking to get out. I agree with other reviewers about not trusting anything upper management tells you. I was told when I was interviewed how they wanted someone who would stay with the company. Was also told after I had been there awhile how happy they were to have me and what a great job I was doing. If that was true then why did I get laid off? Oh, yeah, budget cuts. Then why did you hire me in the first place?

"Overworked and underpaid, all they cared about was keeping their inappropriate and unprofessional clients happy."

Current Employee - Senior Medical Writer in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Writer in Yardley, PA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only pros were with other non-management people I worked with.

Cons

Ridiculous work load, no training, no work-life balance, company values had no substance to them, constantly changing priorities at the whim of the clients, managers where inappropriate and unprofessional, no credit or incentives for getting the job done and on time, management disorganized and more concerned with themselves than with their direct reports. Worst place I've ever worked. Laid off without warning.

Advice to Management

No point.

ApotheCom Response

Sep 25, 2014 – Representative

As we strive to employ only the best and brightest at ApotheCom, sometimes it takes a bit of time before we can truly determine if an individual fits within our culture of success. When an ... More

"A good place to get your feet wet in medical communications"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Easy commute
    -Good location
    -In-house digital studio and excellent digital staff
    -Knowledgeable scientific staff who share expertise on therapeutic areas and pharma industry
    -Experienced senior management who have years in the industry

Cons

NB: Things may have changed drastically since I left

-Public company ties and reporting
        -As of end of 2012:
            -Salary increase freezes
            -Hiring freezes
            -Freezes on use of freelance for workload overflow
            -No/low bonus structure tied to other business units that may not be performing well

-Last-minute evening/weekend hours/travel (standard for pharma, but the last-minute nature of it wears down morale)

ApotheCom Response

May 13, 2014 – Representative

Thanks for your review. Just as an update, the freeze mentioned here from 2012 was put in place at a time of unfortunate circumstance (unexpected account closure due to client product failure ... More

8. "ApotheCom is a group of smart individuals- you work hard and play hard!"

Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working under Beth McMahon-Wise for about six years and learned that ApotheCom is the industry leader in medical communications, period. The company has been around for a long time and is built on structure and procedure to best serve its clients.

The team is assembled of the very best and brightest medical communications professionals and are probably the hardest working people I have met. Employees have historically been rewarded with generous benefits and fair salaries.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard. The industry as a whole is very demanding and in order to stay ahead, you have to provide the best customer service, no matter which function you serve in the company. Long hours and personal dedication are part of the job.

9. "Great people, great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Colleagues and senior leadership are intelligent, thoughtful, and hard-working... also creative, interesting and fun to work with
    -Lots of opportunities to learn new things and develop new skills
    -Felt respected and valued
    -Excellent career development/potential for promotion

Cons

-Modest bonus structure
    -Significant travel expectations could be a negative, depending on specific position and personal situation

10. "Strong strategic and scientific company"

Former Employee - Medical Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart, fun people. Good collaboration across the offices. Senior management listens and responds to problems. Strong scientific and digital groups and they are all in-house which is unique.

Cons

Office in SF is small but growing. Location in the city is really easy to get to on public transportation.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and diversify the business so you can absorb drug failures that always happen.

11. "Best place I've ever worked, to be honest"

Current Employee - Developer in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Developer in Yardley, PA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An amazing group of people to work with, managers who make me feel valued and listened to, the freedom to take risks and explore new opportunities, a very energetic and creative working atmosphere

Cons

I can really only speak for my department within the company, but I genuinely have no complaints. In over 15 years of working in this industry, I've never been so happy with an employer.