ApotheCom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
David Dunn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not bad, but room for improvement"

Current Employee - "scientific Services"
    Current Employee - "scientific Services"

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice. Very flexible in allowing employees to work from home.

Cons

Certain departments are rewarded, while others languish in the background with little recognition for their hard work. Salaries are not as high as at other companies, and raises are very small when they do come.

Advice to Management

The company is doing well enough that you can afford to give raises every 12 months, which is the norm, rather than 18 months. Salaries should be in line with industry and locations. Make reviews for employees mandatory. Be realistic if employees are in a position where there is no room for growth--don't promise that they can expand their duties if structure is not in place for them to do so.

2. "scientific services"

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great colleagues and leadership, work with top companies on exciting projects. Really a great place to learn the business.

Cons

heavy work load - frequently you will work evenings, weekends, with out overtime reimbursement. You'll be told that you can take comp time - but there is just not time

Advice to Management

I think that management is doing a great job; although they would be served by considering retention with an eye on individual employee's needs (eg, if they are a rising star, actually advance them faster; if they are doing your job better than you, they probably need a promotion and/or raise.

3. "Positive and Energetic Work Environment"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people make the job. I love working with each individual at Apothecom. This is a team-based company and you never feel alone. Someone is always there to help you whether it be on a status call when a client stumps you with a question or staying late to help with a submission deadline. Its not every man for himself at Apothecom.

- There is always something new to learn and an opportunity to grow both personally and career-wise.

- While 9-5 isn't always realistic, we get other benefits like the option to work from home or take comp days here and there.

- Free catered lunch on Tuesdays & Thursdays!

- The culture and energy when I come to work every day makes my job truly enjoyable.

Cons

The employees definitely are overworked and there is no such thing as leaving work for the office. It's the nature of the beast, but sometimes deadlines are unrealistic and things can be stressful. This often causes quick burnout and turnover in the Med Com industry.

Advice to Management

Show your hardworking employees appreciation. The company is doing so well, why not give bonuses when deserved?

4. "Great work environment."

Current Employee - Associate Medical Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and work atmosphere are wonderful. The science is exciting. If there's something you're interested in doing and you ask they'll help you get the experience.

Cons

They pay a little less than competing agencies.

Advice to Management

You're doing so well as a company, why not pay employees a little more, or start giving cost of living raises each year?

"Evolution of Apothecom"

Former Employee - Vice President, Scientific Services in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Scientific Services in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic. Everyone is approachable, and scientific leadership is comparable to none. It is definitely not a culture of blaming others. It has a work hard/play hard mentality. Clinical acumen is crucial in this business, Apothecom has a wealth of that. Before I left, they had won a tremendous amount of new business. Not sure why "they don't get RFPs" was posted, that is just not true. Which leads to a lot of work, but they stress family and quality of life (which is why they are hiring like crazy). In agency life, there is always turnover, and Apothecom is nothing new. There has been a rejuvenation of the entire company with the appointment of the new Global CEO. Where there was once disparate companies in the US and EU, the transition has really made it a truly unified and global powerhouse. Opportunity is there for those who are willing. You can feel the energy once you walk into the offices.

Cons

There has been a significant amount of turnover in the past year (I am one of them). Communication to the company regarding that turnover was cryptic at times. It is a business like all other business, and sometimes turnover is forced, and other times people just leave. But communication as to why it happens must be clear to all. Don't get me wrong, while viewed as a negative, the people that have come in have been strong and competent agency folk. Apothecom has always been a roll up your sleeve type of company, and that mentality is still there. Overall, some individuals are just not amenable to change, and try to blame others...accountability is key. For senior management down to new graduates.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly. Pay no attention to the negative comments here...most just seem very bitter. No, it is not the Apothecom of old, not better or worse, it is just different. Better on the Global front, but staff heritage needs to be rebuilt.

"Changing and not in a good way"

I worked at ApotheCom full-time

Pros

Some smart, hard working and caring people are still there.

Cons

The current CEO is a nightmare. She's a micro manager, doesn't care about employees--they're just disposable assets. Started seeing backstabbing behavior; not what it was.

Advice to Management

Revert to the culture you used to have

"Completely dysfunctional."

I worked at ApotheCom full-time

Pros

Some nice, capable people are still at ApotheCom (and related agencies under the roof).

Cons

Markets themselves as a “powerhouse” when in reality they exist with a limited number of full-time employees who are completely overworked and underappreciated. Recommendations for bettering a client relationship/project fall on deaf ears. There is a strong emphasis on motivating employees but the approaches are not only corny, some of them seem like total HR issues. Definite favoritism with the embarrassing senior management staff, who also talk poorly of many employees behind their backs and then try to woo them with fake praise. Salary promises were made that were not kept, it was also denied that such promises were made in the first place. Many senior managers are not even aware of the work that is needed, so they cannot provide any guidance or contribute, yet they attempt to micromanage every detail because their only job is to then give the details to their own boss. Something has to change, many of the new hires don’t even stick around a year.

"Not the same ApotheCom of the past"

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still a core group of people who are really intelligent, hard working, and good at what they do. Many people there are great team members and terrific to work with. Great quality and dedication to clients.

Cons

So much has changed. Lots of turnover in senior management. People are no longer valued as the most important asset of the business. Many are taken for granted and viewed as replaceable. There are some people at high level management that are incapable of doing their job. Culture has definitely changed for the worse.

Advice to Management

Your people are your most important asset. Take care of the good ones, get rid of those not performing.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance. An hour for lunch.

Cons

Everyone is so overworked they can not find the time to train. Because of that lack of training when I made mistakes I received snide comments. Many complaints from employees of how much they hated working there and were looking to get out. I agree with other reviewers about not trusting anything upper management tells you. I was told when I was interviewed how they wanted someone who would stay with the company. Was also told after I had been there awhile how happy they were to have me and what a great job I was doing. If that was true then why did I get laid off? Oh, yeah, budget cuts. Then why did you hire me in the first place?

"In most ways, a pretty typical corporate employment experience."

I worked at ApotheCom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There were a few helpful, dedicated coworkers.

The company strives to be best-in-class in the areas it serves, a laudable goal.

ApotheCom gets high marks for its willingness to allow employees to work flexible schedules. It also usually gives employees a week off between Christmas and New Years, a perk everyone very much appreciated.

Salary and benefits were quite good.

Cons

The company undervalued the people who performed my role (there were a few of us, but not enough to manage the workload).The senior-most people in my group were completely beaten and downtrodden.

Organization within and between groups seemed random and haphazard--some employees had bosses they had never seen or met who were based across the country. When I was there, ApotheCom was lousy with vice presidents, and there was a general perception that many of them had simply been promoted as a reward for service time and not accomplishment or ability. Word is that the company has trimmed or lost many employees since I was there, so perhaps they have addressed this problem.

HR staff was a mixed bag: a couple of very strong employees who were responsive and helpful... and one or two who seemed to be mailng it in much of the time.

Advice to Management

Hearken back to your roots, ApotheCom--once upon a time you were a small, hungry, fun company. Just because your success has enabled you to grow to the point you've reached now, you don't need to turn all coldly, blindly corporate in your internal operations. Stay hungry, my friends.