Arbitration Forums Reviews | Glassdoor

Arbitration Forums Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arbitration Forums President & CEO Kathy Manhe
Kathy Manhe

"Great Place to Work - Very friendly and community oriented"

Current Employee - Software Quality Automation Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Software Quality Automation Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Arbitration Forums full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in IT and have been with the company for over seven years. I have worked in many places over the years, but this is the best experience I have had so far, including a company I owned myself!
    Benefits are great, along with the friendly family atmosphere.
    Over the years I have known a lot of very smart IT professionals, but this group is really a cut above the rest. Really a first class group from top to bottom. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a new home, and indeed, we have many employees who have come from other companies around the area and I know they appreciate what we have here at Arbitration Forums. I know of others who have left for seemingly greener pastures and have then come back to us, or expressed an interest in coming back.

Cons

Arbitration Forums is a fairly small company, so if you are looking for a lot of advancement opportunities, you may not find them here. I think the overall great culture more than makes up for this. Not to mention the great stability of this company as the Arbitration wing of the Auto Insurance industry, in business for over 75 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work supporting the community and encouraging all our employees to participate in giving back.
    Continue to emphasize the importance of serving our members and being open and honest with each other.

"Excellent place to work at."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Arbitration Forums full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The past few postings do not give a true picture of Arbitration Forums, Inc. workplace.

I have been an employee at AF for over ten years. The turnover of employees is very low, contractors maybe higher, but isn’t this why contractors are hired? For project or specialized work?

AF does not ask its IT employees to “clock in and out.” AF offices are in a multi-tenant office building, and for security purposes, employees are asked to utilize a security badging system when entering and exiting the offices. While AF does ask employees to work a full 8-hour day, I respect this expectation. Isn’t that what I get paid for? Forty hours of productive work each week.

I enjoy the excellent casual work environment, compensation, benefits, time off, flexible work week and personal development opportunities. I believe that AF’s work/life balance is the best of all companies that I have ever worked at. I have not experienced any difficulty with taking time off for emergencies, appointments or illness. I have worked from home on numerous occasions.

One of the best things about AF is its commitment to volunteerism. The company encourages employees to volunteer during work hours and be paid for the time volunteering.

Cons

Sure there are some employee’s personalities I do not agree with, but give me a break; these types of people are in every company. Overall AF is a solid company with good positive people to work around.

Advice to Management

Do not be too concerned about the negative posts on this website. Continue to provide an excellent workplace environment, the majority of employees appreciate what you offer and will continue to value their employment here.

Aug 16, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for providing clarification of the Senior QA Analyst comments below. As you noted, one of the best things about AF is its commitment to volunteerism. Not many employers offer the ... More

3. "Turn around too high"

Former Contractor - Information Technology AF in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - Information Technology AF in Tampa, FL

I worked at Arbitration Forums as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing to say here other than what people previously mentioned. I had to formal interview while I joined here.

Cons

I created the account because I wanted to add in my comments after reading the earlier ones. The turn around time is too high here. They let go people for no reason. After working here for almost 1 year they had to let me go. Why? I am. Not sure either.

Some of the managers have big heads. Seriously don't mess with them or else you will be let go too.

Clock in clock out environment. Your hours are monitored. Your Web activity is monitored. Your every move is monitored.

You never get enough work to do. What do you do when there is no work? Temple run coz you can't browse or go home a bit early.

Job descriptions are not clear. My title was one but what I was hired and asked to do was something else.

I was team of one let go without any warning.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Give them a chance to improve before let go. Don't be like helicopter mom and monitor everything. Badge in and badge out was so 2000. Let them work from home. Can't drive from Sarasota or Orlando to work every day.
    Let go the manager with ego issues.

"Everything that Glitters is not gold"

Former Employee - FAM in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - FAM in Tampa, FL

I worked at Arbitration Forums full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home home, Compensation was fair, Great benefits

Cons

The work requirements were constantly changing.There was no flexibility with upper management to alter work goals to meet the demographics of the assigned territory

Advice to Management

Whlie change is good, constant change does not allow for programs to work

Mar 25, 2016 – HR Director

Unfortunately some of what the former employee says is true. Because AF is a member driven company, priorities sometime change very quickly. Arbitration Forums, prides itself on being a company ... More

"Industry Leader, Great Technology, Clear Corp Vision, Family-like environment."

Current Employee - IT in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - IT in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Arbitration Forums full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Business has grown consistently in company's 75 year history.
    Amazing work-life balance and community involvement.
    Leading edge technology and professionally "coached" Agile transformation.
    Opportunity to know everyone in the company by name.
    Our Member companies consistently rate our services in the upper 90's for satisfaction.
    High average tenure with highly engaged people.
    Small company, what you do matters. Easy to see your contributions.

Cons

Small and flat organization; not a lot of arbitrary levels to be promoted through - sometimes this is a Pro too.
    Good benefits for a small company, but not great as compared to some larger companies with better buying power.
    Small company, what you don't do matters. If you can't produce, the team knows it quickly.

Advice to Management

Don't let the desire to grow and provide more services to your Members ever change the amazing culture.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

"Substandard middle management with no direction"

Current Contractor - IT Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Contractor - IT Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Arbitration Forums as a contractor

Pros

Decent salaries for Florida. Good colleagues but nothing can compensate for one of the worst IT management teams ever seen.

Cons

I respectfully disagree with the previous reviewers rating. If you can't work for development or QA, who can you work for in IT. Untrained managers are driving away resources with full complicity of a hesitant and toothless upper management.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to obvious red flags. If your best people in IT leave, all projects will fall by the wayside.

7. "Arbitration Forums - Not worth the time."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Tampa, FL

Pros

The benefits are the only reason I remained with this company. They are very disorganized and the management is simply clueless in how to run a business. I felt as though we were an experimental company being run by a college business class. I've been a part of Junior Achievement groups that had better management.

Cons

See above - horrendous work experience.

Advice to Management

To truly obtain quality, you must truly FOCUS on quality, no just through the word around because you like the way it tickles your tongue.

Jun 3, 2013 – HR Director

I am sorry the Member Service Representative felt the way they did when they wrote this review. Arbitration Forums, Inc. (AF) has been in business for over 70 years servicing the insurance ... More

"Arbitration Forums, Inc. - an excellent workplace to call home."

Current Employee - N/A in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - N/A in Tampa, FL

Pros

Arbitration Forums is an excellent place to work for many reasons. First, its a relatively small employer, which allows important decisions to be made at almost all levels. Second, because we're small, we get to wear many hats. I never feel like I've been stuck doing the same thing over and over. We've been a services company until recently. Now, we're becoming a software company, because we write all of the software that is used to drive our core business on the internet. While we've been a relatively small company for a while, we are moving into an era where we're becoming larger, to meet the process needs of our software development. It is a challenging yet exciting time at Arbitration Forums.

Cons

In comparison to other jobs I've held, there are relatively few downsides to Arbitration Forums. There are some current challenges that come along with our move into a more process driven company. We've made project management a priority in the recent past, and while that is overall a good thing, it does cause some speed bumps while implementing it for the first time. It used to be that our projects were loosely defined, and could change on a whim and were never locked into a set delivery date. Now, we're much more date driven, and sometimes that feels as if we're attempting to meet a date that has no meaning other that to internal folks. However, in the long run, "Process" will make it easier to deliver excellent product to our customers in a timely (at least predictable) fashion.

Advice to Management

Be certain to show your vision to the troops on a regular basis. While our new CEO does a relatively good job of this, it's not always apparent from the rest of the Senior Team, and they're often the ones that the employees have more contact with. Communicating the goals and plans succinctly will make it easier for lower level folks to understand the specific direction of the company, and motivate themselves to give their best effort every day.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

"A small family and community oriented organization"

I have been working at Arbitration Forums full-time

Pros

I am not one to get offended by online comments of any kind, but I do take issue when misinformed individuals within our workplace decide to post misleading information about a good organization like AF. The truth is that AF is a great place to work, not a perfect one (I dare you to find one that is…). The company has made great strides to improve their customer (members) satisfaction scores, goes the extra mile to contribute to the community, and continuously looks for ways to provide the best available healthcare choices to their employees. Some of the so called “issues” listed here by poorly informed individuals are nothing more than small distractions and part of the growing pains that tend to occur in all organizations that strive to get better and faster at what they do. I have been employed at AF for a few years and my experience with the company has been overwhelmingly positive. AF has a solid leadership coming from the top. Russ is an up-front leader who will give it to you straight, regardless if you like or not. He is exactly what this not-for-profit organization needed to pick up the pace and start performing in a much more efficient and consistent manner. The numbers speak for themselves, as it is hard to disprove what the man has accomplished since joining the organization in 2008. Simply remarkable !

Cons

The only somewhat negative aspect of working here is that some (definitely not all) of the middle tier managers in IT appear to have very little training on managing people. This deficiency shows in the moral of some of the brightest developers and QA techs in the department. I expect the new CIO to fix this lack of talent at such a critical level of supervision, although there are very little signs of change at this moment.

Advice to Management

UPPER MANAGEMENT: Pay close attention to the morale of those who are in the trenches and replace well-intended but otherwise clueless middle tier managers who are struggling to inspire and therefore retain the best talented workers.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

10. "HR who knows nothing about IT dictates whole company and calls shots"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

There is none if you are talented or has vast experience in IT industry. This place is run by some highly non-professional IT folks who lacks knowledge, skills and vision. it's not their faults as they are with AF since long time and have no idea about management /leadership skills. highly immature managers who are not qualified to lead the team and recruiting unskilled worker and at the same time demotivating good employee.

Cons

HR department pokes their nose into every matter which is not related to their department and has no business but HR director has no other work then making policies which screws employee. They are having good business due to luck as there is no competitor and that is the reason even with ready made applications and inferior quality still members not running away or can't run away. top management behaves like dictator and they never listen new idea or innovative solutions and sticks to old fashioned mediocre work culture. you have to badge in and out and not to watch this or that website and you can't work from home often but you can definitely sit 8 hrs idle to warm your chair in office.

Advice to Management

Hire skilled worker and stop body shopping. HR should stay out of IT dept and should have no role in any IT decision at all.