Arkadium Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jessica Rovello

1. "Definitely a great place to work.. and more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Arkadium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, the special events, team building
    Work life balance (really, its amazing)
    Trust in employees
    Transparency of how the business is run and how we're doing financially
    Yes, amazing snacks and coffee, and oh the tea selection
    Knowing i'm making a difference
    Location - love that we're in flatiron
    I always know where I stand with performance with weekly 1x1s with my manager
    I feel recognized whether it's feedback from my manager, or publicly in department or all company wide meetings
    Health benefits. My plan is just about 100% covered!
    Time off - very generous and i get work from home days
    I feel very valued by all levels of managers/management

Cons

I can't really think of any cons or downsides, other than team collaboration and communication is something we're always trying to improve. We have a second office in Krasnodar, Russia, and sometimes things can get lost in translation, but its something management and all employees are aware of and trying to actively solve for.

2. "Great Work Life Balance"

I have been working at Arkadium full-time

Pros

Small NY office with large areas of growth as a company and for its employees. Great company culture with activities regularly being scheduled from in office game nights and happy hours to an annual summer trip to the beach and fall trip to Six Flags. This company is the epitome of work hard, play hard.

Cons

If you're looking to focus strictly on games, this is not the company for you. While Arkadium does still design amazing games, they are traveling down a road that will focus more on engaging content in general. To some who are very game focused, this could be a con.

Advice to Management

Acknowledging your employees hard work goes a long way and it's great to see and experience that first hand.

"A singular place, full of positive energy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Arkadium is a special, unique company. I've seen more than a few, and these guys are unlike any other. The company's been around for well over a decade and the culture has evolved in a very specific direction: super-positive people, high achievers who are also authentically nice.

The office is clean, modern and beautiful. Subtle perks are everywhere: exceptionally good coffee (seriously - it makes a difference), fun companywide activities in and out of the office, arcade-style video game machine, periodic free meals, massages, etc.

For me Arkadium was a place where, irrespective of title, there was always the opportunity to grab more responsibility if you could handle it. They're too established to be considered a startup at this point, but the freedom of "if you see something broken, raise your hand and/or fix it" (which is a kind of startup-y ethos) is still very much present.

Cons

The above-described warmth and camaraderie are nourishing and awesome if you're into that sort of thing, and I 100% was (which is why I had a great experience at Arkadium). Reading through some of these other reviews it seems like for some people that vibe is..decidedly not for them.

So to prospective applicants I'd say this: pay attention during the interview process to the personalities you encounter, the tone of the place, the way people express their ideas. If it feels refreshing and exciting, you're in luck, because that culture is real, and pervades Arkadium. If it feels like it's not for you, maybe it's not for you.

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourselves and your vision, always. But don't feel beholden to any single plan—always give yourselves the freedom to experiment and course-adjust as needed.

"Great work/life balance, plenty of opportunity for growth"

I have been working at Arkadium full-time

Pros

Very strong focus on work/life balance, especially for this industry. I've never felt any pressure to stay late or work a weekend or holiday. Getting out early for Summer Fridays is a nice perk that I look forward to every year. PTO policies are fair too.

Arkadium favors promotion from within, and several success stories exist of interns or other employees who have worked their way up. There are frequent opportunities to carve your own role and take ownership over projects.

The contents of semiyearly reviews are never a surprise due to frequent and effective communication about performance during weekly one-on-one meetings with managers.

Cons

Several rounds of layoffs occurred over the past few years as the company shifted from working on larger, riskier game projects to safer bets. This generated a lot of the negativity seen in past reviews, and was obviously not good for morale at the time either. As a current employee, I feel that the company has recovered from this over the past year, and I'm confident Arkadium is on the right track to avoid these issues in the future. If I wasn't 100% sure of that, I wouldn't still be working here.

Keep in mind that Arkadium is firmly focused on the casual games market. This is not really a con, but if you apply here expecting to be making an FPS or a physics-based platformer, you will be disappointed, so do your research.

"The effect of bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Work/life balance for certain roles.

Cons

"Good managers opt to leave before they can become great managers, and good employees quit because they know they can never thrive in such a negative climate. That leaves the kind of employees whose emotional needs are met by autocratic, non-empowering bosses. And those are not always the world's brightest, happiest or healthiest employees. And so goes the business" - perfectly sums up the situation at Arkadium

Advice to Management

Just because a person hasn't joined the mass exodus and left does not mean they're the best fit for the job. Good employees quit because bad employees - ineffective, inappropriate, disruptive, immature - are kept. No matter how many "fun" events you do, it will never compensate for a toxic environment, and the toxic environment will never dissipate if you hold onto employees just because they've been there a while. If they're bad at their job, you should let them go, and bring in experienced employees (especially managers).

"Good company but a little lost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium (Less than a year)

Pros

People are smart, free food sometimes, original people I worked with were nice

Cons

Management is disorganized, most people are snobs and don't really care about you

"This was a great place to work, then it went downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone who works here shares a common interest - a love of video games. It's nice to be in an environment where all the people have a passion for what they do.

Cons

Poor upper management decisions which have lead to a complete changing of the guard. There was a paradigm shift in the company culture and they have never recovered.

Advice to Management

Stick to your core values. Bring things back to their roots. Make the company great again. Hire the caliber of people you once had.

8. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can really make an impression if you are self-driven. There is a great opportunity to really grow and learn.

Cons

It was an unpaid internship.

Advice to Management

Really push your interns a little more, you never know what they have to offer.

"A company that truly cares that is on the verge of huge success"

Former Employee - Game Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company really cares about its employees and is constantly looking for ways to increase their happiness

Management is always looking at new processes to increase productivity

Talented Artists and Designers

Company is able to fuel cross platform projects and embrace failure as they are financially secure

Management understand that you have to fail and take risks in order to win

Have their own talented R and D team who are able to churn out lots of prototypes

Smart fun people

Lots of transparency

Owners Kenny and Jess are smart and really care about Arkadium and everyone who works there.

Cons

Talented and experienced management and very passionate junior employees but there needs to be more mid level talent and experienced developers

Advice to Management

Keep going as you are going, but hire more developers for New york office!

10. "Fun and Good Job!"

Former Employee - Game Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to get experience in casual and mobile gaming.
    I was very impressed with how the company was build from the ground up. A lot of the client games were fun to develop. Some of the in-house projects gave us a bit more creative freedom as well.

Cons

Art Direction and Project management could be improved. There were some games that had very unrealistic deadlines and was managed poorly.