BASF Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
BASF Chairman and CEO Wayne T. Smith
Wayne T. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance culture is great, there is flexibility when you need" (in 145 reviews)

• "Great benefits and vacation time amount" (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • "glichkeiten und Work-Life-Balance k" (in 44 reviews)

• "Management is not very agile in decision making" (in 47 reviews)

"Very solid company overall"

Current Employee - Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive culture that promotes learning and development. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Parent company in Germany adds layers of bureaucracy that make the organization less nimble and able to adapt. Workload at times can be unmanageable.

Advice to Management

There are too many initiatives rolling out for an already overworked employee base. Please place more emphasis on the specific activities that impact the bottom line. This is a talented group of employees. You simply need to step out of the way so we can focus on real work.

2. "Do you want to love your work? If so look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at BASF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Limited working hours
    -Lots of holidays and vacation

Cons

- The company is so large that there are entire groups at the company who get paid to do nothing and no one ever says anything.
    - The technology used in sales is often 20 years old.
    - They promote their "values" but don't take action against sexist, ageist, or racist behavior unless it happens in a public forum. Even then the person might not be reprimanded.
    - Many people within the company don't understand how their own products work because there is no encouragement to share among peers at a level they will understand.
    - They try to encourage leadership and growth but fail at all levels and only promote people to act as placeholders, not to actually use talent.
    - Limited communication at all levels

Advice to Management

- Deep cuts and massive restructuring
    - Educational programs for ALL employees
    - Encourage open dialogue
    - Massive technological improvements
    - Get rid of the "old boys club" which still exists within the company

"BASF Overview"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation including benefits is very good.

Cons

Incredibly slow moving organization - difficult to get things accomplished.

Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for your review and for acknowledging our Compelling Total Offer. Our CTO team works hard to ensure employees receive benefits that go beyond the paycheck.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Technologist in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - Technologist in Geismar, LA

I have been working at BASF full-time

Pros

Lots of pros with the company. Good pay, benefits, etc. A positive culture in the plant.

Cons

Company policies make is much more beneficial to go into a buisness role rather than the plant, which is driving great professionals away from manufacturing. Additionally, the diverisity push has hurt morale with a lot of workers because they feel like they do not have a chance to advance due to their diversity status.

Advice to Management

Realize that the culture at the plants needs help, and they should incentivize plant professionals. Cool it on the diversity push, as it is killing morale and many diverse candidates are being set up for failure as many people believe that is the only reason they recieved their role.

Dec 13, 2018 – Chief Diversity Officer

Thank you for your post. At BASF, we are committed to hiring the best people for the job, and to selecting and developing the best talent from across the very diverse North American talent market... More

"Good not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at BASF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent depending on the role, reasonable hours, insurance and 401k

Cons

Hostile work environment, leadership doesn’t care abut anything but their own ego, always rumors and gossiping, some people overpaid and over-incentivized at the expense of others.

6. "Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, empowerment & inclusion focus, work-life balance. Everyone works from home at least one day per week. Flex hours are available to every full-time employee. The Florham Park facility is beautiful. Benefits are generous. The environment is very diverse and collaborative. The company encourages cross-functional opportunities.

Cons

German management adds layers of bureaucracy. Investment in manufacturing is focused in Europe to the detriment of profits in North America.

Advice to Management

invest - digitalization, capacity, R&D.

Dec 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write the wonderful review! BASF prides itself on fostering an environment where our employees can constantly grow, learn, and #belongatBASF.

7. "Parking & Restoration Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company promotes work/life balance well

Cons

Lack of communication within organization

"Hostile Work Environment...newly Oligarch owned"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, fast paced, above average salary, great colleagues, self-learning and development encouraged. I found great mentors here, although I had to take any and all effort to identify and find the subject matter expert (one who has the ability timewise of course), foster the relationship, and was extremely lucky with who my colleagues were. There is ample opportunity for self development through courses, workshops, etc. Vacation and benefits arel amazing.

Cons

There is absolutely no career development plan system, nor will one materialize even if you speak with leadership multiple times per day/week/month about anything relating to this topic. I was not allowed to attend industry professional and/or subject matter conferences due to cost restrictions (other's in same position were able to depending on BU). Direct line manager on up had literally no understanding of what my position entailed, or what I was working on at any given time (despite myself personally setting up weekly or bi-weekly status update / project management plans. Manager blatantly lied on yearly review bc I took actions that were at the minimal ethical, but also defied SLT guidance to manage project in a manner that would lead to reporting Inaccurate information to government bodies.....co-workers out of this world, but management (mostly) is incompetent, ignorant, unethical, or all of the above.

Advice to Management

Give employees input on their work, especially when asked for feedback. Enstate development plans for employees, have an idea of their field of work and what they are working on, possibly give development input without constant unsuccessful solicitation from the employee. Allow employees to perform their role in an ethical manner. Do not lie on reviews, and pressure employees to perform their role in a manner that is essentially corrupt.

9. "Systems Administrator / Information Security Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Bellefonte, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Bellefonte, PA

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and pay

Cons

Management is not pleant to work with - they are 100% micro-managers, some departments can do whatever they wish and others are micromanaged to no end.

Advice to Management

Let professionals be professional - stop interfering, and never tell systems information engineers that management is willing to take a risk of not properly securing systems - this is very IGNORANT - you dont take risks.

10. "Great large company with endless opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Geismar, LA

I have been working at BASF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BASF leads the pack when it comes to empoering employees. The company’s overall benefits package are superior to most other petro-chemical companies (yes, even oil and gas). A German company with a big presence in the US sets up for a great benefits and pay. I’ve worked for 2 similar companies in my 10yr career and I plan to retire here.

Cons

As with any large (50,000+ employees) company, change comes very slow.

Advice to Management

Keep putting employees as top priority.