BELFOR Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
BELFOR Group CEO Sheldon Yellen
Sheldon Yellen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people to work with on the team and crew side (in 6 reviews)

• Can receive a lot of overtime, can take vehicle home whenevr (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Excessive travel, low pay and lack of support from management (in 5 reviews)

• Hard work not rewarded and low bonuses at the end of the year (in 4 reviews)

1. "Large Company Growing in Tech"

I have been working at BELFOR Group full-time

Pros

The reputation of the company is unbeatable. The global reach is great to have behind you as you work and the national resources are very helpful. It is satisfying to help people recover from disaster and loss.

Cons

The company is very far behind in terms of technology and when they roll out national programs the committees don't speak with each other so you have numerous "platforms" that are clunky and require you to double and sometimes triple enter your work.

Advice to Management

Hire an agency to help roll out national programs.

2. "Good Company, Catching up to Tech"

Current Employee - Production Manager
    Current Employee - Production Manager

I have been working at BELFOR Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Resources from the National level are helpful. There is always someone that can answer your questions from the home office - very helpful and friendly. They have a great, clean image in the field and are very well respected in the industry.

Cons

They are behind with technology. The software programs used are out of date and create duplicate work - the software programs don't "talk" to each other. The updates and changes to technology rolled out from National can be challenging and difficult to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Hire a professional consultant to roll out national programs and have program committees meet regularly to streamline rollouts.

3. "Carpenter"

I have been working at BELFOR Group full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, easy work when set up with work. Really enjoy the customers.

Cons

Some of the bosses are LAZY refuse to work, was handed his job because of his family. Absolutely hate sitting in the office with nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Lose the lazy bosses. People can't be haters when they are management, it affects everyone at work !!

"Director of Safety"

Current Employee - Safety Director in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Safety Director in Exton, PA

I have been working at BELFOR Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect work life balance and it is always exciting

Cons

Salaries can be low for new employees

Advice to Management

Create better incentive programs

5. "Restoration Technician"

Pros

Can receive a lot of overtime, can take vehicle home whenevr

Cons

Low hourly, must work your but off nights, weekends, holidays to even make a good check. Company makes more money off of you after 5pm while you waste your night working and still make the same pay.

Advice to Management

Needs to be better

6. "Inspired TO Disappointment"

Former Employee - Benefits Administrator in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Benefits Administrator in Birmingham, MI

I worked at BELFOR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, birthday treats, flexible, free lunch on your birthday, and awesome coworkers!

I was forced to learn a lot of information in a short period of time. Some the department is severely understaffed, a PRO would be job security.

Cons

No raises, bonuses not based on performance, lack of moral, no advancement, low pay, lack of leadership, parking, dress code, expensive insurance, dirty office and bathrooms.

When I accepted this position I thought I would be with the company for a long time. I researched the CEO and watched his undercover boss episode and was excited to start! The manager of the department resigned my second week there, so this was my opportunity to shine. After working there a year, my perspective quickly changed. I was praying for an exit door. I worked hard everyday, improved processes, cleaned up and organized files, got my program in full compliance, worked late evenings and weekends, I gave my ALL. This was all for nothing. I was never recognized or even told thank you for all the processes I improved. I watched my understaffed team work hard everyday but when it was time for pay increases, they didn't match the work. Recently everyone was given a little over $1. Since insurance increased, most won't see any difference in take home pay. I've asked many people and no one could tell me how Christmas bonuses are rewarded. It's all based on politics. And for the people who don't get bonuses, you are not even told why. The salary they pay for the work you're required to do is an insult. I could no longer work in a negative, unethical, dishonest, and unorganized environment. They do not "believe" in paying employees atleast market value.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to have atleast semi-annual town hall meetings with the corporate office. Many employees are unhappy there. I had to come to work everyday and hear my supervisor complain about being overworked and underpaid. The company will continue to lose the good employees if drastic changes are not made soon. Sometime employees who work at corporate are forced to take second jobs because they can't survive off the pay. It's so discouraging to see the executive team drive there expensive cars and live happy while the employees can barely pay their rent and mortgages unless they work 60 plus hours a week.

I appreciate the stepping stone at this company. However I am excited I left to join a company more aligned with my values.

Invest more time in getting to know what your employees want/need to be happy. Sometimes a Thank You goes a long way!

7. "Sales/Estimating"

Current Employee - Sales/Estimator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales/Estimator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at BELFOR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company lots of resources

Cons

Large company that grew through quick acquisitions. No consistency from office to office or region to region. Great in large scale commercial and residential emergency mitigation but lack the right system to be good at the reconstruction. Attitude of lets get it and worry about the rest later.

Advice to Management

If you want to be great put systems and cultures in place before you venture into that sector. What makes you good at mitigation will not make you good in reconstruction

"Project Manager - Windsor Branch"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at BELFOR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resources, plain and simple. Whether it be equipment or man power. Great information management systems. Some great people to work with on the team and crew side. Managers in place should not be managers, they should be sales or project management, estimating or something other than being in charge of leading a team in any way, shape or form. Some great people get put in spots they shouldn't be and then they end up looking like crap because they were "forced" into a job they couldn't do, and then it's their fault. Sad to see happen.

Cons

Sneaky management, ulterior motives, baiting, promises that are not kept. Constant attempt to get you to "rat" on someone and promising it will stay between the two of you only to find out the next day that they had no intention of respecting their word.

Hippocrates, everywhere.

People that are all "talk"

If you have an employee that is always over their goals, has high customer service ratings, keeps a high profit margin. Yet you berate them, and only expect more...... then don't put goals for them to make. Because all it does is show everyone that no matter how good you do, and even if your double what your goals are, or heck even triple that really goals don't mean crap, and all you want is the person to be a slave, and all you care about is more, more, more.

Advice to Management

Always get rid of the venomous employee, the employee who will go out of their way to get someone in trouble, the one who talks down to others, the morale destroyer, the snake, the rat, the one who has no respect of authority, the one who will never admit wrong doing, the one who will always have a reason why they did what they did, the one who breaks down and cries when you attempt to have a talk. The one who immediately trash talks about the person who just left the room. The one that is so unhappy in their personal life that they try to make everyone else miserable. The one who thinks they are the boss of everyone, and tries to direct everyone as if they are in control. Every office has one, but some offices have them in one horrid, supreme waste of human life. It's sad, it's disgusting, it's just flat out sickening.

Otherwise you will continue to lose valuable assets, people who care, people who want to do good, the people that make you the money, and the people who bring in the work.

Ultra micro management will destroy your team. They are either going to do their job or they're not. If you make your office seem like everyone is on felony parole, and constantly being over monitored (GPS tracking, email watching, asking where people are after work hours, etc) you will have high turn over forever, and will always have to be picking up the pieces of whoever last quit. If you have an average of having an 1-2 employees quit a month and their reason is listed above. Then you should think about what you are truly trying to build.

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Birmingham, MI

Pros

Lots of work, help with continuing education, pay is competitive, they give you plenty of freedom without micro managing and they have great benefits.

Cons

Rare reviews, too much work at times and managers are pretty much caught up in their work problems.

Advice to Management

Take a breather once a year and listen/look/talk to your staff.

"long hours not enough pay"

Former Employee - Water Technician in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Water Technician in Exton, PA

I worked at BELFOR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lot of overtime, some good people out there

Cons

they pay you as a labor to start and you will not get raise until 3rd year 0.25 dollars... if you are lucky, expensive benefits no run to grow.