BOLD Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2018

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is also another big item for me as an individual in the career world" (in 11 reviews)

• "Catered meals at least once a week, great outings like the catamaran trip, unlimited PTO, delicious snack stocked in the kitchen just to name a few" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Business model seems largely based on users forgetting that they subscribed" (in 4 reviews)

• "Nothing as such,but company should focus more on learning and development" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BOLD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I belong in a small team within the company. It's great to be a part of. I anticipate having less issues dealing with colleagues this way. Everyone in the team works well together. Communication is good among the two small teams in Puerto Rico and San Francisco office. Time will tell how the two team can work together tackling bigger future projects. The team does have a strong sense of supporting one another which I feel is great to have; especially within a small group of people.

I appreciate the catered lunch, breakfast, and snacks. This definitely adds on to the quality of the working environment of the office. The overall feel of the colleagues has been quite nice. Everyone is friendly and easy going. First to ever have "unlimited PTO". And within reasons you can feel free to take time off and recharge.

Work-life balance is also another big item for me as an individual in the career world. The team understands that there is life outside of work. You are trusted to do your work, and that you must also take care of your own.
    I'm fortunate to be in a great place that I'm willing to put in time and effort to be successful within the team and this organization.

Cons

No company is perfect. Fortunately, I haven't found anything that's worthy of concern to make it on this list.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your peers and colleagues. Favor shall be returned naturally.

Nov 27, 2018 – Manager

We appreciate your observations!

We wholeheartedly agree with you that BOLD is a great place to professionally grow, as well as experience a super-friendly group of colleagues and a vast array... More

"If it’s too good to be true, then it’s Bold"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Guaynabo, PR
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Guaynabo, PR

I worked at BOLD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Fridge/Kitchen(Careful with the extremely old/expired bagels and yogurt

Cons

CEO’s are pathetic
    Shady and borderline unethical business practices
    Poor Customer Service Etiquette
    0 Product Value... All about the Benji’s at All Cost

Advice to Management

CEO’s should not be hypocritical and actually should listen to their employees
    Stop with the shady business model. Sell the value of your product for what it’s worth, and not a bunch of Bull to your Customers

"Good experience but could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BOLD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not to sound sycophantic, but there are some truly amazing people here. People you will want to be friends with outside of work, people you will care about. Location is great for commuters, heart of the city right next to a Bart/Muni stop. I enjoy the catered meals, drinks, cold brew, and snacks we have on site; I'm rarely hungry.

Cons

Like every company there are pros and cons. I can't say that any of the following are explicitly unique to Bold, but they exist and are in plain sight.

Personal Growth & Development - Compared to other companies in the area, Bold invests very little in developing its staff, particularly younger ones. Managers tend to focus solely on achieving KPIs, not developing employees to be more skilled. Limited training budget, but those who have used it have gotten positive experiences from it. Upward growth is defined by "career ladders" which are largely a list of job descriptions, which shouldn't be confused for a way to grow and develop. Salary and career growth are the two biggest reasons people leave.

Line of sight - The KPI culture is ingrained at the expense of establishing clear lines of sight where employees know what they do matter. Measuring against a goal is fine, but not all goals line up so that someone can easily say "what I do directly impacts the company, and here's how..."

Communication silos - Every quarter a hot topic of conversation is how we can get better at communicating, but progress is minimal. Big teams struggle to clearly and regularly communicate with other teams. Little teams within a big team struggle to communicate with each other. The go-to response is to add more meetings or add more people to existing meetings, but these haven't made much progress. It's a cliche, but your success at Bold depends on your relationships with people.

Advice to Management

Proactively engage the employees to get a pulse check on the company instead of letting middle management filter it to suit their needs. Town halls have their place, but use Q4 to meet with small teams to understand what they're doing and how they're feeling so that you can better support them

Nov 5, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for your thoughts and observations.

We are proud of the culture we have developed here at BOLD. As you mentioned, if you enjoy the comradery of a friendly office, interesting and... More

4. "Associate Data Scientist"

I have been working at BOLD full-time

Pros

I just join Bold for a bit more than a month. Everyone is really supportive. The free snacks, drinks, and Fruits are amazing. I`m in a small data science team and got the chance to learn what all the other teammates are doing. It's also really amazing that we only have two mandatory meetings per week and I got enough time to sit done and do works rather than running from meeting to meetings.

Cons

I may be wrong. I heard that we can only be at the office from 8 am to 7 pm. It's not a problem for me since I don't show up that early. However, in my previous job, I know some of the people willing to start working at 6 am to avoid traffic and leave at 3 pm to pick up kids. It could be a drawback for some early birds.

Sep 28, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased to know that you are enjoying your role at BOLD. As you have noticed, we all work towards providing a comfortable and productive atmosphere for... More

"Don’t join, glad I left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BOLD full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, chill people, good health care

Cons

• pay is below market
    • turnover is high
    • morale is low
    • VPs micromanage, flip flop, have no direction
    • Directors do whatever VPs want even when it makes no sense
    • high level of burn out
    • Product needs work
    • marketing doesn’t know what they’re doing
    • shady business model
    • metrics focus only on conversion and charge backs
    • no career growth or development

Advice to Management

• get rid of the many useless VPs
    • quit changing your mind so much
    • pay more
    • let people grow
    • hire people who know what they’re doing

Nov 5, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for your comments.

We are sorry to read of your negative impressions of BOLD. We strive to transform work lives and that endeavor begins here at the BOLD offices. As we continue to... More

6. "data analyst"

Pros

it was ok kind of

Cons

not very bad . overall good

"Good people, wrong objectives"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BOLD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Friendly staff and executives
    * Good opportunity to start your career
    * Company is financially secure,, but layovers can come abruptly.
    * Good worklife balance.

Cons

* Profits put ahead of ethics
    * Customer happiness is an afterthought
    * While I worked there, HR overlooked certain behavior that was inappropriate. They have made some corrections, however.

Advice to Management

So much potential, but in my own opinion the opportunity is squandered by short term profit thinking.

Sep 28, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for your thoughts.

As Bold continues to grow and mature, we continually strive for each employee to have an extremely positive experience in personal and professional growth. We are not... More

"Good company, but a few bad apples ruined the experience"

Current Employee - Contract in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Contract in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BOLD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a very supportive manager who really listened to me

Cons

My manager's colleague was pretty rude to me on a few occasion, which ultimately led to me desperately wanting to leave the organization

Sep 28, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to convey your experience.

We pride ourselves in maintaining a professional atmosphere where everyone is treated and valued in a respectful manner. Please know that... More

"BOLD is lost...avoid..."

I worked at BOLD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO
    Occasional trip to Puerto Rico

Cons

Turnover seems endless
    Upper management misaligned
    Career progression is non existent, and if there is any it's based on favoritism or to keep employees from leaving
    Sketchy business model
    Too many meetings not enough execution
    Favoritism for certain functions
    Constantly changing strategies

Advice to Management

Take care of people who put in effort to make BOLD a better place. Stop putting Product Managers on a pedestal, switching strategies every 3 months. Avoid this company....

Aug 9, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for your comments.

As BOLD has rapidly grown in the last few years, we have continually invested in our employees. From ensuring our people have some of the most comprehensive benefits... More

10. "Good Company for Self-Motivated"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BOLD (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of freedom to grow and operate
    - Smart people
    - Good office with lots of perks
    - Flexible PTO

Cons

- Company is a bit cautious with growth
    - Very consensus driven which can slow things down

Aug 9, 2018 – Manager

We appreciate your comments.

As you noticed during your tenure here, we do our best to ensure our BOLD people have plenty of opportunities to professionally grow and stretch their wings.

We... More