Backstage Library Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John T. Merrill

1. "Very disheartening...but has great potential if management changes some of their ways of doing things."

Former Employee - Digitization Technician in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Digitization Technician in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Backstage Library Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part is working independently and the quiet atmosphere. Can listen to music with headphones. It's not much, but in the breakroom they provide fruits and vegetables for employees free of charge.

Cons

The lack of training. They spend the time and effort for the hiring process with their "pre-employment test" to weed out who can pass this ridiculous test, but no time is actually spent for properly training employees. Constantly being tossed around between team leaders doesn't help either. No feedback for new hires on how their performance is. Once asked a question and was told by team leader he had no time to spend showing me how to do something.

Advice to Management

Take the time out to properly train employees. In the long run spending the time instead of making it seem rushed will benefit the managers and the employees. Also, don't have someone train that only started two weeks before the person they're training because the team leads are overwhelmed with deadlines. This only causes confusion and training isn't conveyed perhaps how it should be to succeed.

2. "Would never work for this company again."

Former Employee - Library Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Library Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Backstage Library Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great, flexible schedule was a bonus.

Cons

The management really needs to get it together. The project was poorly organized and the employees were treated as though it was all their fault. Management constantly talked down to employees, was never available when needed, and were incapable of communicating clearly. Hours were often cut with no or little warning. Several co-workers got bumped off of full-time with zero warning. CEO only cares about making profits and not willing to take responsibility.

Advice to Management

Work on better project management skills, communication, taking accountability, and treating employees as actual people and not machines.

3. "Worked as a team leader on a remote project at an academic library"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Princeton, NJ

Pros

They paid reasonably and were very professional. Our workflows were excellent and the timelines for the project were also very good. Management trusted us to get our jobs done and allowed a lot of personal independence while doing so.

Cons

Wearing uniform shirts was unpleasant in the context of working in an academic library. Some of the technology could have been designed better to assist with our project and to integrate employee reported results with the actual results recorded by the (different) program used to do the work. They should have structured the project such that full employee incentives were always available.

4. "Decent work environment, not much room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mapleton, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mapleton, UT

I have been working at Backstage Library Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed the flexible schedule, it makes things a lot less stressful when I have to run to a doctor appointment or something. The people I work with are great and the work itself is fascinating, though I know it is not for everyone. It really has been a good workplace for me.

Cons

Some departments are run better than others which leads to some people being overworked, though it is not always the fault of the department head.
    The pay isn't the greatest but we get by.
    It is difficult to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

While some management has been through some sort of job related training, it really needs to be mandatory for all new and current managers.
    Be sure to tell your employees that you value them. Don't always look for the negative, especially when there is a lot of positive happening.

5. "Great 1st job out of college"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Backstage Library Works (More than a year)

Pros

relaxed environment, independence, working with the material, most of the other employees are outgoing, learning new things, president talks to employees, schedule & able to make up hours that are missed, overtime hours available, second shift is the best

Cons

pay, communication needs improvement, unable to socialize while working, limited opportunity to advance, no sick days, sad to see workers who have been there for years not get what they deserve & people who have only been there for a year have things handed to them, uncertainty of being let go or moved because projects run out

Advice to Management

know your job before holding your head too high

6. "Eh..it is what it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Backstage Library Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Overtime Offered
    Quite a few Bonuses have been added for being a top producer, Christmas, Work Anniversary, and Profit sharing for all employees
    Material can be quite interesting & Challenging to work with

Cons

The C.E.O. is thick headed and too far right..do we really have to pray on the job ?
    Upper Management can be unapproachable at times
    Middle Management has too much of a hand in production and there are far too many of them
    Training sessions should be more in depth and hands on than they are.
    The HVAC system is hopelessly broken, it's cold in the winter and hot in the Summer.

7. "Judgmental Mormom Bishop"

I worked at Backstage Library Works full-time

Pros

In the beginning there were lots of opportunities for advancement and a great atmosphere. There were a lot of good people there and I made some lasting friendships.

Cons

The owner asks personal questions of his employees and then demotes or fires them if they are in upper-division positions and he doesn't like their answers. For example, he asked me Mormon bishop's interview type questions (and he was a bishop), then later on I was demoted because apparently I hadn't answered worthily enough for a temple recommend. He didn't come out and say he was discriminating (he didn't give a reason for demoting me), but he definitely used Utah's "at will" loophole for businesses to discriminate against non-temple-recommend holders. I saw him do this over and again with perfectly good employees who did their jobs exceptionally well.

Advice to Management

Separate church and state. Keep your judgmental Mormon bishop opinions to yourself! What you are doing is illegal and unethical and one day will catch up to you.

Backstage Library Works Response

Mar 10, 2017 – President

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the folks you worked with day-to-day. I cannot argue with your perceptions of my management methods. However I must strongly object to ... More

8. "cataloging team"

Former Employee - Cataloger in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Cataloger in Provo, UT

I worked at Backstage Library Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, friendly coworkers, interesting work

Cons

skills from this job not super transferable to positions elsewhere

Advice to Management

more professional management training

9. "Good for the short term, but a bad choice for a long-term career"

I worked at Backstage Library Works full-time

Pros

Flexibility. Benefits. If you're young, you will probably do well at this company for awhile.

Cons

Incompetent managers and team leaders. Toxic work environment. Lots of drama, lots of employee gossip. Terrible communication from those in charge will cause problems with the work you do, and you'll get the blame for it. Very poor work environment. I saw this company discriminate against some of my coworkers with health problems, and they lost their jobs over it. They also at one point got rid of many of their lower level, older employees who were over the age of 38, so there was some discrimination there as well. This company only favors youth when it comes to promotions as well. Certain departments are struggling, so your job may only be temporary as the work runs out.

10. "It was very brief...was laid off after a company takeover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Backstage Library Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company, direct access to leadership, had a fresh perspective on the business that we were in,

Cons

Health insurance went in toilet, threatened large pay cuts and our salaries were at their ceiling leaving little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

They lost a lot of people due to their threat of cutting salaries and benefits when they took over. That really was not a cool way to introduce yourself and make a fresh start only to find out you didn't follow through on what you said you would do. How about being more honest next time.