Bandwidth Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Bandwidth Co-Founder and CEO David Morken
David Morken

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work-life balance as long as you aren't in middle management" (in 13 reviews)

• "Benefits package includes just about everything" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bandwidth also claims to have great work/life balance, but don't expect to have much flexibility if you're in an operations team" (in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management comes from Microsoft in the "bad old days" and has modeled their work culture to follow that" (in 9 reviews)

"My all-time favorite place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance, NCSU gym access, 90 minute lunch for exercise or sports, showers on every floor, work-life balance, great coffee, fun culture, great for families

Cons

No cons in the few months I've been here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The Whole Person Promise has improved my life inside and outside of work.

2. "Billing Analyst"

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Great culture to work in

Cons

Be prepared to work a lot without a lot of notice

"Believe the Hype!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-At least 75% of the team reaches goal every month so the OTE is actually an accurate representation of what you will make
    -Culture is top notch
    -Growing like crazy so money to be made
    -Management very supportive and always willing to listen if something is not right

Cons

-Training was lacking up front when I first started but we have a full time trainer now to assist with getting new people up to speed

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I love working here!

"Breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture
    Work/life balance
    Benefits
    Upward mobility
    Rewards for hard/great work
    Family friendly
    Wonderful/intelligent work force

Bandwidth is amazing. I came from a job where I was to the point that I dreaded going to work each day, since coming to Bandwidth I can honestly say I get excited to go into the office everyday. The culture/work environment and people here are so refreshing, I am working with some of the most intelligent and passionate individuals I have ever met. Bandwidth offers fantastic benefits and is VERY family friendly - there are even different policies in place to ensure when your on PTO people don’t bother you so you can relax and refresh. The technology/product Bandwidth produces is really cool and it seems that being better then before is the name of the game - they provide the tools necessary for everyone to be successful from the billing department to the engineering teams. Overall, I am stoked to be here - this is the first time I can honestly say I love my job.

Cons

Get rid of the oatmeal raisin cookies up front, but honestly I have no real complaints - I love my job and this company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing, as Bandwidth continues to grow there will be inevitable changes - take them a day/step at a time and everything will be ok!

"Meh."

I worked at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Benefits package includes just about everything

Lots of fun after-work events

Cons

Low pay more than offsets benefits.

Work-life balance is a myth. You can work every day in some departments and it still won't be enough. You might be working on your vacation time too.

Management hasn't had any training in leadership, or the legal requirements of managing people, and it shows. Micromanagement, verbal abuse, and discrimination are pretty common here.

Cliquishness disguised as a search for a "culture fit." I felt like I was back in middle school.

Technology is dated, opportunities for advancement are limited. This place probably won't advance your career unless you've just graduated and need a first job. Otherwise, it's probably not for you.

Politics is the name of the game. Upper management comes from Microsoft in the "bad old days" and has modeled their work culture to follow that. Microsoft has learned and is changing their ways. Bandwidth doesn't seem to want to follow their example.

Advice to Management

Business first.

6. "Okay"

I worked at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Fun people, supervisors understood the challenges and had your back

Cons

low pay and tried to make up for it with worthless "benefits"

"So many problems, where do I even begin."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits and challenges, free gym use and 1.5 hour workout lunches. Bandwidth uses its benefits (specifically its healthcare) as an excuse to underpay its employees a ridiculous amount of money.

Cons

Within the span of 6 months, 90% of my department left the company, changed departments, or was let go. The director of my department was rarely around and when they were around seriously lacked the leadership skills to communicate goals and expectations effectively. The director made it very apparent who they did and did not like. After our manager was pushed out for questioning authority, the role was left empty for months on end, leaving us with no real leadership, and was eventually filled by the next person in line, rather than the person best suited for the job. There was something seriously wrong in the department. People began accepting positions in different departments, and one by one people either quit or were let go. Other employees told me about arbitrary Performance Improvement Plan goals that were created for them to intentionally fail, such as "attitude improvement." One coworker even overheard my director trash talking her to another employee. The department essentially went up in flame and they lost all of their talent. At the end of the day, I think they really just wanted people to come in, keep their head down, and do the work without asking questions or contributing to the company culture. I can't even begin to truly describe how mismanaged the department was. It was like our director was in the eye of the storm, seeing all the chaos around them, and appeared to think that none of it was their problem or at all related to them.

Along with all of the problems mentioned above, Bandwidth pays it's operations teams DIRT. Entry level employees can expect to get paid in the low $30,000's, even if they come from prestigious universities with advanced degrees. Making the kind of money you deserve here is next to impossible. When I left Bandwidth and started working at my new job, I got close to a $15k raise. And after years of hard work and loyalty - don't expect to be able to negotiate your salary at all. The executives will tell you that you're not worth what other people in your area make, and if you're in the job for the money then you should leave. Bandwidth also claims to have great work/life balance, but don't expect to have much flexibility if you're in an operations team.

This is a serious warning to anyone interested in working at Bandwidth - proceed with extreme caution.

Advice to Management

After entire departments leave or are let go, take a serious look at the leadership to see what is wrong rather than just re-hiring bodies. Put people in leadership positions that have strong leadership traits and want to be in the roles, not just the people who happen to be next in line. Treat your employees like they are valuable, not just a number. Pay them what they deserve for their long hours and hard work. Allow employees to have and to voice their opinions, even when they don't align with those of management. Stop using performance improvement plans as a way to intentionally push people out because you don't like them or who they were hired by. Take a serious look at the trends of failing departments to see if it's actually the team members or just incompetent directors.

"Not ready for primetime"

I worked at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Free food, gym access

Cons

Too many. Lots of ageism here.

Advice to Management

This place is for millennials and the inexperienced. Management is lacking here which drives out good talent. Make this your stepping stone out of college. Wireless product is still in the garage phase.

"Engineer"

Pros

NONE, I caution all.

Cons

Like the company, Morken (the CEO) is the reason this place really sucks. He and his wana-be-management will throw you under the buss in a heart beat.

Advice to Management

LEAVE, so the company can mature

"Good Comapy"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture. Gym perk is awesome

Cons

Low pay. You take a pay cut to come here.