Barcodes Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Nettesheim

Pros
  • Frequently catered lunches, happy hours and office events really make for a cool and fun environment (in 6 reviews)

• Very lax and easy going work environment, beer Fridays and free lunch are constant (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Insanely high turnover across all departments (in 8 reviews)

• Be nice if people can work from home regularly (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time

Pros

Great people across the board - everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Lots of freedom to run your book of business the way you want to.
    Really taking great steps to streamline systems and processes and make it easier to sell.
    Open to new ideas and trying new things.
    Huge product list with lots of opportunity to be successful.

Cons

Some outdated systems still exist, in the process of updating and changing.

Advice to Management

On the right track - keep doing what you're doing and improving the processes to make selling easier for account managers.

2. "Sales Company that Continues to Grow"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sales Rep friendly commission structure that allows for immediate success and high end earnings.
    Fun place to work with a great environment - Team and company events, casual dress code, collaboration among departments.
    Career path that allows you to choose the direction in which you would like to advance.
    Consistent warm leads through multiple sources. Allows Sales Reps to build a strong book of business.

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated and need to be upgraded. That is currently being addressed and new systems should be in place by end of 2016.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the right decision on hiring and growing the company.

3. "Tech company with positive growth"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a lot of ownership of the direction of your own business here.
    Lucrative commission structure for people that work hard and work smart (uncapped).
    Plenty of warm leads generated from SEO.
    Ongoing training.
    Fellow reps and managers willing to help you regardless what level you are at.
    New ERP and CRM system being implemented this year.
    The ability to make suggestions and influence my career.
    Casual dress code if that is something that important to you.

Cons

A lot of ownership of my own book. Having too much control can feel overwhelming at times and can distract me from selling.
    New ERP and CRM system is creating a bit of drag as implementation happens but will likely smooth out in 2017.
    Base pay for sales isn't great, but with hard work and self-development the commission structure can more than make up for this.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve internal processes with departments and software to maximize everyone's abilities.

5. "GREAT COMPANY WITH A BRIGHT FUTURE!!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking to work hard and make good money, this is the place for you! It truly is a place where you get back what you put in. There is an aggressive, uncapped commission structure which can net you some big paychecks! The culture at BCI is great. There are a lot of very nice and knowledgeable people who can help you become successful. Management is very focused on the success of their sales reps and are great coaches! Frequently catered lunches, happy hours and office events really make for a cool and fun environment.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the current CRM system but that is being upgraded right now!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. "Great Sales Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Growing company with lots of great perks to go with it ( Beer Friday's , Cubs games, casual dress code ). The commission plan is great / uncapped with high earnings potential. I really enjoy the team atmosphere and the direction we are heading.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit slow , but I beleive they are being upgraded this year.

Advice to Management

Continue to build and add the right people to the organization.

7. "Temp position"

Pros

It has office lounge perks

Cons

It has a very typical office feel

"Account Manager"

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time

Pros

Great food all the time

Cons

They do not work with your schedule, training is long and mono toned, to actually become Account Manager is about 5 months, treat you like grammar school students.

Advice to Management

Try to be more like the CEO rather than find ways to look good in front of him.

"Only review you need to read"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made like 75k during my first year here, which included 2 full months of non-commissioned sales training. Prior to this job, I had never picked up a barcode scanner nor set foot in a warehouse.

Cons

If I must note a con, it would be that, if there was less procedural red-tape based on arbitrary "best-practices" as opposed to actual rules, I could make much more money. I am no stranger to business from an operational standpoint and trust my own judgement on this one. Fortunately, sales-management has always helped me conquer operational drama.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. The sales-management (from top to bottom) is top-notch and I believe in them. I'd also like to trade my base salary for a 1099 with more aggressive commission + total autonomy. This would be fantastic and - if offered to all employees - potentially trump gripes about "low base salary and lack of telecommuting" that appear all over this forum. It would better pay top sales-reps that could almost certainly make more money elsewhere while limiting implied risk, and demonstrate positive examples for reps that choose to stay on the existing, entry-level (at best) comp, at least in terms of how hard work yields huge rewards. Think capitalism, not socialism.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loop location
    great people to work with
    products are always changing and getting better
    Company events and food
    Spiff opportunities

Cons

Communication between departments
    systems
    majority of the employees are almost all male

"Opportunity for Hard Workers"

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, company and vendor events, awesome location in the loop, pretty casual environment. If you're willing to work hard and put in the effort, opportunities will come. The company isn't huge, so you can see the result of your work.

Cons

Can be chaotic and experience growing pains, but nothing out of the ordinary for a growing tech company. Would be nice to have more flexibility with working from home, but otherwise hours are fairly flexible once you prove yourself.

Advice to Management

Continue to make sure successes and changes are being communicated from the top down so all employees feel engaged and aware of what's going on.