Bedding Experts Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's OK"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Burbank, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Burbank, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your pay is how well you can sell

Cons

Best opportunities aren't always there

Advice to Management

Eh

2. "store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay if you are in a better volume store and get your commissions payed bi weekly and a decent monthly bonus

Cons

long hours with a lot of down time you are on your own and it gets a little boring though out the day

Advice to Management

be more open and honest

3. "Good Sales Job For Outgoing People Person"

Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Income Potential
    Good In-store Training
    Good if you like working alone and not being micro-managed
    Hourly or Commission Only Opportunities

Cons

Long Hours - 12 Hour Days

Not much walk in traffic during the week, so the days tend to be kinda boring at times

During my interview I was told I would go through 4-6 weeks of training and then get my own store... which is not exactly correct, as you have to be a "floater" / work at various stores for several months before you get your own store. I was also told during my interview that I would start at $10 per hour + 2% commission on gross sales, but it turned out being just the hourly with no commission. I started right before labor day weekend and made 17 sales during that weekend, so I was ticked when I found out my paycheck was going to be alot smaller then I envisioned. :-(

Advice to Management

More honesty during the interview process is needed, as I liked the job, but I couldn't "float" from store to store, as I share a car with someone else. That's the reason I quit the job, which stinks because I know I could have been very successful in this job.

Also the sales software is very complicated and hard to learn... could use a tutorial that doesn't require an actual sale in order to learn the various entries and processes.

4. "Not Recommended. There are more jobs out there!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of free time, given selling power to make any deal, not much real work to do just wait for the next customer.

Cons

Very hard to make commission, seems like owners price ad beds to lower chances, district managers are not helpful, make you drive to pointless meetings once a month.

Advice to Management

Get real district managers that actual do their job.

5. "New Owners Destroyed Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Honestly, after the new owners, I can't think of any pros. We used to have a nice time, we worked hard, but still had fun. They sucked the life out of it.

Cons

Hours, complete disregard to family life and scheduling agreements, fight for your commissions, constant pay changes, lack of stock, lack of upper management help, complete sexual discrimination, and families with children.

Advice to Management

Sell to people who care about their workers.

6. "65 Store small business working environment with upward growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bedding Experts is a financially stable mattress retailer that has functioned in the greater Chicago marketplace since 1983. Business is expanding greatly at this point. New stores are now opening across Chicago-land after a change in ownership, management, and the closing of some area stores in 2010-2011.

Bedding Experts has more than 60 store locations. It has a small business, relaxed atmosphere versus a corporate environment. For most employees there is good growth potential for income and the business has lots of growth potential. For salesmen, there is a great commission plan in place.

The Bedding Experts is an iconic business for mattresses in the Chicago market. It's jingle and slogan, "Where Dreams Come True!" is widely known by Chicago area residents. Since 1983, The Bedding Experts has sold more mattresses that any retailer in the Chicago area.

Cons

Hours for salespeople can be long. Sitting in a store for long hours can also be boring, especially because you're normally by yourself.

There needs to be a more organized communication structure for business planning and development.

Sometimes upper management is not sensitive to employee morale and communication is sometimes not great between upper management, department managers, and other employees

Camaraderie among employees can be improved.

Advice to Management

Have cross-department meetings. Setup regular, organized breakout meetings to address specific training, development, and planning issues. Spend more time with department managers.

7. "long hours"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Is run like your a business owner

Cons

long hours, and not much work life balance

Advice to Management

to structured to be competitive

8. "Under new ownership/upper mgmt. Many changes, poor communication"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

New ownership (fall '10) very business oriented; many changes happening to eventually make more money for the company and salespeople. New merchandise, new computer system, new atmosphere. Potential to make very good money will be high.

Cons

Communication through transition horrific. Regional managers can't reach the (new) upper management, and store managers are completely in the dark. Mystical manner of pulling managers from stores regardless of production and making budgets. 6 months after takeover, employees still on pins and needles, not knowing if/when they'll be the next to be pulled from a store or fired.

Advice to Management

Work on communication. Most of the employees would be happy to follow the direction the company is being steered if that direction was either made clear, or if they could get answers to questions when they need clarification. It's simply demoralizing to be docked pay for not following a direction that was never made clear in the first place.

9. "Bedding Experts was great company to work for. Flexiable, great benifits,"

Pros

Great benfits at Beeding Experts

Cons

Not alot of rooom for growth and management, not the best mentors.

10. "Waste of time working for a nightmare of a company!"

Pros

Good experience for someone with ambition and necessary resources for opening your own business, the stores are staffed by one person responsible for everything you could imagine to operate the business and while generating revenue from sales and referrals to earn your compensation.

Cons

Prior to 2010 company buy out the Bedding Experts was a fair company to work for!..
    And then after the new owners took over it went down hill fast, we were all lied to neumorus times regarding compensation benefits advancement opportunities etc. the worst experience I have had during a company reorganization!.. I would never recommend this employer to anyone.

Advice to Management

I don't feel the current owners have compassion or integrity worthy of suggesting management advice.
    The egotistical greedy owners will get everything they have coming to them soon enough...