Behavioral Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017

3.8
Shelly Spalding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company that invests in its employees"

I have been working at Behavioral Healthcare full-time

Pros

excellent benefits. high quality employees that truly care about their work.

Cons

salaries are not quite on par with industry standards.

2. "A promising beginning, frazzled middle and bitter ending"

Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Investment in quality employee trainings. Occasional non-monetary incentives. Steady schedule. Immeasurable experience and gained skills to further yourself in a human services field.

Cons

BHI presents themselves as a trauma-informed, wholesome, and positive company. That's great in theory, but not in practice. There is a massive divide between drop-in center staff and headquarters staff. HQ enjoys perks and a much more lax environment that is often shared through company email threads. Naps, coloring and a loose dress code are all encouraged at HQ. If you work at one of the drop-in centers, you're lucky if you don't have to work through your lunch break. Management has high expectations they often make exceptions to based on personal mood that day. And if you question any of those decisions, you will be yelled at and made to feel insignificant. If you make a mistake or ask too many questions, it will be consistently brought up and rehashed long after the fact. Your performance evaluation is often based on the personal feelings of the supervisor. That supervisor will also make note of something negative in said evaluation that has never been addressed prior to meeting. You will be given no opportunity to correct a mistake or improve inadequate performance or behavior. The environment is one of strict rules and inconsistent reinforcement. What may be fine for one employee will get another dragged into a meeting with management. You must be perfectly exact in your time punches because any deviation is frowned upon. You must be perfect even when management doesn't hold themselves to the same standard. You may not engage in non-work related conversations with other coworkers, but management can engage you in a personal conversation. When covering a position for breaks or PTO, don't expect management to actually perform any duties. They will simply be the body that fills the void until your return.

Don't go near the kitchen. Not only will you wind up lacking certain ingredients, some will be expired too. You will be instructed to use products as long as they still smell okay. You will be expected to clean up after other staff members and supervisors who may come through the kitchen and after the classes taught by the supervisor. You are expected to be able to load, unload and stock hundreds of pounds of food a week, by yourself and in under 2 hours.

If you aren't reserved, perpetually politically correct, and lacking critical thinking skills, this isn't the job for you. You may not have good days and bad days, you may not fall ill unexpectedly and you may not suffer from the same mental illnesses you've been hired to work with.

Advice to Management

Be more accepting of those who are different than you. Don't base job performance feedback on personal feelings of dislike. Listen to the feedback an employee may be trying to give you without cutting them off, becoming defensive and saying demeaning things to a person you claim to care for and support. Be honest and direct. When you communicate solely through passive aggressive actions and emails, you can't expect that it won't be reciprocated. If you claim to be focused on social work, try working on your social skills.

3. "Dedicated and qualified team members but a need for more autonomy"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Behavioral Healthcare (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits package, shared agency mission, dedicated and qualified team members.

Cons

Depending on the department and the manager within the department, my experience was wanting upper management to provide stronger advocacy for employees' autonomy and provide support towards more trusting relationships between direct-management and staff. Also, being an hourly employee meant very strict time requirements with your weekly schedule; with an expectation of clocking in at exact times and not being over or under 40 hours per week. I didn't foresee any opportunities for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Avoid micromanaging and allow more flexibility and trust with staff.

4. "Peer Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Behavioral Healthcare full-time

Pros

Excellent supervision, great training, trauma informed care approach

Cons

low wage for the position

"Progressive Company that Cares about their Employees"

Current Employee - Peer Bridger in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Peer Bridger in Denver, CO

I have been working at Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that puts an emphasis on career growth and implementing new ideas. I have never worked for a company that walks the walk like BHI. They promote self-care, customer service and operational efficiency. One of the things I like best about BHI is they reinvest in their employees through trainings (you will grow here). They have managed to create a culture of support second to none. The CEO met with me one on one just to get to know me. Every level of management has a open door policy. The focus is on the team working together to achieve a common goal of success for our members. I heard a statistic one time that 80% of the American workers are unhappy with their job. I am happy to be counted in the 20% that have a passion for what they do. Joining the BHI team is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that sometimes you find yourself in uncharted territories. You have to be willing to forge new and different ways of doing things. This means stepping outside of your comfort zone at times. Having been micro-managed in the past, this took some adjustment on my part.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to grow the company and provide the amazing opportunities that will make the company greater than it already is. My biggest advice is to keep the company culture as the company grows. As healthcare changes adapt and adjust in a way that keeps people wanting to go above and beyond in a way that contributes to the overall success at BHI.

6. "A Company Worth a Look!"

Current Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before taking my position at BHI, I was an entrepreneur for 9 years. I was nervous about working in a large company after all of the freedom I had owning my own business. I took a chance on BHI not only because of their attitude toward changing mental health for the better and eliminating stigma, but because of the forward thinking insight into the industry. .
    I have been with BHI for almost a year now and can say without hesitation that it was one of my best career moves. BHI encourages growth as a professional as well as an individual. They succeed in this by their thoughtful decisions on hiring management and employees.
    My direct supervisors have given me the opportunity and freedom to foster creativity and take positive risks in my position. BHI has always made me feel like an important and valued member of the team.
    If you are looking for an opportunity to be part of something that is doing innovative work in mental health, work in a supportive environment where employees strengths are celebrated, and where our weaknesses are built on and strengthened then I would highly recommend considering BHI.

Cons

As a non-profit, BHI is not as competitive in pay as a for-profit may be, however the benefits are superb and the working environment and colleagues make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring passionate people!

7. "Good Company, Needs a Little Work"

Pros

Great benefits, good CEO, company truly cares about its members (Medicaid recipients), great staff

Cons

Lower pay than some other nonprofits, lots of turnover lately

Behavioral Healthcare Response

Jun 11, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the four-star review! BHI certainly endeavors to be a great place work. BHI has undergone a transformation over the past couple of years to meet change in the industry and significant... More

8. "Great working evironment"

I have been working at Behavioral Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment at BHI is great. Caring managers and executive team. Passionate employees about the companies mission. Benefits are awesome. Benefits for part-time employees. Generous PTO program. Paid medical, dental, life insurance, and long-term care insurance.

Cons

Similar to other non-profit companies, Behavioral Healthcare, Inc. pay is lower than the local market. To compensate, the company offers excellent benefits.