KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

1. 5.0

Fundamentally solid; culturally invigorating

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

From a business perspective, I do not think I could come up with a stronger example. Our customers renew at an incredibly high rate, buy more software, and the employees stick around. That means a concrete business. Culturally, you have a collection of individuals who question the status quo, challenge themselves and their coworkers to be the best they can be, and encourage others to decompress and stay healthy.

Cons

Honestly, the standard "it's a start up and so culture is always at risk of changing". It's true – but as long as you commit to being part of the culture/adding to it, then Benchling will continue to thrive.

2. 5.0

Great Business, Noble Mission, Excellent People

Mar 19, 2021 - People Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Business metrics and fundamentals are incredible -It's great to know that we're helping customers develop therapeutics for all sorts of diseases. Knowing we contribute even in small part to curing diseases or helping companies get us through this pandemic is very rewarding -Excellent People throughout the company. Thoughtful, cerebral and very genuine. I thoroughly enjoy working with folks across all departments and it has been refreshing to see the sense of camaraderie amongst the team -Lot of ability to stretch yourself and take on a lot. This may not be for everyone, but this fits what I'm looking for to a T -Very low employee attrition - people seem to be genuinely happy at Benchling

Cons

-Very fast-paced and it has been tough for some to shut off from work at times. The company is trying to address this as it scales but I think it's important to note that the company is still adapting with the explosive growth

Continue reading
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to work for mission driven people

Apr 15, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone I work with is incredibly empathetic and team-oriented - The company is growing at an amazingly fast pace, generating many opportunities for career growth within the organization - Leadership is very thoughtful about how we grow as a company and how it affects the culture of the organization - Employee satisfaction is a company priority. And the introduction of company mental health during the pandemic really spoke to that.

Cons

- As the company grows, it's becoming increasingly difficult to form connections with folks in other organizations. This is especially true during remote work, due to COVID-19. - There are certainly growing pains. Most teams are stretched pretty thin as hiring velocity struggles to keep up with growing business needs.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

High quality people and challenging technical solutions

Apr 6, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The biggest pro for Benchling is the quality of the people that work here. Benchling tries to optimize for people skills as well as technical skills when hiring engineers, and it really shows in day-to-day interactions with the team. I'm consistently learning from people through technical designs, leadership qualities, and empathy to users and coworkers alike. Benchling's application services a highly sophisticated user base - lab scientists and administrators. I personally get a lot of joy building tech that works really closely with science. Even though we don't have any requirements to have a scientific background to be an engineer here, we get to work alongside scientific experts within Benchling to build features that serve highly complex workflows within biology and chemistry. Moreover, we get to learn from our coworkers with scientific backgrounds via monthly lectures and product council feedback. Lastly, I'd mention that Benchling has a positive impact via the mission of the company. Bringing 21st century tooling to scientists meaningfully helps to improve collaboration and productivity, which, in turn, helps to increase the speed at which our customers can deliver really impactful products. While there are a lot of places in tech that you can solve interesting technical problems in service of goals that don't help society, I've found that Benchling is one of the companies that is able to straddle interesting problems with a positive impact.

Cons

Benchling is a fast-growing company, and as such, there are some growing pains of figuring out what tooling, processes, and architectures worked well for a smaller team, but need to be improved for an increasingly-large engineering organization. I've been happy that leadership acknowledges and invests here, but we have and will continue to run into challenges where we need to invest more in developer productivity than a comparable company that is not going through hyper growth.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting mission and inclusive, nerdy environment

Apr 5, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Huge impact: much of lab biology is still done on paper or in legacy software, and bringing them onto a modern system speeds up their work by orders of magnitude. Our customers are everyone from major pharma companies to small biotech startups to academic labs and we have the potential to really revolutionize the space. * Nerdy culture: Most of the customer-facing roles like sales and CX require biology background, so nearly everyone at Benchling is either an engineer or a scientist, which really lends itself to a nerdy and scientifically-minded company culture * Openness: Transparency and collaboration are highly valued. There are regular AMAs with the executive team and stopping by people's desks to ask questions is highly encouraged. * Company trajectory: We've been in hypergrowth for a few years now and it really looks like we are on a path to being a successful company in the long term. Inclusion and empathy: Everyone is generally kind, social, and empathetic, and there is a focus on making sure we are a comfortable work environment for people of all identities and backgrounds. We have affinity groups for BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and women that meet regularly and host company-wide outreach events.

Cons

* Can be high-pressure: We sometimes work to tight deadlines, and a downside of doing high-impact work is that it is actually important to get it right. I've never been required to work weekends or long hours but sometime I have to in order to hit deadlines. * Growing pains: We're in hypergrowth and there's basically always at least one process that has not caught up to our size and is causing difficulties. We notice and resolve these relatively quickly but by the time one is resolved another one has arisen just because we are growing so quickly. * Pandemic WFH is getting old, but that's true in all software jobs right now.

6. 5.0

High-Potential, Collaborative, Modern, Mission-Driven Software Company

Apr 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- modern tech stack and openness to trying new technologies - high degree of ownership over projects - culture of collaboration, company politics are limited to none - fast-growing company with potential to disrupt industry - mission-driven - people hold themselves to a high standard, but there is a culture of not pointing fingers/blaming

Cons

- growing pains (hiring velocity, resource allocation, scaling processes to fit company needs) - at times difficult to break into industry against in-house/piecemeal competitors

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company with Fantastic People. Extremely proud of the work that we do

Dec 8, 2020 - Team Lead - Professional Services in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Benchling culture is incredibly collaborative and mission driven. From day one it has been an exciting place to work, and there are always new challenges. Growth can happen fast at Benchling, there are a lot of interesting problems to solve and management appreciates hard work. The perks are incredible, from week long retreats to Hawaii each year, to happy hours and team building, Benchling takes care of its people, and it shows. The team loves coming to work, and working with people who want to be there, and who care about the product makes all the difference. The people are fantastic, I have met some of my best friends at Benchling, and not because they all look like me or think like me. Rather, I have met a group of diverse, compassionate, intelligent humans who I like to hang out with on weekends, and who I am lucky enough to get to work with during the week

Cons

Growth is challenging, having watched the company go from 50-300+ there are of course going to be hiccups along the way, but nothing remains broken for long, and the fast pace means incredible growth opportunities. WFH with covid is a drag

8. 5.0

Top Notch

Mar 23, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company sets a high bar and has some of the best people I've worked with. The work is interesting and mission is exciting

Cons

Typical growing pains of a fast-growing startup (lack of documentation/processes, teams generally feel overstretched) but nothing concerning

9. 5.0

Great interview -> great company

Apr 8, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

colleagues and fun science news

Cons

temporarily remote and growing pains

10. 5.0

Amazing Company, Amazing Culture, Amazing People

Nov 17, 2020 - Implementation Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benchling is an awesome place to work. It's really exciting to be part of a team where everyone is so deeply committed to the company's mission of improving life sciences R & D. The company values are actually practiced - they aren't just words. As a new employee I've been so encouraged meeting my new colleagues - it's an extremely supportive and understanding environment where leadership really cares about the opinions and input from all employees. The environment is incredibly collaborative, too. I'm genuinely looking forward to being a member of the Benchling team for a long time.

Cons

Because the company is growing so rapidly things change pretty rapidly, too, so that does require some flexibility.

Continue reading