Bentley Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Bentley Systems CEO Greg Bentley
Greg Bentley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management have problems with communication (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be improved (in 6 reviews)

1. "Director, Professional SErvices"

Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of art technology, challenging activities, strategic users, worldwide presence

Cons

low salary, low perspectives for growth, familiar company

Apr 24, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your views. Your feedback is very important and helpful in order to improve.

"Low growth, low pay, this ship is going down"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some decent products, good balance of work and life. Overall nice people and very good mid-level managers, good hardware and overall support.

Cons

Lack of sales and marketing strategy, process driven, sales people need approvals for everything, they are basically account admins, micromanagement to a nightmarish level, LOW PAY, sales comp plan rigged NOT to pay any commission. Worse possible combination of unattainable quotas and complex, ever changing rules (there are at least 24 combinations of product/service/subscription sales that are comp'ed differently) for quota retirement. In a nutshell, sales people won't be making any commission or very little. Some ethically challenged policies e.g. charging customers for an unavailable product.... yes, you got it right! the product maintenance cost was raised in January and charged accordingly even when the product was available only AFTER April. Benefits are reduced on a year over year basis. There is NO upwards mobility and there are NO real raises.

Advice to Management

Focus on Sales and Marketing, hire top notch marketing people, align Marketing with Sales, today they are completely disconnected. Fire your useless Chief Revenue Officer and hire someone who has a sound go to market strategy, understand enterprise sales, creates a rewarding compensation plan, hire direct reports with the required skills/experience not just friends. Selling anything to anybody is NOT an strategy. Invest in the winning products and divest from the myriad of losers in the portfolio.

Jul 3, 2017 – HR Generalist - US West

We appreciate the time you took to share your view. We are proud of our rich total rewards package. Our US Benefits at Bentley are benchmarked at the 85th percentile by an external third party, and... More

"Laid-back, low pay on avg, process nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere--managers will eat with underlings who aren't even their employees. In IT Ops, you definitely feel like you can approach anybody with a question or for insight on a project. Some of the most congenial folk you will ever run into in a company.

Low managerial oversight--this can be really nice for the types who have high work ethic and don't need somebody breathing down their shoulder to deliver great work.

Great people--some of the best of the best work for Bentley, and there are a decent number of them. If you want to learn more, there are plenty of sources happy to mentor you.

A great stepping stone company--they are at the top of their field, have lots of different products, and you can get great experience here to move forward in your career...but you will need to go elsewhere to do it.

Cons

Laid-back atmosphere--you get a lot of 'bare minimum' employees and everybody ultimately relies on the extremely knowledgable 'Brents' of every team (character from The Phoenix Project, a popular book at the company).

Low managerial oversight--unless something goes wrong, you will not stand out no matter how much work you do. There is a phenomenon of the 'incompetent manager' which often gets thrown around in casual conversation like it's a regular thing, which leads to the next point...

Low managerial accountability--Managers aren't held accountable for their decisions except in extreme cases. The 'blame football' gets passed around until everybody is so confused that nobody truly gets blamed and the same problems happen again down the line. If anybody gets blamed, it is the underlings, and in meetings where they aren't invited and can't defend themselves.

Low upward mobility--they hire out-of-house employees more often than promoting internally. On my team, it was impossible to become a 'Senior' level or get paid more, despite doing the same work. Every team's lead struggles to get money for new employees, and this was just recently made even more difficult by closing a loophole they were using to get interns.

Turnover is high--employees leave, but their spaces aren't usually filled. Workloads get cannibalized into existing jobs with no extra pay or recognition.

Low pay--in IT Ops, everybody is getting paid less than competitively. My salary rose by ~50% upon leaving. They get around this by having a 'bonus' you get every year, but it is contingent on the company's performance, and for the last 7 or so years employees have been watching their bonuses dwindle to the point where they only make a few hundred extra dollars each year.

Payroll often makes mistakes--if you are an hourly worker, you need to check your pay every single pay period to make sure you are getting what you deserve. Payroll won't entertain your problems until you get higher-level managers involved. Problems my team had in November didn't even begin to be addressed until February, and we had to push them every step of the way. They changed how worked holiday pay works in the middle of a work year and pretended it had always been that way.

Meetings for the sake of meetings--most meetings could have taken place in a simple email thread with maybe a paragraph.

Nepotism--you will see/hear a lot of the same surnames, including the eponymous one. Interns are relatives of employees more often than not.

Change--usually a good thing, but at this company they change processes and systems so often that nobody ever gets fully used to the old one before being spirited away to the new. It causes chaos on all levels.

Lastly, it is no secret that this company has been scoping out the prospects for an IPO. It will probably happen within the next year. There is every reason to believe that once this happens, they will care about their employees even less since they are beholden to shareholders. At that point, there will be an exodus from the company, as many employees are now stably just below their breaking points.

Advice to Management

Read The Phoenix Project again and really try implementing processes that work between departments. Hold your managers accountable for bad decision making abilities. Realize that sometimes simplicity is better than complexity. Pay your employees more or they will keep leaving and taking their knowledge with them.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your colleagues during your tenure at Bentley. We are striving to provide managers at all levels with training to ensure our... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Great to work from home.

Cons

Frequently reorganizes and cuts back on staff.

Jun 22, 2017 – HR Generalist - US West

We appreciate your feedback! At Bentley, we strive to provide an environment where colleagues feel they are valued, treated fairly, and respected. We hope you experienced this during your tenure at... More

"New pay structure is toxic"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

A lot of freedom and input on projects. Very little unwanted oversight. Good team that looks out for each other. Ability to work from home, flex hours at your discretion.

Cons

New pay/bonus structure is an absolute train wreck and is costing us good engineers (we've lost 5 on my team alone, while adding none). There are no increases to your base pay, initially. Instead, raises are done through quarterly bonuses, which are tied to the success of the overall company. So if the company doesn't beat it's quarterly goals, your raise is basically meaningless, regardless of your performance.

This system might be more tolerable if the company would consistently be above the thresh-hold that yields us significant payouts, but that has yet to happen.

I've achieved 100% of my goals in the 3 years since working here and cleared nearly $3,000 less pay this past year from my first year due to the implementation of this pay system.

Promotions have become undesirable as moving up the corporate ladder forces you to put a higher percentage of your salary into this bonus system, meaning you stand to lose a higher percentage of your pay if and when the company has a down quarter.

Lastly, there's very little transparency, and we all basically just wait for our quarterly email telling us what trivial amount we're getting paid out that quarter, getting met with disappointment every time.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the convoluted pay system. It's killing employee pay, morale, and trust in the company.

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that certain aspects of our total rewards plan are satisfying for you. We currently have a variable pay plan that is meant to motivate our... More

"Lack of leadership in recent years"

Current Employee - Sales in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technology! Awesome users (clients)!
    Use to be a great company to work for... maybe someday it will return to being a great company.

Cons

New organizational structure formed in 2016 has created duplication, confusion, lack of communication, silos, departments competing with other departments, etc... a train wreck waiting to happen with energy being consumed on internal processes vs. productive, client facing, revenue generating activities.

Company morale is at an all-time low.

Newly appointed executive "leadership" (Sales, HR, etc) that came about with the reorg have little to no leadership skills and treat employees like sheep.

Upper & middle management can no longer make decisions on behalf of what's best for their team, the company or clients. Promotions are given not on qualification but those who make better "yes" men.

Colleagues below the executive c-level are not empowered... including sales SVP’s and VP's from the "old regime". Executives who know our business, the clients and industries we serve (who once ran a successful business for Bentley) are no longer valued or empowered to make decisions related to sales, services, compensation, etc. Approval for anything is controlled at the highest level or by financial operations.

Good ol' boys club continues to be in play and HR plays the game with the boys.

We are losing our best colleagues to other companies... or they are "checked-out". True sales talent, who know the industry and have long standing relationships with accounts, are not wanted or valued by the new executive management team. Many have lost faith in the company.

Advice to Management

Current executive "leadership" team needs to put "service above self" to gain the trust, confidence and loyalty of those they lead and our users. Not sure if this is something that can be taught?... It's either part of their character or not...

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Our colleagues are important to us and we are sorry to hear that things haven't been going well for you with the reorganization lately. Please... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

family-oriented, great work life balance, quality software

Cons

lack of cohesive direction from executive leadership down thru management leads to a lot of confusion on what each group is supposed to do

Advice to Management

show more interest in low level employees

Jun 22, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time for provide feedback. We are glad you are enjoying the environment at Bentley. We are continuing to work on alignment, accountability, empowerment, and communication and... More

8. "Nice people. Excellent work place."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Madison, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Madison, AL

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management. My boss set expectations and gave excellent feedback

Cons

Large Organization sometimes made getting things done difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Apr 24, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks so much for the good feedback. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback, knowing that this helps us to improve in the future.

"Love colleagues and customers"

Current Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse Customer Base, Multi-cultural colleagues many opportunities to work across platforms with others who have different skill set. New employees will most likely be brought in with the new salary/bonus split and will not suffer the inability to see a raise in their future.

Cons

Low Pay, confusing bonus structure (can not depend on receiving any bonuses, etc.), new pay structure that required some colleagues to take a cut in base salary with no guarantee that bonuses would be awarded), not much opportunity for promotion, boy's club mentality, some level of micromanagement for virtual employees, difficult colleagues with more than 20 years service are allowed to do whatever they want without any repercussions (even if it is degrading to other colleagues).

Jun 23, 2017 – HR Operations Partner, US

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Feedback lets us know what pain points exist and shows us where we can focus our attention to make improvements. Recently we’ve rolled out manager... More

10. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bentley Systems is a very good company to work for. The work environment is positive and all colleagues are friendly and helpful. The company itself really innovative and so it is a great place where you can learn new technologies.

Cons

Sometime you have to help yourself to figure out how to do things.

Advice to Management

A more comprehensive training sessions about the global vision of the company's products and goals could be helpful.