KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 17 of over 19 reviews

2.9
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

High risk and high reward

Sep 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bloomscape the last few months has felt almost like a new company - in a good way! While it was challenging to get to this point, the recent changes to leadership have brought immediate process improvements, transparency, and direction that were needed. You can tell there is an active effort to allow for call-outs, concerns, questions, and new ideas. The communication from top to bottom is now more seamless thanks to efforts across the leadership team. Since we are still a small company you have the opportunity to play a part in each team and really know the business and the decisions behind current/new projects. Just like any start up/small company you have the opportunity to grow in your current role, learn new skills, and move across teams. Bloomscape has always had a flexible work environment, PTO, and often sends small surprises just for fun.

Cons

- WFH is not for everyone and can make "connection" more difficult. - Ownership for tasks has been in-flux after the changes in July so some tasks feel forgotten

1 person found this review helpful

Director of People Operations

Thanks for the feedback! We’re so happy you’re enjoying your time here at Bloomscape and are excited about the future.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A great company on paper but the actions of senior leadership does not match their lip service.

Nov 10, 2021 - Purchasing Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Discount on plants - Tons of horticultural insight, I personally learned a TON about plants and their behavior - Flexible working options (WFH, in office, etc.) - Unlimited PTO (although it was very challenging to take time off in my role) - A weekly 4 hour block of no meetings - Personally had two very strong & unique managers in my tenure that were invested in my growth

Cons

- Poor direction, the different departments at Bloomscape do not have a good sense of direction of what they own. The structural and strategic ownership is lacking & and it was EXTREMELY difficult to get an answer from anyone above the specialist level. - Might be more role specific, but there is an expectation that you will use your own personal device(s) for work. I was expected to use my personal laptop for the first few weeks of onboarding and continue to use my personal phone to call clients, coordinate transportation, serve as a point of contact for deliveries, etc.; receiving no compensation/stipend for this. I inquired about this twice and was told there was no policy in place for a phone or stipend. - Poor financial visibility for the buyer/vendors consistently paid late - there were fall outs due to no standard operating procedure on the purchasing & finance side but it seemed very common in the last few months for vendors to just be paid late with little to no explanation. - Poor work culture due to lack of drive/care: I don't expect a newer company to be established in this area, but while there is a cultural committee in place to work on this, Bloomscape is unable to establish a healthy work culture due to the sheer lack of respect that some employees exhibit to fellow co-workers and stakeholders. There was a culture of overwork and silencing those who spoke against negative aspects of the company culture, which led to an environment of intimidation and fear. - Cross-functional projects between different teams are a nightmare. It seemed like senior leadership was unable to make a decision and projects were ping-ponged between teams with little to no direction. I don't know if it is an ego or personality issue or a sheer lack of understanding, but it should not take months to answer yes/no questions in relation to simple questions. - I wasn't paid for my last week of work initially and had to reach out so see what the issue was. Probably was a rare instance but was a prime example of the lack of respect that the company had for anyone in the specialist role.

6 people found this review helpful

Director of People Operations

Thank you for the feedback. As you've mentioned, in the last few months we’ve made a lot of changes at Bloomscape including a new org structure and leadership team members. We now have a seasoned Operations leader that has been working hands-on with our Director of People, focusing on employee experience and engagement. We have launched a new set of values and a more transparent bi-weekly townhall. We still have a lot more to do and will continue to work hard to make Bloomscape a great place to work for everyone.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great company that's open to change

Aug 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible environment, leaders are open to remote or in-person work (mostly a mix of both when appropriate) - New leadership has a very transparent and open style, bi-weekly townhalls have been informative and the team has really enjoyed them - A focus on getting the business stable after a hectic H1 has been refreshing and the business has been making great strides since the layoffs and changes in July

Cons

- Project management is lacking especially when working cross-functionally - With so many remote workers and people working in different places, mixed with our core functions being located in Grand Rapids, oftentimes communication is missed or not shared at all

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Bloomscape 2.0

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company definitely seems to be moving in the right direction thanks to new leadership. It almost feels like a brand new business. There have been a new level of transparency and there seems to be an effort to improve employee satisfaction - which is all anyone has ever wanted. You are exposed to different areas of the business when working here and you can really learn a lot if you're open to it. Also, the employees are so smart and willing to get their hands dirty.

Cons

They definitely have a long way to go - the other reviews are correct and previous leadership did a damper on the business.

5. 2.0

Hopefully Bloomscape 2.0 is better

Oct 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free plants, unlimited PTO, great colleagues. Most of the employees are emotionally intelligent, funny, and very talented people, many of whom I feel were taken advantage of.

Cons

As other reviewers have mentioned, about 1/3 of the company was laid off in July, only to find out that the company had been mismanaged to the point that C suite members had to step down, among other things. Employee opinions were not listened to, and employee warnings were not heeded about the way we were treating budgets, product launches, and the like. Those not in a management position were asked to make up for the mistakes of those in positions of power, given last minute, impossible workloads, or asks without explanation, and expected to perform. Bloomscape was careful to align itself with sustainable causes without having to give too much info about its own sustainable practices. Diversity is another issue. Being a Detroit-based company, instead of turning to the incredible talent pool within the city itself, most new positions were given to people outside of Detroit, and people in lower-tier positions are asked to move to Detroit, while higher-ranking people are not asked, or not expected to. Diversity is a major issue within the team, and POC on the team are asked to carry the weight of how to speak to issues like BLM and racism on behalf of the founder, and other higher-ranking employees. Projects were last-minute, scattered, and random. It always felt like there was no forethought, as we were often asked to launch new items with no photography, and sometimes even without product. When there were product shortcomings, management was hesitant to give info to the customers.

3 people found this review helpful

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sinking ship

Aug 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people... but everyone was laid off or leaving soon.

Cons

Bloomscape had the funding it needed to succeed, but the lack of vision & strong leadership is ultimately running them into the ground. The CEO is an inexperienced and egotistical founder. The leadership team is scared of him… but isn’t afraid to overwork their team to appease his demands. This meant a consistent flow of meaningless projects and a burnt out team. To top it off, leadership not only shunned those who gave feedback, but refused to be transparent with their team. Working inside of this organization was a nightmare. I would not recommend it to anyone.

10 people found this review helpful

Director of People Operations

Thanks for the feedback! In the last two months we’ve made a lot of changes at Bloomscape including a new org structure and leadership team members. We now have a seasoned Operations leader and have implemented bi-weekly company-wide townhalls to share out important business information in a transparent way while including open Q&A and space for feedback. We still have a lot more to do and will continue to work hard to make Bloomscape a great place to work for everyone.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great teammates, terrible leadership & zero transparency

Sep 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Staff are great -Discounted plants -Beautiful HQ -Remote flexibility -Good compensation

Cons

-Terrible leadership, especially at the People level -Poor work life balance -Benefits are lacking -Negative culture and no efforts towards DEI -Zero transparency about the current state of the business -Not paying vendors

1 person found this review helpful

Director of People Operations

Thanks for the feedback! In the last two months we’ve made a lot of changes at Bloomscape including a new org structure and leadership team members. We now have a seasoned Operations leader that has been working hands-on with our Director of People, focusing on employee experience and engagement. We have launched a new set of values and a more transparent bi-weekly townhall. We still have a lot more to do and will continue to work hard to make Bloomscape a great place to work for everyone.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good coworkers, terrible leadership

Sep 10, 2021 - Senior Producer in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice coworkers, cool headquarters, Detroit based

Cons

Poor leadership, not transparent about state of Company,

Director of People Operations

Thanks for the feedback! In the last two months we’ve made a lot of changes at Bloomscape including a new org structure and leadership team members. We still have a lot more to do and will continue to work hard to make Bloomscape a great place to work for everyone.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A company so secretive, you won't realize it is failing until it is too late.

Jul 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

My immediate team members and coworkers were some of the most talented, passionate people I had ever worked with.

Cons

This company does not care about its employees - particularly those who are not in leadership positions. Sure, the benefits sound great and unlimited PTO feels liberating, but prepare for management to ask about the optics of your time off, or ask if you're really sure if you need to take the time. Employee engagement surveys are conducted, but results are never shared. Extremely knowledgeable, experienced, lower-tier employees share insights, customer knowledge, and opinions on project directions just to be ignored. The opinions of under-qualified leadership are taken as fact, especially if they match those of the founder. Consumer insights are gathered and researched only to be ignored by leadership. This company works on initiatives that the founder deems promising - not what its customers actually want. Projects are spur-of-the-moment and lack direction. Not in the scrappy startup way, but in the disorganized, throw-things-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks kind of way. Over, and over again. There are no project managers at this company, so expect to be unclear on project expectations and to juggle two or three rush projects on top of your day-to-day duties. When teammates inevitably leave the company, be ready to take on their responsibilities with no additional compensation. If you voice this to a manager, you will be seen as unwilling and not a team player. This company calls itself sustainable, however ideas and suggestions for partnerships or community engagement from employees are ignored by the founder, only to go in directions that he wants to. The company also prides itself in being Detroit-based, however it does not engage with the local community at all. Local, Detroit customers and influencers share their distaste with the company's evolution and pricing, but leadership ignores them. Like another review said, diversity seems a priority, until you realize that the company does not hire locally and instead opts for filling higher-level roles with New York based employees that are able to work remotely. Ultimately, this company does not acknowledge its failures. I would have felt so much better if the company recognized its shortcomings, shared them with the team and worked on improving them. Instead, failures were hidden from us until it was too late, and out of left field, about a quarter of the team was let go.

6 people found this review helpful

10. 1.0

Disorganized and unprofessional

Jul 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really none that outweigh the cons.

Cons

One of the perks of working at a startup is supposed to be the potential for opportunity and growth in your career. But instead of promoting from within, Bloomscape often looks for outside hires instead. Longevity at the company is not seen as a strength, and instead employees are seen as disposable as soon as they start to experience burnout. There is no concern to address burnout. You learn quickly that you have to walk on eggshells around the Founder. It appears to be his way or the highway. He has been stubborn in pursuing his own ideas, even when they are contrary to the data provided by experts on the team. There is no co-founder to balance him out. It seems like the executive leadership team is afraid to stand up to him. He fails to provide a unifying vision or to inspire the company toward any common goal. The executive leadership team, for the most part, is impossible to connect to on a human level. The pressure is on them from the top to meet impossible metrics, and it feels like that pressure is passed on to their reports in a pretty uncaring way, without regard for their humanity. It seems as though leadership does not have time, or honestly the skills to know how, to invest in their direct reports at all. There is a disconnect between the leadership team and direct reports, with leaders having little real idea of how much work and what type of work their direct reports are doing to keep the company running. Bloomscape cares about “sustainability” only enough to keep on trend with what consumers want to see. It is not a core value of the business, and there is so much unnecessary waste created at each level of the supply chain. There are no project managers at the company, which makes projects (particularly cross-team projects) a train wreck. There is a lot of doubling up on work and miscommunication that happens unnecessarily because of this, which leaves people feeling like they’re wasting their time. HR is dismissive of concerns in a pretty unprofessional way. When you raise a concern, they get defensive and turn it back on you like it is your problem. They do not collect regular feedback from employees. What little feedback they do collect, they do not share out transparently with the company. Bloomscape says they care about diversity because there are so many women on the team. But the team is overwhelmingly white, and there has been no clear recruiting strategy put forward to address the lack of racial diversity. They talk a big game about being proud to be “in Detroit,” with a majority Black population, but do not make a substantial effort to recruit Detroit talent.

5 people found this review helpful

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews

Bloomscape Reviews FAQs

42% of Bloomscape employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bloomscape 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.9 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bloomscape to be culture, career development, coworkers and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, benefits, senior leadership.