Boat-N-RV Supercenter Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Don Littlefield

1. "Tough but rewarding company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you put in the work and and follow the sales process then you will make a lot of money.

Cons

Tough business to be in as a whole. The retail world is tough no matter where you go. It's how you handle it.

Advice to Management

Training is key so if you are going to be successful then your sales team has to be successful.

"Work Anywhere Else!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgeland, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgeland, SC

I worked at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time

Pros

It is a job, honestly that is all that was good

Cons

Management was rude/nasty to employees. This is like working in a car dealership in the 80s. High pressure sales, customers sign papers before finance is approved, and then sent on their way. Customers cannot back out/change their mind, customers are sued if they try.

Advice to Management

Update your technique, this is 2017, not 1980.

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Ridgeland, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Ridgeland, SC

I worked at Boat-N-RV Supercenter (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has the potential to be the best RV dealership in the country. The facility is magnificent and the inventory is adequate. Has some talented sales people on staff, for now.

Cons

Management staff is one of the most unorganized and most unqualified staffs I have ever seen.

The fight doesn't begin with management until you get a customer.

Advice to Management

Put real RV management in place and let them have the authority to make you a fortune. Senior management is actually great but the total belief in the full "system" and giving on site management no authority to make it work is the problem.

"Hard workers only need apply"

Former Employee - Sales in Rockwood, TN
    Former Employee - Sales in Rockwood, TN

Pros

Decent wages, good commission for sales people. There's a sense of family with everyone there, I never felt like I was out of place. Lots of opportunities to make money if you know what you're doing. The products are awesome and make it easy to talk to customers about them.

Cons

For sales, there are some long hours but if you're making money, why complain? I see a lot of people don't like the owner or some of his managers, but even though I got my share of chewing outs, I knew it was because I was underperforming. If you don't work hard, it's easy to tell and they'll cut you quickly. It's not a place for people who like more relaxed jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Maybe refer to those on the lower rung, too, for idea son making more sales.

"Scary And Intimidating Place To Work..Steer Clear!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Coxsackie, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Coxsackie, NY

I have been working at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros here, Don Littlefield is pure insanity. Constant fear of losing my job, threats, violent outbreaks, stress is immense. Don't come here, it's just insanity!

Cons

He hires ex cons for a tax break from the state, pay is rediculous if not criminal, constantly being reduced or made so complicated you can't figure out how your being paid. Employees are either so new they don't know what's going on and can't help customers well and have little to no training, the longer term employees are like beaten dogs. Just awful!!

Advice to Management

Sell it all to someone who cares or close the doors.

"Don't waste your time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockwood, TN

I worked at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck if that is all you are looking for.

Cons

My first day on the job, my manager proceeded to start bashing one of my fellow employees when he walked out of the room, and she did it repeatedly and bashed at least 50% of the people she encountered in our day to day business, whether fellow members of our department or people in other departments, or people in outsource companies we worked with. I even heard them say in reference to one of these outsource people, "she should just tell us now that she can't do the job, so we can just fire her."

The company wont allow people to leave reviews on the website because "all we get is bad reviews" 95% of the reviews given for Boat N RV are fabricated, and at the admission of my own supervisor, a lot of what they do there to market the company is illegal. And they would rather go the illegal, unethical cheap and easy route to drum up business than to actually produce and market anything quality. In addition there was only a very select group of advertising venues available to choose from because the CEO either didnt pay the bills (he had unpaid bills with them as old as 1 1/2 years) or he just didn't like them.

If that is not enough, expectations are either not expressed clearly or are constantly changing, leaving you to figure it out on your own. And then when you do your job based on your best guess, then its wrong, and you get to do it over and over again until you finally figure out what it is they want. But by then it is too late, because you did it too slow, and now in their eyes you are incompetent and can't be trusted to complete the work according to specifications.

While I was there just over a three month period, I watched the GM quit and two prospective GM's come in to take his place and stay 1 day at best, then never come back. In short and at best, it is the most unprofessional, poorly run place I have ever worked at. At worst it is one of the most unhealthy and toxic environments I have ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Hire management who are better equipped to manage people. Your employees are only going to invest in your company to the level you are willing to invest in their success.

"Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Americus, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Americus, GA

I worked at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun job if you like recreational toys, always nice to see someone making a dream come true and the employees are nice

Cons

The owner is bipolar and a lunatic, he'll make sure you end up in a black hole of never getting a commission check for your hard work.... Don't expect to get any praise for your dedication to his business. The hours are inhumane so don't expect much time with your family.

Advice to Management

New owner + New name= loyal staff and a good reputation for business

"Great Opportunity in a fun atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ridgeland, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ridgeland, SC

I have been working at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years and I love it! There is plenty of opportunity to excel. With 6 stores of Boat and RV inventory, there is something for every customer that walks in the door. I get to help people fulfill dreams and make memories. Boat N RV is the most fun job I've ever had.
    I don't have a bachelors degree and I earn more than most that do. As a commissioned saleperson, there is opportunity to make a 6 figure income. It takes dedication, motivation, and invested time. Because Boat N RV has a wide array of toys, selling season never ends.
    I look forward to a long career with Boat N RV.

Cons

This is a competitive sales job, like most dealerships. But competition is fun if you are winning.
    Health benefits could be better, but if it's enough for Obama, it's enough for me.

Advice to Management

Hire people you can rely on. And reward those that do their jobs well.

"Great Opportunity and Fun work place"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Boat-N-RV Supercenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to learn and grow, you also have the opportunity to help someone else's dreams come true to help them build memories, this is a fun job, In my case being a women in this business is not easy and I have had the opportunity to advance, I love the process we follow, it is a proven process and insures your success and the customers satisfaction, it allows you to best help your customer and insure that all their needs are meant., the owner is a fantastic trainer and will teach you anything your are willing to learn, he is invested in your success....

Cons

need more team work, less ego's , women should be taken more seriously and more promotions accessible to them, Less finger pointing more accepting of personal responsibility, I think that probably goes along with any large corporation.

Advice to Management

encourage more team work, encourage a more positive environment, to many chiefs not enough Indians

"a Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockwood, TN

Pros

I work in Rockwood, TN. My department is a "corporate" department. We have a lot of opportunities to be creative and learn new things.
    Some of the people in the company are amazing to work with, including the general manager who offers great guidance and the restaurant manager who feeds us well and is just wonderful at her job.
    I have also been lucky to work with funny, kind, and creative people in my department. I learn something new every day.

Cons

It is a little far from Knoxville, where I live, but at least the drive up the mountain is nice.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job.