Bridge Back To Life Center Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Primary Therapist"

I have been working at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent environment, salary is good, staff is very friendly and helpful with training new employees. Most clients are dedicated in maintaining sobriety and is open to learn new skills in order to prevent a relapse. Therapist and Clients develop a relationship that helps the client to express their feelings and to ask questions , if they need. Crisis Intervention for Clients who are relapsing or have any other situations that they need to discuss to develop their strategies on how to handle their life issues.

Cons

Need more time to accomplish all the Therapist's responsibilities with the Client on a daily basis. Would like to have more time to outreach the Client when they are missing a session each day or next day.

Advice to Management

Employees that work overtime, even if not ordered, in order to get everything completed that must be done should be paid overtime.

"Awful Place"

Former Employee - CASAC in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CASAC in New York, NY

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One can learn and grow from adversity

Cons

Toxic and morale sucking environment

Advice to Management

It would be a waste of time.

"Toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some clients wanted to change, which was amazing.

Cons

The administrative staff, HR, and upper management are mostly all unprofessional, spiteful, and treat their staff with disrespect. They hardly give out raises unless you are one of their favorites, which you become by being an inside scoop on what's happening within the facility. The upper management staff has a bad attitude and treats their inferiors with disregard with trickles down the chain. Within the facilities, there is a pecking order which is strictly followed but denied when discussed or questioned. And I saw on multiple occasions, the management would argue and bicker with one another or with their inferiors and the person would be treated with hostility or given the silent treatment, as if it was high school all over again. I realized towards the end of my time there that the job was more of a popularity contest than what it is promoted to be, which is a substance abuse program. Many times I saw clients discharged without being warned, and I saw staff speak very negatively about the clients with disgust. It was possibly the worst place I have worked for, which says a lot since I have worked for multiple programs with the same type of mentality.

Advice to Management

They could start with not threatening or using scare tactics with their staff and actually work on the clients rather than the money coming in.

4. "great place to work"

Current Employee - LMHC in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - LMHC in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support, friendly co-workers, flexible work hours, good location, positive atmosphere. Bridge Back to Life is a great organization to work for. The support staff is very attentive and they are very helpful with appointments. The management is supportive and understands to needs to clinicians and counselor’s wellness. Once, I got a wellness counseling session because I was feeling overwhelmed. I felt heard and supported throughout and I never had a workplace which understood the importance of counselor’s wellness before Bridge Back to Life. When you have that support, your work gets easier and the pressure to perform feels more manageable and easier to handle. My hard work was noticed and I got a raise without asking. This field is not easy but the support you get form the organization reminds you the reason you chose the field and the importance of the job you do.

Cons

I have none to report.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Bridge to no connection"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some good people, clients and staff.

Cons

I worked for this drug treatment facility for a little over a year. My role was support staff. There were five of us. What a disaster. As support staff you are in a unique position to view the scope of the company. You play a part from intake to discharge. You listen to client complaints along with therapist complaints. You receive information from administration, insurance companies, clients’, clients’ parents, heck the janitor has a say at times.
    The disorganization within this company is astounding. I am confused as to why they have not been shut down, fined or why people do not seek help elsewhere.
    First, the location is in a basement. A Basement. Low-lit, No outside light, No fresh air, Nothing therapeutic about this environment. The irony, we are dealing with a population of individuals who are at their lowest and we treat them in a basement. The cleaning is below standard. Someone comes in the morning brushes a wet mop around and disappears. Clients are taken into boxed sized offices barely decorated, more like prison cells.
    Second, the staff is over worked. The counselors and clinicians are compounded with clients. Each with a case load of twenty to twenty-five clients. These clients attend individual sessions and group therapy. The clinicians are tired. It shows on their faces, they are unable to provide the proper care for the clients regarding their drug addictions and mental health concerns. It’s impossible, between the phone calls, paperwork, counseling and groups. Clinicians walk out huffing, saying things like, “I feel like I’m baby-sitting” or “If she doesn’t want to be here, she should just stop coming” or “If they weren’t mandated, they wouldn’t be here, so what’s the point.” Then on the flip side you have clients leaving the building saying, “That was a waste of time” or “He/She doesn’t even care” or “Give me my Suboxone, let me go home” or my favorite, “They only want to bill my insurance, they don’t care about me.” The environment is far from conducive to healing.
    Third, the pay is embarrassing. I was being paid twelve dollars an hour to do the work of two people sometimes three, for sure. The more you gave the more they asked for and there was no limit to their requests. We answered phones (One the first ring), we scheduled intakes taking demographic information on the phone, fifteen to twenty minute process on the phone, while the other phone is ringing, clients are walking in and clinicians are asking for a fax to be sent. We called insurance companies to verify eligibility. I am not a certified biller. I, nor my colleagues held a certification in medical billing but here we are calling insurance companies, getting codes and inputting them into a billing system, incorrectly! We were costing some clients hundreds of dollars in avoidable co-pays and deductibles.
    Now we have to schedule them, clients’ must be seen within twenty-four to forty-eight hours. I for one believe that rule is exceptional. It’s awesome for the client. You have someone who is in need of immediate assistance and the facility is willing to provide it. Awesome! But you forget. There is no intake worker and interns are not always available. There isn’t a person who is designated to conduct intakes and when there is, they do not last long. They burn out, they quit. They ask to run groups or have a caseload because they hire counselors to do this job. There is no counseling during intake. So we’re scheduling appointments between twenty-four and forty-eight hours with clinicians who are juggling caseloads of individual sessions and group sessions. So where are we finding the space? They sacrifice lunch hours, their scheduled administration time to process time-sensitive paperwork. They are wearing frustration on their faces, in the tone of their voices and you submit on to them an intake with someone battling drugs, alcohol addictions and mental health issues and expect for the interaction to be successful. Fail.
    We were told to take urines. I am not a counselor. I am not certified. We were never properly trained on how to take urines but we were sent in the bathroom with cups and gloves, to watch women squat over dirty toilet bowls to collect urine in a cup. This happened several times a day, every day. Can you imagine the un-sanitary conditions? We didn’t know what to look for. We were told, “Look for anything strange or out of place” “You have to really look”. I for one was not going to “look”, knowing this was beyond the scope of my job description or ability. I was not the only one who felt this way. The storage of the urine wasn’t storage at all. Urine was left in a metal storage box on the floor, in the receptionist area, waiting for pick up in the evening. No one questioned this, either they didn’t know or no one cared or everyone needed a job.
    And that’s what it becomes, a job. People working robotically following rules that do not make sense afraid to question authority in fear of losing their jobs. No one speaking up, administration comes in to the office and the place goes silent or it’s just whispers, we are told to put on our, “Sunday Best” and run around like chickens with our heads cut off to please them. And those who did speak up and fight for their clients’ were labeled trouble makers.
    I’m guilty, just like them. I had babies to feed and a home to take care of but I always said, upon my exit I would have to say something. I would have to say something for the individuals who couldn’t or at least add voice to the situation from my perspective. It’s my responsibility to write this.
    And to think, we were known to be one of the better-run facilities. There is a problem.

Advice to Management

Have an open forum with your employees. Let them speak without intimidation. Speak to your clients. Don't be afraid of change.

6. "Disconnected Bridge"

Former Employee - Support
    Former Employee - Support

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some awesome individuals. The staff works really hard. I just wish it was enough. Let's get to the truth!

Cons

Now we have to schedule them, clients’ must be seen within twenty-four to forty-eight hours. I for one believe that rule is exceptional. It’s awesome for the client. You have someone who is in need of immediate assistance and the facility is willing to provide it. Awesome! But you forget. There is no intake worker and interns are not always available. There isn’t a person who is designated to conduct intakes and when there is, they do not last long. They burn out, they quit. They ask to run groups or have a caseload because they hire counselors to do this job. So we’re scheduling appointments between twenty-four and forty-eight hours with clinicians who are juggling caseloads of individual sessions and group sessions. They are wearing frustration on their faces, in the tone of their voices and you submit on to them an intake with someone battling drugs, alcohol addictions and mental health issues and expect for the interaction to be successful. Fail.

Advice to Management

Have a open forum for your employees, allow them to speak without intimidation. Don't be afraid to change.

7. "GET OUT!!"

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people in my office (save for a few) were all very kind and hard working people.

Cons

The upper managment and HR is made up of corrupt and incompitant people. They dont do things for the good of the clients or their staff. The office is falling apart and smells of urine and mildew and its embarassing to me for people to have to wait in the waiting room. Working here was incredibly depressing and degrading.

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees. Pay them for the overtime that they put in for you. Act like you appreciate when your staff bend over backwords for you. Your staff are the most anxious, overly worked and utterly stressed people I've ever been around.

8. "Don't Do It"

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time

Pros

They throw a ton of work at you, so you gain experience

Cons

Everyone is miserable. Management has little regard for employees or clients. You are guaranteed to work overtime without being compensated for it.

Advice to Management

Be a little nicer to employees so that they stay for more than a few months

9. "Good Work Environment"

Current Employee - Therapist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Therapist in New York, NY

Pros

The employees are professional and supportive. Management has an open door policy which is always good. The work load is similar to other outpatient treatment programs but having support/clerical staff helps a lot to getting the patient in and out. I see improvements often and I appreciate that. I was surprised to see the negative comments on here.

Cons

I don't have complains at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep improving and doing good work.

"Clinican"

Former Employee - Clinician in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Clinician in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Bridge Back To Life Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly do not believe there are any

Cons

Administration has zero regard for the welfare of patients. They were unethical, unprofessional and led from a fear based approach. If you care about the person who needs support and treatment please look else where

Advice to Management

Shut down