Brown-Forman Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Brown-Forman Chairman, President and CEO Paul C. Varga
Paul C. Varga

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance Organized efficient (in 10 reviews)

• I was compensated very well and surrounded with great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance sometimes askew (in 7 reviews)

• B-F has a reputation for being a conservative company when it comes to new things and it is well-earned (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful place to work in Louisville"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BF has a great culture. You hear that from everyone that works here, and I'll admit, it creeped me out for the first few months because you keep thinking, "Is everyone this nice and compassionate?" The answer is a resounding "YES!" I feel more connected to the community and love all of the volunteer opportunities we are presented here. Participating in the PRIDE festival and having such a large presence is something I would have never dreamed that an employer would promote. It's a great feeling to be supported no matter who you are and where you came from. Pay seems to be very fair compared to other places. Most people here work to live and not the other way around. Relationship building is a huge part of Brown Forman. I've met people and learned about all aspects of business and departments that I may never directly work with. Seeing what other groups are doing is all about getting you out of your bubble and learning as much as you want about the business here. I work in Global Production and could easily keep to myself but making connections throughout the organization has really helped me see a bigger picture and objectives of Brown Forman.

Cons

I want to preface the cons with saying that even the worst day at Brown Forman are 10x better than most people's every day job. Cons exist everywhere and there is always room for improvement in any organization.
    Cons:
    -grey areas in career paths, not a clear structure
    -hard to get buy-in from middle managment for non-direct business tasks (ie particpating in all the extracurricular/ value added programs BF offers to employees)
    -always striving to do more work with less headcount

"Fantastic company culture"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time

Pros

Employees feel valued and empowered, a safe working environment being yourself. It is a family like culture and very relationship driven.

Cons

The organization is lean so opportunities may not happen as quick as some would like.

3. "Brown Forman Employee"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brown Forman is committed to sustaining their businesses.

Cons

Fast growth although not a con in itself creates a need to develop leaders at a very fast pace.

4. "Wonderful place to work!"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brown-Forman cares about their employees - in some cases to a fault (where it can take forever to remove a bad apple). The benefits are great and most people love it so much that the overall workforce is highly tenured. It is a place where you'd want to retire from! Because turnover is low, sometimes opportunities can take longer to present themselves. Brown-Forman employees really have each other's backs. The leadership team is best in class and you can tell by the way the plans are written that they do want the company to continue for many, many years. Not many companies have 25 year plans and beyond! Diversity and Inclusion is also highly important to Brown-Forman, and through employee resource groups, employees have the opportunities to meet and work with new people as well as gain new experience with other areas of the company (sometimes leading to promotions). Brown-Forman is a very well run and well planned company.

Cons

At times, our culture can be viewed as "slow" or "too nice." Sometimes it is hard to get things accomplished due to red tape - some of that comes from the industry and some of that comes from the buy-in that is needed to be obtained before proceeding. Overall, I feel as if I can make decisions fairly easily. There are also pockets of the "frozen middle" throughout middle management, though I would say that Brown-Forman does a superior job with training managers of people.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on management training and D&I initiatives, those are very important to ensure that we continue to build an inclusive workforce in a male dominated industry - throughout all areas of the company.

5. "BF"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time

Pros

The products and the people

Cons

Strong emphasis on lean headcount

6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time

Pros

Collaborative culture and great brands. It is inspiring to be surrounded by people who generally love their job.

Cons

Low turnover and relatively flat organization both contribute to a lack of advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the organization took a more active role in succession planning and helping employees map potential career paths.

"Slip sliding away..."

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch. Bonuses cut this year - for LAST year's activity. WHAT?! With that, upper management is sending the message that even though we hit our goals (for things like SAFETY), it doesn't matter to them.

Advice to Management

Going forward, should we just forget about things like safety? Cutting our bonus pay and salary increases tells us that you don't really care how we perform. How can this be?

"the real deal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great brands and a sense of pride and history. Nice offices, good food, friendly people, and an ethical culture. I moved to take a job here not knowing anyone and am glad I did. We work hard, but generally have the resources we need.

They pay well and have amazing benefits.

Cons

It can be a perfectionist culture at times. Less willing to experiment and try/fail than other places I have worked.

Because of the flat org structure, promotions can happen slowly here and there is stiff competition for new opportunities.

Advice to Management

Become more open to a culture of experimentation and innovation. This might mean doing things faster, being open to learning from failure, and becoming more forgiving of mistakes.

9. "Analyst"

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time

Pros

This place is a very good place.

Cons

I have no real comment.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Fantastic company with great culture and a long-term perspective."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Brown-Forman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Familial culture. Long-term growth and perspective. Higher than industry average compensation. Global opportunities for work. Very long average tenure of work (also a con).

Cons

HQ not in major global city. Lack of opportunities for quick advancement at lower levels. Relatively few entry-level opportunities. Very risk-averse culture and strategy. Very long average tenure of work (also a pro).

Advice to Management

The culture is welcoming, and truly makes you feel like part of a family. It is a pleasure to work at B-F. Only suggestion for management would be to recognize that the new generation of employees are looking to advance more quickly than in the past, and are averse to "waiting their turn." Promote on ability, not seniority.