Burrell Behavioral Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2018

Burrell Behavioral Health President and CEO CJ Davis
CJ Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has a new CEO who is making changes which seem to be positive" (in 9 reviews)

• "The new administration has made it their goal to make this company "the best place to work and the" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no appreciation and no raises" (in 8 reviews)

• "Upper management is all talk and sprinkling glitter on everything" (in 7 reviews)

1. "pay"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

company cares about its people

Cons

lower pay than other companies

2. "A Mess"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I loved MY team, sort of.
    -They emphasize taking midday breaks, unlike other companies I've worked for.
    -I got promoted rather quickly within the company

Cons

-Nearly everything else.
    -They pay the lowest amount compared to any other mental healthcare provider in the area.
    -The new CEO is an idiot. Higher ups are willfully ignorant to what caseworkers actually want and are capable of. They definitely encouraged taking advantage of booking appointments and exploiting Medicaid's number system. They would offer a cash bonus to people who somehow made the impossible appointment numbers.
    -The direct casework supervision on *not* my team was frequently awful. I know a lot of caseworkers and social workers are unstable, just how the world works. But good god, at one of the neighboring offices there was a whole dramatic thing about how someone reported something incorrectly (a supervisor was upset that one of her team members didn't try talking to her first before going to HR, and honestly with that reaction, I would absolutely just go to HR).

-Oh hey, by the way. HR in Columbia (or maybe even Central) is just one person, I think. So that's always good. I was having a lot of problems with my health insurance and it took literally 4 months for that to get ironed out.

Advice to Management

Please fix everything.

"Think hard about being a case manager here"

Former Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health (More than a year)

Pros

Some what freedom on scheduling your day, limited supervisor contact, recent pay increases and benefits.

Cons

Upper management disconnected from employees that are making money for the company, increased stress, continued high turnover, high turnover in management, unrealistic client contacts, pay increases still not high enough for the duties CSS' perform.

Advice to Management

Stop being so disconnected to your lower employees (how make the money for the company) and correct the problem with turnover even if it means readjusting client care. High turn over isn't good for anyone involved.

"Still not the best place to work or receive care"

Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-worker support, helping others, pays the bills, apparently you can walk right in without a degree of any kind and be making the exact same amount as the people with degrees who have been there for years

Cons

Low wages for the amount of work you do, drive your own vehicle with minimum mileage reimbursement, dishonest administration, shady management, unrealistic productivity and documentation standards, no room for advancement, hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

There is a reason turnover is so high. Client care is important, but so is the care of your employees. If you continue to treat us like we don't matter, you will continue to see us walk out the door.

The recent raise was nice, but when you have been there for years and you see the new person getting that same raise (some of whom do not even have a college degree), its very discouraging and maddening.

You aren't giving us any reason to want to stay. Especially when Compass Health is starting out at 17.00 per hour.

If you truly want this to be the best place to work and receive care, you need to start making changes real fast.

"Not a good place to grow"

Current Employee - Psychologist
    Current Employee - Psychologist

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and they are giving raises to clinicians

Cons

While there is better attitude towards admin now, the morale is so low. Decisions are made without consulting the people involved. They seem to be spending a LOT of money on a positive facade- but the truth is we all still feel like a factory worker. Leadership team wears fancy suits and flashy smiles but no individual attention whatsoever. Not a place for an eager psychologist to grow.

Also, beware the ratings on Glass Door. They were offering $5 Amazon gift cards at one point for people to write reviews.

Advice to Management

Focus more on clients and employees, not a glittery facade. Quit promoting your friends into fancy positions.

6. "Good experience"

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Great experience, lots of learning.

Cons

Management out of touch, difficult situations, high stress.

"CSS"

Current Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck.

Cons

This is the worst place to work. All of the negative reviews about this company are 100% true. I was so hopeful about being able to help people and Burrell has destroyed my passion. The job itself is stressful but the work environment makes it horrible. This is supposed to be a not for profit company but the only focus is profit. Management could care less about helping people. It is all about how many clients can be seen to bring in money. CSS’s are constantly put down by management. Expectations change daily and are so high that you can’t meet them. You are constantly getting in trouble for things that are completely out of your control. Management is aware of the issues due to the excessively high turnover rate but blatantly ignore the problems. If you voice concern or frustration, you are immediately labeled a troublemaker and targeted by management. You are expendable and management makes this extremely clear. Also, you are required to use your vehicle without appropriate and fair compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. It is difficult on the client to have 10 case managers in a year. Treat employees as human beings. Remember that client care is important, as is taking care of employees. Giving a raise only to follow it with punitive threats does not make for a conducive environment for employees.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Community Service Manager in Boonville, MO
    Former Employee - Community Service Manager in Boonville, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can manage your time they way you want for the most part but the company itself is terrible

Cons

EVERYTHING- the incentives were terrible- and taken away halfway through my time there. They expect a massive workload with little return

Advice to Management

Start thinking more about your employees and less about yourselves and you will have less turnover.

"Needs A LOT of Work"

Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Nixa, MO
    Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Nixa, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with clients
    Feeling like you're making an impact
    Great hands-on experience in the mental health field
    Awesome co-workers

Cons

No guidance or real training
    Constantly being left short handed
    Very little communication between specialists and higher ups
    Can be physically dangerous at times
    Too many changes trying to be made at once
    No support when issues arise
    Physically and mentally draining
    Not feeling heard or like there was anyone to discuss issues with

Advice to Management

Listen to the residential specialists. We worked on the floor with the clients the most, and even though we may not have degrees or high titles, we know how they may react and handle said changes. Support us. Work as a team, not a hierarchy. Communication is key, especially when working with kids to keep consistency and everyone on the same page. Replace higher titles rather than having others fill in and not be compensated for it.

"Decent place to work, but needs improvement"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Benefits such as health insurance, retirement funds, discounts at local businesses, EAP services
    Most Colleagues are kind and supportive
    Prime location
    Beautiful grounds

Cons

Apparently, long time loyal employment with the company is only worth. About 27.5 cents per hour. Long time employees are not being compensated appropriately.
    Office spaces are not used in the best manner and could be changed in ways that provide more comfort to employees.
    Parking can also be a nightmare at times.

Advice to Management

Worry less about those who have been employed with the company. Employwas with tenure have worked for years making wages that force them to work more than one job....for those people to make wages that still do so (after being promised compensation) makes them look for work elsewhere. If you lose your most knowledgeable people (which is happening) then you won't get the advantages of said intellect. People who have worked 3 or more years with the company should receive additional compensation not provided to anyone who has worked less than 3 years.