Burrell Behavioral Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Burrell Behavioral Health President and CEO CJ Davis
CJ Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has a new CEO who is making changes which seem to be positive" (in 9 reviews)

• "The new administration has made it their goal to make this company "the best place to work and the" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no appreciation and no raises" (in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management is all talk and sprinkling glitter on everything" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Love it"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of changes but they are all helping to make this the best place to work and receive care.

Cons

Communication is slow to come from admin

"Living Hell"

Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Supportive Co-workers, pays the bills, joy of helping others achieve independence, free dental after 2 years

Cons

Constant drama, underpaid for mileage and wages, no incentives or raises (or they tell you you are getting a raise on a certain date and then it never happens, constant wear and tear on vehicle, company care more about numbers and productivity than client care, unrealistic productivity and documentation expectations, forced to pay for work phone insurance, equipment needed for completing documentation rarely works, dishonest administration and CEO, extreme stress, company does not value their employees and acts like CSS's are nothing (they are the backbone of the company and generate the majority of the income), non-profit but are not open about where money is going, etc.

Advice to Management

Burrell is NOT the best place to work or receive care, and it isnt becoming such either. We had high hopes with CJ, but thats was just another let down. He talked a huge game, but he has yet to back it up. Give us our raises, stop taking money from us, increase our rate at which we earn time off, and listen to US!

And why are WE paying to work for YOU?! This company is supposed to be paying their employees, not the other way around!
    Understand the stress this job places on us and know that we take that same stress home to our families every single night. The majority of us would not still be there if we didnt have to be. Hopefully something better will come along soon.

I love my job. I love what I get to do for a living but I HATE the way things work here. The politics are overwhelming, and simply put, we want what we were promised instead of reading constant emails encouraging us to wait for changes in the next email... who does that?!

"CSS"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Great co workers, truly changing lives for some people who really need relief. Flexible schedule. Combination of office work and work out around town with clients. Retirement accumulates quickly.

Cons

Low pay. Low mileage reimbursement. Family health insurance is expensive. Advancement is difficult without an LPC or LCSW.

Advice to Management

Motivate, rather than shame, like we do with our clients :)

"All talk and hot air..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers definitely. If it wasn't for the support throughout the day, many lower level employees would walk like I did. Providers are doing the same thing.

Cons

Upper management is all talk and sprinkling glitter on everything. No communication from all the "Executive" meetings and if you happen to be in the presence of a couple of the "Executive" members, you rarely get a smile back and they don't date to make eye contact.

Advice to Management

Many good employees were let go. Employees that many respected and trusted. Trust is a very hard thing to earn back. It will take a long time for this to ever take place. Stop trying to fix things that are not broken and advertising "the best place to work and the best place to receive care". Best place to work, don't see it ever happening. Best place to receive care, waiting list is too long.

"Stressful"

Pros

Benefits. Pay was okay but raises are few. Working with people with behavior problems makes you feel like you are helping them. Coworkers were wonderful to work with.

Cons

No family time. Upper management only out for themselves. Counselors will blame staff for everything. Staff gets thrown under the bus when counselors esculate the clients and leaves staff to clean up their mess.

"Always a catch"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of promises being made

Cons

The newest bait and switch ... They will give out raises but if productivity requirements aren't met benefits will be taken away. I guess that's how we are going to pay ourselves back as a company, huh? Plus we are required to attend mandatory meetings, but that time doesn't get accounted for with productivity - just counts against us. How is that fair? Sorry, but if you take away my benefits I'm out. Let's see what those job retention rates are a year from now ...

Advice to Management

Compensate our productivity for required staffing and peer reviews. And when the CEO promises the potential of incentives for meeting productivity, don't let the new boss snicker during staffing, and tell employees that our salary is the only incentive we'll get. It doesn't make us feel valued or motivated.

"Trust your gut"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping clients obtain the resources they need

Cons

Unprofessional , demoralizing, middle school mentality. This behavior is perpetuated by those who serve in supervisory roles. If employees would put the amount of energy into their work as they do in rumor mongering and disparaging their co-workers, a lot could be accomplished. It’s a disappointment that those who should serve as champions for “Zero Suicide” engage in this.

Advice to Management

The use of hashtags and slogans are understandable, in order to build momentum. That said, there are areas within the agency with deep rooted issues. Slapping a band-aid on things does not solve the underlying problems. I can’t imagine any discerning consumer wanting to send their family or friends to an agency where this type of environment exists, much less wanting to work here.

"Honestly a good place to work!"

Current Employee - Community Support Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Community Support Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a real team atmosphere, especially between supervisors and their CSS teams. I very much enjoy the position itself and the feeling of cohesiveness between clinics and the various clinicians, however it does feel like the regions should operate more independently of one another. Burrell will work with you when there are issues that require time off or adjusted schedules, as long as you are willing to give them notice and the opportunity to do so.

Cons

Not all managers are helpful, and stress levels can be high. Expectations change frequently, - be aware that what you are told one day may be vastly different from the information and expectations the next week. If weather is extreme, the clinic expects you to use your own time rather than closing sensibly, even though it affects individuals' performance within the position, effectively causing employees to either have to use up their vacation days for inclement weather (ice storms!), or missing bonuses for not making their productivity expectations.

Advice to Management

Add in more vacation/personal time or close clinics during extreme weather/circumstances. Offer more opportunity for employees to anonymously make suggestions, as thoughts and ideas that did not occur during the listening tour are stagnating due to employees being afraid to speak up.

"Progressing towards great changes"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new administration has made it their goal to make this company "the best place to work and the best place to receive care". I have seen positive changes in the last few months including breaking up the work of over burdened supervisory staff and increasing recruiting efforts. Changes to raises are also in the works.

Cons

Burrell is a very large agency and can bureaucratic at times. It will take time to get to know about all the other departments and what they do.

Advice to Management

Please, continue to work on making this company a positive place to work so that we can increase retention and job satisfaction.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Burrell provides support to employees and great benefits. I have not met a more dedicated and caring group of people in all the years I have worked. I came to work at Burrell to be of service to clients with mental health disorders and Burrell's care of these clients is unsurpassed. I have great support from my managers.

Cons

As in any organization engulfed in massive change, this is a very stressful time; however, the management is attuned to the needs of the staff as well as the clients.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!