Burrell Behavioral Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest would be helping your clients and seeing their behaviors improve which is huge, and you work with great coworkers (in 3 reviews)

• A lot of my co-workers were great people and I wouldn't have lasted as long without them (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The burn out and turn over rate is unbelievable (in 3 reviews)

• No one has your back no matter how many hours you put in to do the job (in 4 reviews)

1. "They ask too much for too little."

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people. Great team environment. Management actually teach. You will learn more here than you did in college.

Cons

Too much expected out of caseworkers and emotional labor is heavy. If you get behind, there is no catching up.

Advice to Management

You expect too much out of your caseworkers and don't pay enough. Think of your Mission Statement when talking to employees. They are part of the community, as well.

2. "Management Needs Their Own Services"

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Not much to say on pros! It's a great place for non experienced to get some experience. You'll learn what not to do! It's a constant revolving door with little to no talent, so if you don't mind the chaos and low pay, you could advance quickly.

Cons

Management are nut cases, no one seems to know what's going on, and they don't care about employees nor clients, it's all about the money and their own egos. Low pay, no appreciation and no raises. They have a bad name in the industry, so they won't be a great reference for you.

Advice to Management

Get out of the business, there's no help for you. When you realize you are the sick ones, then you'll understand why you can't help anyone else.

3. "Better than nothing, not saying very much"

Current Employee - Residential Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Residential Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, ability to use vacation time. Decent benefits. Many good people to work with.

Cons

Draconian leadership style with some in management. Double standards and little communication. Management can say whatever they want with no accountability.

Advice to Management

If it will help, listen to employees. Acknowledge and validate feelings. Practice what you preach.

4. "Community Support Specialist- Youth"

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to help others learn life skills that will impact them and their loved ones for the rest of their lives.

Cons

Being put in dangerous situations without appropriate training and support.
    No room for advancement.
    No opportunities for additional training without hindering your productivity score for the week.

Advice to Management

We teach families to make safety plans for consumers with mental health. As workers each team should have safety plans in place working with clients.

5. "Community Support Specialist"

Pros

Decent benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

High turn over rate and caseload

6. "Solid, stable organization with a great mission"

Current Employee - Counselor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Counselor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Serves the underserved in the Columbia area, Good use of evidence based practices, Low Drama, adequate pay, decent benefits, one of only two federally qualified health centers in the area (which allows for total student loan repayment for qualified mental health professionals)

Cons

Every organization has con's - Burrell does too - one that stands out is that the hiring process can be quite long (depending upon the job you're applying for) and that can create hardship while waiting for it to be completed - however this did give me an opportunity to up my salary as they were willing to match other salary offers I received while waiting for the job to start.

"Not worth the time."

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get into the social work field, this is a fantastic start. No upward movement unless you have a masters though.

Cons

I only "worked" for the company for a few days, before they came to me and told me that my degree wasn't sufficient for the job...now why wouldn't that be the FIRST thing they looked at before they even interviewed me? Very unorganized.

"We're Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Pros

Anyone can bring home a paycheck -- but working here, you make a difference. Every. Single. Day. This organization changes peoples lives for the better, and is constantly evolving to better meet those needs. Employees are recognized as being a critical part of that solution, and valued members of not only a team, but a movement.

Cons

As with any large organization, sometimes individual contributions are not recognized as fully as they could be. Nonetheless, it is an organization where if you are a shining star, you will eventually be seen and recognized for that -- you just have to stick with it and be patient.

Advice to Management

Improved communication -- particularly with a regular encouraging message that resonates with all staff -- one that reminds us that we are all in this together, and together we are awesome!

"Community Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Therapist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Therapist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to develop skills. Supportive supervisor, if you get the right one. Great resources to use for sessions, good benefits, ethical organization.

Cons

Some staff members were not as supportive or ethical as they should have been.

Advice to Management

Higher expectations for supervisors and CSS'.

"Terrible management and experience"

Current Employee - Clinician in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Clinician in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in creating your own schedule as a clinician, start earning vacation and sick time right away, good coworkers... not much else

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, not supported by administration, clinical decisions made by non-clinical administration, no communication, performance evaluated only by number of hours billed

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and their well being