Burrell Behavioral Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2019

Burrell Behavioral Health President and CEO CJ Davis
CJ Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has a new CEO who is making changes which seem to be positive" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great co workers, truly changing lives for some people who really need relief" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no appreciation and no raises" (in 8 reviews)

• "Upper management is all talk and sprinkling glitter on everything" (in 7 reviews)

1. "The best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great co-workers and management who are passionate about our mission
    -Culture centered on wellness and making people's lives better
    -Excellent benefits and pay
    -Constant improvements to policies, pay, benefits, buildings, etc.
    -Career growth potential as Burrell expands

Cons

Wishing we could help more people, but that is coming with greater coverage as we expand

2. "The company is wonderful, the department is lacking"

Former Employee - Residential Support Specialist in Nixa, MO
    Former Employee - Residential Support Specialist in Nixa, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of hours, make a difference in children's lives

Cons

Management is awful with their us vs them mentality, very stressful environment, the floor staff was overworked

Advice to Management

Put your floor staff first. Listen to their concerns and pick your battles

3. "Nothing but stress..."

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers were great, reception and front office staff absolutely amazing. Occasional bonuses were also a positive.

Cons

Primary focus is on "productivity" rather than what's best for the clients. Monthly staff meetings became nothing but an opportunity for management to threaten and create a culture of fear and negativity. If you enjoy living in constant fear of losing your job because those with mental illness struggle with keeping their appointments, then this is the perfect job for you.

Advice to Management

It's impossible and unethical to expect that a mental health agency should run expecting such high productivity when you consider the population that is served. You're burning out your providers.

4. "Lack of accountability"

Current Employee - CSS
    Current Employee - CSS

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, average pay for entry level caseworker

Cons

Lack of accountability
    Unprofessional staff
    Lack of office space

Advice to Management

Burrell could be a great company, but it lacks the proper hiring and trainings needed for the CSSs to be successful. There is a lack of cultural and sensitivity training and it shows. The managers aren’t held accountable for their poor staff. This is a mental health profession and staff should be held to a higher standard. Managers need to care more about the community they serve . Also, work space is very limited. There should be room for everyone. We shouldn’t have to sit anywhere else but a desk. This company doesn’t have a professional culture. Many people do whatever they want and could care less about the clients. This company needs better leadership.

"Exhausting"

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The occasional bonuses were nice, but unreliable.

Cons

Pay was way too low for the amount of work required. CSSs work until they're ready to collapse. Management didn't care about the welfare of clients or employees, and instead placed all the focus on numbers. They could make a difference if they focused on the right things.

"A Mess"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I loved MY team, sort of.
    -They emphasize taking midday breaks, unlike other companies I've worked for.
    -I got promoted rather quickly within the company

Cons

-Nearly everything else.
    -They pay the lowest amount compared to any other mental healthcare provider in the area.
    -The new CEO is an idiot. Higher ups are willfully ignorant to what caseworkers actually want and are capable of. They definitely encouraged taking advantage of booking appointments and exploiting Medicaid's number system. They would offer a cash bonus to people who somehow made the impossible appointment numbers.
    -The direct casework supervision on *not* my team was frequently awful. I know a lot of caseworkers and social workers are unstable, just how the world works. But good god, at one of the neighboring offices there was a whole dramatic thing about how someone reported something incorrectly (a supervisor was upset that one of her team members didn't try talking to her first before going to HR, and honestly with that reaction, I would absolutely just go to HR).

-Oh hey, by the way. HR in Columbia (or maybe even Central) is just one person, I think. So that's always good. I was having a lot of problems with my health insurance and it took literally 4 months for that to get ironed out.

Advice to Management

Please fix everything.

"pay"

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

company cares about its people

Cons

lower pay than other companies

"Think hard about being a case manager here"

Former Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - CSS in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health (More than a year)

Pros

Some what freedom on scheduling your day, limited supervisor contact, recent pay increases and benefits.

Cons

Upper management disconnected from employees that are making money for the company, increased stress, continued high turnover, high turnover in management, unrealistic client contacts, pay increases still not high enough for the duties CSS' perform.

Advice to Management

Stop being so disconnected to your lower employees (how make the money for the company) and correct the problem with turnover even if it means readjusting client care. High turn over isn't good for anyone involved.

"Still not the best place to work or receive care"

Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - CSS in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-worker support, helping others, pays the bills, apparently you can walk right in without a degree of any kind and be making the exact same amount as the people with degrees who have been there for years

Cons

Low wages for the amount of work you do, drive your own vehicle with minimum mileage reimbursement, dishonest administration, shady management, unrealistic productivity and documentation standards, no room for advancement, hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

There is a reason turnover is so high. Client care is important, but so is the care of your employees. If you continue to treat us like we don't matter, you will continue to see us walk out the door.

The recent raise was nice, but when you have been there for years and you see the new person getting that same raise (some of whom do not even have a college degree), its very discouraging and maddening.

You aren't giving us any reason to want to stay. Especially when Compass Health is starting out at 17.00 per hour.

If you truly want this to be the best place to work and receive care, you need to start making changes real fast.

"Not a good place to grow"

Current Employee - Psychologist
    Current Employee - Psychologist

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and they are giving raises to clinicians

Cons

While there is better attitude towards admin now, the morale is so low. Decisions are made without consulting the people involved. They seem to be spending a LOT of money on a positive facade- but the truth is we all still feel like a factory worker. Leadership team wears fancy suits and flashy smiles but no individual attention whatsoever. Not a place for an eager psychologist to grow.

Also, beware the ratings on Glass Door. They were offering $5 Amazon gift cards at one point for people to write reviews.

Advice to Management

Focus more on clients and employees, not a glittery facade. Quit promoting your friends into fancy positions.