Butler Medical Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good place to get your foot in the door for Healthcare"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Butler Medical Transport (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about medical billing

Cons

They do not pay as well as others in the industry

2. "Seek Employment Elsewhere"

Current Employee - EMT in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - EMT in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Butler Medical Transport full-time

Pros

You might (if you know someone) end up at Children's National Medical Center

Cons

They treat their employees like garbage, dispatch is incompetent, units are held together with paperclips and broken dreams.

Benefits are non-existent. The health insurance recently improved but is still an absolute joke.

Advice to Management

The reason you have huge boom and bust cycles in staffing is the horrendous way you treat your employees. I would say either stop treating your employees like dirt or remove the mirrors in your home so you don't have to look at yourself

3. "Not worth the $$$"

Former Employee - EMT/Driver
    Former Employee - EMT/Driver

I worked at Butler Medical Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They bring you in with the promise of $$$ and they do pay more than other similar companies in the area

Cons

From the top down the company is a micro managed nightmare. Their Ambo’s are all bought used and mostly junk. Management prefers to spend its time showing up a facilities to spot check employee uniform compliance rather than to work on the real issues that continue to cause very low morale and high employee turnover. Their mechanic are overworked and instead of preventive maintenance they do bandaid maintenance. It’s not uncommon to drive up and down I-70 and see any one of a number of their units dead on the side of the road. Crap equipment, micro-managers who are more interested in tackling what their employees post on social media rather than doing things to improve employee satisfaction. The owner of the company fired his own son and chose instead a chief operating officer that his own office complains about in a daily basis. The owner more interest in running for public office than he does in running his own company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the chief Operating Officer that prefers to rule by intimidation and micro managing and create a culture of caring for their employees and the rest will fall in place. If you can’t keep your trucks on the road, and you can’t keep your offices staffed, you’ll continue to lose contracts and will never be on time fir calls.

4. "Why Butler Medical Transport wasn't a perfect fit for me."

Former Employee - Former Employee, EMT-B, NREMT, DC EMT, Driver
    Former Employee - Former Employee, EMT-B, NREMT, DC EMT, Driver

I worked at Butler Medical Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Butler pays better than most. Butler offers pay differentials.

Cons

Their equipment is old and breaks very easily. Units are poorly maintenances. Management only cares about getting units out the door, not the well being of the employee.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way they should be treated. Don't put employees in as managers position without a years experience as an EMT or management experience.

5. "."

Current Employee - EMT-B
    Current Employee - EMT-B

I have been working at Butler Medical Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good for the level of cert.

Cons

You get heldover a lot

Advice to Management

Nothing to add here.

6. "Mom & Pop Joint"

I worked at Butler Medical Transport full-time

Pros

Absolutely nothing - to report - do not believe a word they say to you

Cons

Highly unprofessional, dark ages- out of touch with reality, lack of respect, and bullied by upper "leadership" - very stressful, watch yourback, unhappy atmosphere.

7. "Toxic leadership leads to horrible environment company wide"

I have been working at Butler Medical Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience dealing with the chronically ill
    The pay for regular employees is good

Cons

Managers make less than road employees
    Company is run by horrible people

Advice to Management

Yelling at everyone doesn't solve problems. Neither does accepting deals with facilities that you can't possibly hope to fulfill.

8. "A Decidedly Interesting Experience"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Butler Medical Transport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great to be able to see more of the hospitals than just the ER. Almost all of my partners at work were pretty great and I got to grow some great friendships. Pay is pretty good compared to most of the region, especially for EMT-Bs and if you play your cards right you can get a bit of down time in your day.

Cons

Dispatch will regularly try to hold you over, management will hold you responsible for anything and everything that might go wrong, including starting your shift assigned to a unit that won't start. It's not unusual for dispatch to try to throw you under the bus for their mistakes, especially when you're dealing with a patient or patient's family, and it's not unusual for any leeway you give management in scheduling to turn into a part time employee working OT regularly and being told to suck it up when you express discontent with their poor scheduling skills. Stuff is regularly missing or broken, so you have to take it upon yourself to be a jerk to management and dispatch to get it dealt with before you put your card on the line.

9. "A good Company ruined by one Manager"

I worked at Butler Medical Transport full-time

Pros

Owner of the Company and most Managers are truly a pleasure to work for. Pay is better than average. call ins are great because no one here wants to come to work. So money can be made if that is all you want. The other employees are, for most part, very nice and helpful to new employees. Dispatch is very knowledgeable but the dispatchers are sometimes very short tempered.

Cons

One member of the Management team is heartless, money over everything, total Dictator! At Management meetings others are allowed to contribute ideas while some make fun of anyone who is critical of a management position. The equipment is far below standards and some units break down every day and are never properly repaired.
    You are made promises by HR that are not kept and no one in management stands by the promises made in Orientation.

Advice to Management

Money is not everything, and how much is enough? Treating employees like dogs and making fun of other managers behind their backs is not something they should be doing.
    BUY DECENT EQUIPMENT! Units should not be breaking down daily!

10. "Don't do it"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Really none. The pay's good, but AMR is paying the same for tri-state medics these days with better working conditions, and other private Ambos in the area would only ask you to take a $2/hr pay cut. That $2/hr is more than worth it for a better company.

Cons

An overall shady company. Disrespectful management and dispatchers. Barely usable equipment and ambulances, which were bought at the lowest price and never appropriately maintained. Equipment is frustrating and constantly breaking down. Crews are often directed to do things which would be dangerous to themselves and or the patients, then threatened if they refuse. No consideration for their employees needs or life.

My favorite example:
    Last year during the "Snowzilla" snow storm employees were informed they MUST come in and stay the night if they were scheduled and thought they would be snowed out. Myself and about 8 others did as directed, sleeping in the back of ambulances with no kitchen, shower, or adequate heating. The snowstorm trapped us in an oversized garage for 3 days, and Butler cut our shifts since we couldn't run calls. Refusing to reimburse us even for the time we were scheduled, even though they told us we MUST come in or face punishment.

Advice to Management

If you wish to foster loyalty, you must first demonstrate loyalty.