CSI (Computer Systems Institute) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CSI (Computer Systems Institute) CEO Julia Lowder
Julia Lowder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • helping students achieve their goals (in 5 reviews)

• Truly value a nontraditional education experience for international students and those fresh new solutions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is essentially non-existent (in 3 reviews)

• This is stressful job with low pay but I learned how to deal with a difficult situations and how to perform under pressure (in 4 reviews)

"Land of opportunities"

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time

Pros

* Most of the students are international, which gives teachers and staff an opportunity to practice and develop their skills in intercultural communication
    * Management listens to employees and supports them in the area where they want to develop themselves

Cons

Large load of work, especially during certain times of the year, but which workplace does not have it?

2. "Loved the students, struggled with the administration"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Worcester, MA

I worked at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My students and fellow instructors were pretty outstanding.

Cons

The level of prep work / admin expected of us at no additional pay was absurd.

"Student Ambassador"

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) part-time

Pros

Ability to study and work at the same time

Cons

Limited time and field to work

"Tons of opportunity for growth and entrepreneurial environment"

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time

Pros

• People are great. Staff is very committed to helping students at all levels as well as each other
    • Truly value a nontraditional education experience for international students and those fresh new solutions. No cookie cutters here!
    • Lots of opportunity for growth for those who work hard
    • Management is friendly and approachable, an open door culture
    • Collaborative environment, when new projects or processes come about

Cons

• Highly regulated industry
    • Changes in global politics may effect long term growth opportunities for international education
    • Culture is very much like that of a startup, if you are not comfortable with change and sometimes doing things outside of your original job description you will probably not be successful

"The best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time

Pros

- Teamwork. My coworkers and management are very professional and always there for you;
    - Career Growth. Here at CSI you have a chance to realize yourself and everyone will be happy to help you build your career:
    -Support, CSI cares about their employees;
    -It is just fun to work with international students, you have a chance to learn cultural differences and traditions.

There is much more good things to say about CSI, you will love it!

Cons

- There is nothing to complain about - great company, great people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - great job!

"International Admission Advisor"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CSI has great environment, friendly staff especially Raj and Julia they're awesome people, humble and very vigilant to take the internal/External customer service in CSI to the next level
    Best benefits from working in CSI : employees have access to an employer-sponsored 401(k)+A solid health insurance plan is basically like money in your pocket. That's because without such a plan, you might end up spending thousands more in uncovered treatments and services+ generous paid time off especially for Mom to be.

Cons

we would like more locations to be opened in Illinois for more mobility

Advice to Management

Keep up with the technology trends and Social Media to have more prospects students

7. "ESL/BCP Instructor"

Current Employee - ESL/BCP Instructor in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - ESL/BCP Instructor in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Complete curriculum. Little planning required. You can even plan loosely-tied field trips!
    -Gain teaching experience. This is a great entry level position if you haven't started teaching professionally yet. You get the butterflies out of your system and learn how to endure and keep things going. Need to test out teaching methods on adults? This is for you.
    -The other instructors know what you're going through so their empathy is sometimes a lifesaver on some days.
    -The main upper staff like the dean and program leads ARE supportive, but only to a point. If it's anything with regard to policy, there's usually nothing they can do until something slowly changes the following quarter.
    -The students can either being really great or really bad. The axing of ESL seems to have left a bad stigma around campus and many are not enjoying the Business program they have now. But some can still provide good conversation to pass the time.

Cons

-The pay rate and hours are low for even distinguished individuals. Flat $20/hr (25 hours/week if you really aim to get that. Otherwise you average 20.) For that matter, their budget is extremely tight when it comes to part-timers.

-Intermittent breaks between short quarters. Eg. 1 five week course will have a week or two off. If it's a 9 week course, it might be a month!

-Some to none advancement opportunities. Even after a year, I haven't really moved anywhere on the ladder, even after nice commentary from other upper staff.

-The classes themselves are 4 hours at a time. Combine them back-to-back and you're looking at a 9 hour day of teaching the same thing. Actually, you really only teach for the first few hours of each class. The rest of the time is down-time for the students to do their work. ON THIS NOTE, "teaching" feels much more like babysitting adults in detention. They have to show up to keep their status and grade up. To put it bluntly, you're essentially their primary entertainment, until they decide to tune you out.

-The computers in the classroom are a huge distraction. You might be showing a video or giving a lecture, but there's no internet policy in place. Nothing restricts them from completely ignoring your presence as you try to strike up a conversation and going straight to YouTube. They don't see you as an instructor. As such, there is little to no respect given.

-There's talk of professional development, but it seems you really have to sift through the seams to find the opportunities.

-Policy changes extremely slowly and sometimes does so without notice. At staff meetings, there's not really much room for debate on a 4-way campus Skype call.

-The BCP (Business Career Program) students do not care about American business. They're there to keep their status and nothing else. This is why the classes don't work. When this was an ESL-accredited institution, you got wonderful classes with students that cared about the material and wanted to use it in everyday life. Ever since then, BCP has changed the attitudes of many students and instructors alike, hence becoming the revolving door that's evident on the Glassdoor reviews.

Advice to Management

-Make sure your employees' voices are heard! Teachers are to give feedback after every lesson, but it doesn't feel like it's being read or heard by anyone.
    -Give your employees more growth opportunities.
    -Most of all get ESL-accredited once again. It's a sad sight seeing all of those materials not being used.

8. "NCP instructor"

Pros

Part-time hours, ability to create your own lesson plans

Cons

terrible work environment. School misrepresented the amount of passing students.

"Manager"

I have been working at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time

Pros

CSI gives you a chance to grow into new roles which you may not get with other organizations. They have very set structures in plae that help new administrators grow into their positions.

Cons

There is really no room for growth, and feedback and ideas are not given consideration. It is a lead from the top sink or swim environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your administrators more and guide them in creating their campus cultures in a positive way. Work on making your campuses less transactional and add more student activities and support services. The qualitative and ancillary aspects of student services are more important than traditional sales and marketing approaches.

10. "Toxic work environment"

I worked at CSI (Computer Systems Institute) full-time

Pros

- Pay
    - Own office
    - Overall clean school

Pay was the sole reason I didn't outright quit this job when the drain was circling for the company. There were a handful of colleagues that were really wonderful, and I wish the best for them. Having my own office was very cool.

Cons

- Pretty much everything else

I worked in Admissions at this school and it was the worst experience of my life. Working in Admissions, you were like a social worker that didn't care about the students' actual problems; your job was to bully them into enrolling into a school that more than likely wouldn't have benefitted them anyway.
    The work environment had low morale and high toxicity. There was little communication between departments, so little that when giving tours I didn't know all the instructors' names because I wasn't properly introduced to all of them.
    I want to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that outside of the workplace, the people that were my colleagues were good people. However, on the clock at this job was a completely different story of backstabbing, favoritism, and the most unprofessional and inappropriate behavior I have ever encountered.

I'm so happy that this place lost title IV funding. Cleaning out my office was the best day of my life.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees badly.