CU Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CU Direct CEO Anthony Boutelle
Anthony Boutelle
Pros
Cons
  • "This often results in decreased employee morale - more specifically relating to work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• "Yet, The upper management never takes any action to address the issues(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Change can be painful, yet needed"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CU Direct full-time

Pros

401k match Benefits package and cost CUSO with great history Room to grow/advance - over 50 promotions in ‘18 Many long term employees - 10+ years Strong history of growth serving credit unions

Cons

Recent turnover in key roles could be a concern, but it could also be positioning the company for the next stage of growth. Company wants a sense of urgency and that may be uncomfortable for some.

Advice to Management

Keep making decisions that put the company in a position for long term growth. Execution is the key to show clients change is not impacting the company negatively and the future holds great promise.

CU Direct2019-01-19

CU Direct Response

February 22, 2019CU Direct

Change can be challenging at times, however our goal is to make the process as seamless and frictionless as possible. We acknowledge that may not always be the case. We echo your sentiment in that CU Direct is a growing organization with a great historical track record. CU Direct is a company that is constantly evolving and we look forward to exciting times ahead! Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

"Great Culture, Benefits, and Management Team"

Current Employee - Manager in Ontario, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CU Direct offers an innovative, fun and progressive work environment that allows employees to learn and grow in their careers. They also offer a great benefit package, bonus plans, and promote work/life balance. In addition, the company is an avid supporter of Credit Unions for Kids, and has helped raise more than 5 million dollars through their charitable efforts for Children's Hospitals.

Cons

It is a fast-paced company, which can also be a pro.

Advice to Management

Keep providing open, clear and regular communication to staff through the newsletters, and team meetings, as these are great ways to keep all employees updated on the company.

CU Direct2019-08-29
  3. "Pretty good overall..."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Good technical management Decent Salary Good technology roadmap

Cons

Recent changes in management and new good technical management challenged lots of old employees and old practices. A change is always difficult, resulting in some long term people leaving. In my opinion changes and challenges are meaningful, however think management should made it gradual..

CU Direct2019-10-12

"Great company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ontario, CA

I worked at CU Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Change of management and culture.

CU Direct2019-09-13

"Great experience - love the company culture!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture and benefits! Company culture is highly dependent on which department you are associated with, but our marketing department does a great job keeping a positive mindset and collaborating with one another. There is always an open line of communication which allows for greater efficiency and transparency.

Cons

There have been instances where team members are spread out thin, and at times can be overworked. This often results in decreased employee morale - more specifically relating to work-life balance. On the bright side, management continues to make a concerted effort to encourage employees to take time off when needed or requested - no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Communication is key! Personally, I have not had any issues with our management team. For the most part, they are very responsive and attentive to any action required deliverables. Keep up the great work.

CU Direct2019-08-29

"A good place overall that continues to evolve for the future."

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation Benefits 401K Financially Stable Fast-Pace Environment Future-Focused

Cons

Lots of Change - Pro and Con Overall Workload to Staff Ratio Evolving Culture

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on our people, staff, our clients, and culture.

CU Direct2019-08-28

CU Direct Response

August 29, 2019CU Direct

Thank you for your feedback!

"Growing Pains, but Should be Worth the Ride"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

CU Direct supports the Credit Union Movement. There are plenty of professional growth opportunities. The benefits and work/life balance are very good. It is potentially building very cool technology solutions, and is on the cusp of going BIG - I believe it will happen. While it is still about a year beyond the leaders, CU Direct does strive to be innovative - this too will come with maturity. The... overall leadership and management team are fantastic to work for. Likewise, the staff overall functions like a family - great vibe.

Cons

Risk if going BIG is not properly executed - this will be vital. Org lacks structure for decision making as well as structure for communicating where product development is and/or how work is prioritized - it shifts a lot. This is frustrating for employees and clients alike. Some of the leadership lacks EQ - to the extreme - and it is impacting the culture of the organization. There is a "clash of... cultures" on several fronts which causes friction. The org needs to define its culture - not in words or aspirationally, but in the way every person acts and the business operates day-to-day.

Advice to Management

The vision and mission are excellent. Everyone seems to have best of intentions. Needs a lot of work on leadership soft-skills. It also desperately needs structure for decision-making and transparency at scale. There is one senior leader who seems to want to run everything and does not operate with transparency or collaboratively. This undermines the rest of the leadership team, and is damaging to the overall... culture and integrity of the organization.

CU Direct2019-08-30

"It was time"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Encompassed by individuals and team that are improving our products & services Commitment to do what is right for clients even if it costs more The organization is diversifying its revenue sources

Cons

As the organization continues to evolve to take advantage of market moments, there has been significantly more employee turnover in past year or two than previously. However, these difficult changes have improved the product offerings from CU Direct.

Advice to Management

The organization is moving in the right direction

"Things are improving"

Current Employee - Senior Learning Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Love the people I work with. Like at any company experiences differ depending on dept and manager. - Flexible hours, good health benefits, 401K matching, bonuses (yr/qtr) & 10 paid holidays/yr. - Beautiful office with a Beer Fridge to enjoy after a long day at work. - Slowly, but surely they seem to be trying to improve things. Change across an organization should be well planned to ensure success.

Cons

- No Communication between depts. Every dept is it's own Silo and Exec's seem to like it that way. - Restructure teams are too often. Not enough time to see if the restructure works before they restructure again. - Seems like they over promise and under deliver on products. Not realistic on timelines for BIG projects. - Just started using offshore teams. Personally, I don't have faith in utilizing offshore... teams, but that's just a personal opinion.

Advice to Management

- Value the advice of those working daily in the trenches more than the execs who say the things you want to hear. Talk is cheap, get into the trenches and talk to people on the frontline. - Change needs to be a top down movement that is embraced by EVERY manager, director & executive. Currently, there no consistency in company values. - Be realistic on timelines. Quality work takes time and good people. If... we keep losing good people we won't get quality work which is more detrimental in the long run.

CU Direct2019-08-28

"Such a terrible place to work"

I have been working at CU Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

The vending machines are .25 cents

Cons

Very poorly managed environment. Management does their best to be little you every chance they get, instead of working with you. They claim work/life balance, however 70+ hour weeks really tends to weigh a little more on the work side of that scale. They claim to care about their employees, but unless you have a "director" or "chief" in your title, you mean absolutely nothing. Management actively looks for... reasons to get rid of current, good, full time employees so they can fill them with off shore to save money. You see offshore folk who haven't been here 10 months get promoted over staff that actually deserve it and have been here multiple years. Since working here, I've seen the turn over of entire departments, including management. I've been diagnosed with mild depression and anxiety that now requires medication.

Advice to Management

There really isn't more that can be said outside of these other reviews. But, please listen to your employees.

CU Direct2019-09-10