Caffè Nero Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Caffè Nero Chairman and CEO Gerry W. Ford
Gerry W. Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free coffee, if you're lucky you will have a good manager that cares for you (in 46 reviews)

• Regular customers are your favourite (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • 20 minutes break for a shift under 12 hours is a joke and its unpaid (in 24 reviews)

• Pay was terrible with no way of advancing unless you're the manager / area managers lap dog (in 18 reviews)

1. "Standard customer service"

I worked at Caffè Nero full-time

Pros

- good people to work with overall
    - unlimited coffee
    - easy and mindless work

Cons

- monotonous once you've learned the ropes
    - long queues with impatient customers

2. "barista"

I worked at Caffè Nero part-time

Pros

tips are great . its pretty easy work as long as you don't get overwhelmed.

Cons

it can get boring if its slow. you also have really early mornings opner had to be there at 430am.

Advice to Management

mang

3. "Eh..."

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Caffè Nero part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Free coffee. They do train baristas fairly well, so you can work at Nero for a few months, and then move to a better paying competitor. And they will hire literally anyone.

Cons

Caffe Nero isn't THE WORST place I've worked, but I would never recommend it to anyone. They pay minimum wage -- less than Starbucks or other competing coffee shops. The employee attrition rate is ridiculous -- I would say most baristas last about a month. It's just not worth it beyond that. A lot of the managers are hired from outside of the company (I suspect because no one stays long enough to become a manager), and so a lot of them are pretty incompetent.

Advice to Management

Why do you spend so much money on parties but not on actually paying your employees? You'll never be able to grow as a company if no one wants to work for you.

4. "Caffe Nero"

Former Employee - Barista in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I worked at Caffè Nero part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training process is amazing. From the start you go through an intense 2 day training where you get to know the espresso machines and watch an information video about the company. A coffee expert is with you for those 2 days showing you the basic steps for making any and all drinks (Nero-related). They give a good amount of hours, but are also very flexible with your schedule. There are a lot of opportunities for moving on within the company, especially because they're opening a lot of new stores.

Cons

Sometimes you have to wake up extremely early (if you're opening you have to be there at 6am). But overall, the pros outweigh the cons by far.

Advice to Management

Keep the training process as detailed and demanding as it is. Promote more employees instead of bringing in outside hires.

5. "Manager who left the company"

Current Employee - Used to BE Manager in Bucks, AL
    Current Employee - Used to BE Manager in Bucks, AL

I have been working at Caffè Nero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really comes to mind. You can progress fast which is a good thing and work with fun people who get miserable after a few months working there because they are taken advantage of.

Cons

Awful company, take everything, give back nothing. Greedy CEO who knows nothing about people and business. Would not suggest it even to my enemy.

Advice to Management

Look after your people and do not squeeze everything out of them and then drop them on the floor.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Barista in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Barista in Worcester, MA

I worked at Caffè Nero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people in store to work with, and some great customers. If you want to progress, it's there but for the money that is offered, you would be better off working for a competitor who provides a competitive salary.

Cons

Long hours with only 20 minutes break which is usually interrupted as there is only 2 people on per shift. With the lack of staff, the staff on shift should be paid a lot more money for the hard work and effort they put in. You get 30 minutes to clean the store after it closes which is impossible when the other team member has to cash up and complete paper work. It is guaranteed you will be out half an hour late at least with no over time paid. Management believe in using robotic techniques to all customers regardless of whether they are a regular or not. If you miss one of the "6 steps" out you will be told. People like to be treated as individuals rather than a mass group!

Advice to Management

Pay the staff more money, or put extra people on shift. Customer service and speed of service will be improved by at least 50% with extra people on shift and will give a better experience to those visiting. This would also allow staff to have their lunch break uninterrupted - they are not cattle! You need to do a survey to all your staff to actually get feedback about the business as a staff member to understand why you have such a large turnover, although I'm sure Gerry Ford doesn't give the slightest damn about the people who make his business work - the front line staff. Don't send people from head office to the store to give a speech about the 6 steps - allow staff to treat customers individually rather than telling Mr Bob who comes in everyday for his tall latte where the sugars are when he has been visiting the store for the past 10 years - would you like to be treated like this?

7. "Supervising"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Caffè Nero full-time

Pros

Easy work, fun work enviorment, supportive management team

Cons

Stressful at times, always under staff

Advice to Management

Easy to advance into management just let them know you're interested. Anyone can work here they hire anyone. Which isn't a good thing.

8. "Good to start"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Caffè Nero full-time

Pros

If you are lucky you get to work with a great team, I still have friends from there after years! Once they moved me to St. Pancreas and the team terrible, awful time shifts (my start was at 4 am)

Cons

Forget a career in there, salary are very low and they want your blood. To get a decent salary I worked over 50 h a week. When I left I found out they never change my status from shift leader to assistant manager... Come on

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees as much as yo do WITH tour customer otherwise you won't go far

9. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista Caffè Nero
    Former Employee - Barista Caffè Nero

I worked at Caffè Nero part-time

Pros

Free standard coffee whilst on shift. Massively discounted food/drinks on break. They hire people with similar work ethics so will most likely get on with work colleagues.
    Rewards staff with an area party every 6 months.
    If you have the drive to do this as a career they will take you seriously and give you responsibility to further yourself.

Cons

Made us work a 10 to 4 shift with no break or time to have anything for lunch. Can get very busy in some stores and you are expected to do everything, wipe tables and serve customers whilst keeping stock levels topped up.
    Can take a while to get out of your 'red shirt'.
    You don't get paid overtime.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with yourselves on who can actually take on more responsibility.

10. "Good Starter Career"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Malvern, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Malvern, England (UK)

I worked at Caffè Nero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to develop and progress

Cons

Very low pay and long hours with no overtime. Often understaffed and hours aren’t guaranteed. Contracted hours aren’t always available.

Advice to Management

Increase pay between roles