Cal Net Technology Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
James Hwang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The company is coming together"

Current Employee - Client Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of changes taking place. Calnet bought a lot of companies and now making it into one. The senior management is good and they are on a first name basis including the CEO. Really like the direction we are going.

Cons

There are still some negative employees that are left and they don't care to change or be good teammates. They complain all the time and with any changes. It's getting annoying.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old and bring in the new employees faster. The ones that are here believe in the direction of the company and we love it! The ones that are negative are just not helping.

2. "Cal Net - A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Core Values, easy interview process, friendly employees and environment, conveniently located and many perks.

Cons

None - Nothing to add here

"Great environment"

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the people who work here are friendly and caring. The environment is one of family rather than big corporation. HR cares about each employee. The CEO goes to each location and says hi to you by name. The pay is comparable for the market.

Cons

The benefits are not the greatest. The company pays only about 50% share of the medical.
    Like any company going through change, they have their issues with the restructuring and have had layoffs and pay cuts. The CEO says the changes will improve the company so time will tell.

Advice to Management

Stop telling us there won't be more changes and then through more at us.

"Morphing Machine"

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here since last November. The teams and departments here are growing so fast. I have seen so many positive changes and improvements in procedure. Not only does this company value their clients, but they value the employees here as well.
    I have worked with other companies that lacked in the department of showing appreciation to their employees.
    Everyone here works on simplifying work life - they are open to ideas in order to get there.

Cons

I really don't have any con's to list.

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been here more than 3 years and seen a ton of change in the past two years. The new CEO is making good changes and weeding out the very negative people that have been here a long time. Some of the people that have been here a long time haven't made the effort to change and it's good to see them get out of the company.

Cons

Lots and lots of change. Having a hard time keeping up. It seems like the company is changing to stay ahead of the competition. We just got new comp plans in the field and it seems okay. I need more help and explanation.

Advice to Management

Please take some time to explain the changes and why all of the changes are taking place. I really like some of the new changes with the service desk with good engineering provided at the escalation team. The finance team still seems to be slow.

6. "Dont work here please."

Pros

None anymore. All senior staff left.

Cons

HR is awful. Good luck getting any response back. Benefits are garbage. Salary and wages are garbage. New techs have the knowledge of a GeekSquad engineer. No promotions. No bonuses. No perks anymore. They recently cut pay for all techs. This company recently had a large round of layoffs. Guess who didn't get a pay cut? Surprise Surprise... The administration staff!!! Of course they wouldn't.

Advice to Management

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

"Great for engineers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Cal Net Technology Group full-time

Pros

Growing company with many opportunities to advance or change seats. Many clients around SoCal so if you get in on a good client, it could be fun long-term. New data warehouse changes may mitigate some cons.

Cons

Strategies and incentives change frequently. Upper management uses a spaghetti strategy (anything that sticks to the wall) to make decisions . Because they're owned by a financial board, there are metrics for everything, so certain important changes never happen because that impacts reporting. Finance and procurement are restructuring because they're too slow to respond to clients and their commission structure is WAY too complicated for its own good. If these departments were more efficient they wouldn't have to hire FT people to back up FT people who don't do their jobs effectively.

Advice to Management

Simplify your internal process and make field engineers conform to it. They're not above learning new things. Need to refresh finance and operations. They're holding back progress.

"An Employer That Takes Care of Their People"

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cal Net is a company that takes care of their employees in a way that I've never seen before. The company culture is warm and friendly. Management tries their best to listen to their employees, even if they can't implement suggestions.

Compensation is good and the rate for sys engineers is hourly giving you opportunities for overtime.

I feel that hard work is recognized and rewarded. I have freedom to set my own hours within reason and make sure that I give the company my full efforts. My lead and manager are very responsive, even though I tend to be a "squeaky wheel".

When my life situation changed drastically, Cal Net went out of their way to give me a way to remain employed with the company. This was beyond what I had experienced before with other employers.

Cons

Cal Net is growing fast, and some might argue too fast. The pace of growth forces the company to change the playbook often and that can cause some chaos for the engineering teams. You have to be flexible and adapt.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you need to sprint, and sometimes you need to jog while catching your breath.

9. "They will screw you"

I worked at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Almost none. Management is shady and tells you what they want you to hear.

Cons

After letting us go we signed up for the COBRA insurance. Were on it for a couple of months. Then come March....bam...we are dropping your plan and you have to pick a new one. This is a real hardship for us as we had babies in March and were in the hospital a bunch before that. So now not only did they let us go with no reason but then I have a deductible from 1 insurance company for Jan and Feb....then another deductible for March....and when I start at my new company and switch to their insurance that will be a third deductible to pay just this year. If we cannot change plans other than at open enrollment time then how is it fair that they can just choose to drop plans outside of that time and screw us over?

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they matter rather than like a number or piece of trash that can be discarded at any time.

"Too many corporate games. Not enough opportunities for success"

I worked at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technicians! The IT support team are all real pros from the top levels to the bottom levels.

Cons

Horrible corporate practices that set up the team to fail. Felt like these "set up to fail" practices were there on purpose to keep techs humble and to remove any leverage for them to ask for advancement. Eventually the environment became abusive which put many of the techs on edge (for fear of losing their jobs) and created a culture of threats and intimidation. Sales team has heavy influences on management and often times the sales team's suggestions would later become company policies across all departments (whether they were wise suggestions or not. Often times not). Management showed heavy favoritism towards certain employees while performing a lot of "blame shifting" towards others. A lot of bad corporate politics involved. Heavy nepotism. The CEO made promises that were not kept. They just experienced a massive layoff in the Fall of 2016; I can only assume that it is because of these awful practices that have been a part of their culture for years. Lastly, the all-hands meeting that is held once a year is a total show for the management and people in-favor to glorify themselves in front of the company while giving an occasional honor to a deserving employee outside of that nepotistic circle.

Advice to Management

No advice that I believe they would take seriously other than this... Treat your employees right and they will treat you right. Remove the culture of favoritism and politics. Reward hard work and take notice of those who make a solid effort to overcome their faults rather than constantly remind them that they had those faults in the first place.