Capitol Autism Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Jenise Shin-Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "First Impression: Newly Hired (currently in 90-day introductory period)"

Current Employee - Behavior Technician
    Current Employee - Behavior Technician

I have been working at Capitol Autism Services part-time

Pros

This company is extremely organized with their orientation and training (office or in the field). Highly professional within their policies and deliverance of ethics and job performances from all ends such as scheduling, training, and relationships with one another (supervisor to employee, employee to employee). They seem very empathetic as well from their policies of calling in. I've had bad experiences with other companies unable to understand employees run into mishaps and trouble pertaining to outside of work. Love their Open Door Policy, which encourages employees to come forward for any concerns to maintain a healthy and positive environment.

Cons

This company does take regulations of rule very seriously, and therefore, may seem extremely strict. Requesting time off may be difficult as there is a tedious process of, first, to be able to coordinate with clients and other employees to construct a plan to a make up of future hours canceled/rescheduled prior to time off, second, documents to fill out in regards to the time off, and third, then send the TOR document with the document of plan of making up the hours to then get approved. This company also required CPR certification but it wasn't so bad of a certification to earn when it comes to time and effort consumption in the training period.

Advice to Management

Possible decrease in difficulty of TOR process.

2. "Its a tough job."

Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capitol Autism Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the kids and their families! The majority of my supervisors were awesome to work with as well.

Cons

Low pay. I got my college degree during my employment and only received a dollar raise, doing the same job high schooler graduates do.
    Not a lot of opporutnities to move up in the company.
    When I put in my two weeks notice, I was met with a lot of passive aggression from the people higher up. This was a great job while I was still a student, but I couldn't be expected to stay there forever, especially as a college graduate only receiving 15$ an hour. HR was "attempting" to get me to stay but didn't seem willing to actually do much, like give me a raise.
    This job is emotionally taxing. It can be super fun but it's definitely tough. It's very easy to wear yourself out, especially working full time.
    I'm very sad to be looking for another job. I wish they would care and compensate their employees more. This position is very replaceable, and they definitely treated us like that.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. It's a tough job and especially those with a college degree deserve higher pay.

3. "Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capitol Autism Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with clients and their families was rewarding. Supervisors, schedulers, and clinic staff were supportive.

Cons

Not enough support in crisis situations, short hours, limited opportunities for advancement, low pay

Advice to Management

Increase pay and hours, provide more in-field training for new employees

"Instructional Assistant"

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capitol Autism Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have some great staff who truly have the best interest of the kids. This school makes a difference in the students lives.

Cons

They do not appreciate employees and Land Park Campus NEVER gives raises. The school needs more BCBA's on campus in order to provide a good behavior intervention plans. The school and company is more considered with making money than investing in their students and staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and start putting more money into your students and staff. If you do this, you will have a lower staff turnover rate.

5. "Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capitol Autism Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids you work with are amazing, it really makes you happy when you see that they are doing better and learning new skills. Paid mileage. You learn patience and understanding. Some consultants are very nice and helpful while they train you to get to know your client. Parents are also very kind and willing to help out during the lessons.

Cons

-it can be stressful to work with your client at times because of behavior problems.
    Office would close at 5:45pm instead of 6pm as they should so I couldn't turn in time sheets on time and instead gave to consultant.
    -Getting hours is hard. Seems like they have a preference for certain ABA Tutors, they expect you to have a certain amount of hours yet when you ask for a weekend shift they give it to someone else instead.
    - got fired for not choosing a shift, when I had actually requested various different shifts but they were taken. I couldn't choose certain others because I had another job and the hours interfered. They made it seem like I never bothered to communicate with them when I had clearly told them I had another job.

Advice to Management

Provide more training or opportunities to those that really want to gain experience. It's not fair that only those that have been there longer get the weekend or closes shifts while the new ones are stuck with weird hours and far locations. Don't close earlier than what is expected. Not everyone can easily drive all the way to Sacramento just to turn in paperwork.

6. "Behavior Technician"

Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capitol Autism Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great mileage and great assistance from BCBA's and consultants

Cons

Difficult to make up canceled hours.

Advice to Management

Have alternative/side projects for employees.

7. "Great company."

Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA

Pros

great company, friendly employees, dedicated team, good training

Cons

sometimes communication issues between BCBA's and us

8. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Capitol Autism Services full-time

Pros

Great intro training and ongoing support is provided to all employees
    Opportunity for growth is there, but you have to earn it
    Flexible schedules and great work-life balance

Cons

Sometimes members of the management/admin team are not on the same page when it comes to procedures and decision making

9. "Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Behavior tutors receive great support from supervisors and other team members

Cons

Low hourly pay, low mileage reimbursement

Advice to Management

Be more aware of staff members' situations

10. "Solid company with great employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capitol Autism Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work that matters. A great executive team that is driven to create a quality of life paradigm for the individuals we serve. Terrific and talented employees who deeply care about their work and about the families/clients they serve.

Cons

Would like to see more transparency and less compartmentalization from the company Directors. They need to be able to balance paper work with allotted time to devote to employees.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and understand that motivation and inspiration can be a great motivator for employees.Employee recognition should not be limited to all-clinic meetings.

Capitol Autism Services Response

Nov 5, 2014 – Social Media

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to be as transparent as possible with our employees at all levels. Employee recognition is something that should always be utilized by all managers... More