Capstone Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"MassMutual Brokerage"

Current Employee - Brokerage Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brokerage Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional setting, strong company with solid products.

Cons

Brokerage is an independent operation outside the career agency formula.

2. "Just another scheme."

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can get started within 3 months and you have lots of friends and family that need the service you can make some good money and if you keep having prospects appear from nothing you can be very successful. Nice office and the location is great. Flexible with your schedule.

Cons

start up costs hefty. Hefty like that chick you took home freshman year of college and lied to all your friends about. office filled with a bunch of beta guys who will sell friends and family to make commission. It costs a ton of money to get started and you have to sell your close social circle to get going before 2 months. No income for a while. Costs 95$ a month to park close. Might have to work early on Saturday's to impress management.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with the people you interview.

"Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Massmutual is a solid insurance company.

Cons

Management used to be much better. Current management only interested in hiring and promoting family members. Doesn't spend any money on agents.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. There are some cool people that work there and the company Christmas party was fun. All of the McCray's are great people and I see them all as running the company for years to come.

Cons

No pay. Low commission. They charge you to sit at a desk and use their printers. Constantly trying to get you to call friends and family to sell life insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary and don't make false promises.

"Perfect for my personality"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endless earning potential
    Tons of support from senior advisors/GA
    Fun/competitive environment
    Great location in Buckhead

Cons

The start is the hardest part- long hours initially, prospecting is tough at first. Improves after a couple of months of experience!

"Best decision of my life"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like there are several areas that I consider a Pro that others may not. You have the freedom of everything with Capstone; ability to create your own schedule, work with a team of more Senior advisors, learn at your pace - (with mandatory training weekly), no ceiling on your income with a residual income building after your first year.

You truly get to take on an entrepreneur experience with the backing of a fortune 100 company (MassMutual). As an advisor your clients get flexibility as well, what I mean by that is once you join the firm and are fully licensed (Life/Health, Series 6/63-can also get 65/66/7 and CFP)(Company reimbursed up to $2000 in year 1) you get to work much like an independent. As an advisor you have access to 80+ different insurance companies and with MML as a broker you are completely flexible and have seemingly unlimited resources for investments. For your clients you can either charge a fee or not charge a fee based on what the client needs/wants (with appropriate licenses of course).

On top of all of this you have some nice benefits. 401K (Roth and Traditional) - with a Match after you qualify (5%), a PENSION, health insurance is subsidized (not sure on % but I don't pay much for my entire family - $180/m), they also have a HSA that they will give you up to $1000/year if you complete their monthly health assessments.

Lastly, you can qualify for bonus' yearly (that could more than double your salary if you do well enough) and 4 trips that the company sponsors for you AND YOUR FAMILY!

Cons

Again, depending on how you view a career the pro's can be the con's. For example, commission driven with no base salary (residual starts in year 2) - I see this as a plus, others may not.

With flexibility comes risk, if you don't put in the work you will fail. There is only so much that management can do to help. You have to take the responsibility for your own success.

Advice to Management

You have the start of a great management team in place. Keep developing and working to improve the first few months of a new advisors experience. Keep building the culture the way you have so far and this company will be in a great spot in a few years.

7. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You work with great people, and are able to work closely with top advisers.

Cons

It was strictly commission based

Advice to Management

Help employees get on their feet

"Lots of promises, but very little payoff"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some really cool people while I was here. If I ever needed help, there were plenty of people willing to guide me to the correct answer. If you work there for more than 4 years, you will definitely see the financial payoff. They also throw pretty fun parties.

Cons

The management has a "drink the kool aid" approach with their employees. After your first interview, you will have very little idea what exactly will be required of you in the position. Then, they will attempt to tell you that you are a financial adviser for these clients that you are bringing in. At the end of the advisement process, you will come to learn that this job is about one thing and one thing only....SELLING LIFE INSURANCE. They will mold the selling of life insurance into many different things until you agree that selling life insurance to these people is the most beneficial thing that will ever happen in their lives. To make the situation worse, the first thing they want you to do when you start the job is to create a list of 10 close family members and successful friends and cold call them to come and have a meeting with you. This is when you are completely unqualified to manage someone's money. It creates awkward situations between you and family members/friends. To top all of these things off, this job is strictly commission. When I say strictly commission, I mean it took me 4 months to make a paycheck and I worked my butt off (60 hrs a week) for 4 months and did everything that was asked of me. You have to pay to park at the office. $70 a month. You even have to pay to sit at your desk. What does that mean? You have to pay a monthly amount to work in the office and that amount is subtracted from each check that you receive. What if you aren't earning a paycheck? The amount accrues and is subtracted from your paycheck when you finally receive it. Imagine finally getting a paycheck after 4 months and seeing $450 subtracted for "being at work".

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary. You would see a lot less turnover and a lot more happy faces from employees. Also, don't lie. It's life insurance. There's nothing wrong with that, just don't waste people's time.

9. "Good learning experience, but a tough one"

Current Employee - Financial Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High earning ceiling with commission

Cons

Tough to find a customer base

Advice to Management

More training and review of progress

10. "Strong Potential for those that are willing to work"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fin Svcs is a tough biz, if you are willing to pay your dues and do the work, Capstone Financial is the place for you. Excellent resources within the firm to support you, comp program has lots of upside if you keep your activity strong and consistent.

Cons

You are an independent agent, accountability is on your shoulders. Choose to work or not, nobody is busting your chops if you don't.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on growing the firm, need more Sales Managers for support