CaptionCall Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CaptionCall CEO Scott Sorenson
Scott Sorenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have good benefits, flexible schedule" (in 42 reviews)

• "Beneficial technical & telecommunications work that helped the hard of hearing" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "When you move up to full-time, your pay drops" (in 33 reviews)

• "Will have to work weekends at times if full/part time" (in 29 reviews)

1. "Caption Agent, Part Time"

Current Employee - Caption Agent in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Caption Agent in Meridian, ID

I have been working at CaptionCall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very efficient training with tons of resources. This company is very considerate of their employees including a great facility and nice break rooms. Very good at thinking of work flow efficiency! Easy access to get help through online chat and online sources. Thanks for not micro managing us and for trusting your employees with how you trained them.
    Low stress job, free coffee and hot chocolate daily, nice couches to chill on, lots of food assortment to purchase on break, nice decor for a call center, quick communications, very encouraging.

Cons

I wish there were windows nearby the cubicles but it would be impossible since there are so many cubicles. Luckily there are tons of windows in the break rooms.

Advice to Management

Thanks for a great place to work and learn a new skill set. I can sense that you guys care by the way the training went. Thoroughly training employees is a first sign to me that the job will be worth it.

2. "Captioning Agent"

Current Employee - Captioning Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Captioning Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CaptionCall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment, trainers and managers are always very helpful, nice break room.

Cons

There's no windows on the floor.

Advice to Management

I would've liked more Sandbox training before being on the floor.

3. "Low Pay"

I have been working at CaptionCall full-time

Pros

you can pick your schedules and you don't have to talk to anybody, that's about it.

Cons

a lot of micro-managing. very low pay and they give you .07 cent raises for a whole fiscal year. everyone is anti-social that works here, and you share desks with dirty adults who don't like to clean up after themselves. you have scheduled breaks. old people are racist and hateful, so you get to listen to that all day long.

4. "Flexible Schedule"

Former Employee - Communications in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Communications in Meridian, ID

I worked at CaptionCall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Easy work
    Referral bonus

Cons

Low pay Hard to advance
    Limited feedback

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to employees who are trying to advance with the company

5. "Software Does Not Work, Tests Require 92% or higher"

Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CaptionCall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- EMPLOYED YOUTH: management is composed of mostly younger people with a positive outlook on life. No old dogs in management giving youngsters a hard time. A relief in comparison to the other jobs I've worked .
    -GROWTH: Lots of room for advancement , workers are treated with respect by management
    - DIVERSITY: a diversified workforce , not a white washed business
    - FREEDOM: you are allowed to go on the internet during breaks and downtime

Cons

- BAD SOFTWARE : The Dragon voice to text Software is horrible and it is the most important part of our job . Of all the software I've used , this is by far the WORST. It is inaccurate , it freezes up and it glitches on EVERY SINGLE CALL . The job itself is manageable , but the software is NOT!
    - UNFAIR TESTS: We are expected to take tests 3 times a month, scoring a 92% or higher . As you guessed, Dragon software is always screwing up. So while taking the test you will obtain a score lower than what you deserve.
    - TEST SCORES ARE AVERAGED - Instead of using the highest score of the 3 tests you take every month - they are averaged. So if you do poorly on one test (which you will ) , then it will effect your ENTIRE average.

Advice to Management

How can you expect your agents to score a 92% or higher on your tests using a software that does not work?

If you are not going to give us a better software , then lower the test score required to pass . Tests should require an 82% passing score (or less) .

You can continue to blame employees by saying "you aren't training the software enough" or "your dictation isn't clear enough" , but that will not change the quality of your product and the results you will yield.

thank you caption call for this opportunity. I appreciate the job and I want to stay with this company but this is really stressful and hard for all of the wrong reasons .

"Captioning Agent"

Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CaptionCall part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to repeat the callers words verbatim so the deaf person can read it on a screen in his home.

Cons

Repetitive, mostly boring and low pay.

Advice to Management

Give raises so you can keep people working instead of the open door policy. The young ones only stay until they find a better paying job.

"Confusing work environment"

Former Employee - Installation Technician
    Former Employee - Installation Technician

I worked at CaptionCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with folks who are mostly kind.

Meeting with customers face to face and really helping folks.

Cons

Management changed very often due to poor upper management.

Conference calls every week that would change procedures that management had no idea how to implement and thus management would lie to upper management that us installers are the reason the certain criteria was not being met.

Only 1 week of training with 2 installs with a trainer after which I was expected to just "figure it out"

Was told customers come first even though we would blow certain customers off too get bigger numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about numbers and actually care about customers.

"Review"

Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CaptionCall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have good benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

Personally felt it was a terribly boring environment as you do not interact with anyone on the phone and you're basically a robot.
    When I onboarded I also told them I had a vacation coming up and they said it would be no problem but because I didn't call in when my shifts weren't picked up, they considered me a no call no show and I was written up

"Avoid. AVOID."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at CaptionCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Fairly easy job
    * video privileges - previously needing to score well on test calls - now just open all the time regardless of performance
    * very non-discriminatory hiring policy - a few trans folks work here and that's pretty cool
    * lax dress code
    * supervisors are nice enough and won't get in your way if you can do the job

Cons

* the job's a rip-off. minimum wage is going up to $11 next month and the company is seemingly not going to adjust for that for full-time workers, who will still be paid $11 to start like they were two years ago. part time pays slightly better but you're still going to be overworked.

* remember how I said video privileges were open to all? good luck getting to watch anything. expect about 5-10 seconds of downtime between phone calls during peak hours (any weekday from 9-6) and with no real control over the length, speed, or content of phone calls (although you can hand a call off after 20 minutes and take a breather, but if you're logged out too much or hand off too many calls, the supervisors can see that and get on your case about it)

* pay increases are not performance based. don't give them your best. consistently top performer, including an employee of the month bonus, nabbed me an extra 8 cents an hour. tenure bonuses start at a whopping 50 cents / hr after THREE YEARS. sidenote: employee of the month award seemingly dropped entirely sometime in the last six months. management is ramping up the treatment of the employees like a people mill.

* possibly true of any place, but at-will employment is flexed on hard by managers. I know several people who got cut without warning. don't work too hard to make friends here - you'll just as quickly see new faces as you'll stop seeing the old ones, even in the supervisor levels. frequent advancement opportunities and job fairs despite the center frequently being at capacity? there's only one way that's happening: people are getting out, either by low retention or heavy culling

* you're going to hear a lot of racists. you're also going to hear a lot of clowns driving in their cars on highways using bluetooth and cruising through tunnels yelling at their mothers because they can't read the captions because you can't understand what the speaker is saying because they think phoning in from the Bermuda Triangle is the ideal way to have a phone conversation.

* also just by nature of how the program is funded, you're going to hear a lot of people talking about vacations and cruises and trips around the world and the long meaningful lives they've lived while you're paid minimum wage (or slightly above minimum wage if part-time) and probably can't get a full week off to enjoy life while you work here

* speaking of vacations: getting time off is a nightmare scenario unless you're extremely planned ahead. a calendar opens two months before the start of a new year and the entire year is laid out to request time off, and there's probably about 10 or 15 people who can take any given day off, in a company of 500+. want to take off Memorial Day Weekend, 2020? good luck to you and the other 15-20 people who are camping the date sometime in October 2019

* literally the only reason I'm not giving this place one-star is because of the pro-transgender hiring policy because that's just the kind of person I am. support your trans friends. thanks

Advice to Management

If you're going to send out an email saying that you're starting a program to help ensure work-life balance, how about you just pay your full-time dedicated employees a livable wage so we don't have to pick up second jobs on top of the already-40 hours you demand from us???

"great job, low pay"

Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Captioning Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CaptionCall part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the work environment here. My managers and supervisors are some of the best I've ever had. The hours are flexible which is great

Cons

They don't pay a wage you can live off of and nobody gets a pay raise. Minimum wage in the springs has gone up by almost a dollar every year for three years straight yet our pay has stayed exactly the same. Now minimum wage has finally caught up with us. It breaks my heart that I have to find another job because I really like it here, but I can't keep up with the cost of living. Also when you go full time your pay gets docked to even less than the part timers to "make up for benefits" which I personally have never heard of before anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Consider the fact that even a loyal employee who has worked for a long time for this company will have to leave because the pay just isn't enough. I'm not the only loyal employee who's planning on leaving either. Most people I talk to at work are currently looking for something else too. Everyone I've talked too feels expendable.