Cardtronics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cardtronics CEO and Director Steven A. (Steve) Rathgaber
Steven A. (Steve) Rathgaber

Pros
  • The company is small so your voice carries some weight, making it fairly easy to effect change (in 4 reviews)

• Tech staff are very smart, considerate and hard-working folks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I know that is a part of IT, but it's just something worth mentioning when considering salary and work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company does not reward hard work or seem keen to promote employees of pay them well (in 5 reviews)

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Cardtronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular, challenging, interesting, customer interaction.

Cons

Inconsistent expectations. A constantly changing environment

Advice to Management

Provide comsistancy so that the employees can get a sense of normalcy in the office.

"Employees Worked to Death"

I worked at Cardtronics full-time

Pros

can work all the hours you want

Cons

expects too much overtime and working on weekends is almost mandatory

Advice to Management

understand a work life balance concept

"Worse than Expected"

I worked at Cardtronics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement.
    People within your office are friendly.
    The company continues to grow through acquisitions.

Cons

As a Tech Support rep, it was surprising how much our hands were tied and how little information we really had access to. despite needing a spreadsheet for password management and being involved in over 40 unique systems, we had no access to warranty information. Processes change on a weekly basis albeit minor changes. The big wigs are obsessed with their CORE system and refuse to acknowledge there are better options out there, like the systems used by the companies they acquire.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing the number of systems being using and choose systems that can talk to each other.

"Cash Analyst"

Former Employee - Cash Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cash Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Cardtronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is the industry leader and if you are self motivated you will always find a lot more to learn about the compnay

Cons

Micro-management. I was told not to engage with other employees directly but to use email when they were three cubes away. WTF?I would constantly get calls from my manager about where I was at when my Lync showed I was away (after 5 minutes) and I would be working with another coworker to sort out an issue or involved an employee event that she had no notice of because the office was hundreds of miles away. After developing knowledge of all aspects of my particular department I was systematically worked out of the company instead of being given an appropriate raise. No one ever gets raises or bonuses at this company unless they are VP level or higher, but everyone is expected to put in a 45+ hr work week. You will only hear from management (who never trained you) if you make an error. They will never take the time to recognize good employees. I was told by my manager that she would ensure that I do not get promoted or moved to another department.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and start helping with the day today and recognize people who put in superior effort. Nobody cares that you bought a new company, but everyone notices that when record profits are made nobody gets paid extra as thank you. Nobody wants to hear the CEO say thank you for making record profits. Real thank yous are said with $$$.

6. "Light at the end of the tunnel MAY not be a train..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Cardtronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good salary
    - Good benefits (insurance/PTO)
    - Tech staff are very smart, considerate and hard-working folks...I'm proud to work with them.
    - Leadership seems to be addressing some of the process short-comings in the way we have been doing things.

Cons

- We are over two years into off-shoring some of our tech resources and there isn't much improvement in quality or quantity of output.
    - Your core SME's are still filling in the gaps by training/re-training the revolving door of that overseas contract. Pulling an average of 60 hours per week, up to 80 during on call rotation.
    - On call rotation forces you to give up an extra month of your personal time per year by staying close to logging in within a few minutes. I know that is a part of IT, but it's just something worth mentioning when considering salary and work/life balance. The amount of time spent on call will vary from team to team.

Advice to Management

Enough with the off-shoring! It's not working. Admit defeat and hire some local, quality people that have a stake in the welfare of this company. People that will want to stick around for the long haul. You can find junior folks willing to work all shifts to cover all the time zones.

"Good company, but room for improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cardtronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to grow due to many departments handling different areas of the business. Good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

A lot of favoritism. Depending on the manager, one was either micro-managed or not managed at all. It was hard to know if you were doing well or not either due to not being trusted with their decision making ability or lack of resources when help was needed.

Advice to Management

Find a better balance in management styles and dealing with different personalities and skill levels.

"Cash Management Analyst"

Current Employee - Cash Management Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cash Management Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cardtronics (More than a year)

Pros

The positive work environment people provide.

Cons

Working odd days and hours of the week.

Advice to Management

Employees are important

9. "This company loves to offshore jobs. They are willing to cycle thru offshore worker to skip labor laws."

Pros

Incompetent offshore team. Everyone is leaving and constant revolving employees. reactionary management style no real long term strategy. Cheap equipment and outdated tools to do your job. No real investment in people, everything is just for show

Cons

Too many to list here. The top leaders in charge of Frisco are all delusional and clueless except for the very few old timers. If the manager is hired in the last few years they are clueless. A bunch of monkeys pushing the button because daddy said so.

Advice to Management

Good job if your goal is to run the company to the ground........that is the goal right?

10. "Chronically Understaffed and Fundamentally Dishonest"

Current Employee - Declined in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Declined in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Cardtronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay scale is good and benefits, including medical, dental and vision plans are above average to good. Much of the staff works very hard and helps each other, but this does not compensate adequately for being treated so poorly in an uphill battle to satisfy requisite functions to serve clients.

Cons

This company will sign employees up for a 401K plan without the employee consent. The tools (Applications) are mostly wholly inadequate down to painful to use. Merchant clients are signed up for programs, such as AllPoint, without their consent. This program allows certain users to withdraw cash without a Surcharge, but the Merchants are not told about this up front. The Sales Department frequently has commissions withheld or reduced with little notice and no choice. Cardtronics treats customers and employees shamefully and I would not recommend working here, unless you're desperate. Employment here is a revolving door, where people are so fed up that they leave, even though they do not have a new job to go to.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees so poorly and customers like Cash Cattle. Upper Management desperately needs to realize that "The Corporate Way" does not have to result in a circular firing squad. Figure out the fact that for a company to excel, they need to stop making their own lives easy.

"Improve Company Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cardtronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management was very fake and the company culture was terrible. Really need to do a better job at corporate outlook.

Cons

No raises, no direction from management. You get told you're doing something wrong after the fact without being told how to do it right.

Advice to Management

Better training for employees, more company events, make it clear that you care about your work force as they are the backbone of the company. Also, realize that ATMs are a dying industry and being to diversify.