CareEvolution Reviews | Glassdoor

CareEvolution Reviews

Updated Nov 26, 2018

Found 18 reviews

4.8
  1. "I'm so glad I work here!"

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Autonomous work environment - I can opt to take more responsibility along with the freedom to take risks; no micromanagement! - Great work opportunities with excellent exposure and learning - Salaries above the market average - CareManagement chooses stunning colleagues; I am constantly impressed with the smart, thoughtful people I work with on a daily basis

Cons

- Flat organizational structure and autonomous work culture isn't for everyone - you must be a self-motivated person to succeed

CareEvolution2018-11-26

"Just Wow"

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

4 years in, I'm still amazed at the opportunities I've been given here. Amazing coworkers, meaningful work, excellent pay, and freedom from dysfunctional management.

Cons

Long term self management is more challenging than I expected—but it would be hard to go back to a traditional setting. Everyone is exposed to decision making ambiguity that normally only the highest leaders deal with, and that can be stressful. And while we don't have managers or departmental tussles, we do have to deal with customers who can be more tyrannical or recalcitrant in their way than any management.

CareEvolution2018-09-21

"On all levels, the best company I've ever worked at."

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Brilliant, team oriented and humble co-workers => Check - Fascinating problems to solve, from challenging to impossible => Check - Freedom to chose what to work on, from a wide spectrum of technologies / functions => Check - Great culture of trust, fun, hard and meaningful work => Check - No managers, remote friendly environment, best tools money can buy, hackathons, fun gatherings => Check... - Successful, respected, very solid and expanding company => Check - Best boss ever... Just don't say "boss", he doesn't adhere to the concept => Check I could go on and on...

Cons

Couldn't find any in the 4 years I've been working there... But you have to make sure you are comfortable working in a remote environment

CareEvolution2018-09-17

"A Company that treats you like an adult"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Work on things that interest you, not what you're told to work on. - Be trusted to make decisions - Working with other smart, motivated people - Focus on product, not profit - Company culture is positive, open, and engaging

Cons

- Working remotely can be isolating; despite there being a large percentage of remote employees, it can feel like the home office employees have a large advantage in being "in the know." - Learning curve of the software and product domain can be high. - Lack of an actual HR department can make insurance, retirement, etc sorts of decisions and information confusing (have to be very self sufficient).

Advice to Management

- Continue working on getting remote employees involved. - Work hard to maintain the atmosphere as the company grows

CareEvolution2018-09-17
  5. "High-trust environment with some insanely bright colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for less than a year

Pros

CareEvolution's management premise is simple: Hire trustworthy people, and then trust them to do what they think is best for the company and its customers. In addition to really smart technologists, CareEvolution also has a lot of people with real-world healthcare experience, from in-the-trenches nursing to VP-level positions. Our discussions are frequently more about healthcare than they are about software—which... is exactly how it should be. We're given an incredible amount of autonomy regarding hours, location, vacations, and the like. People here deeply care about making healthcare better.

Cons

Remote work can be isolating. While everyone is friendly and open, often times people unintentionally end up keeping to themselves. Unsurprisingly, there is an informal structure of influence: certain people have more sway for any given domain. However, this is probably inevitable—and formal organizations have these informal structures, too (in addition to the official, formal ones). The lack of structure is... daunting. Not having formal feedback loops allows a lot of negative self-talk to seep in. Imposter syndrome thrives here. Without a formal architectural review process, the stack can get a bit fragmented. At times, it can be difficult to know what work is truly most important. The SNR for information can be quite low.

Advice to Management

Perhaps try to come up with ways to more consistently provide context about the business and its priorities. Above all, maintain our culture of trust.

6. "Fabulous People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There's an abundance of talented employees. The company is really dedicated to improving healthcare - it's not just lip service. Lots of clinical experience. Employees have a ton of autonomy in determining what to work on, what tools to use, how they work, etc. The company is fully committed to remote work and about half the company is remote.

Cons

With a flat hierarchy and no formal feedback, sometimes it's hard to know how you're doing. Almost everyone has imposter syndrome at one point or another. The lack of dedicated support personnel (like HR/IT) can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture.

CareEvolution2018-09-18

"Review as an SWE Intern"

Software Engineer(Internship) in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at CareEvolution for less than a year

Pros

People - everyone is kind and accommodating and willing to help out! Learned so much in a short amount of time Balance - great work-life balance, felt energized coming into work every day Work - work on interesting technical problems. Also learned a lot about healthcare as a whole

Cons

No cons, had a great experience

CareEvolution2018-05-16

"Great Culture / Remote Work"

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time

Pros

Fully remote Great benefits Amazing company culture Choose your own projects

Cons

Healthcare industry is exhausting If you're looking to climb a ladder, look elsewhere

CareEvolution2017-05-17

"Fantastic company"

Software Architect

I have been working at CareEvolution for more than a year

Pros

Full remote. No management dictating your every move. Choose your own projects and teams. Use whatever technologies you decide on as a team. Hackathons are really fun. You must be self-motivated and self-managing. If you need someone to tell you what to do every day then you probably won't fit in. I consider this a pro but some may consider it a con.

Cons

Full remote can definitely lead to a feeling of being disconnected.

CareEvolution2016-08-31

"A wonderful environment"

I have been working at CareEvolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The person in charge of CareEvolution really understands that software development is ultimately a creative endeavor. And like all creative endeavors, it requires enthusiasm and open-mindedness to thrive. Employees are driven to create their own opportunities...find work that challenges and excites them...and to develop a passion for the domain. Commonly, there's a sense that work is something you have to do,... while your personal life is something that you get to do. Essentially, CareEvolution strives to make work something you *get* to do...and not in a creepy overbearing corporate way.

Cons

Participating in such a company isn't always easy, especially for our many remote employees. It's hard work always being self-directed and it's no small thing to be given control over so many aspects of your role. It's perfectly reasonable to prefer a hierarchically structured organization and working under an experienced manager. But CareEvolution does not offer that.

Advice to Management

When there are no managers, everyone's a manager. So this is really for everyone. The company's grown a lot lately. It's easy for a company to lose it's identify...it's always worthwhile to review our notes on company values and identify areas to strengthen.

CareEvolution2016-07-14