Cover image for Checkout.com

Finance

2m

a

Commercial Customer Service Representative

What’s the best way to have a lack of compensation and incentive conversation in your department? I went above and beyond for years doing extra work, organizations etc and nothing has been reflected in pay. I thought my 5 year was going to finally show something but it did not. I’ve inquired about pay but it’s gotten nowhere.

12 Comments

Finance

140.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Checkout.com~837487
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Checkout.com? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Checkout.com employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Managers often can’t share why certain decision have been made.(in 13 reviews)
  • "Bottom lin: Bad Management, Inexperienced Team Leaders Big Egos from fish in small pond who became suddenly big.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Just announced layoffs officially and in our cohort's first two months on the job 8 people from the local office were fired for a variety of spurious reasons all but one of whom were ever given a warning prior to their sacking.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Better training could be given for people from a non(in 4 reviews)
  • "The leadership team in Singapore is disrespectful and always playing politics(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very solid company - rapidly changing

Oct 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of change in the last year - but I believe mostly for the better. Many new legitimate leaders from big companies who are shaking things up and bringing in the some world class experience and process improvements. This is creating some stir, but i really believe that once we get through some of the noise it should be on the right track. I am proud to work here and help solve some of these problems. In a few years I really believe this will be a world class company.

Cons

Things move fast - but a bit of whiplash. Lots of opportunity for growth. Managers need work but they are rolling out lots of new learning and training for them.

1 person found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

It’s brilliant to read about the trajectory you see for Checkout. Please keep the feedback coming through upcoming surveys. And thank you for everything you contribute to the company.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Workplace culture that's embarrassingly terrible

Jan 31, 2023 - Anonymous
    Business Outlook

Pros

We finally have gym benefits

Cons

chatGPT can create a better framework on how to run a company and manage its employee base than leadership at checkout.. expect constant changes in processes (seriously on a daily basis) complete lack of actual people management skills and a high turn over rate here.. rigid/stifling corporate culture is not meant for people looking to actually develop their careers and grow professionally.. the performance review process (conducted biannually, takes 4 months per cycle to complete) has been a disaster for managers being left little to no say on outcomes of their team.. i’ve yet to witness a company steer this far away from its values and people centric approach as much as this place has

15 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Checkout.com team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Work smart and hard and you can do well here.

Oct 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a great pace here at Checkout, it's fast and promotes iterative work. As an employee here, you have the opportunity to do solid work if you are willing to push yourself. I have found the culture to foster a high caliber and amount of work which one could get lost in if not careful. The company promotes wellness and my experience it does stand behind this, allowing for employees to try to balance work and life responsibilities. The bigger message here, is that this place is great for people who take responsibility for themselves and own their work.

Cons

There are some growing pains around moving away from "start-up" and towards growth. Letting go of the old ways can be a challenge for some.

1 person found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

It’s great to see that you’re having such a positive experience. All feedback from colleagues is really helpful for us, so keep it coming through upcoming surveys and don’t hesitate to reach out to your HR Business Partner. Thanks for everything you do at Checkout.

5. 1.0

Dishonest and shady

Aug 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing positive to say here.

Cons

US is struggling and management and the sales are a dumpster fire. This company overhired and is firing people left and right. Management holds meetings telling people not to worry about job security but has fired someone every week for the last month. Some of these people were extremely popular and successful. Seems like they overspend are are trying to avoid using the term “layoffs”. Vps don’t know how to run a sales team. Training is poor, suggestions are brushed off until an upper management suggests the same ideas. There is no organization and no one knows what’s going on. People are burnt out and exhausted and scared for their future. Management says one thing and then blatantly does the opposite the following week. Extremely unprofessional yet very calculating. Trust is not there. Strong presence internationally but clearly doesn’t know how to build a team out in the states. People aren’t treated equally and there are no protocols in place. People are googling to find leads and the bdr team has no concept of professionalism within prospecting. A shame because the international side seems well polished but the us offices are a joke. Hr takes the time to respond to negative reviews but doesn’t take the time to address the issues within.

25 people found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

Dear colleague, We're sorry to hear that your experiences as an employee are not positive. The US is one of our fastest-growing regions globally, and we're committed to building the best culture we can across all regions. Please do share any additional feedback as appropriate through your HR Business Partner. Thanks, The People Team

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastically dysfunctional

Sep 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Onboarding is great with thought and details and follow up

Cons

- no probationary review, alignment on goals. Review by manager was petty and without any write up or recognition of actual business cases or projects worked on - feedback was arbitrary - equity was to be a benefit for all an and Coincidentally with the need to lay off 5% of staff per financial outlets reporting - this is truly higher because some were told it was because of performance and the cases is weak - systems are a mess. Expense systems, travel systems, IT is a absolute nightmare outside of tech in Mauritius to get anything done. You will drown in tickets. - beautiful class A $123 square foot NYC office and free lunch - but lay offs? Mismanage much? - -

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Exhausting

Oct 7, 2022 - Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generally nice and clever people Nice offices

Cons

- My mental health suffered whilst at Checkout and by the time I left I was unhappy and burned out. The workload and hours required are unsustainable. Checkout spend a lot of time talking about mental health but don't do the one thing which would actually improve people's mental health, which is to ensure that workloads are reasonable/ sustainable. - Working is day is 9-6 which is unusually long (and that is still not long enough to do your work!) - So many meetings, so little time left to work - Brutal performance reviews with many excellent people unfairly given low ratings. - Recently made 100 people redundant en masse on a video call, a horrible way to manage bad news. Avoidable, too, if they hadn't enthusiastically overhired all year - No transparency about company results/ performance. - Equity package that was awarded recently is going to be pretty much worthless and based on an inflated company valuation. They try to make everyone feeling like they're part of this amazing journey, and everyone works so hard to meet the company's goals, but none of the regular employees are going to win financially from Checkout's success. And that's fine, but just be honest about it rather than trying to push this culture of 'we're all in it together on this exciting journey'. A few at the top will get hugely wealthy, the rest of the company will get burnout and nothing to show for it. - Existing employees struggle to get paid market rate, pay rises are severely even when promoted. Leaving is more lucrative for most. - Bonuses inconsistently awarded, if at all - People get fired for unproven allegations about inappropriate behaviour. Therefore people are super-worried about saying something that could be interpreted as offensive so regular social interaction can feel strained and awkward. - Staff turnover is high, many people will leave within their first year or less. Many people leave without something to go to because they are burned out - Reviews on here are skewed towards the positive as they push people to write reviews at the end of the (very good) induction programme. They will respond and say that they're only asking people to review the onboarding process, but that definitely isn't how it comes across. The honeymoon period wears off FAST - I should have left sooner, not sure how I stayed so long, but my health and happiness have transformed now I'm out!

44 people found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

Hi there, We’re sorry to hear that your experience whilst you were with us wasn’t more positive. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we will be sure to pass this onto the relevant teams. Wishing you all the best for the future.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don’t hop on the toxic rocket ship

Oct 31, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a few good people remaining at the company

Cons

Leadership- senior leadership is inexperienced in scaling a company. They lack clear instruction and direction to carry out okrs and when they feel the heat from the E team, they make sure that their teams feel it too. Instead of empowering the teams to prioritize work to align with strategic initiatives, managers start to micro manage their team. Large workload- As the company attempts to scale, employees are asked to do more work. The amount of work is the work of 2-3 people so no one is able to do great work which causes stress and subpar work throughout the company. High turnover- Throughout this summer till now people were let go. Then in September they did a zoom layoff of around 100 employees. Besides those layoffs people are leaving and they aren’t hiring to replace at a fast pace. Burnout- There are company surveys to pulse check morale. Leadership consistently sees a dip in employee engagement. They say they “we hear you” about concerns and are working to fix the trends, but nothing has been done. Performance reviews- They do performance reviews subjectively. The rating is a number scale out of 5. Even if you receive a high rating, the merit and bonus doesn’t cover inflation. If you are a leader, you don’t have a say in what your team gets as the rating is passed down from senior leadership who hasn’t seen the teams entire workload and day to day initiatives. UK centric- They talk about being a global company, but the work day revolves around the UK with other countries taking early and late calls to accommodate their schedule. Equity- A benefit that is frequently discussed is equity but it’s inflated at a high rate that it would be hard for most of their workforce to afford. Also equity is not gifted, you are only granted options to purchase.

28 people found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

We’re sorry to read that your experience during your time with us wasn’t more positive. Thanks for sharing your feedback and we wish you all the best in the future.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A place for people looking to embrace growth

Jul 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exponential opportunity for professional growth Firsthand experience in a high-growth company Exceptional access and visibility to company leadership Outstanding network of coworkers and managers who you can build meaningful relationships with (and want to hang out with outside of work) Great benefits and comp Hybrid model allows for office work and at-home work Pet friendly Catered lunches

Cons

While the high-growth is a pro for people looking to experience multiple stages of business growth, it can also be a con if you don't thrive in uncertainty or quickly changing environments. Because the company is so global, navigating time zones for meetings can be tricky at times and I often wish I could see my international coworkers in person more than I do

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Worst company I’ve worked at

Nov 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

No goals! You can basically coast in your role here

Cons

Lack luster leadership. Management’s solution to diversity and equality is creating events where they attend to show their presence but in reality they treat women and other minorities as disposable individuals.

19 people found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

Thanks for sharing your feedback and we’re sorry to see that you’re not having a more positive experience with us. We take your comments onboard, and if you have more to share, please reach out to your HR Business Partner, or use your next pulse survey.

11. 2.0

Unfocused leadership

Oct 14, 2022 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great cash compensation, great offices

Cons

Leadership is unfocused - going to be a serious impact as they scale. Benefits are weak. Only offer equity to senior employees. Overall, wouldn't recommend.

17 people found this review helpful

Checkout.com Response

Hi there, Thank you for your feedback and we’re sorry to hear that you’re not having a more positive experience. We take your comments onboard, and if you have anything else you’d like to share, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your HRBP.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 388 Reviews
</>Embed

Checkout.com Reviews FAQs

Checkout.com has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 413 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Checkout.com to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -20% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Checkout.com employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Checkout.com. This rating has decreased by -15% over the last 12 months.

67% of Checkout.com employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Checkout.com 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Checkout.com to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Checkout.com Job Seekers