Chemonics International Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2020

3.5
Chemonics International President and CEO Susanna Mudge
Susanna Mudge
Pros
  • "Competitive in salary scale, very well governance in project management(in 32 reviews)

• "Opportunities to travel are abundant typically after one's year mark at the company (though I've seen new associates travel within their first month)(in 28 reviews)

"Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Great capacity building through hands on experience for anyone who's willing to put in the work. Great people to work with - people who are passionate about being catalysts for change in the world. Executive management team who care about their staff. Great benefits and acceptable salaries.

Cons

Lacks formal leadership training at all levels. Easily allows for poor work/life balance.

Continue reading
  2. "Good company to launch international development career"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Very busy day to day

3. "REVIEW"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Flexibility inside the company. One can move around across departments easily

Cons

low salaries, no pay for overtime. Workload

4. "Okay"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities for travel, lots of training available.

Cons

Long hours during proposal efforts especially.

5. "Great company to begin one's career"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

There are lots of growth opportunities

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge

6. "Good experience, poor work like balance"

2.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Good development industry experience. Gain knowledge of USAID processes.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Big emphasis on meeting project budgets rather than actual development impact.

7. "Be prepared to be a cog in the machine"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of professional development. Learn tons about USAID, business development, project management

Cons

It's a machine where personal expression and ideas are not particularly encouraged. It can feel overwhelmingly large and easy to get lost.

"Chemonics Review"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pros: great opportunities; smart, ambitious employees; clear systems

Cons

cons: often overworked for little pay

9. COVID-19

"Worst Place I Have Ever Worked"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros

None come to mind. I wake up from nightmares that I still work here with jaw pain and stomachaches.

Cons

Where do I even begin? This is the downright most hostile and toxic workplace I've worked in, ever. If you are reading this, don't look away, HR floods this place with positive reviews but the low ones are telling the truth. While I worked there I was bullied, gaslighted, and so stressed I had to start seeking therapy. If upper management decides they like you, then you're set. If not, which forever reason, I was not, they will make your life miserable until you quit or are let go. You cannot trust anyone here to tell you the truth, that is if anyone even talks to each other in your region. The office does not encourage friendly co-mingling and will make mention of work/life balance, while assigning you so much work you simply cannot leave before 7:30. Working there, as many of my colleagues have mentioned, is like being in an abusive relationship. They will overwork you, ignore your concerns (if you're brave enough to raise them), and gaslight you into thinking that you are the problem. They try and sweeten the deal with travel opportunities but with COVID-19, I would doubt that being their "get out of jail free" card. It's a super homogenous culture of white 20 somethings all competing for what exactly, I'm not sure. Despite working in countries across the world, the staff is overwhelmingly white, myself included. The few BIPOC who are hired are stuck at lower management at best, or a support division. The "important" roles are all white men, maybe a few women who only help uphold the oppressive and toxic work environment. You will be expected to work nights and weekends and refusal to do so or have any form of work/life balance will end up in you being actively blockaded from opportunities for growth. You will be laughed at for going on vacation or utilizing your vacation time when sick. I actively had people tell me that I went out of office too much because I took one week long vacation. You will be micro-managed within an inch of your life here, and expected to take it and be grateful to work here. There are much better and more profitable companies to work at in international development, and Chemonics is a sinking ship. They will pay you more and respect your personal growth and development. Do not work here unless you'd like to try and find an available therapist in the Washington, D.C. metro area.

Continue reading

"Pretty corporate feel"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities (although often you are too busy to take advantage of them)

Cons

They hire highly qualified people for low level positions and do not make much effort to enhance their skills or encourage them to stay, many people leave after a year

Found 321 reviews