Chemonics International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Chemonics International President and CEO Susanna Mudge
Susanna Mudge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of opportunities for recognition and little bonuses" (in 21 reviews)

• "Great travel opportunities, purpose-driven organization, learn ins and outs of project management" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, most people at the company struggle with work/life balance" (in 47 reviews)

• "long hours, promotions are not transparent, tendency to take advantage of hard workers" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Staying until retirement"

Current Employee - Manager in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Reviews are based on soft skills, as well as hard: If you're strategic and take initiative, accept responsibility, take on learning opportunities, treat others with respect, and are a person of integrity--and you can do your work by deadline and with high quality, you'll do well here.
    2. It has a great ramp-up program to give each employee a solid knowledge foundation in their department and role. The learning program is generous, and it offers in-office courses, as well as online courses and now a mini-masters program (certificate, not degree).
    3. Benefits are great, and health insurance covers domestic partners. It also offers varieties of insurance (life, ltd, std, dental, vision, health ....), flex time/WAH, commute $, and more.
    4. Honest, open communication. I was surprised to get companywide emails that detailed the agenda for an executive meeting, as well as a recap of what was discussed. While I'm sure there were some confidential details left out of communication, the openness and honesty here from execs is refreshing.
    5. I recently worked in a company where the executives were abusive and promoted a "throw someone under the bus" mentality. Chemonics is like the loving foster mom for me after that experience. BONUS: I'm doing something toward world good, instead of putting money into the pockets of the shady businesses my previous association served.

Cons

Nothing yet. I have been a job hopper all my life, looking for a company like this. I think I could stay until retirement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Work hard, but make a difference"

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

It is a great company that is focused on solving the worlds greatest challenges. The people are what make it a great place to work, and are supported by strong systems and processes. Those people are also the owners of the company, which means everyone is all in. The strategic focus on the global workforce is having a positive impact on the company, and it is great to see people like me in leadership roles. With recent additions well over half the executive team are women and people of color, and about a quarter are natives of developing countries.

Cons

People work hard, and it can be overly bureaucratic at times, but that comes with the territory of being funded largely by the US government and other donors.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on the strategic plan. Investments in global workforce, digital transformation, and knowledge are paying off.

"Good exposure and opportunities for project management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always opportunities for growth and change; projects in several sectors and most geographies, so something for everyone; great for gaining project management and business development experience. Fairly transparent leadership and overly committed to processes (in mostly a good way).

Cons

Large company, so work experience really depends on what region/division you work in (can vary a lot). Difficult for early and mid-career employees to find the time and opportunities to engage in technical work that is of interest to them as time/energy is consumed by project management (likely on a project you are not interested in technically) - although there are efforts to address this. Also, most people at the company struggle with work/life balance.

4. "Big Company, Room for Improvement, but Needs to Fix its Culture"

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to grow within the company.
    Very forward looking and innovative.
    The people are really the best part about working here. Chemonics employees are great mentors, professional, intelligent, enthusiastic and genuinely passionate about international development.

Cons

Can be hard to navigate through the bureacracy
    Pay is not great for associates

Advice to Management

Stop valuing "loyalty" over qualifications skill, and competence.
    Require "Project Managers" to actually have project management skills (PMP, Agile, etc)
    Reward employees who make an effort to acquire new skills (language, certificates, etc)
    Get rid of arbitrary titles

"associate"

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

professional growth, great supervisor and coworkers

Cons

average salary, need better work/life balance

"Program Management Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to travel or perform short term assignments outside of one's main job description. Opportunity to move around and gain lots of different skill sets. Company training program. Travel opportunities.

Cons

For some, it can be hard to move up and receive salary compensation for the work and level at which you really are.

7. "Practice what you preach"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to get promoted and get raises and the pay is generally higher than other USAID contractors.

Cons

There are a lot of diversity issues still going on here.

Advice to Management

Take people'e HR reports seriously. Chemonics is supposed to be changing the world, but it won't be able to do that with bad people on the inside.

"Accounts Payable"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with deep pockets. Low salaries but great benefits. Monthly lunches. They promote growth so they pay for certifications and what not. In-house training on different areas of project management. Travel if you get a chance.

Cons

Chemonics is a bit bureaucratic. There is a fair amount of favoritism and racism in the company. If you are a minority then moving up the ladder can be 3X as hard as a white MALE. You will make it to the manager position and max to a director position. Beyond that it's all white males. They will have a white female at the upper level every now and then to spice-up things a bit but that's about it. They were even written up by the department of labor in 2016 (google it) for discriminating against black applications at the executive level. For a company that has 3500 employees that is something.

9. "ACCOUNTING MANAGER"

I worked at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

There is good benefits

Cons

There is no life balance

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Honor the culture and core values that you present.

10. "I worked at Chemonics as a practice Intern"

I worked at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Great staff, lots of areas for growth and learning opportunities

Cons

As an intern, I was not around long enough to identify any as I was only at the home office for 10 weeks