Chemonics International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

I had at least 4 interviews and a written exam before getting an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview process was not transparent, and very rushed. In my initial phone interview, the interviewer was an entry-level associate from another department and wasn't able to tell me much about the open position, nor about the company without a script. This company is an international development firm, yet being based in a developing country, I found the process to be very unaccommodating to those based outside of the USA. Interviews were scheduled at very inconvenient times, a skills test required internet access and had a time limit, paperwork had to be sent to headquarters in DC. Some interview questions included providing definitions of integrity, leadership, other pillars of the organization, and some ambiguous questions. Skills test included a budget and contract analysis, and a professional memo. Language test was conducted as repeat of interview in English. Interviews and application requirements were scheduled quickly, but final decisions were made slowly. Again, inconsiderate of those based out of the country, and needing advanced notice. I had to reach out repeatedly. When I was notified I was not selected after three interviews, skills test, and submitting all paperwork, I asked for feedback. Still have not received a reply.

Interview Questions

• What was an area of weakness for your previous place of employment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

I received an email about a month after I applied requesting a phone interview. It lasted about 30 min. and consisted almost exclusively of your standard interview questions. Within the next week, I received emails requesting that I take an online skills test (write a cover letter/budget review/contract review = 30 min. total) and a language test (30 min). The tests were fairly easy, but I was originally told the language test would just be a standardized language test. I ended up being required to write a business letter in French. I was provided very little context for both the regular business letter and the French one and ended up making up a lot of the details -- I would suggest having a strong understanding of Chemonics' values and relating whatever you end up writing back to those. I was then asked to come in for a panel interview that consisted, again, of standard interview questions (but different from the phone interview), as well as a few scenario questions. After two weeks, I contacted the lead recruiter to follow-up as I was also interviewing elsewhere. Shortly after that, I had a brief 15 min. phone interview with the regional SVP and they sent out emails to my references with 2-3 page list of questions. I was offered the job the following week. For some reason, they never required me to take a verbal language test despite the fact that language proficiency was required for this position. Two things worth mentioning -- the recruitment team is set in advance for each position and the time the recruitment takes can vary greatly due to the amount of traveling that people due. Also, I've heard that they've started 'interviewing' people like the State Dept., where you essentially spend a day or half-day actually working as an associate and are observed. I haven't spoken to anyone who has gone through that process, though.

Negotiation

No negotiation -- there is a very strict salary structure and you are given an offer within a defined range (which you are informed of during your first interview). The final offer is determined solely by HR based on your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

My experience was pretty similar to all the others posted here. Phone interview wasn't too difficult (basic interview questions, plus define "versatility, leadership, integrity," and give an example of when you've exhibited these qualities). Next, they asked me to come down for an accounting skills test. Since I was from out of town, the manager, who was (oddly?) the same person who conducted my phone interview decided to interview me right after the test. Not being prepared for the interview, I was a little nervous but made it through okay. They informed me within a week that the job went to someone else. Having had no past accounting experience, it was tough to feel too bad about it. Plus everyone I spoke with was incredibly nice, and responsive throughout the process. Pretty standard interview all around, and based on the few people I met, a friendly organization.

Interview Questions

• Define Versatility, Leadership, and Integrity. Describe a situation when you exhibited each of these qualities.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview which wasn't too bad, then there was a skills test covering contracts and budgets and a language test which was a piece of cake. Then came the dreaded panel interview with three people during which nobody even looks at you because they are all scribbling notes constantly. The whole process took FOR EVER--over 2 months in my case--and when they made a decision, they didn't even bother to notify me. Moreover, they ignored my calls and emails for 2 weeks until finally someone from HR sent me a generic BS email saying they chose someone else.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of how you demonstrated leadership during your professional career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

They initially called me and notified me that my skills set matched what they were currently hiring for and asked me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15-20 minutes basically asking about my educational background, why I thought I would be a good fit for Chemonics and mission, and my interest in international development

Interview Questions

• Chemonics values integrity, leadership and impact --- give examples from your own experience that illustrates all of these qualities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in January 2011.

Interview

Short, generic telephone interview about general interests, qualities, and fit for the job. Then a 3 person panel interview in their office. Before the panel interview, one must complete background check information and references are contacted once interviews are complete. A skills test is administered online consisting of a budget analysis, contract analysis, and writing a short business letter. The skills test is basic, and does not require any specialized knowledge. Panel interview was 'round robin' style with time for personal questions at the end. It took about an hour total. References and previous employers were contacted and asked to fill out an extensive reference sheet or have a phone conversation.

Interview Questions

• Chemonics values leadership, integrity, and versatility. Define all three and give an example of when you demonstrated one of them.   Answer Question
    • You are at a meeting with the senior management and vice president. Your manager is away from the office. The senior executives begin to bad mouth the project your manager is responsible for. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation possible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in January 2009.

Interview

Initial phone screening which included the usual questions: tell me about your work history; why you are interested in Chemonics; strengths and weaknesses; etc.

In person interview consisted of a three person panel interview (which included an associate from operations team, and one associate and one manager in the specific program you are interviewing for). Round robin questions similar to phone interview and then situational questions.

Notification of online test. Test includes three parts: contract analysis; writing portion; budget/excel.

Notification of final interview with VPs and directors.

Interview Questions

• Your manager is away. You are in a meeting with USAID reps and field personnel and they start complaining about the program and express dissatisfaction concerning your boss's performance. How do you react? What do you say?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Interview

You will phone screened then go to a panel interview of about 4 to 6 people. Then you will brought in for a second interview with a director or SVP. You will be expected to start ASAP. The questions asked are scenario based questions as they are looking to evaluate your critical thinking skills.

Associate Interview

Interview

I had one initial phone interview and at least one follow up phone interview. Questions were typical-- tell us about your experience; why do you want to work at Chemonics, etc. The phone interview actually had more to do with HR describing the position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult. This was for the entry level program, which is very structured. I did a little preparation, researching the history of the country and programs I was applying for.   Answer Question

The starting salary for entry level associates is very low, and not competitive enough for applications with graduate level degrees.