Chemonics International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chemonics International Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had a phone interview, general questions where asked. My French was tested as this was a French-speaking position. Interviewer said he would follow up but he never did. I tried following up once, but never heard back to that email.

Interview Questions

• In French: If you were in an elevator with the CEO of Chemonics, what would you say?   Answer Question

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Arlington, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later for a 30 phone interview. The HR representative asked a few routine questions to gauge my fit and interests. Over the phone, she said she would like to schedule an in-person interview for the following week. With a delay due to the inauguration, I had a one hour interview at the Arlington, VA office two weeks later. Chemonics has a VERY structured style of interviewing where the participants have standard questions (mostly situational) and go around in a circle reading the questions from the paper. It felt awkward and unnatural, but if you can think on your feet and try to stay personable in what feels like a robotic situation, you'll be fine. Since the position required modest language abilities, I was asked a question in French and able to reply in English. My final interview was with the overall director of the project. We talked by phone for about 30 minutes. She asked questions about my ability to learn new skills and my language abilities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you felt that you lacked information to complete a project or when a project's requirements were ambiguous.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about they types of work that frustrate you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very professional and communicative throughout.
    Step One: Phone screen where basic questions were asked by an HR interviewer.
    Step Two: Panel interview with three members of the team, which lasted about 45 minutes. Each interviewer took turns asking questions consisting of about 10 total of situational and behavioral.
    Step Three: After 3+ weeks 1-on-1 meeting with the SVP but this was quite different compared to the previous interviews. It was informal conversation and the interviewer wanted to get to know the candidate. A few days later they contacted me that they were checking with my references. The following week an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Chemonics and specifically this position?
      A lot of situational and behavioral questions so prepare with past challenges and experiences, what actions you took to overcome them and the results.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied and got an email asking for a phone interview, the phone interview was with a senior HR representative. I waited for the call and figures out that the HR representative had forgotten about my phone interview so I emailed her back asking if she wanted to reschedule my interview. I finally had the phone interview and it thought it went great and I was given a panel interview for the next day. The panel interview consisted of 3 people, mostly asking situational questions. I thought it went great too and was told that I would be contacted in a week. 2 weeks later I contacted the HR representative to get some news and never heard back. this was 4 months ago, so it is safe to assume that I did not get the position. The least they could have done was return my email and let me know that I did not get the position. Was very disappointed by the company.

Interview Questions

• when do you think it's best to communicate in person vs. email?   Answer Question

Associate A Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chemonics International.

Interview

This was a while ago, so things might have changed. That said, it started with a phone screening. The phone screening had a few basic questions, like "why do you want to work for chemonics, describe your interest in international development," etc.

Afterward, I had an in-person panel interview. They ask you several situational questions during this process.

I also had a foreign language conversational screening, as well as a basic writing skills exam.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview:
      Situational questions (what would you do if....?)
      Explain how you have "integrity, versatility, and leadership" (one by one)
      Describe your least favorite job.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, they will do a phone screen, if selected they will do a second interview, this one is a panel Interview with a director, manager and an associate. Interview is usually 10 questions, they will go around the table and each person will ask a question.

First 8 questions are behavioral, last two are case questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time type of interviews Leadership/compliance/reasoning   Answer Question

Archivist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International in September 2016.

Interview

A straightforward hiring process. First there was a phone conversation with an unprepared and junior person from HR who was 10 minutes late to the call but didn't bother to email to let me know. He was also unprepared and lacked any technical understanding. This was followed by an in person interview at the HQ in DC. Interviewed by a panel of 3 very junior staff, one who had been an intern only 5 months prior. They asked all the usual and basic questions and promised to refer back within 1 week. I followed up with the HR contact after 1 week and there was no reply. After 2 weeks I followed up again and still no reply. Eventually he responded after 4 weeks. He was so unprofessional and I was glad not to get the job. Disappointed.

New Business Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chemonics International.

Interview

I did an initial phone interview, followed by an in-person interview with a few members of the team. A few weeks after the in-person interview, I received notice from the recruiter that they were cancelling the position. Overall, the process took approximately 2 months from the date I applied to the notice they were cancelling the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about why you're interested in working for Chemonics   Answer Question

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

-Online application
    -Phone interview 10 days later and was invited to next round at the end of phonecall
    -Panel interview 5 days later with 3 people
    -Interview with SVP 3 days later
    -2 days later HR told me they were contacting my references
    -Received an offer 5 days later that for a start date about 2 weeks from then

Total process of recruitment was quick (less than a month), transparent and everyone was friendly!

Interview Questions

• Phone interview- (First half in different language, then switched to English) Why is this a right time for you to come into a new position? Why Chemonics? What do you think this position will entail on a daily basis- what prepares you for that?

Panel interview with 3 people: Took turns asking me a series of 9 questions- 7 were based on my behavior and experiences and 2 were situational/scenario questions. We only got to 7 questions total, with several follow-up questions, but they debriefed me on what to expect at the beginning and only asked me one question in another language. Then I was given time to ask questions.

SVP interview: "Tell me about yourself" - informal conversation about my experience and interest in the organization. Switched between languages.

Writer/Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chemonics International in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted one week after submitting my application for a phone interview with an HR representative. During the interview, the HR person spoke a bit about the company and the job, then asked me to speak on my background. She asked me to take her through my resume, then asked a few job-specific questions. She said that she would get back to me either way within three weeks, but she never did. She did not even respond to my follow-up email. I thought this was pretty rude and unprofessional, obviously.