CipherHealth Reviews | Glassdoor

CipherHealth Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.6
CipherHealth CEO Randolph Cheung (no image)
Randolph Cheung
Pros
  • "The people who work at Cipher are really passionate and intelligent(in 9 reviews)

• "Great culture and great people to work with(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "A growing company - have worked in many before, but growing pains are to be expected and the team raises the bar each day to try and meet them(in 6 reviews)

• "This leads to something failing at every single deploy and then the product team/certain accounts team members have to pick up the pieces(in 4 reviews)

1. "Really Moving Healthcare Forward"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time

Pros

I’ve seen CipherHealth grow and mature over the past few years and it’s been amazing to watch. The facts are simple, we have an incredible team, best in KLAS technology for multiple solutions for consecutive years, and an incredibly bright future. Our leadership team offers unlimited PTO, over $1k a year per employee in different ad-hoc benefits, very generous equity, the flexibility to work from any office... (Nashville, NYC, SF) or from home, and so many other awesome perks. It’s incredible to be around leadership that really cares about people, not just the bottom line. A company doesn’t earn an investment from a top tier PE team like JMI without having an amazing products, team, and future; and CipherHealth has all of these. With great reward comes great responsibility; the expectation is that everyone performs at the top of their game, we’re not shy about the fact that we want A team players. Like any business that has become very serious about operations and scaling there have been growing pains along the way, no one has denied that. We have refocused products to ensure we have the best and most stable technology is being delivered to our clients, we have added improvements to several internal systems, additional processes for all teams, and yes we have resized teams so just those folks who are continuously performing are here. That’s the reality of any business. I will admit that there are reviews on Glassdoor that talk about turnover. Our involuntary turnover has been due to leadership not tolerating underperformers. When employees do leave, often they go top-tiered MBA or MD programs, or to lead teams at different companies, or to pursue their own entrepreneurial passions. Three employees recently left to start their own businesses, 4 left to attend Med School and MBA programs, some have gone to Google and Tesla, and several have gone on to bigger things with other healthcare organizations. Many people who jump on here to write a negative review miss all the amazing things Cipher does and all the support they were given and fail to see how much they didn’t take advantage of the things that could have made them more successful. Some reviews here also come from people who think that just because they’re at a smaller company (~200 employees) they’re entitled to leadership roles after a few months; that’s not the way the world works and they will always be upset to hear that.

Cons

It is certainly fast-paced and it can be overwhelming at times, but it's important to take a step back and prioritize while understanding that it's about quality, not speed.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing to your people and they will be here for a long time to come. Make time to hear concerns, and keep setting a clear direction for the organization. Offer more in the way of continued learning (certifications, degrees, etc) Be innovative in product development, we have one of the best client bases of any healthcare tech company, let's keep them really excited about what's next.

CipherHealth2019-09-26
  2. "Great people and mission"

Current Employee - Product/Engineering

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time

Pros

The people who work at Cipher are really passionate and intelligent. The company has great benefits and is an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

The company is going through start up growth pains so there’s more turnover than historically and they are working through some culture changes.

CipherHealth2019-08-21

"Terrible Place to Work/Culture of Fear"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Penn Plaza location is easy to access via the subway, and the new office as of 2018 is a huge upgrade to the previous dump. The technology is decent – the post-discharge follow up calls are effective at reducing readmissions while the digital rounding is table stakes adequate.

Cons

The negative vibes at Cipher begin at the top – the culture is terrible. Don’t be fooled by the recent slew of fake reviews (3 glowing reviews on June 10th anyone?), nobody is happy at Cipher. The CRO is a passive aggressive slave to JMI, the private equity group that dumped nearly $40M into Cipher in 2018 and as a result has shifted the culture to pandering to JMI whims. What was formerly a decent opportunity... to penetrate the patient engagement market has turned into a bevy of miniscule territories accompanied by unrealistic expectations. There isn’t a single person making their number (apart from 1-2 ‘favored nations,’ which I’ll revisit in a moment), as massive hiring (and most recently firing) has slashed normal territory size into 1-2 state regions, with 15 state quotas. As a result, nobody is making any money and everyone is living in fear. Leadership urges the sales team to hound prospects even if the sales team has been told the timing isn’t appropriate by prospects – at best nothing happens, and at worst people create negative associations with Cipher (and your name). There are a few ‘legacy’ sales reps that are handed plum territories; interesting how one’s territory is comprised of only community hospitals while those that should have landed under one’s purview are with other folks. If you only trust certain people to manage deals, why are you on a massive hiring spree? Do you think it’s motivating to the staff to show blatant favoritism? One of the junior legacy favored reps was recently promoted into a leadership role and he promptly fired the majority of his team shortly after flying everyone in for a quarterly business review! Great use of company funds and way to keep morale high! Unsurprisingly, the turnover at Cipher has been through the roof, both voluntary and involuntary. There are countless ‘today is my last day at Cipher’ e-mails in which relieved individuals write phony comments about how much they’ve loved their time at Cipher and would like to remain in touch. These of course are better than the ‘so and so is no longer with Cipher, we thank them for their contributions.’ Do you? Folks are sometimes put on performance plans (often after working at the company for less than 3 months – is that on the employee or on the company for poor training?), and are sometimes let go based upon knee jerk reactions by the CRO and his cronies. The Chief People Officer, not to be outdone in phoniness, will be quick to respond to Glassdoor comments with generic fluff about how great Cipher is; she may have even stopped doing this as it is likely a full-time job at this point. Cipher has a culture of overworking and underappreciating people, a testament to the extremely inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

JMI is ruining not only the culture, but the entire company. What used to be a good place to work has turned into a mess. Unfortunately the giant sales layoffs are a good thing for the company as the team needs larger territories with realistic goals. Bullying the sales team isn’t the way to drive business; creating relationships and demonstrating value on the clients’ timeline is way more effective. Stop... showing favoritism and get real sales leaders with experience (LOL at the one who was here for 5 months before getting fired). Cipher’s reputation has rapidly deteriorated which may affect the ability to attract top talent. Clean up the terrible culture or RIP CipherHealth…

CipherHealth2019-09-23

"Lucky to work for such a mission-oriented company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People at CipherHealth (from the leaders down to the newest hires) are passionate about achieving CipherHealth's mission. Company's energy carries through in every interaction. People at the company are smart, talented, and hard-working. Shared interests lead many to creating deep friendships, especially for those employees working in one of the company offices. The company is led by its founders, so there's a... very entrepreneurial spirit within the company. Creativity and new ideas are highly encouraged from every part of the organization.

Cons

CipherHealth is not the right place for everyone. Passionate people also end up working very hard. The pace of work is demanding, and expectations are more in line with other NYC start ups, despite the company's size. Nonetheless, there is a lot of flexibility and freedom in terms of working remotely, unlimited vacation days, etc. The entrepreneurial environment also means that there isn't always firm direction... for every person all the time. Someone who does not have a self-starter determination might not be the best fit for the company.

Advice to Management

Don't let the expectations drop just because we are getting bigger, and don't forget about prioritizing our culture to keep the spirit high.

CipherHealth2019-08-05
  5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth part-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing People, Motivating Company Mission

Cons

Recently a lot of change. Seems to be leveling out now

CipherHealth2019-07-07

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and great products. It feels like a community and has continued to feel that way even as we grow rapidly, expanding teams and management. I've worked at several other places during my young career and recognize where Cipher excels and where we fall short. The pros vastly outweigh the cons, especially when leadership has taken such an active role in connecting with employees to ensure a strong... culture.

Cons

The strength of great organizations often lives within middle management and this has been a struggle to maintain over the years as we've grown and required a new layer of leadership. The good news is that the executive team has taken notice and appears to be working hard to improve this. There have been several clear actions taken of late.

Advice to Management

Invest the resources in coaching/growing managers from within and finding/hiring those with the right experiences from elsewhere.

CipherHealth2019-06-24

"Growing and maturing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great group of people. Fantastic mission. Amazing product. Wonderful opportunity to take market share and grow. Great working environment with great perks.

Cons

Some leadership issues being worked through. High turnover, but some of that expected at this stage of a maturing company. Needs more definition around mission, vision, product and sales strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and acting on what you discovery. Great teams deserve great leaders.

CipherHealth2019-06-14

"Great place if you are willing to work hard"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering

I worked at CipherHealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, people really care about the mission of healthcare, clients are great to work with

Cons

A growing company - have worked in many before, but growing pains are to be expected and the team raises the bar each day to try and meet them.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the team - hard work and hustle has allowed you to get this far, don't forget to take some time and celebrate what you have achieved.

CipherHealth2019-06-10

"Opportunities to learn and opportunities to improve"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CipherHealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CipherHealth is still small enough that it is a true meritocracy. Those who are hardworking, humble, and positive are recognized and given opportunities to take on more ownership and expand their skillsets. The company believes in self-starters, so if you are a go-getter that wants to quickly see the impact of your work or implementation of your ideas, Cipher will allow that to happen.

Cons

As a result of rapid growth, there have been some growing pains, such as misalignment at the leadership level, which causes teams to be spread a little thin.

Advice to Management

Continue bringing on experienced leaders who have expertise in addressing these growth challenges!

CipherHealth2019-06-10
  10. "Amazing workplace with so much flexibility"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at CipherHealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

CipherHealth is by far the best workplace that I have ever worked in! The perks and flexibility in working at your own pace and in your most comfortable environment is unbeatable, and the group of individuals that have assembled at this office are inspiring, easygoing, and so much fun to be around. From monthly massages to a beautiful office view, it has been an incredible pleasure to be a full time employee here.... What stands out most is that upper management actually listens to their employees and will work hard to implement changes to positively impact even the smallest things. I've worked at many jobs before, but have never felt so cared for at a workplace. Finally, the pay is incredible and you will always have the ability and support to grow at the company.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, but what job isn't?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Found 47 reviews