Civis Analytics Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2020

3.2
Civis Analytics CEO Dan Wagner (no image)
Dan Wagner
  1. "Most educational undergrad experience I've had"

5.0
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I was able to communicate and work with MANY people across different teams - I only had positive experiences working with my team and others - This experience gave me great insight to entry-level marketing and seeing the different pivots from that - Regardless of how good or bad I felt during the internship, I always felt supported

Cons

- none important enough to be noted

2. COVID-19

"Leadership doesn't listen or learn"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of wonderful, curious employees. For some employees (depending on your department and manager), good work/life balance. Flextime available during COVID for childcare. Issues with retention mean there are often openings to move into management roles.

Cons

The company lacks vision and is trying to do way too much with too few employees. The CEO is not good at his job, which has cost the company clients and employees. Major issues with retention, and as a result most managers have little experience. For some employees, lots of fire drills and long hours. Product is often sidelined, despite the company's insistence on being a software company. Almost no transparency around salaries (employees are given outdated and misleading salary bands on a limited basis), and disparities in title and salary that don't match experience or skills. Leadership loves to talk about DEI, but leadership and HR are both hostile to structural changes that would actually improve DEI.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues at Civis are wonderful. Most employees are smart, thoughtful, and kind. Office is very laid back.

Cons

Too much turnover among employees

"Great consulting company, average tech company"

I worked at Civis Analytics

Pros

Perfect place for advancing your data science skills with real world problems in the government, non-profit and political space.

Cons

1. Poor planning and execution of product engineering. 2. People aren’t as nice as they initially seem to be. When they say “Everyone here is super nice, they are always willing to help out”, it’s not entirely true. You’ll be thrown under the bus to figure things out for yourself. 3. Benefits and compensation are sub-par. Remuneration in the technology space is competitive, and they do not compete well in this regard.

Continue reading

"Best coworkers you'll ever have, but mediocre leadership"

Former Employee - Applied Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, fun culture, some of the projects can be really interesting. I had some of the best coworkers of my career here. I was deeply sad to leave them. I learned an immense amount and it made me a much better data scientist.

Cons

The only members of leadership who've been present consistently don't have experience in the positions Civis has asked them to take. They are woefully underprepared for their jobs, up to and including Dan, the CEO. You'll be often asked to do things above your pay grade or skill. Anything from loading data from an unstructured format that could be done much quicker by someone with experience, to deciding the go to market strategy for consulting work. The company generally acts very immature. No process standardization, no norms enforcement. There are certain people who have jobs that involve a lot of management, process, etc but if they don't do this "softer" parts of their job there's absolutely no feedback. Doesn't live up to the values it set. It's not a very egalitarian workplace. There are a small number of really committed people, especially in middle management (though many of them were recently promoted) who work really hard, and it can be painful to watch them really kill it in spite of the actions of upper management. Work life balance really depends on the team.

Continue reading

"Start-ups give room for growth"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Like any start up, Civis is growing and changing every day. The company allows room for creativity that bubbles up from the bottom. That makes it a place where you can stretch yourself and take on bigger challenges than you would be able to at an established corporation. Civis leadership has a demonstrated willingness to move out leaders and managers who don't fit company values of treating others with respect. Really excellent work life balance, particularly for junior team members. Unbeatable in this industry.

Cons

Start ups aren't for everyone. Change is frequent and instability is part of the package. Civis is at an awkward stage where it's not a tiny start up giving everybody a lot of equity. It's also not an established company that can afford to pay out the nose in salaries. In my opinion, the work life balance (e.g., the majority of employees work 40 hours a week) and relaxed culture makes up for this, but not everybody wants to make that trade off.

Continue reading

"Tons of potential, smartest people I've worked with"

Current Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, Civis has some of the smartest employees out there -- and not only intelligent, but also passionate about social good and highly engaged in their communities. I genuinely like the people I work with. The work Civis does for clients is highly impactful, which is clear from the number of long-term accounts the company has. There are many companies out there that claim to do “data science,” but Civis is the real deal. There is a lot of opportunity in this space, and Civis has amazing potential. Projects are exciting and meaningful, particularly compared to other places I have worked. Self-starters will do well here.

Cons

Civis is a start up, with many of the same issues you typically see at a start up: disorganization, poor internal communication, lack of formal training and development. Changes in management, but not necessarily all bad changes.

Continue reading

"supportive and exciting place to work!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Statistician in New York, NY

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people on our team are incredible. So kind, brilliant, and fun.

Cons

I don't love working in a WeWork.

October 16, 2019Director

Thank you for your review! We agree that our people are our biggest asset here at Civis and we love hearing this feedback from you as well.

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Applied Data Science Lead

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good learning environment Collaborative colleagues across departments Social mission Diversity of projects Good work life balance

Cons

Low pay compared to market Lots of churn among leadership

October 16, 2019CEO

Thank you for sharing this review. We pride ourselves on providing a space for innovation and creative problem solving here at Civis. We want to stay true to our mission-driven roots and create a collaborative environment for everyone to do great work across the company. We are excited to continue supporting your development and thank you for being part of the team.

"CEO makes bad moves, alienates employees, company suffers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Wickedly intelligent coworkers - Technically capable engineering management - Tool and (usually) process freedom - Office location downtown is hard to beat - Reasonable benefits

Cons

As I recently talked to coworkers and even some of the management, it is clear that most the the problems other reviewers are describing are coming from repeated lack of direction and ego at the top. I've heard of and seen the CEO push all of his problems and the resulting initiatives onto the Director, VP, or other middle management layers, and then constantly get in their way. Then, evidenced by recent firings in May and July, blame them when it does not work out. He literally said "control alt delete them" as a good thing when referring to wiping out the majority of sales and marketing staff. I was told by multiple people that the management under him at the department levels and even some of the senior management team didn't even know he was going to do this until the Sunday or Monday before it was happening. My co-workers in execution roles attempt success in spite of this, and I saw a lot of very hard work in the engineering department and other associated depts. On reflection, it seems obvious to me now that the company very much does not have even an idea of direction; and when one is "announced" it changes in 2 or 3 months. Departments are expected to move their direction along with it and put out crazy amounts of effort in doing so, then to be told they're going to try something else or be blamed for it not working out. There is no platform of support from the very top. All of the issues I saw there that a bunch of really good people from all levels, from entry level engineer to department lead left because of, seem to stem from top leadership's ability to align, trust lieutenants, or take responsibility. Also, the pay is not market and the company principles were rewritten (but not followed) entirely away from what the employees had wanted and to what the CEO wanted.

October 16, 2019CEO

I appreciate your candor and recognize the difficulty that comes with changes at a growth-stage company. As you noted, the way these changes were communicated could be improved -- I take full responsibility for that and am working to do better in the future. The people at Civis are indeed “wickedly intelligent,” and, like many other startup CEOs, I try to strike a balance between giving them freedom to do their jobs and the guidance needed to succeed. We did go through some growing pains. But we are creating alignment and focus across the company and empowering our managers to take us forward. I have faith and trust in our management team, as I know many of our staff do as well. I am committed to giving them the room and support to grow Civis.

Found 47 reviews