Civis Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2019

4.4
Dan Wagner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Definitely enjoyed the experience and work"

Former Employee - Applied Data Scientist
    Former Employee - Applied Data Scientist

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Great people and good culture

Cons

Pay could be higher for the type of work

"Fun company, some minor issues"

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at Civis Analytics (More than a year)

Pros

It has a culture where you can be yourself. Smart people.

Cons

Inexperienced management. No salary strategy. I never felt the company was very financially secure.

Advice to Management

Pur more women in senior leadership. Extensive management training is needed (not uncommon for a young company). Focus on emotional intelligence for management promotions.

"Good Place to Start a Career"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The number one perk of working at Civis is the quality of people there. There are many good, smart, caring people who are trying to or want to make the world a better place. People early in their careers can take on a lot of responsibility and run with it.

It was also interesting to work at a company where employees could be vocally political.

Cons

The management and direction of Civis is - and from what I can tell, always has been - abysmal. The products the company focus on change drastically from year to year. The consulting arm operates independently of the company's products, focusing on largely quasi-technical consulting such as surveys.

On the consulting (applied) team specifically: I suggest no one stay there longer than a year. Pay is low, technical growth opportunities are nonexistent, and taking work home with you is encouraged and rewarded. The leadership of the firm is stuck in a campaign mindset that makes no sense for a would-be technology company. That said, if you're looking to grow as a project manager or a senior consultant, this team is rife with opportunities.

"Great Consulting Company, Average Tech Company"

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

* 4 star rating for consulting arm of the company.
    * Most consulting work is put into code so it can be reproduced and shared.
    * Consulting methodologies are sound.
    * Great learning opportunities for early career consultants.
    * the culture is progressive and forward thinking (depending on political views this may be pro/con)
    * the culture is friendly and inviting
    * Management is open about financials

Cons

* 3 star rating for the tech arm of the company
    * Low pay and benefits. Often 25 - 40% less than competitors.
    * High turnover, especially among senior employees.
    * Culture of Not Invented Here leading to inferior tools
    * Engineers get pulled into marketing and sales and do not get clear direction / requirements
    * Consultants with no engineering experience are thrown into the deep end and asked to write production software
    * Company structure is becoming less flexible. New ideas are vigorously questioned and performance is measured by billable hours and Jira tickets. (This may be both a pro and con, but generally a con for engineers).
    * Departments / teams are silos. There is significant redundant work.
    * Lack of vision for software products (consulting services do very well, however)

Advice to Management

* Focus development on automating consulting services, use managed cloud services instead of developing in-house tools
    * Increase pay to attract talent / keep senior employees.
    * Incentivize consultants to sell automated consulting work rather than custom work (recording billable hours is not enough as it is often unreliable / gamed).

"Incredible work environment"

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Applied data science is full of smart, purpose-driven, and team-oriented data scientists, and social science R&D is doing amazing work. Really an inspiring group of people to work with and learn from. Flexible hours, generous PTO, and really cool coworkers and managers.

Cons

Volume of work means you need to care about the cause you're helping –– definitely not a 9-to-5 where you just punch the clock –– so burnout is very real if you're on a fast-paced team but aren't invested in the cause you're working on. (On the other hand, if you are invested, it's a great environment.)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"good work experience"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers with high-level skills and intelligence. Good company with great values. Good work/life balance with opportunities to grow skills.

Cons

Not many cons to speak of for the most part, but had some of the usual growing pains of start-ups its size.

"Best People I've Worked With"

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is really enjoyable. You are given ownership right away and freedom to solve problems in the manner you choose. The company is very results-driven so if you demonstrate an ability to do good work you are given flexibility to do projects you feel will be useful for the company as a whole which leads to interesting and fulfilling exploration.

The strongest part of Civis is the overall team. Enough can’t be said about how great everyone is both in terms of fostering a positive work environment and being skilled and dedicated to their jobs.

Cons

I joined Civis not coming from a campaign (or really understanding what a campaign was). At first this was a little intimidating. Despite being a young start up, people (even some “new” hires) knew each from years before the company formed. Since I tended towards the shy side this threw me off for a while. However I learned that everyone at Civis was great to work with. There was not a single person who wouldn’t give up an hour of their day to help you with something. Everyone wants to see you succeed. It has been mentioned that management can sometimes be absent, which is fair, but this was usually not a problem. There are enough team members there to help on projects that things rarely felt stalled. I also knew I could go to my manager for direction if I had a problem, but I tended to have enough support already.

As many people have said, this is not a company where you will get rich. If, after a while, you want to go somewhere more lucrative you will have developed the skills to do so and will be in high demand. Still most people prefer to stay.

Chicago can be an acquired taste.

Advice to Management

The company is pushing to grow. I just hope they appreciate what they have before they move too far forward.

"A great team doing work I can feel good about"

Pros

wonderful people, great team. We can feel good about the work we do. A surprisingly mature group of staff considering that most people are so young. Interesting and diverse clients with interesting problems, highly technical work for data scientists. Really engaged, roll-up-your-sleeves -and-do-the-work type of senior management that doesn't micromanage. A willingness to invest in the resources needed to move the company forward into new areas. Dan Wagner does a great job of telling the firm's story and communicating with senior leaders.

Cons

Salary and especially benefits are a little behind those as similar firms. There's a bit of a "face time" culture, which is very odd in a young start up firm. Lots of in-person meetings, and collaboration between offices is harder than it should be. There's also some management growing pains that are endemic to any start up, but not unusually bad at Civis.

"A great fit for self starters"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were three great things that stood out about working at Civis:

* The people are some of the smartest, most creative, and pleasant people you'll have a chance to work with.
    * The best ideas, regardless of the title of the person they're from, are usually what get executed.
    * The breadth of client projects leads to exposure in a lot of different domains.

Cons

Civis is still a young company; it has the to-be-expected amount of management growing pains and staff are required to work long hours from time to time.

Advice to Management

One of small companies' greatest advantages is the ability to act quickly. Be sure you're capitalizing on this. Don't put off shakeups that are inevitable.

"Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Civis Analytics (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company; very transparent and mission-focused. Very smart people to work with, and an organizational culture that facilitates teamwork: enough structure to provide clear goals, but enough flexibility to get things done.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to select the best resources for a project. Internal platform is best for deployment to customers, but is still evolving, so ad hoc solutions are sometimes necessary.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees, and don't take them for granted. Maintain involvement in nonprofit work and strong corporate ethic.