Club Quarters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Nichols

1. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Club Quarters (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and yearly bonus

Cons

Very busy all the time

Advice to Management

No advice at all pretty good

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Club Quarters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The industry itself is pretty cool to work in, the hospitality industry. If you love people, it's a great environment!

Cons

With having worked for other hospitality companies, I can honestly say Club Quarters is probably one of the worst environments I have ever worked in. I sat in meetings where senior management was screaming at you! Club Quarters is unfortunately not unlike other corporations, they really don't care about their people, which is really contradictory to the industry they're in. Senior management is horrible!!!! If you care about your career, stay away from Club Quarters. If you just need to make money, that's about as much satisfaction as you're going to get.

Advice to Management

You have forgotten the essence of what that industry is, it's about people! Regain a connection with your staff, like the original owners. They really knew how to run a hospitality business. If there is any company you should want to come to work at, it's the hospitality industry. Club Quarters is the exact opposite of that.

"Management couldnt find their head if it wasnt attached to their body"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Club Quarters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fed complimentary lunch on Thursdays. SOME positions have health and dental insurance.

Cons

Management doesnt have a clue what they're doing. If you are looking to grow in the company dont listen to their lies, they have no interest in promoting within but will hire their best friends in a minute. Never seen a worse run hotel, honestly surprise they are still in business.

Advice to Management

Learn your job. Learn the jobs of the employees that you hire. It is hard to run a business when you do not even know what is going on.

"Headquarters employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

Hotel discounts, major hotel markets, professional hotel staff

Cons

Stressful work environment, lack of respect from top management, lack of concern for employees, high turnover

6. "club quarters housekeeping"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Just we receive free lunch on Thursday

Cons

Bad experience, treats employees like crap and bad pay

"Modern Day Slavery For GSRs (WTC Location)"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in New York, NY

Pros

Employee Discount On Rooms
    Some Workers Are Great People
    GM was Great

Cons

Management Is Not Committed To Pleasing Employees
    Managers Are Lazy And Over Worked GSRs
    Managers Lacked Communication Amongst Each Other
    Business System Was Not In Order
    Company Policy Changed Every week
    No Room For Growth
    GSRs wear too many hats, They are the runners, bellman, baggage, housekeeping aids/houskeeping, maintenance, janitors, security and on and on

Advice to Management

Learn Better Business Practices And Learn Professionalism. Also learn the workers are not robots they human beings. Let employees know they are appreciated and reward them with bonuses. Management needs to learn CQ policy and the business system. Get them educated and teach them what successful management is.

8. "Guest Service Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Club Quarters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff was great and very helpful to the guests even when our supervisors slammed us with work they should be doing.

Cons

Management was short sighted, played sides with employees because our GM had brought over 3 GSM's from her previous hotel.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers better, communicate better with staff. have managers actually do their own work.

"Good pay per Industry Standard"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Club Quarters full-time

Pros

Complimentary hotel rooms, friends and family discount rates, and good pay per industry standard.

Cons

Stressful work environment, skeleton staff, poor work/life balance, and little room for growth since it is a small company with few positions available.

Advice to Management

Encourage more growth from within and hire qualified part-time employees to cover shifts that demand more employees.

10. "Laid back environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT

Pros

great employees, empowers managers to make decisions

Cons

old systems and not up to date with technology

Advice to Management

change work style to adjust with the current trends

"One of the worst companies I have ever worked for ... and I'm being gentle."

Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Stamford, CT

I worked at Club Quarters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is literally only one upside to working at Club Quarters, getting a paycheck, and working with the production staff. That's it. Outside of that, there are no other upsides.

Cons

Basically there is one overlying problem ... senior management/the executive staff. They have a very 'British/European' way of looking at their staff. You're over there, and we're over here. They're royalty, and you are not. They make that apparent in every, single breath they take. You are the scum of the earth, we are the all-knowing leaders that you can only imagine to aspire too.

During my work experience over the last 10+ years, I have never worked with such narrow-minded, self serving, egomaniac's, in my entire life. And honestly, that's putting it mildly, I'm actually being kind. These people ... do ... not ... care about their staff, AT ALL. Let me say that again, they do not care about the happiness or progression of their staff, AT ALL. If you don't mind being ignored, constantly talked over, told you know nothing compared to what they know (and they will tell you that to your face), be verbally beaten up and sworn at by their CEO (literally), make you work for your bonus in such a way that is almost dehumanizing - only to have them give you barely 40% of your sweat, be told that just because it snows 3 feet and there are 80 mph winds throwing shards of ice through the air - that you STILL have to come in to work no matter what (no excuse is good enough), if you like being treated like anything BUT a professional, if you like this type of treatment, Club Quarters is the place for you! If you like being treated in an unprofessional manner, 8 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week, apply, accept the offer and join the line of people desperate to find other jobs.

I guarantee you, within 3 months of working for Club Quarters, you'll be looking for another job and also wondering why in the heck you took the job to begin with. Their health insurance coverage is horrible, their pay - mediocre, work lifestyle non-existent (you do what they say and shut up). The only distinctive quality they have, is they don't believe in laying people off. Sounds like a good policy, right? No, they don't believe in doing that. What they do believe in doing, is treating you like a child, belittling you, basically they treat you like such garbage, that you will do ANYTHING to get out of their. Their turn-over rate for employee's is the highest I've seen in any other company I've worked for, specifically for senior managers.

Listen, I'm just being honest because it's THAT bad. I'm not trying to dissuade you from working there, it's your decision. If you just need a paycheck and don't care how you're treated, it's a pretty secure job because it's the hospitality industry, which is relatively secure. People travel and need a place to stay. But if you're a career professional in any sense of the word, and you care about your resume and the professional contacts you make, this is NOT the place for you. Having this on your resume will not help you. Club Quarters is basically the bottom of the barrel.

Now, with that said, I say that with a heavy heart, because the people that created the company are fantastic! Their intentions when creating the company was to create a professional hotel industry, niche to the market. Ralph Bahna, one of the founders of the company who recently passed away, who at times was challenging to work with I've been told, still had a professionalism about him towards his employee's that was the essence of that industry, hospitality. Which with the way the company is running currently, is the exact opposite to what you'd think a hospitality company should run like. You'd believe that the company would want to emulate the arena the company supports. This may be true for some other hospitality companies ... but not Club Quarters.

My advice ... if you care about your career, if you care about how you're treated, ... find another company to devote your time too. Pretty much anything else would be more gratifying.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management ... good Lord, where do I begin.

My advice to management would be, the same thing many people say about other managers in general, really. But at the end of the day, it's not worth even suggesting those common pitfalls. Do you know why it's not worth giving any advice to Club Quarters managers (specifically the senior managers, which make the decisions)? Because you have to actually CARE about people in general, which the senior executive staff at Club Quarters, absolutely does not. They think they're connecting with their employee's, just because they tell a few jokes in their so called 'Town Hall Meetings'. But no one says a word in those meetings, because they know what will happen.

Club Quarters is one of the only companies I've worked for, that will humiliate you in front of other employees. I actually believe they get off on it! They will embarrass you, degrade you, basically treat you like absolute garbage directly in front of other employees, and not give one care in the world about it.

So ... what do you say to people that don't care about anything you have to suggest to them? What can you say?

Now, this actually is a perfect example, because you know how a Club Quarters executive would respond to this? They would say that my comment was not productive. They wouldn't look at themselves and actually hear the criticism. They would immediately redirect it back to you. They'd immediately say that I'm the one with the issue. And yes, I guess I do have an issue. My issue is I don't like being made to look a fool in front of my fellow colleagues.

Being a senior manager myself, having managed several departments in my career thus far, I've had nothing but accolades from past employees and management staff I've worked with. I say that, because I believe that's the marker for a great manager, the comments from their employees. You have to actually listen to your employees, and then adjust! DO your actual job, and MANAGE! By being a manager, especially a senior manager, you're a leader. DO THAT! LEAD! I think you'll find that with doing that, with good leadership, that effort creates followers. Not at Club Quarters. There, the executive staff basically believe that they can walk on water. And they can ... because you're the water.