Command Alkon Reviews | Glassdoor

Phil Ramsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"People Make This Job"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Command Alkon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are awesome and really get it. They work hard and everyone couldn't be better around you. There is a certain person on here with a review titled "Not A Progressive Company" that didn't get along with anyone because she came in with a "know it all" attitude right out of school. She wondered why she got the reactions she did, was mainly cause she was lazy, and it was obvious that intelligence - not hard work - got her everywhere she went in life (and will continue to go). Truthfully though, it's a great company to work for, they really work hard to make you feel valued.

Really enjoyed the travel with the job as well.

Cons

As stated, technologically they are sub-par. They are going to have to go through a HUGE transition here in the next few years to get up to par technologically. It's going to be a huge undertaking. Luckily, I believe that they do have the skills to do it, and they certainly have the leadership to do it.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do. Transition your business. I would definitely recommend on the development side, consider your employees and possibly allowing some to work offsite as dictates.

2. "Great People, Outdated Tech"

I worked at Command Alkon full-time

Pros

The people are very friendly. It is easy to bond with your team, which is very important.
    Pay was decent for Birmingham area.
    Benefits are pretty average, certainly not bad.
    Free coffee and soft drinks.
    The building is pretty nice and has a lake walking trail, but watch out for the geese.
    Good work/life balance. Management realizes that you have a life outside of work.

Cons

Technologically they are very out of date. They are working on transitioning away from using Uniface, although that will take years.
    Culture comes across as a little old school in many ways. No remoting in from home if you have the flu, so people are always getting each other sick.
    Their main application is very configuration heavy, resulting in an app that has 1000's of options and flags, making it impossible to account for all scenarios when coding.

Advice to Management

Keep working to update technology.
    Try to update the atmosphere and more importantly the culture.

"No Job Title"

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time

Pros

Well, it pays the bills.

Cons

You always have to do someone else's job.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable.

"A fine place to work"

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A fine place to work
    Not a ton of competition in the industry, so its stable

Cons

Old fashioned, not a very "hip" software shop
    Tolerant of mediocrity - makes it easy to coast by, but also means you're surrounded by mid-level talent
    Shifts focus too frequently - things don't get finished

Advice to Management

n/a

"Treated Like a Typical Intern"

Former Employee - QA Developer in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - QA Developer in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The fairly relaxed management usually let me work fairly independently, which was a nice breath of fresh air. They were quick to get me anything that I needed, whether that be a different chair, a whiteboard, various office supplies, etc.

My boss was very understanding. I showed up to work one day after a bad breakup. I tried my best to continue putting in effort, but I quickly realized that it would be dishonest for me to continue working that day. I told my boss that I needed to take off for emotional reasons and he didn’t even question it. He was understanding and let me take off.

Cons

My boss’s boss was a bit of a jerk. He treated me like a typical intern, even when it was entirely unnecessary. He moved me away from the rest of my team. The place to which he moved me had three consecutive empty desks, one of which was against a window. Nobody was using that desk, so I requested it. He told me no because somebody else was about to be moved to that desk. Two months later, he eventually moved somebody to that desk. And the icing on the cake is that this employee liked it to be dark at his desk; he’d even unscrew the light bulbs above his desk. I don’t think that he particularly cared for the window desk. Pretty irritating. This is just one of the many things that he did that upset me. Everybody else was fairly friendly, so I suppose that I just had a stroke of bad luck.

Many of the developers really needed to brush up their knowledge in CS. For example, my boss had a PhD in CS, but he didn’t even understand object-oriented programming. He was old enough to have earned the PhD before OOP was a thing, but he never took the time to keep caught up. Many employees were in a similar boat. Perhaps this is because their interviews were the same as mine—no programming or such involved.

Though an intern, I felt that my pay was less than satisfactory. They were unwilling to even negotiate.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to ensure that your employees are up to date on the latest best practices. It would go a long way and make the code much more maintainable.

There’s no server-side validation on the timesheet website. That should probably be fixed. In fact, clock-in and clock-out times should be retrieved from user input; they should be retrieved by the server’s time upon submission of a blank form.

"Sr Programmer Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with every day are very good folks, and this is a company with family values. The visibility of work and effort is wonderful. There are a lot of opportunities to move laterally or upwards depends on what your interests and capabilities are.
    Also offers excellent benefits.

Cons

Some older technologies are being used, but they are working towards migrating to latest ones.

"Great careers for those who strive"

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There isn't necessarily a well defined career path for anyone in the company, as it is relatively small. However, this is a positive for people who are go-getters, and who want to blaze their own career paths. I have numerous colleagues who have made very interesting careers within the company, including myself. The company is currently in growth mode, so this should (and does) translate to career growth for those who wish it.

Cons

It can take time to get to your ultimate career desires, so patience is necessary. It's a tough industry that we serve, so growth can be slow - but rewarding! If you can make a career here, you will be recognized for your level of excellence.

Some people have desires to do something that management will not agree as being their ideal career, and it can be hit & miss whether you get a manager who will frankly discuss these things, and who will actively facilitate your desires. ...if you get the right manager though, the outcomes can be fantastic!

There is a somewhat of a silo culture within the company, and within the groups which most need to break out of this, management is doing opposite. There are a few managers in the wrong jobs.

Advice to Management

Be leaders, not managers! There are some managers in the company who actively raise the expectations of employees' careers, primarily to their own betterment, and not to the overall company. This is eventually detrimental to morale, and bad for the company. Executives within the company need to identify and appropriately deal with these people, in order for the organization to reach the desired levels of growth.

8. "Birmingham's Best Company"

Former Employee - Receprionist, Batch Service Administrative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Receprionist, Batch Service Administrative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Command Alkon full-time

Pros

The environment is very pleasant, everyone working there are all glad to be there.

Cons

Very high pressure but that's a plus

Advice to Management

You guys are the. Best. 2001-2005

"people are great mgmt stinks"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Plain City, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Plain City, OH

Pros

great people
    not much else i like the team i was on but management was horrible

Cons

management has no vision
    very aggressive behavior in a office environment
    yelling at people in front of staff
    unprofessional

Advice to Management

lean to be a leader not

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always some new project or product to work with, lots of great employees, wide and diverse customer base

Cons

Executives disconnected from the concerns of the average employee, lack of proactive communication organization-wide

Advice to Management

Engage with employees more instead of dictating to them, cull the dead weight employees! Nothing more toxic than allowing the bad apples to continue to rot.