Compass Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Compass Founder and CEO Robert Reffkin
Robert Reffkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture is by far the best that I have ever seen (in 13 reviews)

• Healthy communication from executive leadership team through various channels (i (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast-paced -- not a place for someone looking to cruise (in 19 reviews)

• Definitely a fast-paced environment, priorities can change quickly (in 8 reviews)

1. "High Tech + High Touch = Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Associate Bro in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Bro in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative peers, unparalleled support staff of marketing, agent ops, IT. All software is built in-house based on our recommendations and by a team of engineers/product experts from DE Shaw/Google/Facebook/Twitter/Linkdin. The tech has made my job easier, but the culture is the best I have encountered at any company. Compass works hard to keep the supportive & collaborative culture consistent even through its tremendous growth. Morale remains high with my peers, buoyed even more so with the latest round of series E investment of $550million....

Cons

We are growing fast and the offices have been reorganized to accommodate more staff & agents so expect some shifting of office spaces, but they make every effort to accommodate a fruitful work environment

Advice to Management

If you can grow this fast and still keep the "small company" & "can-do positive spirit" feel alive with agents and staff....then keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Compass is a fabulous company to work at"

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Compass, you are surrounded by the best and the brightest professionals who are collaborative, forward thinking and ethical. We all feel so passionate about our company because there is transparency from the top down. We are invested in our growth. I have worked at other real estate companies and none compare. Compass is focussed on our success. I am so proud to be at Compass.

Cons

Haven't found a con yet!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Real Estate Agent"

I have been working at Compass full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great management

Cons

no cons, truly a great place to work

"Outstanding Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Compass you're surrounded by extremely talented and hard-working individuals on who cultivate an outstanding culture where you learn, grow and succeed every day.

Cons

To this point, I really have nothing poor to say about working at Compass.

"The best company I've worked for (by far)"

Current Employee - Strategic Growth Manager
    Current Employee - Strategic Growth Manager

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Surrounded by people who have incredible work backgrounds from various industries, all passionate about their contribution to this company.
    - Healthy communication from executive leadership team through various channels (i.e.emails, all-staff meetings). Complete transparency.
    - You're able to easily measure your success. Management is excellent at communicating goals and coaching you through it.
    - Very collaborative environment.
    - No egos
    - Strong emphasis on happiness and culture, which they (by action) really uphold to
    - As big as the company has gotten and as it continues to grow, I see amazing effort being placed on maintaining that "start-up" environment: being able to express thoughtful opinions, holding social gatherings, communication from the top down, collaboration.
    - The company listens to feedback and acts upon it.
    - They're proactive!

Cons

Quite honestly, I have no cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the communication you have with staff and agents.

"A Chance to Rise to Your Own Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The executives don't just say things to look good, you can tell they genuinely believe in their efforts, and hoping to transform an industry. They care. I can say that from the top to the bottom of employees, this company has a culture of caring.

If you like to work, and find enjoyment in being more than just a cog in a machine, Compass would fit you. You definitely have to strive for excellence, because they don't accept anything less.

When this company sees a flaw in how they're doing things, they laser focus their efforts to fix it. Compass is extremely nimble, and always craving feedback to improve itself.

The company's values are the values that every person should strive to achieve, in all aspects of life.

Cons

There can be a few egos. But maybe that's what you get when you only hire excellence.
    Also, as everyone else has said, be prepared to move fast and work hard.

"Community is key"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass full-time

Pros

Compass is building the operating system for real estate through technology, marketing, and community, and as an employee, you have the rare opportunity to experience that focus every day. Community is key here - for agents and employees - so that's a major focus during the interview process. Leadership views candidates as people being welcomed into a family, so fit is incredibly important.

The leadership team is impressive, collaborative, and transparent - you don't feel left in the dark here.

The CEO is passionate and inspiring. He continues to call new agents and new hires to personally welcome them to the team even as the business continues to grow. He's focused on building an incredible community that feels close and personal no matter how big it gets. He's also just a great human being.

Cons

The company is still young so some of the administrative systems need tweaking.

If you don't like moving fast and wondering where the weeks have gone, you might not enjoy "the Compass way" as the fast-paced environment is affectionately called.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating. Keep us informed. All of that keeps us motivated.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Compass full-time

Pros

Innovative outlook, fun culture, intelligent/passionate colleagues

Cons

Offices not close to metro

Advice to Management

You've created a company that inspires people to not just come to work every day, but to do their best and have fun doing it. As you grow and scale, always remember that it's the people who have found their place at Compass that make it such a special place to call home.

"Managing Broker/Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compass is genuinely a great place to work. Having worked in the real estate industry for over 20 years, I've experienced various cultures non of which can compare. Management truly cares about their employees, encourages solutions-driven feedback and as a result deliver continual weighted revisions to product and procedures. An inspirational company and culture to be trusted.

Cons

No cons to add here.

"The culture of Compass"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart Smart Smart! That's what I would say about the people who work at Compass! They really focus on hiring the best staff and have incredibly high standards! Kind decent people who care about doing the right thing and about helping agents grow their business. It is exciting to work at a start up but this really isn't a start up since real estate has been around for generations. It is a future oriented environment which is inspiring.

Cons

The technological environment here is so progressive that if you aren't paying attention you will fall behind.

Advice to Management

Keep up your vision and values based on diversity, personal growth and challenging us all to embrace the future!