Compass Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

3.9
Pros
Cons
  • "Fast-paced (con only if you don’t like this)(in 51 reviews)

• "Really no cons other than me working to keep up with the new technology and offerings(in 27 reviews)

"There is no other brokerage I would like to work with."

Current Employee - Agent in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tremendous support, both in staff, marketing and technology.

Cons

As we grow it is imperative Compass stays true to it's mission.

Compass2020-05-26

"Great company, kind management"

Former Employee - Front Desk (Sporting Club) in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Compass part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is super kind as long as you have a good attitude Pay is decent for the position, and there's room to grow Enjoyable atmosphere, many of the customers enjoy conversing with you

Cons

Sometimes the customers would get angry about formalities Staff can be catty - which then upsets management Managers clearly didn't like the employees who had a bad attitude... so have a good attitude

Compass2020-05-20

"This was a job! (But not a bad one.)"

I worked at Compass full-time

Pros

Compass was, overall, an enjoyable place to work. I really liked my team - the crowd skews young, but they are smart, hardworking, and collaborative. I'm not sure about others, but I personally felt that my compensation was "at the high end of fair" - not quite "generous," but aligned with the market. Medical benefits are included unless you elect a Cadillac plan, and the free ones are pretty good - not HDHPs. The office has catered lunches every day, and if you're petty enough to complain about the quality of the free daily catering, then please tell your personal chef I say hello. Office is dog friendly. There are events, etc., if that's what you're into.

Cons

Extreme lack of transparency from leadership. All-hands meetings are frankly a joke: they put the CEO or another C-Suite leader on stage and deliver a motivational speech, when the reality is extremely different and many are worried about job security (even pre-COVID.) Performance review processes are extremely convoluted and can run for months beyond their allotted time. This wouldn't be a major issue if performance reviews weren't also directly tied to raises. They are rigidly structured and managed extremely poorly - I would not count on getting a raise or receiving a bonus, even if the bonus is built into your comp structure, even slightly. Treat getting your bonus like winning the lottery. It's that hard - not because performance standards are so high, but because the system itself is like a Rube Goldberg machine.

Compass2020-05-05
  4. "Keeps getting better & better"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor - Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am responding as an Agent - Have never worked at Compass: 1. They get it! They believe in helping their agents do their job better and they deliver, not only technology but direct hands on help whenever needed. 2. Marketing materials and staff is the best, simple, clear and on target 3. They understand how important timing and critical information can be and make it available when we need it. 4. You want something, certain design in an app, etc., and they will provide it if at all possible I am totally impressed that finally I have the systems and information when I need it and how I want it to best help my clients and customers sell and buy property.

Cons

With new companies, they are creating everything - that is also a plus but at times, it may take a while to get the application or process the way that can be most helpful. I really do not have any "cons". very very satisfied with my move to Compass... have not looked back. Why would I? Where I was ... is so far behind now!

Compass2020-05-15
  5. "Great company work for"

Current Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and perks with long term ee

Cons

COVID has thrown thing off and hiring down.

Compass2020-05-11

"The heyday is over"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Compass full-time

Pros

- Good peer software engineers - Free lunch, snacks, and drinks, although they're not quite at the tier of the very best in the software industry - Flexible hours and decent work-life balance. You aren't pushed to grind out hours. - Convenient HQ location for commute

Cons

- The CTO, who is alum from Amazon, is heavily biased on bringing in Amazon hires for leadership positions in Product & Engineering. It's a sign that the org is becoming more like Amazon, and not in a good way. The leadership hires also seem to heavily lean towards a specific demographic: Indian males. It's really blatant. - Promotions are rationed, probably to hold down compensation expense. But even if you get promotion, compensation increase is typically small. - Review cycles drag on months past their scheduled end time. - If there's an issue related to compensation, you can expect it to be resolved in the company's favor. For example, someone should have been paid a referral bonus before they left because they met all the requirements, but the payment was late, and then afterwards the company said that they don't need to pay out the referral bonus anymore since the person is no longer an employee. In another example, there were employees who joined prior to a capital raise and were promised options at a certain strike price, but because the company was late in issuing them their equity comp, those employees got their options at a higher strike price, which is less favorable to their compensation. It's either incompetence in HR / compensation processes, or intentionally screwing over employees; in either case, it's not good. - Product managers are not able to do their jobs effectively because the CEO overrides their plans and decisions based on gut feeling and the feedback he hears from agents. This may be a contributing cause with the issues with product direction, where the end outcome is poor product adoption. And all the product decisions he makes are going to make Compass more into a brokerage, and not into a tech/software company with high margins. - Company has had layoffs recently and salary reductions. Partly this is due to coronavirus which has heavily impacted company revenues. It's going to be a tough time ahead, and it's hard to see a path to IPO. How can the company justify a decent IPO price when it's still operating like a regular brokerage? Investors will ask why not just buy Realogy instead? - The biggest problem with the startup, if you apply learnings from Silicon Valley startups, is lack of product/market fit. If you didn't have generous signing bonuses and commission splits for agents, would they be flocking to join you based on your product offering? No. I think that easy VC money has allowed the company to expand aggressively via incentivized recruitment and brokerage acquisitions, while putting off the problem of building a compelling product. This is the problem that must be solved before anything else, to build a viable company.

Compass2020-05-02
  7. "Enjoyable company, unpredictable"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Compass full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company, Great Co-workers, Great benefits, Great office

Cons

Not much growth in certain roles, unpredictable day to day, people constantly shifting in and out of the company

Compass2020-05-04

"Objective rating: 3.5 / 5"

I worked at Compass full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Smart, hard working, and genuine colleagues who support one another each and every day. -Robert is an inspiring CEO and has big vision for the real estate industry. -C-suite come from impressive backgrounds - consulting, Amazon, Facebook, Spotify -Fair work-life balance -Solid perks and benefits: Fitness and education stipends + dinner if you work late. Healthcare paid for. Fair starting salary. -Impressive list of investors throughout funding rounds -The product has potential - but 8 years in, Compass should be much farther along.

Cons

-The tech platform truly does not provide a competitive advantage for Compass agents in market. Most employees do not believe Compass is a tech company, but rather a well-funded brokerage -Agent support structure does not provide career growth internally nor positioned for tech scalability - and job an tend to quite monotonous (Agent Experience, Marketing, etc). -Young, inexperienced middle managers who are poorly trained and many times, are much less experienced than those they are managing. -Nepotism and favoritism for HQ employees. It’s near impossible to get performance recognition, let alone a promotion for non-HQ staff. -P&E is visibly favored by Robert and management. For example, during Covid all employees are taking pay cuts except P&E. -Agents are put above employees, every single time. I knew colleagues who were scared of agents because they got treated so poorly. -Lack of preparedness or planning by upper level management made processes change every day / added work - all under the guise of #MovingFast. Start ups change direction quickly but they’re usually is transparency. Moreover, Compass is not a start up. -High turnover among C-suite -Lack of diversity, particularly racial diversity in the New York region as late as 2018. This has gotten better over the past couple of years. -Upon signing employment contract with Compass, you are sold one thing and as cost cutting has increased for IPO, many things have been removed slowly over time.

Compass2020-05-07
  9. "You'll Be Challenged and Grow Here"

Current Employee - Agent Experience Manager

I have been working at Compass full-time

Pros

-No two days are the same--each day at Compass holds a new challenge. -Compass encourages employees to obsess about solving problems in creative ways. Compass has taught me that every challenge posed is an opportunity to create a solution. Time spent worrying about a problem instead of solving it is time wasted. I will carry this lesson with me wherever I go. -Colleagues are incredibly bright--everyone is deeply invested in building the future of real estate for agents. -Management encourages employees to allocate a certain percentage of time to focus on "passion projects" that will benefit customers and streamline work. If there is a way you can make a system, process or experience better at Compass, you are encouraged to execute your vision. For a large company, Compass remains very agile. -Countless opportunities to get involved in areas of the company that interest you--just ask!

Cons

-If you aren't comfortable with change, this isn't the place for you. Things change fast at Compass. As an employee, you have to be flexible and able to adapt to new responsibilities quickly. What you did yesterday might not be what you are doing today or tomorrow. -If the customer isn't at the center of all that you do, this isn't the place for you. Each and every agent is the most important agent that we serve in any support role at Compass.

Compass2020-05-01
  10. "Creative and innovative environment"

5.0

I have been working at Compass full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compass really pushes the envelope in tech, operations, and innovation. It's an environment of continuous improvement. I am surrounded by passionate colleagues who care about doing great work and delivery a great experience to customers. I enjoy that it's results-driven, having worked in prior tech companies where old habits die hard, and routine creates stagnancy. It's invigorating to lead a strong, agile team, be allowed to recreate and rethink solutions when they aren't working, and ultimately always puts the customer first in decision making.

Cons

For some, a company that moves quickly can be hard to be at. Compass is an environment suited for folks who are agile, flexible, and can see multiple solutions to a single a problem. We work hard here, but, work isn't supposed to be easy.

Compass2020-04-28