Compass Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Product Expert Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

Loved it. My recruiters were great listeners and really helped me develop a path to the best place I could be within the company. I got to meet a team that was really dynamic and enthusiastic about what I could bring to the table. It was really awesome to start working and see that all that was discussed in the interview process was actually true.

Interview Questions

• They worked to find out who I was as a person on top of what made me a good candidate professionally   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Interview

One interview with each member of the team. Usually have to interview with the broker as well. Great company to work for. There’s isn’t another real estate company this technologically advanced.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen then a lot of back and forth about next steps and meeting with the team. On site interview took 2.5 hours. Everyone was very smiley and friendly. Rejected 1 day after the interview the night before Thanksgiving.

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass in May 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with the Head of People. Video Interview w/ another member of the People Team. Brief phone chat w/ the GM similar to a phone screen + quick intro, nothing too substantive. All straightforward and made me excited to be a part of this team.

Last round was another video interview w/ a member of the exec team based in NYC on a Friday at the end of the day. He was late to joining without any notice. Then joined the video conference, but was having issues with the sound on his computer and became visibly frustrated. He had me stay in the video conference while ran out of the room to grab someone to help. This person also seemed unfamiliar with the video conference software and wasn't really sure what to do. Not the best way to start off, but I hoped for the best and was ready to continue the conversation. His laptop continued to have technical issues with the video and sound cutting out, so he ended up calling me on my mobile which seemed to irritate him even more. There was a surprise "role-playing scenario" that was pretty awkward and the whole conversation by this point was clearly a waste of time. The icing on the cake was when he stopped mid-interview to take a call.

Appreciate the team's willingness to move on an accelerated timeline, but that last video interview was the most unprofessional interview experience I've ever had. Recommend participants in the interview process learn the tools/software used during the process and at least pretend to have some respect for the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Role playing - Hiring a new manager from outside, current employee feels slighted. How do you handle it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Compass in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from the HR recruiter two days later asking for my availability for a phone interview. I submitted my availability and she confirmed my appointment for the next day. We had our phone interview and everything went well. She asked me what I knew about the company and asked me to explain my background in further detail. We had a good rapport and conversation and at the end of the interview she stated that she would like to invite me for the next round of interviews and meet the team for an in person interview. She emailed me the online calendar to put in my availability for the following week and I sent this information back to the recruiter. A couple of days went by and I didn't hear anything back, so I followed up to see if she received my availability and to let me know if there were any issues with the days/times I provided. There was no response back from my follow up email. To this day, I have not heard back from anyone in the company with regards to the interview process. I understand things change and maybe a different decision was made with regards to moving me to the next round of interviews, but I think a courtesy email letting me know that I will no longer be moving forward in the interview process wouldn't be too difficult, considering that she did verbally, and in email, invite me to next round. That really left a poor impression on me as a potential candidate and if this is an indicator on how they treat their employees, then I guess I should consider myself lucky that the company ghosted on me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

Had two phone screenings, both went well. The types of questions you see in Cracking the Coding Interview but in JS. I was brought in for on-site interviews which included 5 interviews with a lunch in between.

The questions weren't too difficult I thought I answered them pretty good. I noticed there wasn't much diversity among their engineers and the engineers and recruiter did not engage much throughout the on-site interviews. I definitely did not feel welcome. They are no doubt smart people and the technology is great too, but from a people standpoint it wasn't the best.

Interview Questions

• Checking if a string contains a valid sequence of opening and closing parentheses   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Standard technical interview process - a bunch of somewhat arbitrary algorithmic problems to whiteboard and discuss. Nothing exceptionally tricky. The main issue was with the people -- half of the folks were relatively normal, but the others lacked basic social skills. There was also a air of unearned arrogance about the team that was slightly off-putting, with the exception of one of the early founders, who seemed more seasoned and less insecure about his own background.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to convert a the representation of a number in one base to its representation in another base, where the bases can range from 2 to 36.

char* convert(char* number, int fromBase, int toBase);

essentially.   2 Answers
    • Given an input array of integers, return an array of the same size such that that ith element in the output array is the product of every element in the input array other than the ith element of the input array. Restriction: do not use division in your algorithm. This should be done in O(n) time complexity.   2 Answers
    • Write a function that, given a dot-separated path to a JSON-like object changes an input string to another value is the string matches. Each level of the object (except the first) might be a string, a list of strings, an another object, a list of objects, or a list of other objects. ... To be honest, the guy who asked the question did a poor job of phrasing it and seemed to be a bit confused about what he was asking to begin with. He was stumbling over his own definition, and was a poor communicator in general.   2 Answers
    • Write a function to reverse an integer, without using any intermediate storage except for other integer values.   2 Answers
    • Write a function that, given an inventory of titles (say movies), and a starting movie title, returns the longest list of titles (in which each title appears only once) where the first word of the next title in the list is equal to the last word of the preceding title.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter reached out after finding my information online.

Spoke with her and we agreed to do 2 phone interviews then onsite.

They reached out early in my job search, so I kept postponing but they were OK with that.

Each phone interview started with a couple behavioral questions like 'why Compass?' + 'what are you looking for? - then went into medium difficulty questions. The interviewers have been with Compass for years.

Then the onsite was also with senior people/management and they asked quite difficult questions. They seemed very smart to me and I found our discussions went well, which was a big factor in me accepting the offer.

One thing I'd change: my interviewers were often quite late (which is being improved). And they could have answered my questions for them better.

Interview Questions

• the recruiter should let you know what to expect, but Leetcode medium/hards + system design should be expected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

One recruiter interview, 2 phone screens, 4 rounds onsite. Recruiter was very prompt, as fast as 10 minutes after my phone screens. Onsite was poorly managed with manager and staff reporting late and me having to wait in the waiting room for 20+ mins. Interviewers were nice though

Interview Questions

• 1st - Insert delete getRandom, 2nd - General discussion on how hashmaps work internally and fun discussion about OOP interfaces   Answer Question
    • NDA. LC med, easy, Design fb newsfeed   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass in October 2018.

Interview

* Applied online and got a call from HR in 10 days.
    HR was good to talk with during first call but over next few conversations she replied passive aggressively. One instance was, She sent me a calendar invite to select a time slot for interview, which I did. But later she says that I am should not provide her just one time slot because company cannot work according to my timetable. So she said provide multiple time slots. Fair enough but I DONT REMEMBER ANY INSTRUCTIONS SAYING TO SELECT MULTIPLE TIME SLOTS. It said "Provide a time slot". Anyway interview was scheduled.

* There were two rounds of interviews 1. Java interview 2. Javascript Interview

* During second round of interview (Javascript interview) the interviewer's English accent was so bad that 3/4 of time went in asking "Could you please repeat the question ? "

* After all this there was no update/follow up from the company. I emailed the same HR after waiting for two weeks. The HR says " Sorry for delay, We want to interview you for front end role and not full stack. That being said we want to interview you again for Javascript"

This was unexpected and unacceptable.

You cannot be playing with candidates time and make them wait for two weeks only to tell them which position they want to interview.

It was like company was confused and so kept candidate in dark

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Basically what everyone else has said until now. I feel so bad writing this. The recruiters are super nice. Most of the people you meet are nice. But then the few rotten apples are so bad that it really leaves you with a bad taste. I would have given it a higher rating, but they just do not have checks and balances in place.
    For starters, the sheer volume of interviews is bad. It just shows that the company does not care about your time. 2 phone screens 1 hr each and a 5 hr on site interview is uncalled for. Really. Almost every candidate has complained about them having arrogant self proclaimed :superstars: on the team, but they do nothing to add accountability to the process. There are many ways this can be avoided. Have a group panel interview or interview in pairs to add accountability. Or reduce the number of rounds if you cannot stop renegade interviewers who seek validation from their position. You are tarnishing your own brand doing this.
    This interview is extremely humiliating and bad. One interviewer actually said to me "i should not be telling you this". Sure I was not able to answer your esoteric question on dynamic programming in the moment. Happens. Dont have to show this superiority and arrogance just because you applied before me.
    A lot can be done here. Send a project to ppl to implement. And check the project. many tech companies are doing that. Why give ammunition to problematic folks that you cannot control?

An advice to everyone, they dont value your time. Dont waste it talking to arrogant ppl

Interview Questions

• Coderpad Phone Screen 1 Some variant of Parse a text and display   1 Answer
    • Coderpad phonsecreen 2 Parse a document but this time prefixes can be used to search   1 Answer
    • On site Determine if a text is valid based on a dictionary (no spaces)   1 Answer
    • On Site 2 - write the code for a load balancer. You can add a node, delete a node or pick a node at random. All have to be constant time and balancing should be even   1 Answer