Cover image for Compassion International

Compassion International President and CEO Jimmy Mellado
Jimmy Mellado

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Senior leadership continues to communicate who has authority and accountability as well as to clarify roles and responsibilities.(in 14 reviews)
  • "From leaders taking limos to the airport, to excessive spending on food, to promoting abusive managers...Compassion has major cultural issues that are very damaging.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Low salary and limit to promote(in 7 reviews)
  • "based management, and back stabbing.(in 6 reviews)
  • "7 of 10 on my team have left since January 2016 and for whatever reason they don't think there is a problem.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Compassion International and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place

Nov 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of PTO, great benefits, and amazing people.

Cons

Since moving to remote, it is really tough to build a positive culture. There is also a TON of change happening. I believe the change will lead us to a better place, but in the short term it’s tough.

Compassion International Response

We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

2. 4.0

Growing pains.

Nov 6, 2022 - Analytics
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are friendly and I see Christian values and love that don’t exist to the same extent in private industry. People genuinely care more here. PTO benefits are outstanding as is retirement plan. Other benefits are decent, especially for a nonprofit. The mission of releasing children from poverty also feels great.

Cons

Leadership problems at the SVP / VP level. Indecisive and unfocused management has led to unnecessary work and low morale due to goals changing every month. Many people feel tired and over stretched as a result, others are unsure what is expected of them. Influence culture that celebrates nice sounding talking points rather than sound ideas. Way too many unnecessary meetings and off sites. People meet and things don’t move forward. Claim to be a remote work culture but remote work employees still bear the brunt of travel where Colorado Springs people never travel and complain they want to get together. Analytics is not understood or respected at Compassion. It is getting better though. Analytics staff are spread out among teams with no central group. An advantage is that staff knows the needs, but teams don’t understand the needs of analytics folks because there is one of them on the team. While improving, most analytics staff tend to be on the low end of skills. Basic sql competency is a challenge.

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

3. Join the Compassion International team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Using Today's Tech to Move Forward with Compassion's Mission

Oct 5, 2022 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love the mission of Compassion and feel that most employees are fully engaged with the overall goals of the organization. The leadership and the team that I work with are great. We are using current technologies to build our solutions within IT. Software developers have freedom to learn new concepts and apply them to the problems that are in front of us. It is exciting and satisfying to work on projects that can help other people within Compassion and its programs.

Cons

As a fully remote, newer employee, it has felt hard to get to know people throughout the organization. Everyone is friendly and welcoming (even over Zoom!), but I sometimes wish I could meet more of my co-workers face-to-face. Hopefully there will be opportunity for in-person connections as time goes on.

Compassion International Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback!

5. 5.0

Love working at Compassion

Nov 9, 2022 - Business Support Specialist II in Colorado Springs, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Christ centered Valued team member

Cons

Salary is extremely low for this position

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your review. We so appreciate your thoughts!

6. 5.0

Best IT job for Christians, recent Comp Sci grads

Jul 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, management, flexibility. Remote IT work. Amazing benefits (health, HSA, retirement). Very dedicated colleagues who all support each other without regard to profession , gender, race, etc. This is the best job to start a career in IT with regarding the tools and challenges while also including your faith journey. I would recommend trying to get an internship during college if you can to have a higher chance of full time employment afterwards (what I did). Nothing but high praise for leadership including the IT department leadership. Imagine getting paid half day Fridays from 2020 to mid 2022 as the generous leaders understand the challenge of work life balance for remote workers, while other companies double down on suspicion that remote workers do less work. For IT specifically, we follow the SAFe framework and have passion projects and learning stories each sprint so we are not always involved in mundane work, there is a new challenge to tackle every sprint. I HIGHLY recommend this organization and profession.

Cons

Non profit means wages and raises are less competitive than for-profit, but what is lacking is made up for with the benefits package and work satisfaction that is received by striving towards the mission.

Compassion International Response

We appreciate your feedback!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great environment though slow moving with many meetings

Oct 15, 2022 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work/life balance - Flexible schedule (dependent on team) - Holistic development (spiritual, physical, career) - Very kind and caring coworkers

Cons

- Meeting-heavy, sometimes seemingly unnecessary but can understand that they want to allow everyone to have a say in their processes - Company based in CO, so there may be bigger meetings that require you to be on MT schedule even though you're EST or PT (stayed until 7pm recently for one) - Slow moving overall due to size of company

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your thoughts.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great benefits

Aug 27, 2022 - Logistics Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job is great, only been here less than a year but they treat their employees better than anywhere else

Cons

Things tend to move slow, things will happen but you need to keep reminding managers or supervisors for it to happen.

Compassion International Response

We appreciate your feedback!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

GREAT Company

Jul 15, 2022 - Supporter Experience
    Business Outlook

Pros

High quality organization that is not only best in class in the way the ministry is implemented, but also cognizant of the well being of the employees. They truly care and wish to be holistic in all they do.

Cons

Learning how to operate in a hybrid model and still experiencing some pain points in that process.

Compassion International Response

We appreciate your feedback and your thoughts on the Compassion website.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Growth opportunity with amazing people that really cares about you!

Aug 1, 2022 - Devops Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growth opportunity Mentoring opportunity Actually help saving the world Great compensation Flexible Great work life balance

Cons

No Cons so far for me.

1 person found this review helpful

Compassion International Response

Thank you for leaving this review!

11. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

An incredible organization to work for

Jun 29, 2022 - Market Research Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compassion truly cares about its workforce. This is evident from the top-down. They offer a competitive benefits package because they want their team to feel loved and cared for. Everyone I interacted with showed genuine care for me as a colleague and an individual. I would highly recommend working for Compassion.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share. Of course there are times when the work is hard and you get busy. But that's every company.

Compassion International Response

Thank you for leaving this review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 297 Reviews
</>Embed

Compassion International Reviews FAQs

Compassion International has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 394 reviews left anonymously by employees. 94% of employees would recommend working at Compassion International to a friend and 84% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Compassion International employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Compassion International. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

94% of Compassion International employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Compassion International 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Compassion International to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be management, culture, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Compassion International Job Seekers