Compassion International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jimmy Mellado

Pros
  • Everyone works toward the same goal, which is releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name (in 17 reviews)

• You always know the work your doing is helping kids around the world get a hand up (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be difficult (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication, lack of direct engagement with leadership, bureaucracy and inability to get decisions from leaders (in 3 reviews)

1. "Compassion International"

Current Employee - Volunteer Facilitator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Volunteer Facilitator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compassion International (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the team work and bonding of all the volunteers and leaders at Compassion International. Each of them are so respectful for each other.

Cons

Volunteer works are held online, so there are often errors or issues of the program.

2. "IT"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Ministry
    Wonderful leadership
    Flexibility of a startup in many areas
    If it benefits kids they will find a way to do it.
    They truly treat employees as family

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult
    They seem to screen out people for reasons that seem to me to be discrimination
    They are not open to people in public facing roles who are not visually appealing.
    It can be a little exclusive in their attitudes. Our disabled friend applied more than 100 times and once they found out he was disabled they never even called his references. He know works in a similar role for a Fortune 100 company and is doing great there. I think Compassion can be hard for people who are not traditional types of candidates to be considered. I would not recommend disabled people or those with involuntary absences from the workforce apply here. They will not fairly consider you

Advice to Management

Think outside the box more often and seek to see the value and potential in non-traditional people.
    Keep praying
    Keep serving

3. "Ministry Focus with real people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone understands the vision, supports it and wants to have an impact in it. Good benefits.

Cons

Lots of meetings, even though it's a ministry we have real people who disagree on how things should be done, this can cause individuals to disengage when they shouldn't

Advice to Management

Be more visible to staff, not just once a quarter.

5. "Great Christian Organization"

Former Employee - Sponsor Donor Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sponsor Donor Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits both health care and time off.

Cons

Its a ministry, which means there are people who should have been let go a long time ago.

"Compassion is committed to employee and staff care in addition to a strong mission"

Current Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compassion continues to excel with the Gallup engagement survey and program. Compassion is focused on staff care and development, providing many opportunities for internal advancement

Cons

More work from home opportunities would be desirable. Compassion offers limited opportunities for an organization that is global. Very few cons.

Advice to Management

Management continues to invest in leadership development and culture.

7. "A Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong Christian values, meaningful work, excellent facilities and benefits, opportunities to work with international staff, improving infrastructure, management is typically interested in staff as people and works to lead them and develop them well

Cons

Some problems with bureaucracy, lack of international staff at headquarters and in decision-making positions, lack of diversity in senior management, tendency to take on more projects than can be accomplished at one time

8. "Sponsor Donor Services"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Compassion International (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. Very pro employee with a family atmosphere. Loved every minute of it!

Cons

Was hired for as a full time temparary employee. Wish I would of known 40 hour weeks were not actually guarteed for the 6 month assignment. Im a single mom and was sent home numerous weeks with only 30-32 hours.

Advice to Management

More upfront details with hours for temporary assignments.

"Great Mission & People - Leadership Needs Work and Prayer"

Former Employee - Human Resources Systems Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Systems Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Each employee knows the impact their contribution makes on releasing children from poverty. The org does a great job of internally communicating mission.

Cons

Managers and directors are often not who they portray themselves to be. I left because my boss wanted me to break the law in relation to HIPPA. Knowing internal practices it's likely I was marked non-rehire-able by him before he was fired for misconduct. Often employees are made miserable by terrible leaders micromanaging them.

Advice to Management

End the politics, consider having leadership raise their own support like a missionary. Executives with 6-figure salaries are not compatible with poverty elimination organizations.

10. "Workplace Wow"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The community was wonderful, the organization had a strong mission, and they really sold that mission to the employees. It felt like, even in my temporary position, I was contributing to the greater mission, and I was meant to be there at that time.

Cons

It is difficult to get a job there as their positions are in such high demand, and they want highly qualified individuals filling those positions. It's great, just difficult.

"7.5 Years- so happy to move on"

Former Employee - SDS Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - SDS Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Good mission, great sponsor, kids are amazing...In spite of the way ministry treats employees- Kids are being blessed each day.

Cons

Top down leadership. If you have an idea and you aren't blessed enough to be a manager- just keep it to yourself- NO one will ever listen to you. Gallup Polls are a joke- they do not listen to results & have no intentions of changing culture. 7 of 10 on my team have left since January 2016 and for whatever reason they don't think there is a problem. This is due to micromanagement, poor leadership, lack of trust, strict rules (log into computer to let management know you are going to the bathroom). Wow...maybe I could just raise my hand and ask permission- Don't get me wrong- I love this mission, love the kids I sponsor- but until there are massive leadership changes (and I mean massive) I want nothing more to do w/ this organization. No I didn't cancel my kids...will I sponsor a new child as mine leave the program- no way. Do I think that HR will read this review and make changes, or respond- nope. Do I hope applicants will consider what they are walking into- I hope and pray.

Advice to Management

You have great people working for you- SDS leadership- pay attention. Let them do their jobs. Trust them. Wow...stop demanding mandatory OT...hire enough people - stop calling your software a tool to get the right # of people to do the job & call it what it is...a giant micromanagement system...then get rid of it. You are making your workforce miserable. And- if you do a survey- listen to the results. Don't do it for the mere purpose of explaining away your silly rules. We don't trust you anymore & expect that when you do a survey you will feed us a meal simply to explain why our opinions are wrong. (and...lo and behold you didn't disappoint us last time you did a survey)....and did things get better? Nope...they only got worse (again)