KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 247 of over 324 reviews

4.1
Compassion International President and CEO Jimmy Mellado
Jimmy Mellado
Pros
  • "Releasing children from poverty globally is a powerful thing to support(in 22 reviews)

• "Great mission, very engaged staff(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry(in 18 reviews)

• "Spiritually if you say you are a Christian, you are in(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Compassion International and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Amazing!

Nov 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

everything. They value their employees, the team connection, the support, opportunity for growth, etc.

Cons

honestly not many cons I can think of. They are wonderful.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Nov 22, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible benefits -Competitive pay -Great mission -Christian culture

Cons

-Lots of growing pains. Lots of strategic changes happening from leadership resulting in reorganization. With that being said, I believe Compassion's best days are ahead of us. This reorg is needed to get us there.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good pay and benefits, otherwise not a great place to work.

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

US-based employees are paid way above market rate and you are rarely expected to work over 40 hours a week. Plenty of paid leave to make use of. The organization wants to change--there has been a big push form senior leadership to improve program quality. Unfortunately, there is also enormous resistance to change.

Cons

Compassion is decades behind the industry in terms of evidence-based decision making, and even farther behind in terms of equity and inclusion. This is evidenced best by the management that sits 1-2 levels below the C-seat positions: almost all of these individuals (especially those who have the most influence) are white, outside of the regional leaders. Further hampering the organization is that many people have been around for a very long time and are resistant to change. Many people are not qualified to do their jobs. There is a lot of politics and backstabbing, so unless you have been around for a long time and have ingratiated yourself with powerful people, you have to be constantly watching your back. Otherwise, you will get marginalized and pretty soon people will be trying to get you fired. Because of this environment, most people seem afraid to take risks and decisions are usually made based on who is friends with whom, not what is best for the organization.

7 people found this review helpful

Compassion International Response

Thank you so much for your review and for speaking candidly about your experience so far at Compassion. We are relentless in our efforts to learn, grow and improve. That’s an across-the-board philosophy for every part of our ministry, including our hiring processes. Compassion has talent acquisition representatives across the globe, who help us find the most diverse talent pool possible for every position. Our hiring philosophy has been and will continue to be: hire the best talent possible, offer pay and benefits that are competitive with other non-profits, be good stewards of all we have been entrusted with and honor Scripture that says a “worker deserves his wages.” You also address resistance to change in your review. You are correct that we have been undergoing a great deal of change at Compassion. We have placed a strong emphasis on innovation in effort to meet our future needs as well as the expectations of our supporters. While resistance to change can always be expected to some degree in any organization, we are committed to the changes necessary to move our ministry forward, while making every effort to educate staff about the need for that change. Improvement takes work. And, as you continue your tenure here at Compassion, we believe you’ll see the intentionality and effort we’ve put into always learning, growing, and improving.

4. 4.0

Amazing Organization

Aug 11, 2021 - Administrative Assistant III in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent vision, christ centered leadership, excellent employee care. For a nonprofit, pay and benefits are extremely progressive and comprehensive. Amazing leaders. Care for work/life balance is excellent. I was extremely supported and cared for.

Cons

there are lots of people overqualified for their jobs because they just adore Compassion.... which is amazing, unless you're young and hoping to grow. If you're in a growth phase of your career, moving vertically in any way is extremely difficult. Growth opportunities are hard to come by. Both my managers and HR agreed with me in my exit interview that as much as they wanted me around, it made more sense from a growth perspective to go to another firm. I'd love to come back one day.

1 person found this review helpful

Compassion International

Thank you so much for sharing. Please stay connected!

5. 5.0

Best Company In the World

Jul 1, 2021 - Social Media Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is unmatched and the management cares deeply about your future, your career and your life outside of work. I've never worked for a better place. I absolutely loved my time with Compassion and am so grateful for it.

Cons

It's tough to move out of the department you're in

Compassion International

Thank you so much for sharing!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Grateful

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Grateful that Compassion is growing its capabilities and expanding its reach to holistically serve children and their families who are living in poverty, especially in this COVID season. In the United State and other developed countries, vaccines are starting to save many lives and many see light at the end of the tunnel. In the developing world, the suffering continues on top of the already painful circumstances that come with poverty. Keep working to reach more!

Cons

More people need to know about Compassion and how its strategy is discipleship through local church partnerships.

Compassion International

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Translating S2B letters

Sep 20, 2021 - Interpreter/Translator
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great and positive work environment with room for growth

Cons

Bureaucracy as the position gets higher

Compassion International Response

Thank you for sharing! We appreciate your thoughts.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Toxic Environment

Sep 8, 2021 - Digital Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There used to be lots of pros but no more.

Cons

Controlling leadership. Sexist and racist staff get promoted. All about money and personal career growth for the men’s club.

Compassion International Response

We want to thank you for your service to Compassion and we’re very sorry to hear your experience wasn’t everything you had hoped for. However, we have a very different view of our culture. First and foremost, racism and sexism have no place in Compassion’s work environment. Compassion does not tolerate any behavior or speech that discriminates based on a person’s race, age, or gender. We care so deeply about this that, over the past several years, we have made several intentional, strategic moves to elevate and advance diversity, equity and inclusion within our workforce. And while this is still an active area of focus for us, we celebrate the following progress: • In the last year, five of our eight internal promotions to VP level positions were of women. • Over the last five years, we have doubled representation of women on our board of directors: four out of ten outside directors are currently women. • Also in the last five years, three of our top five non-U.S. funding countries are now led by women CEOs. • Three years ago, an independent, outside firm conducted a comprehensive analysis of Compassion’s compensation program. The data shows equity in compensation between genders and ethnicities across Compassion’s global ministry. • In the past 18 months, even when many organizations have experienced workforce reductions and hiring slowdowns, Compassion has increased its representation of women in leadership roles (director and above) in the U.S. by 3%. • 40% of our director level and above positions across our organization are filled by racially diverse employees. • Over the last decade, our Global Executive Team has gone from zero gender or ethnic diversity to a majority (four out of seven) executives who are either from a diverse ethnicity or are women. • Two years ago, Compassion created a new position to champion and drive gender, racial and age diversity as well as equity and inclusion efforts throughout Compassion. Those ongoing efforts are being led by a woman. • And lastly, our leader performance evaluation process holds our senior leaders at Compassion accountable for improving our diversity, equity and inclusion. So, while we do not agree with your assessment of our culture, we will always be committed to continuous improvement and are pleased to have made very good progress through practical action.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great workplace

Jun 25, 2021 - Software Developer Intern in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great workplace with amazing people, the team is always willing to help and they are great examples of a Christian Organization

Cons

I haven’t personally experienced any cons at the moment

Compassion International

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Healthy, Hard-working Culture - 100% for One Another

Sep 18, 2020 - Donor Relationship Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

After working at other nonprofits for 7 years, being at CI the past two years has been such a gift. They value health and boundaries as well as hard work. I am constantly amazed at how hard my team works on behalf of children but also how they don't burn out because boundaries and resting on weekends is valued. The culture shows genuine care as our team is 100% for one another and our CEO leads with humility and integrity. There is so much more I could say here but I just so appreciate the humility and honesty of the organization in recognizing where they need to improve, how they don't settle but create plans to fix their issues, how they give honest feedback on what is needed and expected of us as staff in our roles and how to encourage us in our faith.

Cons

Our technology/processes can sometimes be a bit behind and it's clear that hurts our donors some times (in donating or writing to their sponsored children, etc.). I know they are working on improving this but it seems to be a complex and slow change.

3 people found this review helpful

Compassion International

Thank you for sharing! We value your heart for the mission and your commitment to being 100% for one another. We hope to continue working towards more streamlined processes that enhance the supporter and employee experience. We appreciate your service!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 247 Reviews